[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Rock dead? If so, who killed it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 21
Is Rock dead?

If so, who killed it?
>>
cobain
>>
yeah. rock used to be badass but these new rockers are pussies
>>
>>62470596
the general populace killed it. The only reason rock is in a global crisis is because somewhere along the lines, it became uncool to listen to rock.
>>
>>62470596
Hip Hop is where all the real edge is now.
>>
It's losing mainstream popularity for a variety of reasons. Mainly because indie rock all sounds the fucking same and anyone with musical talent and creativity is wisely going into other genres of music.

Also hiphop, edm and modern pop shit is quick, easy, and cheap to make, whereas rock takes a lot of time to write and record.
>>
>>62470596
>Is Rock dead?
yes(kinda)
>If so, who killed it?
Hip-hop
>>
There was a point, probably in the early 90's, where people slowly and unconsciously realised that the underlying narrative of rock, namely that it was a force of social change, was bullshit. From then on rock music's fundamental meaning and purpose shifted. Artistically it stagnated.
The types of people who made rock music great in the 70' s would not find rock music inspirational and apply themselves to it in the post 2000 era.
>>
>>62470743
>and anyone with musical talent and creativity is wisely going into other genres of music.
>and anyone with musical talent and creativity is wisely going into other professions
ftfy
>>
>>62470596

Kanye killed it.
>>
>>62470822
Holy shit, never considered that. Is music literally a dying profession?
>>
>>62470847
You're kidding, right?
>>
>>62470596
capitalism killed it
>>
rock isn't dead, it's resting

metal is sort of carrying the torch for now
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=639eG5Y9JTg

I was raised on 90's and 2000's alternative rock, just because it's not so popular anymore doesn't mean it'll just stop existing.
>>
>>62470596
rock is very much alive, it's just not normie music anymore
>>
>>62470596
Idk while a lot of the indie stuff coming out lately isn't consistently great, it is at least interesting
>>
ian curtis
>>
>>62470596
Coldplay and all of the indie buzzbands.
>>
>>62470596
Radiohead and the internet killed it, actually. The new era of upcoming-memes defeated the mtv-90s life around 2004, and mainstream rock went with it
>>
yeah I killed it sorry m8
>>
>>62470596
>If so, who killed it?
Cuck music journalists killed it.

Rock is still very much alive, but it's not what is deemed acceptable to provide music press to.
>>
>>62470596
>Is Rock dead?
Mainstream rock is dead
>If so, who killed it?
Kurt Cobain
>>
>>62470596
Rock mean something different these days, it does not mean creativity, but the lack thereof. Most rock bands these days are formed by kids with nothing to say, using shitty riffs and only power chords with dirty overdrives. Rock isnt dead, only the majority of rock players are shit, like all the other genres, most people are shit. Get over it. Today's music propaganda values mediocracy and easily digestible songs. We came way too far from quality, simply because it sells more.
>>
>>62471042
>metal is sort of carrying the torch for now

It is because rock literally became metal, grunge was the start of this.
>>
>>62471785
can't say i agree with this historical analcyst of metal music
>>
>>62471824
>can't say i agree with this historical analcyst of metal music
Well there is thrash and crossover, so...
>>
>>62470596
I cannot think of a single interesting personality in rock music

That's why it's dead in this age of social media
>>
>>62472235
>I cannot think of a single interesting personality in rock music
who is Frances Quinlan
>>
it died when p4k was bought. like it or not, they were more or less what drew the line between an average independent and/or DIY band and one that could make their living in music. They shifted focus and now you can't really blow up in guitar music at the moment. It'll be back though.
>>
>>62470596
The digital era
>>
>>62471203
Ok name good new rock bands that aren't garage trash
>>
>>62470596
>who killed it?
me DESU
>>
>>62472235
>I cannot think of a single interesting personality in rock music
>That's why it's dead in this age of social media

This.

They just can't hack it.
>>
>>62470596
Lack of innovation and popular appeal, specially among youngsters, killed Rock.
>>
>>62470743
>pop and edm is easy to make and is popular
this
>>
>>62471780
>Today's music propaganda values mediocracy and easily digestible songs
kek the beatles literally came as a mediocre and easily digestible band
>>
>>62470743
>hip-hop and edm is quick and easy to make

you are a fucking retard.
>>
>>62472235
I mean Josh Tillman is the obvious one...
>>
>>62472410
good question
>>
>>62472410
Ya, who is that?
>>
It died in the 70's
>>
>>62470596
>Is Rock dead?
yes

