[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the sound of a band running on empty. The sound of a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 7
File: pw.png (2 MB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
pw.png
2 MB, 1400x1400
This is the sound of a band running on empty. The sound of a group whose legendary status is pushed aside and instead replaced with a cheap imitation. The sound of a band not caring. The sound of a band striving to achieve yet ultimately failing horribly. AnCo still have a special place in my heart, of course, but Painting With feels like a mockery of what they do best and an overall “fuck you” to the genre they helped define. What should have been a brand new creative peak for the band is instead a soft, quiet whimper. AnCo have many impressive, stellar, and unparalleled releases. This is definitely not one of them.
>>
>>62618230
>AnCo have many impressive, stellar, and unparalleled releases.
name some of them
>>
It sounds like Geo wasn't even involved, it just sounds like Avey's and Panda's recent sounds smashed together
>>
>>62618230
Don't think so buddy/10
>>
>>62618257
damn...u got me :(
>>
>>62618257
op here, spirit, strawberry jam, and mpp are godlike! that stinky centipede hz and danse manatee can go take a hike, though. I'm a free thinker!
>>
HCTI, STGSTV, and MPP
>>
>>62618357
meant to quote >>62618257
>>
>>62618230
Spirit was fucking amazing, so sad they only made one album like that
Danse was fucking amazing, I love the textural experiments and the exotic deep they did, honestly one of my favorites
Hollindagain was weird... It was really interesting to hear them just go insane live but still
Here Comes.... Was not as good as their first two but still very trippy and primal
Sung Tongs is really fucking comfy and druggy, I really like it
Feels marked the beginning of them selling out, but surprisingly it's a very soft and psychedelic album
SJ is their return to form, best since STGSTV. Varied, sunny, energetic, I love it.

After that they just got worse and worse. I hate AnCo now.
>>
>>62618493
MPP is their best.
>>
>this is the sound of a band running on empty
I disagree completely
>>
>>62618230
Pasta tier/10
>>
File: 1432259490310.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1432259490310.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
>listening to PW
>absolutely loving it
>midway, I check Pitchfork for the reviews
>it's a 6
>suddenly hates it

WHAT THE FUCK I CAN'T EVEN TRUST MYSELF
>>
>>62618297
>>62618357
It's like poetry. it rhymes.
>>
>>62618230
>The sound of a band not caring
>The sound of a band striving to achieve
If you're going to contradict yourself that horribly at least don't do it back to back lol
>>
>>62619413
>reading shitfork
>>
>>62618230
>people cant hear the pcmusic / danny r hayle fast paced electronic influences.

I love it
>>
>>62619508
This OP is a wannabe critic retard
>>
I agree, they sound spent. Almost totally out of good ideas, save for a glimmer here and there.

>an overall “fuck you” to the genre they helped define.
What genre though? And please don't say 'indie'
>>
how can this delicious album be so divisive
>>
>>62621163
pitchfork
>>
>>62621178
Yeah, that's gotta be the only reason. Nothing to do with the uninspired melodies peppering almost the entire thing.
>>
>>62618230
Hey, good to see somebody is using the alt art I made and posted to reddit is using it for shitty bait threads. Now I know how to tell who are fellow redditors. May the narwhal bacon at midnight for you m'gentlesir!
>>
>>62619761
bitchspork is a better1 desu, its like pottery. it rhymes
>>
>>62622163
but makes less sense with "spork" included.
>>
>>62618257
hcti
spirit
sj
st
mpp
>>
>>62618230
I like how all the negative opinions only surfaced after the pitchfork review.
muh pitchfork tells me what i like and dislike
>>
>>62623591
le ur head --> O
le the joke --> -==joke
>>
>>62618230
>I am a poopy doo-doo head
what did OP mean by this?
>>
>>62623934
Far from true. About the negative opinions I mean, not /mu/ being disgusting musical zombies.

