[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all just admit nigga* on the moon is their worst album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11
File: 1306200318406559098_811201_v1.jpg (35 KB, 400x566) Image search: [Google]
1306200318406559098_811201_v1.jpg
35 KB, 400x566
Can we all just admit nigga* on the moon is their worst album
>>
>>62615387
yes, that's an objective fact
>>
>>62615387
Hah, it's the best though
>>
Objective Order Ranked Top 1:
NLDW>JD>EXMIL>MS>GP>NOTM
>>
>>62615387
>>62615399
>>62615500
fucking plebs I swear

>>62615420
this

NOTM > NLDW > EXMIL > MS > JD = GP
>>
File: fashion who?.png (36 KB, 804x363) Image search: [Google]
fashion who?.png
36 KB, 804x363
objective.
>>
>>62615734
>JD and GP on the bottom
I must puke and I have no mouth
>>
Fucking hell

NLDW>NOTM>GP=JD=TMS>ExMil
>>
niggas on the moon is pretty shit ye
heres the correct rankings

NLDW > GP > JD > TMS > EX > NOTM
>>
>>62615916
Ok but exmil was better than tms and gp is not better than tms soooo
>you're wrong
>>
>>62615895
Switch exmil and notm and you have a fairly less pleb opinion
>>
>>62616049
>less pleb
There are like 4 good songs on ExMil, maybe. NOTM meanwhile has Big Dipper and Billy, Not Really, 2 of their best songs (definitely not the best, but still really strong) and the only 'bad' track is Up My Sleeves, which really isn't that bad.

Plus when you factor in Zach Hill performing the whole damn thing (save for vocals, obviously) on a drum kit, it becomes obvious that more creative thought went into that release than ExMil.

That's not to say ExMil's bad, it's just not on par with their later material. If they would have replaced some of the weaker tracks with Live from Death Valley and Death Grips (Next Grips), I might agree with you.

I'm also of the mind that Full Moon is the worst song they've ever made. Just to give you some perspective.
>>
NLDW>GP=NOTM>Exm>TMS>JD
>>
>>62615734
>GP at the bottom
it's you who is the pleb
>>
>>62615387
Stefan here - fuck you
>>
Contrarian (but not fake) opinion coming through

GP>JD>TMS>NLDW>NOTM>EXMIL
>>
File: 1451946673450.jpg (100 KB, 540x394) Image search: [Google]
1451946673450.jpg
100 KB, 540x394
>>62616160
>there are like 4 good songs on exmil
Nice bait
>>
>>62615387
nope, it's one of their best

>>62616232
GP wears off too fast

>>62615784
'no'

OBJECTIVE RANKINGS:

TPTB > NLDW > EXMIL > TMS > GP > EP
>>
>>62616329
>JD and TMS over NOTM and NLDW
Please elaborate.
>>62616407
Beware, Spread Eagle Cross the Block, I Want It I Need It, Blood Creepin
There, I named them. Happy?
>>
>>62615734
NOTM > NLDW > GP > TMS > EXMIL > S/T > DV > shit > JD = FW
>>
>>62616442
JD carries the fuck out of NOTM on TPTB so you have to split them up seperately. Also you're opinion on GP is dead wrong
>>
>>62616550
Backwards IMO, NOTM carries JD. JD has a bunch of shit tracks, whether you want to admit it or not. NOTM only has maybe 1 or 2.

Also, your is used to indicate possession, you're is used to indicate action.
>Your opinion is shit
>You're shitting all over a good opinion
>>
>>62616484
>leaving out culture shock
>and that sick transition to 5D
>being this much of a contra poser pleb to leave out takyon on purpose
>>
objective rankings::
NLDW=NOTM=GP=EXMIL=JD=TMS
>>
>>62616621
Because Takyon's not good, it's just OK. Fine, we'll say culture shock is good too. Even though 5D isn't really much of a song, we'll call that good too, and even Klink.

