[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i get into krautrock?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10
File: Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg (136 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg
136 KB, 300x300
How do i get into krautrock?
>>
it's just a meme
>>
>>62535333
How so? Is it objectively bad?
>>
File: 1440587953133.jpg (1 MB, 840x1550) Image search: [Google]
1440587953133.jpg
1 MB, 840x1550
>>
>>62535319
listen to the 3 damo suzuki albums and the first Neu! album

then stop before you fall for the faust meme
>>
>>62535344
Woah, I've had this saved from some rym user and never noticed there's only 45.
>>
>>62535344
Doesn't really help him get ''into'' krautrock.
>>
>>62535319
Just listen to it

Also watch that BBC4 doc on krautrock

>PLAY MONOTONOUS
>>
>>62535366
what? those are essentials. Just listen to them, the fuck?
>>
>>62535333
No.

>>62535319
Kraftwerk is the best to begin with. (at least for me) Especially with man machine and computer world. Then you could move on to more experimental avant gard stuff like autobhan ,TEE, radioactivity and other early stuff. Of course listening to Faust and Neu! is also essential.
>>
>>62535377
Cluster II is shit m8
>>
>>62535408
What you doing in a krautrock thread?
>>
>>62535377

You don't just listen to an album to get into it. You have to do a lot of preparation. You have to do research on the genre/band's influences and philosophy to understand it. For OP, I recommend you do extensive research on psychadelic and early electronic music.
>>
Just learn to enjoy jams and you've gotten into most of krautrock. You will also simultaneously get into many other genres of music.

t. krautrock fan
>>
File: 1432700903634.jpg (19 KB, 258x196) Image search: [Google]
1432700903634.jpg
19 KB, 258x196
>>62535429
piss off, just listen to the music and you'll get into it gradually.
>>
>>62535419
What do you mean? It's babby's first ambient record.
>>
>>62535449
That's not how it works, faggot.
>>
>>62535344
>no monster movie
>>
>>62535429
Holy fucking shit
>>
>>62535344
>no Brainticket or Tangerine Dream
>>
File: neckbeard-trilby.jpg (38 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard-trilby.jpg
38 KB, 479x720
>>62535429
>>
>>62535429
i see the influence of reason is spreading

yes, this is actually how you get into krautrock

if you've never heard a kraftwerk song on your parents' tv

if you've never read a hesse book in your life

if you don't know a thing about eastern mysticism and transcendence

then you can only get krautrock by numbers

partially

or just pretending
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
>>62537188
>>
Well.. if you love TVU White Light/White heat, start with Monster Movie

If you like '80s synth start with Kraftwerk

If you like psychedelich and prog start with Amon Duul

Neu is the hardest one dont start with it
>>
>>62537112
>Brainticket
>implying everything from German descent in the 70's is
>implying Krautrock is just rock with edgy sounds sometimes popping in
>implying Brainticket is even worth your time in the slightest
>implying

no.
>>
File: eyesrollbrando.gif (671 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
eyesrollbrando.gif
671 KB, 500x382
>>62535429
>>
>>62537236
weird Amon Duul was the hardest for me
Neu was the first one I liked then again I discovered them thru kill bill so maybe that's why
>>
>>62535652
Thats exactly how music works. Not everyone has time to waste researching music, especially when you could be using that time to do other things like actually listening to it.
>>
Krautrock is an objectively bad meme genre (See also: Progressive rock, psychedelic rock, and noise rock). Don't bother.
>>
>>62538110
gr8 b8 m8
>>
Listen to faust's self titled and you will reach enlightenment
>>
File: 1454821881348.jpg (131 KB, 1004x796) Image search: [Google]
1454821881348.jpg
131 KB, 1004x796
>>62538082
kek
>>
>>62538082

You're not wasting time by doing research. You're immersing yourself in the historical and philosophical context in which the album was made to gain a deeper understanding of it. Sure you can just listen to the album, and you may even enjoy it, but you'll only enjoy it on a very superficial level and will never gain access to its deeper and richer pleasures.
>>
>>62538110
you just listed the 4 best rock subgenres tho
>>
>>62535429
I actually do this semi-often when i'm interested in a genre but you phrasing it like that kind of makes me never want to do it again
>>
Check out some of the modern krautrock classics like Tortoise's Millions Now Living and Boredoms' Super AE