>If so, who killed it?
nobody, but rock needs someone innovative and they're not getting it. as someone else pointed out, the innovative musicians are wisely pursuing healthier genres
>>
>>62473547
It's nothing like the labor needed to master an instrument
>>
>>62473621
kek
>>
I'm seeing people saying Kurt Cobain. Please elaborate, anons.
>>
>>62470614
Wrong. Nu Metal did.
>>
>>62473621
as someone who plays the guitar, drums and also produces some music using ableton, i cannot even begin to tell you how wrong you are.
>>
>>62470743
yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>62473372
This. Theyre pushing the diiv guy as the new kurt cobain just because he does drugs, they're even trying to make bands like parquet courts interesting comparing them to pavement and the fall.... malkmus and E. smith have some of the true rock spirit in them. These days rock stars are rappers.
>>
>>62470743
also no personalities that appeal to the mainstream. The "hipster" stigma makes anyone who's not a slobbering dave grohl look bad because they want to innovate and not be classic or whatever bs revival is in style
>>
White people.
>>
>>62473686
This, but also the garage rock revival of the early 00's. It produced some good albums in it's first years, but in the long run it just contributed to further water down mainstream rock with a shitload of derivative, bland groups.
>>
>>62473674
Kurt litearally brought rock back into the mainstream when it was in a stagnant and rediculous state. Much like it is now. We really need a new Cobain to kill all the fake indie and edm shit that is oversaturating popular culture.
>>
>>62473701
>This. Theyre pushing the diiv guy as the new kurt cobain just because he does drugs, they're even trying to make bands like parquet courts interesting comparing them to pavement and the fall....

It's because they're all fucking spoiled trust fund kids without a single creative bone in their bodies.

This fucking scene is incestuous, the shitty hack reviewers and press scum give blowjobs to the shitty hack musicians that live in expensive Brooklyn on daddy's money.

Fucking spoiled little shits have never had to do any actual work for a living, or live somewhere that creates the misery and torment that is necessary to give people the drive to achieve or accomplish anything on their own artistically, so it's no wonder you get these lackadaisical boring kids with zero personality being thrusted forth as the new rock stars when they're creatively bankrupt.
>>
Dave Grohl and Coldplay
>>
>>62473861
That's why I asked people to elaborate on that. Because I agree with you. I mean, if anything, like them or not, Nirvana helped end the stagnation of rock in the mainstream. I don't really get people saying he killed it.
>>
>>62473961
Kurt killed it*
>>
>>62473905
Indie Rock being so stagnant is making me want to be a better songwriter more and more. This kind of shit happens every 20 years or so, but at least the 80s weren't full of pretentious assholes, just shitty hair metal and pop rock. Not trying to sound like a wrong generation fag, since other countries have a great Indie Rock scene.
>>
blink 182 killed it
>>
>>62473905
But that's not the worst part, these kids are just like any other mediocre musicians that never make it, they're not the problem.

The problem is with these fucking music press parasites playing god and trying to make a star out of bands that are just completely boring, just so that they can stroke their own ego with their ability to be tastemakers.

We get it, you shove shit down our throats, are you happy now motherfuckers?

Fuck Brooklyn and fuck all these rich kids and that pander to other rich kids. And fuck them for writing holier-than-thou articles every time an artists says something controversial in order to tear them down and make themselves look a little morally-righteous in the process.
>>
>>62474054
ALL THE
>>
File: Kobe.jpg (85 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Kobe.jpg
85 KB, 640x360
>>62473905
This guy fucking gets it
>>
>>62473961
Kurt didn't kill it, all of the unoriginal faggots who imitated him killed it.

Kurt is blameless.
>>
>>62473686
>>62473686
This, entirely this.

And then metal-core came around and put the final nail in the coffin because it was a new edgier brand of shit.

I don't blame actual metal at all though.

And, I would say that stoner-rock is actually alive and well. And I guess so is psych-rock, but meh.
>>
>>62474128
Agreed.
>>
>>62474067
Soon there will be enough of us to turn around and tell all the eletist Brooklyn trust fund p4k parasytes to go fuck themselves. And p4k will die.

I'll just be the first one.
>>
>>62474085
>This guy fucking gets it
No fucking shit I get it, I am one angry son of a bitch.

Being poor and hungry makes you that way, and I am not going to let some gentrified brat tell me what to do or who to be or what to say.
>>
>>62473905
>>62474067
>>62474164
Goddamn these posts are perfect. Hit the nail on the head there, anons. Fuck Pitchfork.
>>
unwound was the last relevant rock band
>>
I think people should also take into consideration that it's really hard for a genre to span to another generation. There's a reason why the word dadrock has become so prevalent nowadays, most of the mainstream rock from the 80's/90's is now largely being consumed by the people who grew up with it. We've seen time and time again how a genre became prevelant, died out once the next generation started to rebel/ridicule that genre, and will latch onto a different style of music. Then, after a while that style of music will get a revival in a smaller, but more high-quality burst. I'm not sure that will happen this time though. Because of the internet, we can pretty much listen to whatever we want, wherever we want, no matter how obscure the band is. I believe this will lead to longer staying-power for the current prevelant genres, but will make it harder for new genres to spring forth into the charts. The main reason for that is because the Record Labels are much more afraid of taking risks, in comparison to the past few decades.

