[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's so great about this? Why is it deserving of it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 4
What's so great about this?
Why is it deserving of it's acclaim?
>inb4 muh message
Sonically speaking, it's not impressive at all, so why is it held in such high regard. Just because of the "message". That's pretty weak.
>>
>Sonically speaking, it's not impressive at all

Are you deaf?
>>
>>62600745
>Sonically speaking, it's not impressive at all
listen to more music. you're clearly not ready for this masterpiece
>>
You fucking beta. Im probably the only guy on here to fuck over 20 girls
>>
>>62600745
it's not op, overrated trash. kids that just started listening to music think is great because they haven't been exposed to more music.
>>
>>62600817
>>62600822
Wow shitty jazz hop and corny funk that has been done since the 90s?! Wow so innovative! 96/100!!!!! best album of the 21st Century!!!!!!

Please, explain how it's impressive.
>>
>>62600934
lol if you can't hear it for yourself you're beyond redemption... if you need someone to "explain" music to you you might be retarded
>>
>>62601032
>I can't explain it.
Just admit it. You like it because you were told to like it.
>>
Album is trash. Cringe lyrics and nothing original. 0/10
>>
>>62600745
sonically speaking it is impressive.
checkmate
>>
garbage album
>>
White guilt pretty much. It's not that impressive. S80 & GKMC >>>>>>> this overrated album
>>
>>62601071
Just admit it. You don't like it because it is your right to form your own opinion about subject matter such as this one, and by going against the majority and voicing you dislike of it, especially at a time where people are particularly touchy about it not winning a specific accolade, you feel like you own a superior taste in art and thus are a better overall person.
>>
Discussion of this album has pretty much boiled down to "its shit!" vs "its good" with no explanation on either side. Fuck this board.
>>
>>62601071
I am not that guy but I like it because all of the lyrics are well-crafted and meaningful and sonically it's pretty pleasing to listen to. I listen to kanye for interesting and good music to listen to but TPABs message and overall theme is fantastic.
>>
>>62600745
white guilt the album, predictable tracks, lame production. kendrick's voice is grating
4/10
>>
>>62601958
Welcome to 4chan!
>>
>>62600822
>>62600745

It's certainly not a masterpiece.
Listen to it in 5 years, when no one cares about it and you'll see.
>>
>>62601958
ive never really been good at explaining why i like an album but for some reason i really cant explain why i like this album so i try to avoid talking about it on here.
whats your'e take on TPAB
>>
Kendrick is forever. He'll go down as one of the greatest rappers to have ever held a microphone. His words are like bolts of electricity to my ears that give my mind an orgasm. His performances are so full of showmanship and convey a powerful message. He honours his peers and his culture in an artistic way that is not matched by any other artist. In my opinion you can't even put him in a bubble with any other rapper, this man is on his own planet.
>>
>>62602067
ok
>>
>>62600745
It's a mediocre album that relies too heavily on nostalgia, cliche'd rap tropes (le funky jazz beats) and current social issues to trick the listener into thinking that it's good AKA the musical equivalent of Oscar bait
>>
File: 1455388107907.jpg (144 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1455388107907.jpg
144 KB, 550x550
>it's another "I don't get the appeal" thread

Why don't you at least make an attempt at explaining why you didn't find it impressive or great? Does it take too much effort to say something insightful? I guess it's much easier to just make shallow statements like "it's shit" or "it's great" and let the (Yous) commence.

Anyways, I personally thought it was sonically impressive for a popular hip hop record. It takes a lot of what was popular in hip hop during the 90s, and modernizes it without completely imitating it or making it trendy. It's not necessarily unique or original, but it's definitely not generic. I can't think of any recent hip hop album with the same kind of production as this and it doesn't really sound like it would belong in the mountain pile of 90s jazz rap.
>>
"Kendrick lost"

lost what? he's the most awarded artist of the night with 5 grammies... and only lost in the categories that have never showed hip hop some love.