>>62535344
Cluster, Popol Vuh, Brainstorm and that Kraftwek album are not Krautrock
>>
Wow are anons actually claiming you shouldn't research an artist/album before listening?
>>
>>62538547
>Check out some of the modern krautrock classics like Tortoise's Millions Now Living and Boredoms' Super AE
why are you always confusing influence with genres? it really isn't that hard.
>>
>>62538662
They are part from the krautrock genre, just not from the krautrock scene.
>>
>>62538697
Boredoms are noise/psychedelic rock with evident influences from krautrock

not krautrock
>>
>>62535319

here's some pretty cool modern krautrock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qM0ETAAzk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1bLqLEgYwE
>>
>>62538798
They are as much Krautrock as Tago Mago is, actually even more because the whole album is Krautrock (unlike Tago Mago where the first 2 or 3 tracks are not).
>>
>>62538990
What is the genre Krautrock?
>>
>>62538990
you seem to have difficulties understanding the term krautrock

it really isn't that confusing
>>
>>62539026
Long and repetitive psychedelic jams (Can's second side of Tago Mago, Faust's self titled's second side, Neu's self titled, etc).

>>62539038
Care to tell me?
>>
>>62535344
NEU! 75
>>
>>62539082
>Care to tell me?
no because you'd play dumb and i would have to tell you again

it isn't worth it
>>
>>62539134
I will take it as an "I don't know"
Thanks for proving me right
>>
>>62539082
>Long and repetitive psychedelic jams
So Flaming Lips "One Million Billionth of a Millisecond" is Krautrock? What about Rolling Stones' "Coming Home"?

>Care to tell me?
Easy. Krautrock isn't a genre. It's a scene.
>>
>>62539026
>What is the genre Krautrock?

Term used by music press for alternative rock music coming out of Germany in the 70s, genre can be pretty varied.

A lot of bands feature repetitive often machine like rhythms (think joy division songs, they and a lot of post-punk was influenced by Krautrock) and have jams and a lot of whack electronic experimentation as well.
>>
>>62539325
>genre can be pretty varied.
Then it's not a genre. It's a scene because
>alternative rock music coming out of Germany in the 70s
>>
>>62539268
Haven't heard those, so I can't tell.
A more accurate definition of the genre would be if they sound like the bands usually considered to be krautrock. Does it sound like Can or Neu? If yes, it's krautrock genre.
The other point of view is if it follow the traditions of the genre, kind of like jazz despite said genre having no characteristics that encompass all it's subgenres save for improvisation (yet that doesn't mean all improvised music is jazz, because it doesn't follow jazz's tradition)

>Easy. Krautrock isn't a genre. It's a scene.
I understand this point, but I think there are a lot of bands from the scene that are their own genre (Neu, Can, etc), and because of this, bands that sound like them are form said genre too. The fact that this genre has an identical name to the scene is pure coincidence.
>>
>>62539156
no need to get mad at me

it just isn't worth it really
>>
>>62539401
>A more accurate definition of the genre would be if they sound like the bands usually considered to be krautrock
Not how it works. Give an actual, musically technical definition. If you can't, then it's not a genre.
>>
>>62539483
By that logic, jazz is not a genre but guitar music is.
>>
>>62537188
>a hesse book

done siddhartha. do i need steppenwolf?
>>
Yea it is more of a scene really, but there are unique features of some bands and they influenced each other.