For at least a day or two people were rightfully condemning this disappointing album before p4k.
>>
>>62618230
I like how our view on the album here became much more negative after the pitchfork review came out even though we pretend to hate them
>>
>>62624054
>rightfully condemning
it's an 8.4 mate, otherwise I agree tho
>>62624111
>our
>>
>>62621814
you just got memed, folks
>>
>>62623934
I don't agree at all
We've always seen people around here bashing PW before that Pitchmeme review
I never thought it was awesome neither thought its bad

It's a very decent album

As Ive read before, Bagels and On Delay are to each other like Reverend Green is to Fireworks
Its that based moment in the album

Then you have tracks like Vertical and Floridada which are also tremendously good

Congratulations AnCo
>>
>>62624319
Oh, and also The Burglars
>>
>when everyone is upset that they changed the taste of coke, yet again

this album is so different from their old stuff but still 100% anco

desu I was getting really fucking burned out on everything that they'd done before and this is a huge breath of fresh air.
>>
I couldn't get past a couple songs. Same deal with Grim Reaper, but just more Anco sounding.

Not surprised that it got royally panned. Nice to see a lot of people who swore on it jumping ship.

I might finish the album this week, but I don't see the point.
>>
>>62624372
more like a breath of fresh turd shit straight into your ears. I can't stand this album, definitely one of the worst yet.
>>
How's p4k been treating you op?
>>
FloriDada, Hocus Pocus, Lying in the Grass, Natural Selection, Bagels in Kiev, On Delay, Golden Gal and Recycling are all amazing tracks tbqh. I have only listened to it 3 times and those are the ones that stuck out for me. The others might be good too but I have to listen to it a few more times before I can say something about them. As a whole the album is very cohesive and catchy. I wanna dance almost the entire time while I listen to it. It definitely is nothing mindblowing tho. They will probably never again create something like Feels again. Albums like that can only come from a certain place which they aren't in anymore. Now they are grown ups, with family, a stable life, money, connection in the music industry and very much knowledge of how to make music. They can only do what they are good at now, and they did exactly that with Painting With. A cohesive, catchy pop album with their typical kinda weird and eccentric twist. But we will never get a truly experimental and crazy experience like their earlier stuff again because they just can't anymore.
>>
>>62624760
>FloriDada
>Hocus Pocus
>Recycling
>Amazing
FUCKING KILL YOURSELF SHIT TASTE FAGGOT.
>>
>>62618257
everything but hz
i still like it tho
>>62618230
nah familia you just dont like the album
i really great
maybe you were expecting something with MPP tier songwriting but you know there arent much bands that can pull off something as good as that aside from maybe the beatles and the beach boys.
PW is more experimental and psychedelic than pop, even tho people were expecting the opposite, still, the songwriting isnt bad, i've been singin golden gal and bagels in kiev since the leak.
you just need to realise this isnt the same band that made MPP, just as the band that made MPP wasnt the same that made HCTI
>>
>>62624791
ok i do it
>>
>>62624760
>leaving out the best track Vertical

why are you pricks such contrarians
>>
File: bmbm.png (246 KB, 578x345) Image search: [Google]
bmbm.png
246 KB, 578x345
Someone please post the Deakin version of the album cover
>>
File: wdd.png (574 KB, 1308x1008) Image search: [Google]
wdd.png
574 KB, 1308x1008
>>62624844
I gotta say Vertical is the only track that I didn't enjoy that much.
who did this btw
>>
>>62624939
lol
>>
File: freakin with deak.png (792 KB, 1080x1073) Image search: [Google]
freakin with deak.png
792 KB, 1080x1073
>>62624871
>>
Everyone seems to love golden girls