I don't really think a musical genre can really "die" though, but I doubt we'll see classic rock-music like Led Zeppelin or something in a very long time.

Of course, this is only one factor that I believe lead to the diminishing of rock music in the late 2000's, I'm not even taking multiple cultures and countries into consideration.
>>
>>62473621
Honestly the amount of skill and time required to learn guitar or another instrument is usually around the same time to learn how to produce electronic music well, and I only play guitar, piano, and drums, but just getting basic production techniques takes a really long time.
>>
>>62474254
If I ever move to the city I'm going to make some absolutely crazy shit, just so I can spit in the faces of these little turds.

They'll either hate it, or love it, I don't care it's just about making music that sounds like nothing else.
>>
rock isnt doing something new that the mass can like,hip hop does.
>>
>>62474279
I could agree with this.
>>
>>62471215
>indie
>intersting
>ever
>>
>>62473861
I honestly believe that if Conor Oberst had died in 2006 (preferably with Casadaga being posthumous), he would have been considered the next Cobain. Maybe not an exact replica, and obviously a tad more similar to Elliot Smith, but I think that would have been how the general public would have viewed it.
But, he's alive. Check that out... Look at him go...Fucking living and shit...
>>
1996-1997 was the last era in which rock was truly enjoyed by the masses and was a large, important part of pop culture

the stuff after: puddle of stained buttrock, postpunk revival, dance punk, retrorock, post rock, etc. have all been trivialities and not an important part of pop culture.
>>
>>62473687
I said master an instrument... not fuck around with a ukulele and a pair of bongos
>>
>>62474279
they lived in the superior fugazi's shadow
>>
Good rock bands generally seen to abide by a punk attitude, do-it-yourself, 80s/90s independent spirit which is why they aren't huge, just big enough to support themselves on tour for fans, and that's fine I think

Newer rock is only dead in the mainstream because it's not radio accessible enough, people want what hip hop and pop give.
>>
If Last.fm is any consensus to go by millions of people still listen to even the worst kinds of rock like Creed, Nickleback and Radiohead.
>>
>>62474568
I think they're both at the same place in quality, they feel like they're doing different things with their music so I've never liked to compare them.

Repetition and The Future of What are perfect to me, but so are End Hits, Red Medicine, The Argument, and In On The Kill Taker.
>>
Hipsters killed it with their indie rock with pansy-ass vocals.
>>
>>62474761
Though I will say, Sara Lund and Vern are a great rhythm section but they don't come close to Brendan and Joe, who are the best in rock.
>>
>>62474866
go listen to ac/dc you big faggot
>>
>>62474915
It appears I've angered you.
>>
>>62474866
They literally did.

Rock and roll is supposed to be about rebellion, once it got cleaned up and church-friendly it died.
>>
>>62474300
You are right, but it can be easier if you have a good ear.
>>
>>62475018
That's bullshit. Sure there are plenty really shitty indie rock bands, but there are some good ones too.
>>
Several things killed rock, some of them where already mentioned:

1. Cobain
He really killed rock. Nirvana took inspiration from Metallica (Kurt was a huge fan, there are stories, it's well known fact...). But what he added was his introvert nature and his fucking self centred ego. As rock had always been fluid it was clear that Nirvana-like-grunge would create bands that would be even more self centred and weak in its expression. What I mean is that rock until Cobain was about guys ('cept for Heart...) that KNEW exactly what they wanted and they communicated it. I do not mean macho-like communication, I mean "Here I am, THIS is what I SAY, SUCK IT"

2. Hip-Hop
When rock started to die in the mid 90ies - after ALL of the great bands had their last great records and tours: Metallica, AC/DC, Guns 'n Roses, ... - Hip-Hop took over and changed the pop world. Heavy Metal, Thrash, Grunge and Hard Rock had to move. Maybe nobody (normal people, not rock fans) did not want to hear it anymore - I don't know. Rock was the mainstream popmusic for 40 years (from Chuck Berry, Elvis to Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin to AC/DC to Metallica and Guns). It had to go eventually.

3. Generation Facebook/Hipster
If you can communicate every shit on Shitter without actually saying anything the only thing that you can become is a little Narcissus. If you communicate every shit on Shitter knowing that Shitter fucking sucks you become a narcistic Hipster. Rock IS NOT ABOUT Hipsters (only exceptions: Buddy Holly, not the kind of Hipster that I am talking about)

4. What is Rock?
Have you ever sit down on a guitar and tried to construct a riff that is as good as Smoke On The Water, TNT or Whole Lotta Love? Maybe I am not good enough but I guess that most rockish-style-elements have been used and overused so that you cannot write anything that does not inherently sound like a shameless copy of stuff AC/DC wrote 40years ago.
>>
>>62476292
BORN IN LE WRONG GENE-
>>
>>62476292
God this was like reading youtube comments
>>
>Kurt Cobain killed rock

I am sick of this meme, Kurt did not do anything, other people could not live up to him in the spotlight.