A lot of the music has a "krautrockiness" to it, I don't play or write music so i can technically say what distinguishes it from western psych rock at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1bLqLEgYwE

the track 19:58 holzbock sounds very krautrock in its rhythms.
>>
>>62535319
if you didn't enjoyed this album first listening you are a blistering pleb
>>
File: fedora bowie.jpg (33 KB, 350x525) Image search: [Google]
fedora bowie.jpg
33 KB, 350x525
>>62539661
>>
>>62535717
:)
>>
>>62539403
cont. (to avant-math person)

i know what you consider krautrock

you probably think those tape experiments on tago mago are what make it krautrock, or faust's s/t for that matter

well, that's just plain wrong

according to that kind of mislead thinking, you'd dismiss most actual krautrock bands as psychedelic rock

take amon duul ii for example

according to that definition of yours, you'd only call a couple of their songs krautrock

but the point is that even songs with experimental way of disjointed songwriting, like on soap shock rock, kanaan, and the first two songs on dance of the lemmings, is also typical for krautrock

but again, oh the miracle, even that isn't the point of krautrock? so what is it then, damn it sandy?

it's a name for german psychedelic prog with eastern mantras' overtones

but the main thing is that it's just a non-english way of saying german

how are boredoms, chrome, and all those things you call krautrock, krautrock then?

they are simply experimental noise rock, prog rock (not chrome though) and psychedelic, chrome is also industrial a lot

not every song that reminds you of your first time listening to aumgn is krautrock

but hell, i'm explaining differences between genres to a guy suffering from gender-dysphoria . it is only logical that you'd exactly be the person to confuse things that share common characteristics.

also, according to your rym and lastfm you haven't even delved into the genre that much
>>
>>62539915
>you probably think those tape experiments on tago mago are what make it krautrock, or faust's s/t for that matter
Wrong

>according to that kind of mislead thinking, you'd dismiss most actual krautrock bands as psychedelic rock
Did you even read my definition? There is a key element that diferentiates krautrock from psychedelic rock

>but the point is that even songs with experimental way of disjointed songwriting, like on soap shock rock, kanaan, and the first two songs on dance of the lemmings, is also typical for krautrock
In that case I should add that to my definition. Now we have a better definition than before.

>how are boredoms, chrome, and all those things you call krautrock, krautrock then?
Did you even see my definition?
As for Chrome, they are as much krautrock as Faust's self titled was.

>not every song that reminds you of your first time listening to aumgn is krautrock
Why not? If something sounds like krautrock, it's krautrock; in the same way something that sounds like jazz is jazz.

>but hell, i'm explaining differences between genres to a guy suffering from gender-dysphoria
I'm not trans or anything like that.

>it is only logical that you'd exactly be the person to confuse things that share common characteristics
Well, but now my definition has improved thanks to you :)

>also, according to your rym and lastfm you haven't even delved into the genre that much
I have few krautrock recordings rated on rym, but I have listened to plenty of the genre as evidenced from my last.fm. I have listened to at least 30 "proper krautrock" albums.
>>
>>62539556
>By that logic, jazz
It has strict musical definitions, so it is
>guitar music is.
That's not anything.
>>
>>62535333
Here's your 60 second cooldown.
>>
>>62539915
>disjointed songwriting, like on soap shock rock

I'm listening to it as I'm writing and it's one of the tighter pieces I've ever heard. It's very dense and, so to say, thick.
>>
>>62539686
He's correct though. Tago Mago in 2016 isn't extremely experimental and hard to get into. It's virtually pop.
>>
>>62540121
>It has strict musical definitions, so it is
It doesn't. The only thing all jazz has in common is improvisation.

>That's not anything.
uh, huh?
>Give an actual, musically technical definition
It uses a guitar
>If you can't, then it's not a genre.
I can, therefore, guitar music is a genre.

Either your definition of a genre is flawed or guitar music is a genre. You choose.
>>
>>62540177
he's just a fat fedoralord
>>
I can't believe people actually argue about this. 'Kratrock' is literally a meme label, it's not a characterization of a certain musical style. Can't you figure out what it means? 'Kraut' as in slang for German? It's a scene, not a genre. Krautrock=progressive/experimental/electornic-ish stuff from the late-60s early-70s Germany, mainly NRW area; as in, a fuckton of bands and genres.
>>
>>62540319
Yes, anon, you are very intelligent, nobody thought of that before and you are completely on point about what's being discussed on here :)
>>
>>62539563
How about you read some proper literature and not adolescent tripe
>>
>>62540198
Some contemporary and big band jazz doesn't even have anything to do with improv
>>
>>62540423
ill have you know i jacked off to Dante Alighieri twice this morning get fucked, friend
>>
>>62540435
In that case, there are no defining musical characteristics for jazz, so jazz is not a genre according to this guy >>62539483
>>
>>62540198
>It doesn't. The only thing all jazz has in common is improvisation
[citation needed]
>It uses a guitar
A guitar is an instrument used on many genres.
>I can, therefore, guitar music is a genre.
Both AC/DC and Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention use guitars. Are they the same genre of "guitar music"?
>>
>>62540512
>In that case, there are no defining musical characteristics for jazz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz

