[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
production thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 1393416152623.gif (1000 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1393416152623.gif
1000 KB, 500x500
/prod/

prodcution general

fuck off soundcloud kid edition

NO soundclouds allowed, use clyp.it instead
>>
>>62390362
not sure why you didn't use the default format. either way, I need help.

I am a production noob, and I have only been doing production for a short while. I am in the proccess of mastering a track, and I would like some input on what to do as far as EQ and compression. At the moment, I don't have access to the actual project files, and I only have the exported master track .wav. So anything I do, will have to be to the entire song, and I can't individually edit instruments.

Any help is appreciated.
>>
How do I into guitar noise like Jesus And Mary Chain in FL Studio?
>>
>>62390362
>fuck off soundcloud kid edition
>wacky gifs
yup, you're TOTALLY not trying to start this up a second time
>>
How do I get a g-funk synth
>>
>>62391188

Mastering is generally done to the entire song anyway, if you're working with tracks and stems you're mixing.

EQ is used in mastering in a corrective manner, and in very little amounts usually but, depending on what your exported mix sounds like, that may or may not be the case with your job today.

You're listening for painful highs, harsh mids and boomy sub-bass, with a focus on doing what you can to remedy those things.

Where compression comes into it, especially multi-band compression, is evening out levels - where a large amount of EQ cut is needed you might get better results using compression on the frequency band instead.

Add a limiter at the last stage of the chain, set according to your views on what loudness is being asked for, and on what you're prepared to put your name to.
>>
>>62391494
Not sure what to make of this post.
>>
>>62391816
thanks dude. I would upload the song, but for whatever reason, it won't let me upload it to clyp.it It says it failed to convert the audio
>>
>>62392068

What are the exported file attributes? Clyp might not like 24-bit or high sample rate wavs - no idea but might be the case.
>>
Is there any way to find out how to use pro tools for a beginner
>>
>>62392284
read the manual
have someone show you around it
but seriously, if you don't understand the basics of audio and this is your first daw then you should consider using another one
>>
>>62392319
Ok thanks. What should I start with? FL studios?
>>
>>62392366
FL and Live are probably the easiest for beginners because of the huge out-of-the-box functionality and the amount of tutorials available online
>>
File: 180px-Prince911.gif (486 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
180px-Prince911.gif
486 KB, 200x200
Is anyone here wanting to kill themselves in their quest to create something that sounds fresh, new and unique?

Every time I piece together pieces of guitar I record or start adding percussion or fiddling with synths I begin to die inside... every drum sample I put into a drum kit makes me think "i have become a FAGGOT" "I won't make that good stuff"

i think i have ocd
>>
>>62392391
Ok thanks tons
>>
>>62392436

OCD (as a casual term) is kinda pre-requisite for production anyway - it pushes concentration and drives the desire to improve.

Don't sweat it anon.
>>
are we allowed to post our soundclouds?

i just want some advice on my music

im still very new to FL studio and have been making simple beats

i uploaded a couple to Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/big-balled-bobby
tell me what you think.
>>
>>62392164
well, i'm using a .wav file. I exported it as 16bit 44.1. sorry for the late response.
>>
>>62392366
i would say to use garage band. if you are literally doing production for your very first time.
>>
>>62392609
try converting it to mp3 first
>>
>>62391494
at least you've taken on the soundcloud kid moniker

please get a trip so we can filter you thanks

also

>based trump won NH
>>
Can anyone rec me some good free reverse reverb and delay VST?
>>
>>62392639
fuckit. I didn't want to lose quality via mp3, so I just uploaded it to soundcloud. I don't know why we can't use soundcloud links in the first place, but I just did. Lol, I hope it doesn't offend OP.

https://soundcloud.com/goldenafro/masteringtips
>>
>>62392760
both soundclound and clyp transcode it to some nasty bitrate anyways, there is no such thing as lossless streaming
just use 320kb/s
>>
>>62392790
i had the track accidentaly set to private, does it work now?
>>
>>62392676
i did that ages ago

fuckin newjack /pol/laks
>>
I need help.

I am a production noob, and I have only been doing production for a short while. I am in the proccess of mastering a track, and I would like some input on what to do as far as EQ and compression. At the moment, I don't have access to the actual project files, and I only have the exported master track .wav. So anything I do, will have to be to the entire song, and I can't individually edit instruments.