It is really not the man's fault.
>>
only 'rock' music i listen to nowadays is emo
and that isn't even really rock i guess, but has similar instrumentation

i think electronic music just has more interesting avenues right now. Sadly all the genres i like are fucking dead like Witch House
>>
>>62476292
hipster is the new rockist. the state of the current culture made rock lame and pretending that rock is still rebellious or lively when its the norm has become pathetic. but who knows, bon iver and fleet foxes went mainstream so maybe rockwill become lively again in a few more years.
>>
i told yall once and ill tell yall again to just wait till i crack that can of worms wide open for ya and let that groovy shit flow
>>
>>62476517
I hate Hipsters. I hate that they stand for not standing for anything and that they are proud of that fact. I hate that they accept anything from everyone, they accept that people buy books to get help for fucking simple social problems.

I do not see any rebellion anywhere. What does that even mean in the context of Rock? I thought Rock was about parties and drugs, having fun and sex. That is not rebellious, it's fucking straight forward.

Hipster parties do not make fun at all. Hipsters are the most boring people that one can imagine.

Even if Rock was rebellious, that's not the main element of Rock.
>>
>>62476762
Hipsters can be pretty fun if you're just interested in exchanging tastes and shit.

party-wise, yeah, rock is more fun but those days are gone.
>>
>>62476847
In my experience I cannot exchange tastes with Hipsters. They do not have any taste, they don't argue. They do not say "well, that sucks". They cannot: They are friends on facebook with someone who would *not* like them; They think it's ok for anyone to like anything, the cannot say "I don't want to have any communication with you - because you suck"

Does not apply to anonboards though, as nobody fucking cares if anyone gets hurt
>>
>>62476973
You're generalizing while complaining about generelizations.

I've met some hipster-types that were quite verbal about saying shit A sucks ass while shit B is okay. It depends. Some were actually quite fun to talk to about things.
>>
>>62476973
your posts makes 0sense
>>
>Kurt Cobain who brought the underground alt rock scene to the mainstream kills himself
>Shit ton of imitators try to be the next Nirvana
>Pop artists, rappers and boybands overtake rock music by the late 90s
>Nu metal, butt rock, and pop punk populate the radio for the early 00s
>Throughout the late 00s and 2010s no rock band has revolutionized or made a significant impact on the public

It's pretty much due to other genres taking over a dying genre
>>
>>62476973
Sounds like someone's frustrated with making people upset due to missed social cues.
>>
>>62476973
Of course I am.

And yet it does not matter. Rock is dead. Hipsters do not rock. They autodanceelectrounplugged or something
>>
Rock is dead as of January 10 2016
>>
>>62477114
you heard it here folks.
>>
>>62477104
>>62476973

you cannot grammar and cant even reply properly. what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>62477068
Social cues? 9 out of 10 people are arseholes, be them Hipster or not. What is important is that a Hipster can't be a Rocker. They are the antithesis of each other.
>>
>>62470596
Went the way of Jazz. It stopped being a youth driven medium. EDM has kind of usurped its role as the genre of choice for white kids. Hip-hop is quickly following Rock. Going the way of Swing, Jazz, and Ragtime.
>>
Did I get banned earlier? Test?
>>
rough trade beat the shit out of it in the 80s

nu metal put it in the casket

it was a transatlantic effort
>>
Kurt Cobain didn't kill rock you could blame Courtney Love however.

Besides murdering Kurt for the hundreds of millions of dollars in royalties she killed woman being taken seriously in mainstream rock music.
>>
>>62474327
that's nice anon
>>
>>62477180
>What is important is that a Hipster can't be a Rocker. They are the antithesis of each other.
>Rocker
>not realizing "rockers" killed rock by being imitations of imitations of imitations
>implying slapping a label on yourself is rebellious
>yfw hipsters are more rock and roll than you simply by not caring what rockers are supposed to be
>>
It's because rock stars aren't fucking cool and never really were.
>>
>>62477621
As I said before: Rock is not about rebellion. It had not been about rebellion since the 50ies or maybe the 60ies. Rock was mainstream in the 70ies, 80ies and until the mid 90ies.

Rock was pretty fluid and went through an evolutionary process. That is not imitation of imitation. It stopped right after Nirvana.

I never said that I am Rocker. What makes you think so? I am a music lover. I understand that some of the best rock records ever made were good because good producers shaped the bands that played them and sometimes even made them more pop music like and mainstream
>>
>>62477858
>rock is not about rebellion

"I am here to make rock and roll dangerous again" - GG Allin
>>
>implying any of you would be excited if rock experienced a renaissance
>implying any of you would actively participate in it
>implying you all wouldn't just bitch about it in a never ending state of contrariness
>>
No, it's just that the best modern rock is labelled Stoner Rock and so nobody except stoners wants to listen to it or play it on the radio.