Then you've still got Lord of the Game, which is OK for some of the Black Google stuff but is just bad as a song. Guillotine is alright, but still worse than the worst NOTM song. Face it, the worst stuff on NOTM is still not worse than the worst stuff on ExMil, and there's just a higher ratio of good songs on NOTM
>>
Could be their worst but its what got me into them and why I took the time to listen to powers that b, which is thier best for me
>>
>>62616604
>JD has a bunch of shit tracks
Except it doesn't. It's actually their album with the most replay value because of how dynamic each track is
>NOTM only has 1 or 2 shit tracks
Except the whole album is filler arc spewd with nonsensical lyrics that faggots exaggerate the fuck out of and annoying ass bork samples
>your taste is shit
>you're pleb
Sorry but I don't have time to be grammatically correct 24/7 when I'm micromanaging other threads that are all doing iron man numbers at the same time
>>
>>62616484
I think both NOTM and NLDW had some nice ideas, but they just kind of dragged towards the end for me. Not much to elaborate, really. I just felt more invested in TMS and JD, and felt it was more diverse in sound and ideas. Some of the highlights on NOTM and NLDW are the peak of their material, but it felt more like one long proof of concept to me, than an album with different sounds. I guess it can be boiled down to if you like consistency or diversity the best. I dunno.
>>
>>62616550
>>62616604
>JD carries the fuck out of NOTM on TPTB
other way around, although they rely on each other too much to be separated. The listener is left feeling incomplete if he only listens to one half.

>opinion on GP is dead wrong
No, it's the truth. GP is very enjoyable but its novelty wears off very fast, whereas their other albums sound brand new every time you listen to them. Overall though, it's pretty hard to rank the albums since they don't even have a single weak release.
>>
Its their best album and I was sorely saddened when JD didn't continue that sound and they probably wont either on further albums, which is even sadder.
>>
>>62616955
after listening to Hothead for the 85th time, I have to say I'm more excited for BP than ever before. I like this evolution.
>>
Government Plates = The Money Store > Jenny Death > Niggas on the Moon > Exmilitary > No Love Deep Web > Fashion Week
>>
>>62616868
>Except it doesn't
PSS PSS, The Powers that B, and Centuries of Damn aren't good. Maybe CoD, but the others just aren't good. I will say that Inanimate Sensation is one of their better ones, and IBMWMFITUS is alright, but the ones listed above almost always get skipped.
>nonsensical lyrics
That's like all of DG, don't even try to argue otherwise. There's maybe a song's worth of intelligible lyrics in their whole discography. Listening to DG for lyrical content would be a huge mistake, especially since you can barely understand Ride in the first place.
>annoying ass bjork samples
I don't find them annoying, although I guess I can see someone else thinking so.

>>62616901
I can see that, although NOTM's brevity helps it to not get too stale. Really there's only so much you can do with Bjork drums. I don't see the same really applying to NLDW. I think a more apt comparison would be that TMS and JD are all over the place, with all sorts of different atmospheres, but NLDW really tries to create a consistent vibe through the whole thing. I'd say the sounds and ideas are just as diverse, but also refined to yield specific feelings in the listener. I can see someone preferring a bunch of different soundscapes, though.
>>
>>62616736
Ok so you just admitted there are at least 8 good songs on exmil. The filler that is known as NotM consists of 8 songs and you admitted that 2 of them are bad.
8>6, exmil>notm
So you finally admit NotM is their worst album?
>>
>>62617202
>PSS PSS, The Powers that B, and Centuries of Damn aren't good
I just stopped reading there
>>
>>62616160
>Up My Sleeves
>bad
Bruh that's the best song
>>
>>62617302
how can Up My Sleeves be the best one when the outro of Billy Not Really exists?
>>
>>62617208
Look at the density. Exmil has a total of 13 tracks, so 5 bad ones if we say that there are 8 good.

I only said that NOTM had one maybe bad one, which was Up My Sleeves. I still like it, just not as much as some others. To answer >>62617302 , I feel the same way as >>62617330

So we've got 5/13 on ExMil are bad, 1/8 is maybe bad on NOTM. 5/13>1/8, so ExMil has a higher bad:good track ratio than NOTM.

>>62617297
Why do you think they're good?
>>
Death Grips haven't made a single bad track

try and refute this

pro tip: you literally can't

you actually cannot
>>
File: 1453963974686.png (70 KB, 261x277) Image search: [Google]
1453963974686.png
70 KB, 261x277
>>62617202
>listening to DG for lyrical content would be a huge mistake
Why are you even listening to DG then
>>
>>62617443
Have a sad cum, fuck me out, one of the runways
>>
>>62617538
>Have a sad cum, fuck me out
both are a flawless
>>
>>62617443
Full Moon

Done.