http://strawpoll.me/6838420
>>
am I retarded or this album hard to understand? I can barely make out what they're singing most of the time
>>
y'all know this is a copypasta right
>>
File: mw10t.png (152 KB, 436x351) Image search: [Google]
mw10t.png
152 KB, 436x351
>>62624998
Fucking gorgeous
>>
>>62618493
>Feels marked the beginning of them selling out, but surprisingly it's a very soft and psychedelic album
you are a fucking idiot
have you ever listened to Bees on acid?
stfu
how the fuck is half an album filled with ambient tracks "selling out"
it just has a cleaner sound you pretentious shitface
>SJ is their return to form, best since STGSTV
lmao
if it wasnt for FRG, Fireworks, #1 and Cuckoo Cuckoo, that album would be Hz tier
HCTI is their best album from an artistic point of view, is fantastic, it combines everything they did before it and makes something incredibly inmersive
the fact that you dont like MPP just makes you look like what you are
>b-but is soo clean
MPP has the best songwriting a pop band has done since the fucking 60's summer of love.
is full of textures and little details that fit the vibe perfectly.
is ok you that maybe you dont like pop music or something like that but you are a fucking moron
Hz is their only weak release
PW would be better than SJ if it wasnt for the for reverend green/fireworks/#1 streak.
go fuck yourself
and yeah im mad
im mad because i cant belive there a people so fucking musically iliterate like you in the year 2016, on a fucking music board.
pls fuck off to /tv/
>>
>>62625049
Is this the first anco albun youve heard?
>>
>>62625136
maybe
>>
they will kill it when this is played live
>>
>>62619413
the plebfork reviewer literally said
>waaah why can you guys come and plat banshee beat while i cry to the fact that im not in my 20's anymore
is a good album
the only reason why it feels kinda weird some times is because they didnt play the song while touring before recording them (or even making them)
is their true electronic/synthpop album and is great
>>
>>62625247
is good comment man
keep it up
is great
>>
>>62620678
they tried to make a straight forward radio friendly pop record.
it ended up being an straight forward anco synthpop record
they have never made synthpop
they arent out of ideas
just because it isnt post-rocky/ambient heavily influenced doesnt mean they are out of ideas
>>
I just wish the songs had more time to develop. I know they were intentionally avoiding long, building songs but the album reminds me of CHz in that the songs seems like snippets of something larger, it's just that unlike CHz they stand alone instead of being stitched together.
>>
>>62625130
>have you ever listened to Bees on acid
>this whole post

Holy fuck dude let me preface this by saying that I really like AnCo and LSD.

You didn't present ANYTHING that would change ANYBODY's mind with this post, you didn't explain why any of these albums are memorable or meaningful you're literally just posting songs and saying that's why they're so good. YOU are the cancer and YOU are killing this board, learn how to back up your opinions instead of just feeding off of your immature emotions and making the fanbase look like shit.

You are an incredible autist and should seriously fuck off, you give AnCo fans a bad name. Also, if you're only argument for a song being good is that "it's good on drugs" then the song isn't actually good.
>>
this album does not let up, like my 5th time listening today and the tracks just keep getting better