QotSA is an exception. They got labelled stoner rock early on, but the title didn't stick. I guess now they're alt-rock or something.
>>
>>62470617
You know bro!
>>
Man, I think rock died in the 70's. In the 90's it revived the "attitude" but musically and aesthetically mixed with elements of punk. But what realy killed rock it's the massive commercialization of mainstream pop/hip hop music. You cannot fucking run away from that shit now. I know countless of popstars by name and their music because it sounds everywhere. The same shit happens with movies. Mediocre capeshit is marketed as it is the second coming and people eat it up. It's the sheer power of media. It's just easier to market things as talent until they believe it, than search for talent and innovation.
>>
>>62473302
Thank you kira
>>
>>62474071
SMALL DICKS
>>
>>62478408
New Coke won.

This is the arrogance we have to deal with.
>>
>>62478106
I could quote artists who say that Rock is just about parties and fun. If any rocker says "Rock is about lil kittens" than Rock is about little kittens.

I like ear pleasing, well recorded, played and written Rock.

Punk is the only Rock genre that cares about rebellion. It says "let's sound like shit, nobody sounds like shit, that's cool". I can respect that attitude. But I also respect a band that says "Let make the best fucking sound in history" e.g. Boston.
>>
>>62478528
Boston sucks and is not The Stones.

Rock and roll is literal hedonism, it's not about the music, it's about the lifestyle.
>>
File: (t)hugs.jpg (50 KB, 640x507) Image search: [Google]
(t)hugs.jpg
50 KB, 640x507
>>62478704
The rock lifestyle is alive. It's called Hip-Hop. Kanye lives it. He's a great rocker...
>>
>>62473686
nu metal sprang up partly because of nirvana desu
>>
>>62470743
the possiblities of edm computer driven music is wider
>>
>>62471077
sounds like nirvana desu
>>
>>62478803
This is 100% truth.

Hip hop is rock of this decade.
>>
Maybe it was just too good in the 70's and 80's that no one after that, that called themselves a part of the rocknroll scene, couldnt live up to it. I feel like that era of rock n roll just had its own unique sound and no one else could one up it and at the same time new genres coming out like the new metal in the 2000's and hip hop and the simple pop were just easier routes to go down and make money unfortunately. I mean not saying that that making music in pop and hip hop is easy it all requires some sort of musical talent. Is it my taste? No not really. I wish there could still be bands like led zeppelin and the eagles and lynyrd skynyrd zz top and stuff like that but times are changing. It will always be around but its not todays choice of music.
>>
>>62478900
shame so few people actually care about it
>>
>>62474472
Savage
>>
>>62470596
the real question is who revive the Rock
>>
File: 1432074782721.jpg (17 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1432074782721.jpg
17 KB, 313x286
>>62479658
>Eagles
>>
>>62470596
The internet

The world has gone more pop so rock died
>>
>>62473687
>>62474300

lol I've played guitar for years, ableton is a fucking pinch compared to that. seriously. I bet both of you are just making it up
>>
>>62470596
>Is rock dead?
Eh I wouldn't say so
>If so, who killed it?
Modern bands trying to pass as ''rock'' bands but in reality they are more pop than anything. Also Rock hasn't had an icon since the old days. People might disagree with me but the last rock and roll superstar went away when bowie died. After him we haven't had anyone else that interesting really.
>>
>>62474300
Lol anon maybe if you just play open chords. Mastering the guitar is so much fucking harder than making electronic music.
>>
File: 1453148867274.jpg (106 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1453148867274.jpg
106 KB, 736x736
>>62477114
;_;
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 1024x576
Well, the best rock song of all time came out in 2014, so it's not "dead":

https://youtu.be/Q8k3qB61lhk
>>
>>62470596
Rock's not dead, it just retarded and missing a few limbs, but it's not dead
>>
>>62483640
holy that was great
How is the album?
>>
The internet killed it. It's much more instantly gratifying to download albums and music and never have to go to shows to get that dopamine boost.

Back then, you actually had to go to record stores and go to shows to build up your taste, which in turn was no piece of mind to contribute to the industry
>>
>>62474447
Still making good music too imo
>>
File: 1453355005078.gif (2 MB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
1453355005078.gif
2 MB, 400x303
>>62483584
>K. WEST
>>
>>62483640
Julian is truly the saviour of rock music.
>>
>>62470847

Music is a hobby, not a profession (except for a select few).