>>62617519
For the musical content? I appreciate Ride's intensity and would totally hate to see him go, but as far as actual words, I feel like there's just not an understanding to be had in most of it.
What do you get out of the lyrics?
>>
>>62615500
>>62615734
Oh please you guys

NotM>EP>FW=GP>JD>NLDW=TMS>ExM
>>
>>62617330
It's not as raw or interesting as up my sleeves
>>
>>62617538
>fuck me out
>not PSS PSS
>>
>>62617566
>Full Moon
literally a death classic
>>
pls senpai
NLDW>NOTM>JD=GP>ExMil>MS
>>
>>62617398
>why do you think their good
Ok the first track you stated that aren't good on JD is PSS PSS and that starts off with some of the sickest lines ever.
>I SAW YOU DOING PEACE SIGNS WITH THE FBI
>MIGHT'VE TRIED THAT IN THE FUTURE BEFORE SO DON'T LIE
Like this alone is just tells me you're bad kid. Also idk why you're ignoring On GP which has some of the best flows Ride has ever spit
>>
>>62617623
It's just Ride screaming nonsense over Hill's frantic drumming. It's one of the few times that Hill's drumming sounds like it doesn't have a pattern to it, like he's just hitting whatever the fuck whenever the fuck because he can. He may not be, who knows. But the whole thing just feels super misaligned.

>>62617786
Explain to me what you see out of those lines. DESU I didn't really get the god-tier vibe from On GP that most people got.
>>
>>62617566
>Full Moon

I'm not joking, that remains their best song to date.
>>
>>62617831
There is a pattern, it's a sample from another one of Zach's songs and if you're too pleb to be able to pick up on the very clear pattern that is repeated throughout the song, that's your loss. The song is in 6/8
>>
>>62617831
Dude wtf are you even listening to. These lyrics are the reason for the title they all comply with THE POWERS THAT B
>>
>>62617831
>I can't understand it so its nonsense
Wew lad
>>
>>62617891
I can hear that there's a pattern, but the pattern is just all over the place, not really aligning with where Ride's vocals imply that the beat should be.
>>
>>62617202
Holy shit do all notmfags really think like this?
>>
>>62617872
I want you to explain what you get out of it and why they're so god-tier to you.
>>62617932
Not what I said. That's not even really important. What matters is that Ride is providing vocals that just don't align with Hill's drumming. That's all I'm saying.

>>62617987
It'd be nice if you'd quote what part you think is shit
>>62617987
>>
>>62618018
You don't read very hard literature too much do you?
>>
>>62615387
it's my favorite (and is actually one of my favorite albums) but sure man
>>
>>62617973
Except it totally does. It's actually really straightforward for the first seven beats of the bar, just sticking to 18th notes, then it briefly goes into a dragged polyrhythm for the rest of the bar, then back into a standard 6/8 beat

Ride starts his lines consistently at the same time relative to the best, and changes his tempo and infliction during the dragged part. By definition they are linked up throughout the song pretty strongly.

Plus the moment with the siren sample still makes me grin uncontrollably to this day
>>
>>62618039
>Sit in the dark and ponder how
>I'm fit to make the bottom fall through the floor
>And they all fall down - yah!
>(It goes, it goes, it goes, it goes, it goes, it >goes - yah!)
>Out of the shadows barrage of witch tongue
>Cobra spit over apocalyptic cult killer cauldron >smoke
>Stomp music seriously - yah!

Please explain to me what he meant by this.
>>
File: kHruzBM.png (174 KB, 416x396) Image search: [Google]
kHruzBM.png
174 KB, 416x396
>>62618051
>filler arc is one of his favorite albums
>>
>>62618114
>sit in the dark
He's obviously depressed or paranoid to comtemplate this in the dark
>ponder how I'm fit to make the bottom fall to floor
A guillotine falling, likely a symbol for suicide
>it goes it goes
It doesn't go away, the feeling of psychosis persists
>barrage of witch tongue cobra spit over cult killer cauldron
A witch and her poison in conjunction with mentiom of her tongue is used as a metaphor for something hella nasty thats been said and poisoned the narrator's mind, spirit, etc, while also dropping reference to Jim Jones' fun cult-killer kool aid
>>
>>62617566
Not him but the lyrics are absolutely delicious

I know there are deeper meanings behind them and I've seen funny/interesting explanations for them in /dgg's/, but my personal enjoyment comes from the pure aesthetic qualities of the words he uses and the way he delivers those words.