amazing work

spilling guts and summing the wretch are def growers but they grow Big on ya
>>
>>62625394
He backed up his points more than you did desu
>>
>>62625483
I'm not the anon he was replying to originally, they're both stupid but that guy sperging out needed to be told off. It's fine if you love AnCo too much, but at least be able to explain why past just "you don't understand!" and "you don't do drugs obviously!"
>>
Haters are really missing out on this one. Listen to spilling guts again, listen to the crazy breakdowns in natural selection, the few lines which are slowly dragged out and pitched down in hocus Pocus. This album has some breathtakingly hypnotic moments.
>>
>>62624054
not as much
i've been on drones wach belive me
>>62624435
is a great album, just dont expect MPP 2.0
is a completly different thing
>>62624760
>But we will never get a truly experimental and crazy experience like their earlier stuff again because they just can't anymore.
never say never faggot
im feeling a new anco era coming soon
early anco ended with sung tongs
mid era ended with MPP, which also started the era of Hz and i feel like PW is the closer to that era something new is going to happen.
the guys from anco always try to do different stuff, and i think they realize they cant keep pretending they are the hip experimental psychedelic pop band of the seasson.
next album will EAI masterpiece screencap this
>>
>>62625598
fuck off you sperg faggot read this post >>62625394 and get the hell off of this board
>>
I've listened to the album 3 times so far and I'm fucking loving it. Incredible songwriting. Great pacing. Never boring. Super catchy. Sure it's not as emotional as say Feels or STGSTV but who cares? Not every album they release should be feelsy. Anyway, the only reason pitchfork didn't like it was because AnCo are white and don't feel guilty about it. And what was that bullshit comment about MPP being feelgood because of Obama's 2008 win? Fucking ridiculous
>>
>>62625658
P4k is garbage friend you shouldn't take anything they say seriously. Old p4k was pretty good, but ever since like 2008 or so they've been taken over by shitty overly-political hipsters that don't know how to write reviews
>>
>>62625394
english isnt my first languege and is really hard to me to explain musical stuff in words generally.
so i guess i'll have to wait to someone to explain to you with apples and oranges why feels >>>>>>>>>>>>> SJ every fucking day
>>
>>62625743
I don't take them seriously. I was insulting them in my post.
>>
>>62625655
wow lad
>>
>>62625793
Alright then you really need to fuck off. If you post when you're that mad and can't even back up your post then what's the point? You called that other anon musically illiterate, but you just claimed to be musically illiterate as in you can't actually explain what's good about a song you enjoy or anything. Seriously dude fuck off from posting and stick to lurking until you can fucking back up your opinions at least.

>>62625796
>>62625658
>Anyway, the only reason pitchfork didn't like it was because AnCo are white and don't feel guilty about it.

Right there you're implying that P4k actually had a reason for their score/review/how they felt about the music. No, they don't even deserve that much recognition. I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't listen to the full albums they're reviewing and just skipped around listening to 30 seconds of each song, that's how off-topic and retarded their reviews are.

>>62625853
I'm sick of autists posting on this board just because they like music. It isn't about you liking music it's about you fucking discussing it, if you can't back up why you like or dislike a certain song or artist or whatever then you shouldn't be posting period.
>>
>>62625598
>never say never faggot
Obviously I can't look into the future. But I really doubt it. When they made those early albums they were young, they did drugs, probably had a messy life overall and they didn't have that much experience with music yet and experimented with everything they could think about. I just think they aren't capable of creating something like that again. They don't have the same creative process anymore because they all live their own stable life now. The early records felt like they were recorded while on drugs, with them all living together while recording with a lot of improvisation and crazy ideas. Their new stuff is much more planned out. Still great, but doesn't have that same spirit to it.
>>
>>62619906
this
lmao @ all the ppl who can't enjoy the album bc of pitchfork sad fucks find sum autonomy in ur life
>>
File: pandabear.jpg (94 KB, 750x877) Image search: [Google]
pandabear.jpg
94 KB, 750x877
>>62625444
GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA GROWIN ON YA

I feel the same way about burglars btw
>>
>>62625934
>but you just claimed to be musically illiterate
no im not
i know what timbre is, i know what melody and harmony are and kinda grasp how they work but i admit that theres stuff thats beyond me atm, i know about production, the reason why i like something is completly irrelevant, is subjective, i can just tell that i like the little violin details on bees more than any oher sound on derek.
lurking here wouldnt teach me shit this site is just memes.
i dont really argument about music i think is pointless (again all this shit is subjective) but AnCo is one of my favorite bands and claiming that with feels they started to "sell out" just fucking sickens me.
>I'm sick of autists posting on this board just because they like music. It isn't about you liking music it's about you fucking discussing it, if you can't back up why you like or dislike a certain song or artist or whatever then you shouldn't be posting period.
lmao
if you really think theres a chance this place will ever be a place for "discussing" music you really need to think a little deeper.
Why would you want to discuss music in the first place? most of the arguments i see on this place are extreamly close minded shit like
>fuck this this song is too long
or some shit like that
i agree on you on p4k
>>
>>62626003
just wait until panda and geo get JUSTed and avey gives them dem codeine and acid again
>>
>>62626394
wht about deak
hahaha
>>
>>62625658

I think is a subtle hit, not very raw and it doesn't try to stand out but it lulls you into a floating calm state then pulls you into this sort of unescapable vortex.