Welcome to the age of the internet
>>
File: varg_vikernes_02.jpg (139 KB, 354x400) Image search: [Google]
varg_vikernes_02.jpg
139 KB, 354x400
Its so fucking obvious that metal and punk killed rock. They outdid rock in aggression, speed and "danger". After metal and punk, rock has basically been in a downward spiral and now is nothing but hipster indie rock and revivals of shit like psychedelic and garage rock or is mixed with metal and punk.Metal kept innovating with new genres like Death Metal and Black Metal, While Punk created Hardcore, Goth, Post punk,Industrial, Noise. Although i think punk and metal arent innovating like they used to and slowly dying too and are being replaced by electronic and hip hop
>>
ween is still kicking, so there's that.
>>
>>62486300
ehh, not how I'd put it but i mostly agree. Hip hop and electronic have always been more popular than metal and punk though.
>>
File: R-1871787-1289592986.jpeg.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
R-1871787-1289592986.jpeg.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
Its simple economics. Starting a rock band and getting all the necessary equipment and people together is such a costly and laborious process. To start an electronic project you literally just need a computer and pirated software...Not to mention that electronic music has been fucking incredible in the last 20 years
>>
Rock in the traditional known sense is dead, mainstream rock doesn't exist. Defining rock as rebellion? Dangerous? I mean, the 1950s rock was dangerous, couldn't show Elvis below the waist, his gyrating hips were offending for youngsters in their eyes. 60s dangerous period culminated with Jim Morison going drug fueling and getting naked on stage and "died/committed suicide/murdered/alive" 70s would be the "punk movement" I guess, in England, America? Not so sure, Iggy Pop possibly he was also 60s though. 80s? The PMRC scare of the early 80s where Frank Zappa and Dee Snider went to challenge Tipper Gore about obscene lyrics. Thus the labeling system was born. 90s? You had the early 90s explosion, Kurt's death in 1994 signaling and end of rock as we knew and into the Ganster hip hop era of the mid-90s with Tupac etc, then they were killed. Marilyn Manson in the mid to late 90s was controversal and was blamed for Columbine. 2000s? um..... I don't know. 2010s???
>>
>>62478286
This. So much great "stoner rock" on youtube that comes out from channels on a daily.
>>
>>62470596
>who killed it?
Isis
>>
>>62470596

Josh Homme is a consolation rockstar, same with Alex Turner. He fuckin sucks is what I'm saying, everyone knows Nick Olivieri was the cool one in QOTSA thats why he got kicked out, and why they haven't been as good since.

Look at the fucking "rockstars" post 2000 even Fred Durst is better.

Rock is dead let it rest.

OP's photo is cringe20000
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 494x494) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 494x494
>>62483640 forgot trip
>>62484014
Many /mu/tants liked it, most review sources shitted on it though (I think it got a 4.9 on Pitchfork). It's a disgusting mess of strange melodies, and the soundscape is extremely depressive and unsettling. I love it, personally.
>>62485994
FORGIVE THEM
EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT SORRY
>>
It's not dead it's just not the same as it was before and so lost favor in the mainstream. There's a lot of crossover between rock and pop these days and while I'm not sure if it's different from in the past it's a lot more pronounced and people who are "rockers" don't like it and so distance themselves from it.

I can't even think of much rock that isn't metal that isn't like indie rock sounding stuff that a lot of people would call indie pop instead, and I see a lot of complaining about this in this thread. That's mostly to do with it not being popular and so people not finding it as easily as when it was being played everywhere. And honestly this thread reeks of people just talking about the mainstream and thinking that if P4K isn't talking about it and if it's not played on top 40 radio it doesn't exist.

So it's both that rock is mostly crossing over with pop and that rock in general isn't mainstream anymore. It's not dead.
>>
>>62474327

As someone who lives in Hollywood and deals with "dreamers" like you, just don't fucking try to "move to the city". It's saddening seeing people realize how unoriginal they are and that they made a huge mistake wasting their lives in creating mediocre music.
>>
>>62475018
>Rock and roll is supposed to be about rebellion

And hipsters rebelled against that which fits in well with the spirit of rebellion. So your post is quite flawed.
>>
>>62473905
>>62474067
>>62474164
Wonderfully put. Fuck those p4k fuckers and their lapdogs. They've lambasted some incredibly talented artists and shattered their careers because their little drones read their pretentious reviews like scripture and write off anything they don't like as garbage.
>>
>>62470763
/thread
>>
What exactly does everybody mean by "rock"? It's such a nebulous term. This thread is like a Youtube comments section
>>
>>62488593
that's the thing though
Rock is divided into so many sub genres that it's confusing to keep with.
>>
here's the thing.

The electric guitar is an inherently galvanizing and obnoxious instrument (compared to say violin or piano or choir vox). It's rise to prominence coincided (not coincidentally) with the social, political, and sexual revolutions; during which time it found it divine purpose, chaos (noise) welded melodically. A metaphor for youth finding it's voice against overwhelming dissent.