Any help is appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/goldenafro/masteringtips

*Yes, I said the same thing earlier, but I forgot to link the track.
>>
>>62393115
>get izotope ozone
>master
>win

now stop posting your fucking soundcloud or you'll be soundcloud kid #2
>>
>>62393115
Dont master your music if you're new to production its just a fuckaround, learn to mix properly first. Mastering is a whole other game that wont matter to someone starting out.
>>
>>62393150
wtf does this even mean? what are you saying? I don't want you guys to look at my fuckin soundcloud. If you had eyes, you would have seen that I couldn't upload it to clypit.

Don't tell me to stop posting. you are the one shitposting.

>get izotope ozone
>master
>win

that's not even help
>>
>>62393238

I understand that, but given that I can't go back to mixing, can you just give me some pointers for mastering? I really would like to finish this song.
>>
>>62393284
mastering a badly mixed track is like polishing a turd
best bet will be eqing and light compression but yeah gl
>>
>>62393242
where the fuck do you think you are you little cunt

have some respect; you are literally breaking the only rule which is "dont post soundcloud links"

you could upload anywhere else to post but here you are acting like an indignant little shit whilst breaking the rules

didnt daddy slap you enough
>>
>>62393327
Lol where do YOU think you are? Do you think you're important here or something?
>>
File: a.jpg (79 KB, 716x768) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
79 KB, 716x768
>>62393461
yes

pic is me (4 u)
>>
>>62393461
amen

>>62393327
what fuckni rule? idiot OP didnt even use the right format. no pastebin, no nothing. and I already told you why i had to post a sc link. fuckoff and grow up.
>>
Just got a cheap MIDI keyboard. Never played piano in my life.

Recommend me a book or tutorial or whatever for getting started on piano.
>>
>>62393461
>>62393568

samefag

stop trying to subvert us soundcloud kid, you will never post your soundcloud here

good night /prod/
>>
is any part of this bumpin
https://clyp.it/j1loat01
>>
Anyone else think that virus gear sounds bad? It's like VST level.
>>
>>62391607
thanks for all the answers fuckers. I ended up just making one in operator
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 480x366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 480x366
Smh I hate when u work on a track for so long and have heard it so much that you can't even tell if it's good or not anymore
>>
Is there a way to actually see the resulting fucking waveform of Operator in Ableton Live?
Why is this stock synth so fucking gimped?
>>
File: coco.png (131 KB, 644x665) Image search: [Google]
coco.png
131 KB, 644x665
https://clyp.it/2hkhofzm

downtempo / hip hop beat. How is it so far, and what would make it better?
>>
>>62392521
or ADHD :)

i would use hyperfocus as a producer name if it didn't sound dweeb-y

>>62392366
ignore other posts. use ableton or logic-- if you start with something lesser like GB or FL you will just have to relearn a whole new program down the line. Might as well dive right in.
>>
Hi /prod/ i need opinions about the noisier parts and the general construction of the track

Warning : it's harsh

https://clyp.it/jrledqtq
>>
File: BEHRINGER XENYX X1204 USB.jpg (131 KB, 487x600) Image search: [Google]
BEHRINGER XENYX X1204 USB.jpg
131 KB, 487x600
what mixers do you use?

what's people's opinion on the xenyx series?
got a 1204fx usb interface mixer
>>
>>62395540
in ableton 9
Audio Effects>spectrum>master
i think that's what you mean
>>
>>62396063
It's pretty good and i don't know

>>62394115
what is that thing anon
>>
>>62396405
thanks dude.
>>
>>62396379
y do ppl use mixers u can mix shit in ableton i mean damn homie u really big time huh
>>
does anyone know where i can find a legit cubase 7 or above crack..? ive been using 5 for years and really wanna upgrade but cant afford 300+ to buy it :|
>>
>>62396574
lol what dude? how old are you

I mainly use this for live gigs (I run mics and analog drum machines/samplers through it)