Centipede Hz tried too hard imo to create a dense atmosphere and bring it to you while painting with goes a more minimal route and draws you in

so good so fresh
>>
>>62626439
who??
>>
when this came out, everyone loved it,

when p4k didnt like it, everyone hates it

why does this happen every album youre fucking allowed to disagree with them
>>
>>62618230
Very nice. Just let me paste that into a RYM review so that I could seam smark
>>
Bagels atmosphere is unreal
God this is so good, I'm digging this track so much and I wasn't really paying attention to it on my first listens
>>
>>62626458
the deak
the bleak freak
the weak with the reek
>>
>>62618230
So you didn't like it?
>>
>>62626487
Well because when an album leaks it's mainly fans of the band listening to it + hype. Pitchfork reviewed a couple days later so general public got a listen to it so you're going to get a sometimes different general opinion

I dunno there's times where the opposite happens and pitchfork loves something and a ton of fucking people say it sucks

Who the fuck cares if you like it shill it if not shit on it
>>
>>62626487
>A lot of people itt saying its a good album
>everyone hates it

kek
desu i get your point but I cant agree with you
since the leak there's been a lot of people praising you but also we've seen a lot of people bashing it
stop meming /mu/, the only ones who care so much about music reviews are the op's of these kind of threads
>>
i wish Burglars was longer, like twice as long
>>
>>62626553
ikr, on first listen it all felt a bit underwhelming until I sort of settled into it and noticed all the amazing details
>>
>>62625444
Same

I hated Summing in the Wretch but its starting to become a underrated song imo
>>
>>62625103
i've never met someone with mw10t screencaps
>>
>>62626553
it has been my fave since the amazon samples :)
>>
>>62626635
>since the leak there's been a lot of people praising you but also we've seen a lot of people bashing it
the 2 first days after the shit leak there where like 2 bad comments for like 10 saying it was great
>>62626640
i feel ya
but with another section
or a cooler outro or something
>>
>>62626686
It was mine as well, Bagels and Vertical were my favourite samples
But once I listened to the album, although Vertical still kept one of my favourites, Bagels didn't make it for me

Now its like one of the best ones again, clearly
>>
>>62626679
The guy was fucking hilarious when he made videos with Brett in college.
>>
Wait, so did OP like or dislike the album?
>>
>>62626748
There were a lot of people hyped by it, but still there was a bunch of people saying the vocals on it were annoying as hell, etc
We might had more people praising it at the time but you could always find a lot of people saying it was even worse than CHz and that AnCo were done
>>
>>62626815
he didnt like it because he is a pleb
>>
>>62626640
I like, i think its panda bear's, vocals at the end in the background of burglars

that part needed to go on for like another min
>>
>At first, it embarrassed me. Men who had been covered in The New York Times had no business squealing like infants. But in the squealing there was the promise of a safe space, a circle of protection in which I was invited to experience feelings that didn’t have a place anywhere else.