As social movements diminished in their goals and militantism, (aka the system prevailed) the culture now reflects the the sobering return to anti-political apathy and over acceptance of the way things are. Distraction through entertainment is the zeitgeist of the age, the guitar's ability to wake you from stasis is no longer desired. This generation wants to sleep through and escape the pain of life. Music will only get more shapeless. Rock is over, metal is laughably conformist, rap is gutless capitalist propaganda.

Fringe underground noise is our last hope.
>>
>>62470596
Cobain didn't kill it, the people after him did it, they didn't know what to do with all that( I'm not a huge Nirvana or grunge fan for that matter, but thats what its is)
Rock musicians just generally became uninteresting and not only they didn't have anything to say, they were still clingy as fuck trying to prove to people they actually have something to say
Jack White is the only real newer mainstream nigga out there desu senpai
>>
>>62488663
That's why calling rock dead is stupid. It, along with all other genres, is evolving as time goes on. And just because it's not on the radio doesn't mean it's dead, people are still making it. There's probably some kids jamming around right now that'll create some new genre to fit under the rock umbrella.

But this thread is only regarding rock as "rebellious drugs tossin tv out the window XDD" music. Why do people think music has to have some kind of stance? Why can't it just be about something that doesn't have to do with society, like a any kind of idea or thought or aesthetic that an artist had?
> inb4 A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>62474229
Dude holy fuck you are mad lol FUCKING ZOZZLE
>>
File: kysyf.jpg (38 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
kysyf.jpg
38 KB, 400x400
>>62489002
>still forcing zozzle
this isn't how memes work
>>
Rock died the moment Lorde was called a rocker.
>>
Courtney Love
>>
>>62471042
i agree with this, there will be a comeback. Eventually there will be a call back for harder stuff in the mainstream. I'm tired of this warped tour garbage
>>
>rich kids can't be good musicians
LMAO ever hear of Mozart?
>>
Rock is for fucking faggot nerds
>>
File: `1127477645321.jpg (23 KB, 446x380) Image search: [Google]
`1127477645321.jpg
23 KB, 446x380
>>62476292
> Nirvana took inspiration from Metallica

>When it actually took inspiration from Mudhoney, Pixies and The Wipers

You had the daunting task of writing the most retarded shit on /mu/ yet you overcame all odds.
>>
>>62489639
Mudhoney and nirvana were contemporaries and mudhoney was and is bad
>>
>>62473808
Go back to to making cuck threads on /pol/ faggot
>>
ITT: a bunch of delusional faggots

Radio and MTV killed rock
nothing else
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YbNwRHT9o
>>
>>62473542
They eventually went on to make good music, though. I doubt we're going to see a Sgt. Pepper's come from the ranks of today's rockers anytime soon.
>>
>>62488746
What's some of your favorite music from the 'fringe underground noise' scene, brother? It's rare to see an earnest post with thought put into it around here.
>>
File: Run-DMC-King-of-Rock.jpg (39 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Run-DMC-King-of-Rock.jpg
39 KB, 600x600
>>62479203
>this decade

Hip-hop took over rock's throne in the 80s, brah. Rock is too varied of a music style to say it's just about any one thing, but rebellion and passionate declarations were always central to rock n roll. Rock music stopped upsetting old people decades ago, and hip-hop was there to take its place.

Hip-hop has been the 'new' rock n roll as long as you've been alive.
>>
>>62486569
Manson was really the last rockstar and he totally called it.

After him nothing is shocking or edgy without seeming juvenile.
>>
Rock as a whole isn't dead. There's still bands out there making rock music, and there will be for a while yet. Mainstream rock, on the level it was up to and including the early 90's, is dead however. I suppose if I wanted to stretch it, I'd say rocks last gasp in the mainstream consciousness was with nu-metal in the late 90's/early 2000's. Once the metalcore stuff hit, it was pretty much dead in the mainstream.

A lot of people have already said it, but it's a combo of many things. The shifting genre and the rise of bands that were darlings of the press, but never connected much with the average person. MTV. Yes, I know. Hard to believe they were actually relevant once. With the shift towards younger, prettier pop stars and hip hop in the late 90's, it served as another death nail in the coffin of rock in the mainstream. At the time, whatever MTV told you was cool, the masses bought as being cool. At least up until a certain age anyway. Radio and the increasingly limited playlists. And I suppose, just the dumb, superficial personalities of modern pop stars and hip hop artists seemed more intriguing to the masses than dull modern rock.
>>
File: 1453467313002.jpg (19 KB, 550x343) Image search: [Google]
1453467313002.jpg
19 KB, 550x343
oh wow you guys are all ironic posting right? mu has gotten so bad that no one is serious anymore?