Just read it.
>>
>>62540596
>[citation needed]
The burden of proof is on you, sweetie :)

>A guitar is an instrument used on many genres.
Uhm, sorry, but according to your own definition, guitar music is a genre, and I already demonstrated this.

>Both AC/DC and Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention use guitars. Are they the same genre of "guitar music"?
According to your own logic, yes. Either your definition of a genre is correct and they are both the same genre, or your definition of a genre is wrong. You choose.

>>62540640
Yes, I read it, and all the characteristics mentioned there have been evaded by artists considered to be jazz (except for the improvisation thing, but it seems not even that is right).
>>
>>62540423
What if I'm an adolescent
>>
>>62540678
>The burden of proof is on you, sweetie :)
You made the initial claim that jazz wasn't a genre. It's on you.
>but according to your own definition, guitar music is a genre
My own definition? Show me where I said "guitar music" was a genre and then defined it
>According to your own logic, yes.
How so?
>Yes, I read it, and all the characteristics mentioned there have been evaded by artists considered to be jazz
List them. Give me 30 examples.
>>
>>62540763
>You made the initial claim that jazz wasn't a genre. It's on you.
And I already told you how it wasn't.
Now where is your counter argument?

>My own definition? Show me where I said "guitar music" was a genre and then defined it
See
>Give an actual, musically technical definition
It uses a guitar
>If you can't, then it's not a genre.
I can, therefore, guitar music is a genre.
Just proved it using your own definition.

>List them. Give me 30 examples.
You list those characteristics before. You are the one saying jazz has musical characteristics, I say it has none other than improvisation.
>>
>>62540848
>And I already told you how it wasn't.
You didn't provide a citation. That's what I'm asking for.
>Now where is your counter argument?
Me asking you to prove your assertions, that you didn't just fabricate it off the top of your head (like you did with "guitar music" or pretending Krautrock is a genre).
>It uses a guitar
What else? What are other characteristics (such as form, melody, rhythm, production, arrangement? instrumentation is only one aspect).
>You list those characteristics before. You are the one saying jazz has musical characteristics, I say it has none other than improvisation.
Not a list of 30 examples. Try again.
>>
>>62535319
Start with these 6 essentials:

Can - Ege Bamyasi (1972)
Cluster - Zuckerzeit (1974)
Faust - Faust IV (1973)
Kraftwerk - Autobahn (1974)
Neu! - Neu! '75 (1975)
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra (1974)
>>
>>62540736
Then get b& faggot
>>
>>62540946
Oh I'm not I was just wondering
>>
>>62540932
I would throw in Phallus Dei to make it a sweet 7.
>>
>>62540910
>You didn't provide a citation. That's what I'm asking for.
I don't need a citation to prove a point.
And you still haven't defined jazz.

>Me asking you to prove your assertions, that you didn't just fabricate it off the top of your head (like you did with "guitar music" or pretending Krautrock is a genre).
An argument is a proof, like it or not.

>What else? What are other characteristics (such as form, melody, rhythm, production, arrangement? instrumentation is only one aspect).
Nothing else. Your definition doesn't state that it needs anything more than "a musically technical definition"

>Not a list of 30 examples. Try again.
So, I take it you don't know what jazz is because you don't know how to define it.
Come back when you have actually listened to some and are capable of showing an actual definition of it (pro tip: it's impossible, even wikipedia says the only element that defines jazz is improvisation, with the other characteristics saying it's only common but not necessary)
>>
>>62541035
I actually thought of doing that but I feel like it's a more difficult album to get into. But what the hell, consider it added.

Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei (1969)
>>
btw, it appears that I'm saying that jazz is not a genre. I actually think it is, but that the definition of a genre used by this guy is wrong >>62539483
>>
>>62541036
>I don't need a citation to prove a point.
Well you don't need a citation to *make* a point, but you do need a citation to *prove* a point. So either give a citation, or I'm going to ignore you and chalk file this argument into the same folder where you pretended to hear the entire Beatles and VU catalog but you really hadn't, but still wanted to discuss it. Case in point: you alreday admitted to have not heard Rolling Stones or Flaming Lips
>An argument is a proof,
lol
>Nothing else
lol
>So, I take it you don't know what jazz is
Last chance to give 30 examples. If your very next reply isn't that, I am done with you.

If you claim to come hear seeking to learn about music, why do you act like a know-it-all, say something retarded and then choose not to back up your claims?
>>62541182
>what is a subgenre? gee idk
>>
>>62541332
>Well you don't need a citation to *make* a point, but you do need a citation to *prove* a point.
[citation needed]
Literally
>where you pretended to hear the entire Beatles and VU catalog but you really hadn't
I have already listened to their whole discographies except for TVU's two last albums.

>Case in point: you alreday admitted to have not heard Rolling Stones or Flaming Lips
I have heard Rolling Stones, just not that track; as for Flaming Lips, I have heard two of their albums, but without paying much attention to them.

>If you claim to come hear seeking to learn about music, why do you act like a know-it-all, say something retarded and then choose not to back up your claims?
I don't act like a know it all, I'm just saying that your definition of a genre is inconsistent (also, your own definition lacks citations, but who would have thought about that?)

>what is a subgenre? gee idk
What are you trying to prove with that?

I take it you won't reply to me anymore, but don't worry, you never did on the first place when asked to define jazz, so I'm just going to assume you are a troll looking to bait people.

I mean, you really can't define jazz and you think you have some kind of authority to make claims as to what a genre is without citations? wow
>>
File: 1455321053574.png (882 KB, 1025x641) Image search: [Google]
1455321053574.png
882 KB, 1025x641
Jesus fucking christ it's called kosmische musik not krautrock
>>
>>62541516
>[citation needed]
>Literally
proof
pro͞of/
noun
noun: proof; plural noun: proofs
evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.
>I have already listened to their whole discographies except for TVU's two last albums.
Did you think that changes the past?
>I have heard Rolling Stones, just not that track; as for Flaming Lips, I have heard two of their albums, but without paying much attention to them.
If you don't pay attention to music, why do you make claims that you know about it?
>I don't act like a know it all, I'm just saying that your definition of a genre is inconsistent
Or rather, you are using selective reasoning to strawman my argument.
>What are you trying to prove with that?
Do you not know what a subgenre is?
>but don't worry, you never did on the first place when asked to define jazz
See >>62540640

Did your mother have Zika? Serious question.
>>
>>62542551
>>62541516
>>62541332
>>62541036
>>62540910
>>62540848
>>62540763
>>62540678
>>62540596

Holy shit would you two shut the fuck up already? Neither of you have added literally anything at all to this thread. Jesus fucking christ.

You're literally arguing about something so painfully irrelevant in music, and with such autistic intensity.

>1990 + 26
>Still giving the slightest fuck about genres
>Thinking genres aren't just a way of easily categorizing music for plebs

Disgusting.
>>
Listen to alot of long-form prog rock and psychedelic rock, then transition to Ash Ra Tempel's first album.

Or if you like EDM/pop, start with Kraftwerk.
>>
>>62535319
Just listen to the first NEU! album. Fuck, it really isn't complicated.
>>
>>62537362
>implying
>>
>>62537112
>no Tangerine Dream
are you blind?
>>
THE KEY TO KRAUT ROCK IS TO START WITH THE STRAIGHTFORWARD JAM BAND STUFF LIKE NEU'S "HALLOGALLO" AND CAN'S "FUTURE DAYS" AND THEN JUST MOVE ON TO THE SLIGHTLY MORE CHALLENGING STUFF

ALSO FAUST IV BEST KRAUTROCK ALBUM
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.