more like you're mad because your favorite artist couldn't get a single nomination and you're trying to reverse that "L".
>>
When you compare To Pimp a Butterfly to The Life of Pablo, you learn that, in retrospect, To Pimp a Butterfly is a masterpiece.
>>
>>62602373
>AKA the musical equivalent of Oscar bait
this is the best way of describing it.
>>
>>62600866
Sure you did :^)
>>
>>62601071
Bro, although I preferred good kid maad city, I gotta admit the songs and the instrumentals are great in TPAB. It's not my favourite record ever made, and I doubt it will ever be, but you gotta recognize its value.
>>
>>62602958
Yes
>>
>>62603022
Kendrick is what Kanye wants kanye to be.
>>
>>62602958
MBDTF, College dropout and Late Registration shit on it though
>>
>>62603069
I'm pretty sure Kanye doesn't want to be a manlet hack who relies on current social issues to receive acclaim from white guilt ridden music publications instead of through actually good music.
>>
>>62602958
When you compare a raw potato to a bag of shit, you learn that, in retrospect, the raw potato is haute cuisine.
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+01.06.38).png (3 KB, 181x133) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+01.06.38).png
3 KB, 181x133
>>62603142
>I'm pretty sure Kanye doesn't want to be a manlet
>>
>>62603186
That is correct. What is defined as a masterpiece is in reference to the circumstances surrounding it.

A raw potato would be haute cuisine when compared to a bag of shit.
>>
>>62603227
>reading comprehension
>>
>>62601864
>>62602004
How is it white guilt if he's not white and white people weren't his target audience?
>>
>>62603142
He already made good kid maad city, which is almost unanimously praised here after being dismissed similar to how TPAB is now. I think this board just has to react whenever something is too acclaimed and they'll grab at the dirt to do so, which is why people use white guilt as a genuine criticism.
>>
music reviewers love it because it was made for them. its designed for white people/spectator culture where music is analyzed and disected instead of listened to. its funny how none of my black friends really like kendrick lamar. try playing the album in the car other people or listen to it casually in the background and it sounds incredibly annoying and tryhard. i can listen to Future's DS2 on repeat but never TPAB.
>>
>>62603500
White guilt is a critique of the praise it gets (which is supremely unwarranted) , not of the album itself
>>
"Kendrick lost"

lost what? he's the most awarded artist of the night with 5 grammies... and only lost in the categories that have never showed hip hop some love.

more like you're mad because your favorite artist couldn't get a single nomination and you're trying to reverse that "L".
>>
>>62603522
This album was not "designed for white people" you fucking retard. It's target audience was clearly for black people. Your stupid anecdotal evidence isn't proof that blacks don't like Kendrick or only whites like them.

>. i can listen to Future's DS2 on repeat but never TPAB.
Please kill yourself.
>>
>>62603547
I've seen people call the album bad and say they can't listen to it because of white guilt. It's a pretty common critique because people are retarded and will say anything.
>>
Anybody here who actually plays instruments and knows music theory, would know that this album has great song writing
>>
>>62603753
That's just a meme.
It's not terrible it's just not at all what the critics make it out to be. It's neither amazing nor innovative.
>>
>>62600745
It combines all sorts of historically black music into an album that flows well track-to-track, with lyrics that might not tell a story per se but are still connected in a thematic way. The instrumentals I thought were really great, and whether or not you like/agree with Kendrick's "message" he knows damn well how to put a complete album together, a skill that in and of itself is deserving of praise nowadays.

Seriously, though, the instrumentals are dope (and I actually liked the message).
>>
>>62603819
>Anybody here who actually plays instruments and knows music theory
ie no one that thinks this is the greatest album of the 21st century
>>
>>62603522
um circa 2012 money trees was literally the only track my black friend listened to
my anecdote > yours
>>
>>62603864
I do both and while 21st century is too bold of a claim, I thought it was a fantastic album that will undoubtedly be a classic for years to come
>>
who /pol/ here
>>
>>62603864
Didn't imply that, just saying anybody who studies music would say it has very strong instrumentation
>>
>>62603730
hahaha looks like youre emotionally triggered. go read some more pitchfork to soothe the pain :)
>>
>>62603907
yea no shit it was one the most popular songs of 2012. im referring to kendrick as an artist today in 2016 whos completely pandered to critical reception.
>>
>>62603522
So because it's not a sociable party record that's a negative thing?
>>
>>62604036
>listens to Future
>implies I'm a Pitchfork drone
Okay, bud.
>>
>>62603234
But a raw potato is haute cuisine only to a man who has not been exposed to actual cuisine, not just in comparison to a bag of shit (which isn't a bag of shit)
>>
>>62604306
future has been probably the most played rapper in every party ive been to since summer 2015. maybe you should try going outside more?
>>
>>62604301
im just saying its an album designed to be analyzed and critiqued by reviewers. which is why its probably not very appealing for people like OP or those dont browse internet forums
>>
>>62604696
Fair enough
>>
>>62604604
>future has been probably the most played rapper in every party ive been to since summer 2015
No shit. My point is that it makes no sense for you to tell me to go read more Pitchfork when they're the ones praising Future.