>muh rebellion, mainstream, cobain, hipsters

back to 9fag the lot of you
>>
>>62490099
You were born on the 90's
>>
File: KurtsKiller.jpg (6 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
KurtsKiller.jpg
6 KB, 263x192
this asshole
>>
File: edm fest.jpg (455 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
edm fest.jpg
455 KB, 1280x853
>hip hop still thinks its relevant
>>
File: 005-bear_at_picnic_table.jpg (285 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
005-bear_at_picnic_table.jpg
285 KB, 1200x900
Rocks mainstream relevance died after emo then a bunch of venture capitalist thought it would be easier to sell plebes EDM.
You say rock is dead but there are a lot of bands like tame impla, arctic monkeys, diiv, the 1975, aerial pink, deaf haven, Deerhunter animal collective, vampire weekend, MGMT, alabama shakes etc.

So what exactly do you want?
You want rock music to be in the top 40 again?
You want rock stars to be all over TMZ?
You want to be a consumer slave buying the yeezey makr 6000 limited edition nike shoes?
>>
>>62493393
>spanish still thinks it's relevant
>>
>>62493296
this

this is the first time I'm on this board and it's remarkable how different it is from the rest of 4chan. It's like I'm on facebook reading ladbible comments.

LE REBELLION
>>
Musical styles falling out of favor and getting replaced by other things is just a natural process
>>
>>62470596
>Is Rock dead?
No it's in the same state as it was during the acid rave era, and for just about the same length of time.

You watch, people will get sick of edm. And if rock creates something innovative, it will boom again.

There are still more and more new bands out there. And recently people have returned to local live music clubs/pubs
>>
>>62474154
>And, I would say that stoner-rock is actually alive and well. And I guess so is psych-rock, but meh.
You have no idea, I'm already hearing bands like that on the mainstream radio. I mean stoner rock - on a mainstream radio station. Fuck?

Oh and look at QOTSA, they seem to be reaching new heights.
>>
>>62474466
Were Radiohead the last true rock band?
>>
>>62474866
This.

But even if you don't have anything but such a voice, you don't even juice up the distortion to compensate.
>>
>>62470596
Different music comes in and out of style all the time. People thought there wouldn't be rock on the radio and then nirvana happened. And then suddenly it was dead again and then the strokes happened and we got a bunch of cool bands out of it. It will happen again, there's still good new rock music; the new queens of the stone age album is good, the new savages album is okay, the new david bowie album is great, swans is great, there's so much that's great, a lot of it (besides bowie and QOTSA) aren't on the radio
>>
who would win, 137 french citizens or 3 arabs
>>
>Is Rock dead?
No

>If so, who killed it?
Pitchfork and other taste makers that decided to push top 40 pop and mainstream hip hop instead.

"Poptimism" is literally the inverse of "rockism." Rock music isn't "cool" to like just as pop music wasn't cool to like in the 90s. That's really as simple as it is.
>>
"Punk's not dead
It just deserves to die
When it becomes another stale cartoon
A close-minded, self-centered social club
Ideas don't matter, it's who you know
If the music's gotten boring
It's because of the people
Who want everyone to sound the same"

I think this applies to the modern rock scene as much as it applied to the hardcore scene in the late 80's.
>>
>>62488918
Pretty much this

People changed and rock changed with it, the musicians and the audience aren't the same people they were 20-30+ years ago. People born after that time have different interests musically which means they're creating and listening to different music than the people who came before them.

The events that created people who wanted to listen to and create rock are history now, there's no way recapture that feeling without coming off as fake or unoriginal.
>>
>>62470682
This. The reason it's uncool is because most parents listen to Rock now. It's funny how childish young adults are with literally everything. Even the people I know who are in a Rock band won't say it. They say they're in an "Emo" or "Punk" or "Post-Punk" or "Hardcore" band. Anything to go against the grain and defy their parents. Shit, it's gotten so bad that Julian Casablancas won't even call The Strokes "Rock".
>>
>>62486300
Metal and punk are subgenres or rock.
>>
The Jews did it you morons. Don't you get it ?

Rock and Roll was the white boy's favorite music.

Part of bringing the white man down is making his music seem like shit in favor of that nigger 'ooga booga'
>>
File: dawn of the gondolas.png (40 KB, 880x560) Image search: [Google]
dawn of the gondolas.png
40 KB, 880x560
>rock isnt mainstream because it isnt rebellious
>but if it isnt mainstream wouldn't that mean you would be rebellious by liking it
>poptimism is conformity and what the majority likes
>so by listening to rock you are being a rebel
>but you say it isnt rebellious anymore

so which is it
>>
File: 1432978353460.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1432978353460.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>62502950
aren't jews white?
>>
>>62503105

Only when it suits them.
>>
>>62503049
Most (mainstream) rock music was commercialism disguised as counter culture and pop music is just crass commercialism poorly disguised as counter counter culture. Poptimists are just as retarded as rockists and this cycle will repeat itself again.

People need to stop caring about what is cool/uncool to like, stop listening to the opinions of major commercial publications and stop trying to enforce popular opinion on other's musical tastes.
Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.