>MY FOREFINGER, FLIPPIN PENTAGRAMS

>CHEEK IN TONGUE, WHEN IN DOUBT, FEEL ME NOW
>VIOLATORS FEED EM VAPORS
>DON'T DO ME NO FAVORS

It's the combination of just the words themselves and the passionate delivery behind them. The words and sentences never feel prepared, they never feel contrived. None of it ever sounds like a carefully prepared speech. Now I don't mean this in a bad way, but it kind of sounds like a child talking to himself while playing with legos. Not the lyrics themselves, but the energy behind them. It's so carefree and addictive.
>>
>>62618114
>sit in the dark and ponder how
>I'm fit to make the bottom fall through the floor
MC ride is sitting in the dark asking himself why he has the license to kill
>and they all fall down
Fall down. You know. Like guillotines.
Also the lyrics to ring around the rosie
>out of the shadows barrage of witch tongues
>cobra spit over apocalyptic cult killer cauldron smoke
This is some sick imagery brought by a genius use of metaphors where Ride compares himself spitting on this track to a witch cackling away as Zach Hill (the cauldron) is providing the beat
>>
>>62618291
That's because its the best stream of conciousness lyricism that's been in music in decades

Stefan is incredibly talented at writing that way
>>
>>62618291
Don't get me wrong, I really like his vocals, and I agree when you say his alliteration is good. And I've seen that some of his lyrics have meaning, like:
>For all who deny the struggle the triumphant overcome
meaning that if you choose not to face a challenge, there's someone else that will and will reap the reward, so don't back down from any struggle.
>>
File: 1454123356016.gif (295 KB, 410x491) Image search: [Google]
1454123356016.gif
295 KB, 410x491
They're all terrible

I loved Death Grips until I actually learned a little about music :)
>>
>>62619463
>I loved Death Grips
No you didn't

>until I actually learned a little about music
No you didn't
>>
File: TICKETTORIDE.png (381 KB, 590x421) Image search: [Google]
TICKETTORIDE.png
381 KB, 590x421
TPTB>MS>EX>NL>GP

all of them are a 9 for me
>>
File: 1450114862478.jpg (182 KB, 808x808) Image search: [Google]
1450114862478.jpg
182 KB, 808x808
niggas on the moon is their best album and the money store is their worst
>>
>>62616621
Culture Shock is legit garbage and their only offensively bad song.
>>
>>62617443
Culture Shock, but that's it and it's almost there
>>
>>62621359
>>62621390
Culture Shock is legit perfect and a crucial component of Exm
>>
>>62615387
hell fucking no bitch are you retarded
>>
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as NOTM, is in fact, The Powers that B, or as I've recently taken to calling it NOTM plus Jenny Death. NOTM is not an album unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning complete album made useful by the opposing yet complementary styles and vital contributions of Bjork comprising a fully cohesive work of art.
>>
>>62621464
instrumentally, but it has a real failing lyrically and vocally
The instrumental almost save it for me, but just winds up being more frustrating because of it
>>
>>62615387

You know, niggas on the moon and ex-military are my favorites, if you disagree that's fine. It's just a subjective opinion. I still love you anon. Is it okay if I touch your dick? Right there, mhhh, your cock feels soft anon, would it help if I'd put my mouth around it? Yeah, you'd like that wouldn't you? Mhhhhhmmmm
>>
>>62621522
The lyrics are great though, look at them

although I guess it is a "lightweight" track compared to the rest. It's the "I've seen footage" of Exm
>>
>>62621616
most of the lines are good but shit like

>Useless information occupies every open space inside your skull

>You speak in abbreviations because real life conversation moves too slow

>Gonna be a mindless drone
>Won't ever have to think
>No your head'll be linked directly to your cell phone
>The virus is alive, I can see it in your eyes
>The infection is full blown

seriously put a damper on the rest for me
It's too smug and preachy
>>
>>62619463