>>62604696
TPAB is a social commentary on the black community for the black community, not a fucking documentary. It wasn't designed to be reviewed by some publication an given a score. I don't understand how you even came to that conclusion or why you think only internet critics, white people and/or the "spectator culture" are capable of analyzing an album.
>>
>>62605124
the fact that you assume that someone who likes Future is automatically associated with Pitchfork just shows how much time you must spend on the internet
>>
>>62605124
>TPAB is a social commentary on the black community for the black community

funny how his recent live shows are a vast majority white people
>>
>>62600745
It's good but gkmc is more consistent and ultimately better
>>
>>62605540
>more consistent
>real
>Compton
TPAB has no bad songs
>>
>>62605412
How is that any worse than assuming someone doesn't think Kendrick is only liked by white people is associated with Pitchfork? I'm wasn't even assuming anything, I'm just pointing out how hypocritical it is.

>>62605505
What the fuck do recent lives shows have to do with anything I said? All that proves is that Kendrick has a large white fanbase, not that the album itself is literally made for white people.
>>
>>62602373
This sums it up
>>
>>62605505
TVU&N was a commercial failure but look at how influential it became. Black culture as a whole isn't too interested in TPAB's sound atm but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a place.
>>
>>62602373
>AKA the musical equivalent of Oscar bait

well said
>>
>>62602966
>>62605728
>>62605800
Stop samefagging
>>
>>62605778
TVU&N was one of the most innovative albums of all time invented genres etc. TPAB is a total rehash of old music and themes
>>
>>62605778
...are you seriously comparing TVU&N to TPAB?
>>
>>62605834
That's not my point
>>
File: btfo.png (37 KB, 682x228) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
37 KB, 682x228
>>62605824
you realize this is a commonly held stance on the album right
>>
>>62600745
its a great album but imo its not nearly as good as what people have made it out to be
>>
>>62605824
Not samefagging. Anons have found the perfect descriptor for this album and it's time to circulate it
>>
>>62605874
Yes, a stance commonly held by "four" people.
>>
>>62605867
No my point is not everything takes effect immediately. And just because you can't see the results doesn't mean they're not tangible.
>>
>>62605907
I've seen the same thing posted multiple times you fucker. Look in the archive if you want
>>
Don't come here for answers to your question. You know that the people posting on here are always trying to crawl out of their normal, white-boy shells by pointing at something to make them seem original.

That being said, I personally think it really is a rather nice album. NPR has a great article, you should check it out. You clearly recognize there is a message -- bear in mind this message is less political than many make it seem -- and that it's a major reason this album is held in such high regard. Is the album great sonically speaking?Obviously not the best, but in the scope of albums released in the past year, I believe it is rather good.
>>
>>62605726
the reason you are getting so emotional over this is because the main reason you support the album is for its critical acclaim. then you could logically believe you have a "good taste" in music since the music reviewers liked it. When you made the realization that Kendrick is pandering to critics, it makes your taste in music completely invalid and shows how incapable you are of thinking for yourself when listening to music
>>
>>62602373
this a copy pasta? cuz it should be.
>>
>>62605778
i get what you're saying but TPAB is not a new unique/futuristic sound like velvet underground was.
>>
>>62606105
Those are some pretty great baseless assumptions. Did you make them up all by yourself?
>>
>>62606176
That's not my point at all

See >>62605928

To say TPAB's intentions are negated because the black community hasn't necessarily received it well so far is shortsighted.
>>
>>62606195
its just easy to read you. especially when you start parroting critics on "what an amazing social commentary it is for black people"
>>
>>62602373
>musical equivalent of Oscar bait

perfect
>>
Probably the most mediocre album of all time. It's praised for being a nigger loving album
>>
>>62606385
Nope: it's the best hip hop album of all time.

5.5/10
>>
>>62606385
if the white critics gave it less than a "9" they would be scared to get called racist
>>
white guilt
>>
>>62606307
I didn't say it has "amazing social commentary." I never even say it was a great album. I haven't said a positive or negative thing about it. My only argument was that it's not specifically targeted towards internet analysts and white people.

But it seems like all you want to do it is stick to your stupid interpretation of the album without even understanding how it makes any sense. You'd rather just twist the subject and throw ad hominems.
>>
>>62606645
Try not to get emotionally involved in discussions on /mu/, anon, they're rarely sincere and they don't suddenly become good when they are.
>>
>>62606645
i know. im just toying with you for my entertainment tonight
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.