AnCo's music = safe music for fragile internet people
>>
>>62626847
>We might had more people praising it at the time but you could always find a lot of people saying it was even worse than CHz and that AnCo were done
i remember like 5 dudes who probably was the same fag over and over again with no replies
>>
>>62626910
that's not what he was saying you illiterate pitchfork faggot
>>
>>62627000
I know I was doing a thing called inferring, it's what we adults do, you emotional cripple :3
>>
>>62627030
no that's what confident stupid people do
>>
>>62627114
lol nice inference

you're really rude
>>
>>62627153
Yea well you rape babies so whatever
>>
>>62627299
why do you say that
>>
Never listened to Animal Collective before and this is awesome
Are all their albums like this? I'm blown away by this this is fresh af
>>
>>62627526
Yes
>>
>>62618493
please never attempt to describe anything again before going back to school and learning more adjectives
>>
>>62627526
>Are all their albums like this?
Nope

But this borrows a bit from "Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper" and "Down There" by Avey Tare

Honestly I can't think of an anco album that really fits this new style (that i'm loving) I'd Listen to their most popular albums to get a feel for 'em

>MPP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L99wAbddt4Y&list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ1lSPbxpuTK288FXNy-2tQq
>Sung Tongs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jJOk5MpFM
>Feels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfpIAu7Fymg
>Jam of a Lifetime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goOFD04FjGk
>PBVSGR (Panda Bear Solo)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ1qG0jZlRph5TTs6iMaVenO
>Down There (Avey Tare Solo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFp4JZTR8Q
>>
>>62627384
im inferring it from what you said, i like this "inferring" thing!
>>
>>62627913
Thank you pal
Im listening to that In the Flowers and I'm really liking it, these guys sound dope
>>
>>62624211
underrated
not even memeing
>>
>>62627962
oh damnit. hoist by my own pet r
>>
>>62625227
this. I can't wait.
>>
>The sound of a band not caring. The sound of a band striving to achieve yet ultimately failing horribly

But those are different things you dumb idiot
>>
>>62625227
>>62628050

This is gonna be their best tour for sure
Hope they'll sound amazing, this has potential to sound better than MPP and their oldest records live
>>
6.2 jesus christ. its over
>>
>>62619413
this. I hate myself for letting a review affect what I think of music but damn
>>
>>62628296
Dude its not that hard

Normies go by the standard
>"Do these guys play well the instruments?" Do I like it? Has the singer a great voice? Then it's good"

Patricians go by
>"Does this innovate music in any way? Is this at least trying to change the music scene in any way? Is it challenging to listen to? Then its good"

Although Painting With does not challenge most of patricians, it has its own style overall. They do approach new ways of singing and all that
It might not be their best but its good

Now its also up to you if you like it or you dont, which always matters

Listening to music it's quite simple actually
>>
>>62626640
just wait for the live show, I'm hoping to god that it gets extended out to brother sport levels of insanity
>>
>>62628007
Just wait until you start getting into their early shit
If you manage to do so you'll realize it's fucking transcendental, listen to Sung Tongs asap m8 because it's the most accessible of them and also likely the best
>>
Does anyone have a leak that isn't dj aaron?
>>
>>62630248
check rutracker m8, in 320 and flac
>>
>>62630276
nigga that shit is russian
>>
>>62630248
>2016
>no what.cd account

bahahahahaha
>>
Link please and not that faggot who ruined the album
>>
I must say, as someone who doesn't consider himself a very big AnCo fan, I really like Centipede Hz and Painting With.

I don't really know what fans dislike about this album. It's a good one. They pull off some pretty complex writing on it.
>>
>>62630248
it's on the pirate bay dot oh arr gee man
>>
>>62630560
not that guy, but I had a what.cd count for a couple of years and it was recently deactivated for inactivity.

For all the shit you have to put up with as a what.cd user, it really isn't worth having the account. The benefits don't outweigh the disadvantages.
>>
>>62630346
ha pleb
>>
>>62630346
use Google translate and make an account, it's actually a really good torrent site, likely the best public one out there
if you can't translate it just look up an English guide for signing up, in fact I'm pretty sure there's one on the wiki linked in the sticky
>>
>>62631026
not that guy but using your account doesn't seem like a very high bar to meet
>>
>>62630924
im a huge fan and I love both albums, I think people are way too nostalgic for their older stuff. so hearing more compact songs from them freaks people out
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.