> now I listen exclusively to anime ost
>>
>>62615387
You're a piece of fucking shit and I hate you because your opinion is different from mine.
>>
>>62621359
no what the fuck you pleb Culture Shock is an amazing song both LYRICALLY and INSTRUMENTALLY and that transition to 5D is so sick how could anyone have taste this fucking shit
>>
>>62623429
I specified here >>62621714
and here>>62621522
>>
>>62618437
>>62618256
This is actually sensible. Huh. Guess I'll have to look more up on genius, since I still can't understand most of what Ride says during a song.
>>
>>62615387
yea
>>
>>62617566
>Full Moon is bad
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>62624253
How does everyone think it's good? Flatlander's basically absent and Hill just decides to show off how good he is with Hella-tier drumming. Which works for Hella, but doesn't quite work as well here. For good frantic Hill drumming, go look at Live from Death Valley. And Ride's vocals are just all over the place. It feels like a total clusterfuck
>>
>>62624305
it's just a sample from Zach Hill's lil scuzzy
the track was already in place basically.
I happen to like Lil Scuzzy
>>
>>62624305
I guess youre just not FEELIN it.
>>
niggas on the moon is one of my favorites by death grips
>>
How can their most consistent, honest, lyrically challenging releases be the worst?

NOTM represents Stefan the most as a human being, it's quiet compared to their other stuff, wild and erratic but intimate and truthful, practically beta but with enough intelligence not to delve into self pitying.

Seriously, i swear people just listen to DG for loudness and pumped up lyrics which is the kind of thing they despise.
>>
File: clinton.png (332 KB, 465x683) Image search: [Google]
clinton.png
332 KB, 465x683
>>62625324
>i swear people just listen to DG for loudness and pumped up lyrics
that's literally one of their best features

>"plus you get to play it really loud" -Andy Morin
>>
>>62617566
I swear anon when I saw you typed "Full Moon", my face fell off with laughter and then when I saw "Done." I died.. You have got to be kidding me.
>>
>>62618114
it's thought provoking you dip. why do you have to know for certain what he's talking about? are you the type that needs their hand held?
>>
>>62623782
>rap genius
please stop
>>
>>62624305
they made that track is a few minutes. it was a raw finding
>>
Money Store is #1
>>
>>62616868
>filler arc
Nobody reply to this guy, he's a memester looking for attention
>>
>>62616911
>>62621515
>NOTM and JD can't be separated
>NOTM is not an album unto itself

bullshit. NOTM is perfectly coherent on its own.

It has a motif: love/sex:

>"Snatch my fetish"
>"I was conceived/by my disease"
>"Won't come near me/Treats me like a meteor/She scares me"
>"She's your experience/You're her experiment"
>"Pipes spike blonde kinks on my boots/ Approach me licking his fur, whining, "I demand a word"
>"It's a party/come early if you're lonely"
>"Your wife has a lovely neck"
>"Have a sad cum"
>(said in a way to blow someone off) "I'M BUSY OOOO"
>"Just don't touch me"
>"FUCK ME OUT"
>Maybe I belong to you/I'm sure you want me to
/My shadow's on to you/Voila-voila/I can't make you like voila/I'll make you love voila/Make you make love to volia
>it'll lick you/Like it likes you/cause it loathes you/even more than I do

it has a stylistic thread (Bjork samples) and a definitive ending (Volia: Big Dipper is the coda)

Jenny Death, on the other hand is a goddamn mess.

>>62617302
agree "Up My Sleeves" is the song, if not the worst, that hangs the least well with the rest of the album

>>62617443
Beyond Alive,Centuries of Damn

anyways

NLDW>NOTM>TMS>JD=GP=FW
>>
>>62627784
>Beyond Alive,Centuries of Damn
literally flawless
>>
>>62627784
Beyond Alive is great you weirdo
>>
>>62627827

literally shit

Ride's timbre and flow is at odds with the guitar parts in around half of the songs on Jenny Death (Beyond Alive, Centuries of Damn, Turned Off, On GP) on Jenny Death, and the hooks are all weak or nonexistent
>>
>>62628205
>Fuck the sun
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: ha.jpg (234 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
234 KB, 720x960
>>
>>62629581
I scanned the barcode and now have your facebook profile password Jeremy
>>
File: 1448284395962.jpg (29 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
1448284395962.jpg
29 KB, 500x322
>>62629624
>>
>>62629690
rek-kek-kek'd
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.