I also use this for bussing and recording tracks/mic'ing drums/equipment into ableton or other daws when I want to record a jam
>>
>>62396574
relax

he's bait/ a dindu nuffin
>>
>>62396786
lol meant for >>62396772
>>
>>62396574
I know you're probaly just fucking around, but analog mixer "warmth" is something seriously lacking in a lot of daws.
>>
>>62396786
Don't forget that it's always a great time to end your own life
>>
File: cat-stevens.jpg (224 KB, 1480x970) Image search: [Google]
cat-stevens.jpg
224 KB, 1480x970
>>62392436
Sometimes you have to literally lie down and imagine what kind of sound you want from what is possible. You can actually dream a style up. Keeping to the vision when you're doing it rather than going off on another tangent is hard though.
>>
How long did you practice keyboard today /prod/?
You don't want to be that hack who can't play the keyboard when he's getting interviewed right?
>>
>>62397314
who plays a keyboard when they're being interviewed?
>>
>>62397342
I talking those studio tour interview type things
>>
>>62390362
https://clyp.it/c3v1on1q
production I'm working on...
>>
>>62392284
sam ash teaches pro tools every weekend. Guitar center might too.
>>
don't
i
e
>>
>tfw you heard a great motown song to sample on the drive home
>tfw forget the lyrics to it and didnt write it
>tfw none of the stations in my god forsaken town have their playlist available online

just end this suffering senpai
>>
listen2mymixtapebruh.avi.exe.mp3.msi

https://clyp.it/r1qaausy

how decent is it? I just ran with it
>>
https://clyp.it/zs4wwyx0
feedback pls
>>
>>62399305
Those pan flutes or whatever that is sound cheesy as fuck.
>>
File: 523452346.jpg (162 KB, 522x700) Image search: [Google]
523452346.jpg
162 KB, 522x700
I fell asleep in the middle of a mixing session while a 1:30 track played on repeat and my perception of it is so fucked, it's literally insane. I left the room for a few hours, same difference. No joke, I feel like I've hypnotized myself. I'm halfway dreaming when I press play. The mix is completely ingrained in my head and every change I make feels wrong. Like the original version keeps playing in my head and it's phasing with every other version. Every EQ adjustments sounds so different from what I expect, it's like the frequency spectrum got shuffled. I tried to go back to the drawing board, I picked new synths, new patches, new samples, anything. I picked my favourites and they just sound nothing like they're supposed to. I take twenty minutes working on the bass before I'm even convinced it's a bass sound at all. And then I play it in context, and it isn't one.
I just don't know what's happening any more. This is so surreal.
>>
So, this here is a rough sketch I just threw together.
https://clyp.it/ymrjnwgc
Feels pretty promising, I might even finish something for once.
>>
How do I into high pitch like Alva Noto in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYeP8a_Y_0A

?
>>
>>62399861
Sine waves, short notes.
>>
>>62399868
Do you know any vst for that?
>>
>>62399882
Literally anything that can generate a sine wave and has an amp envelope.
i.e. all of them.
>>
>>62399897
Thanks friend
>>
If I want to get into producing hip hop, are specific VSTs that I should be looking at using? Or is it all sampling?
>>
>>62398699

The lyrics popped into my head just before bed, its a Tracy Chapman song called Give me one reason

I have no clue why I thought it was a Motown song
>>
>>62390362
https://clyp.it/1rex1pgg

noone ever listens to my shit in these threads
>>
>>62400651
I know what you mean.
Nobody ever says something about my things either.
>>
>>62400822
7 degrees of sarcasm?
>>
>>62397069

Except most modern mixers are digital anyway and just use a DAC.
>>
>>62399950

>download "Amen" break.
>download sausage fattener vst
>sample and loop old soul tunes
>add amen break over the top of loops
>add sausage fattener to Amen break
>???????
>Profit
>>
>>62401142
>XD
>>
File: cover.jpg (506 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
506 KB, 1500x1500
https://clyp.it/nh30mtek
>>
>>62401061
>I don't know anything about mixers, the post
Digital multitrack machines aren't mixers, they just happen to have them built in. And real fully digital mixers without analog summing are uber expensive, and even more worth it to have if you're using a DAW

There are plenty of mixers with a stereo ADC for recording to a DAW, but they still use analog summing
>>
File: 42o.jpg (78 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
42o.jpg
78 KB, 499x499
Me and my nigg make beats just for fun while getting high af

we just made this
https://clyp.it/xxvsjeoz

r8 it plox
>>
>>62403172
It's just a beat / 10
Kinda muddy tho, and it's obvious you sampled bad quality audio and stretched it as well.
>>
>>62403210
ty
yeah man, just a very basic beat

yes, very bad quality
>recorded ourselves playing drums/congas with an old mono pc mic, cause poorfags and also cause it's just 4 fun :)

and yes, we stretched a sweep sample
>>
>>62392284
answer this question first: how many real instruments are you going to be recording? if you are gonna be recording a live drummer, guitars, singing, in the traditional sense, just learn how to make new tracks and arm them for recording.

if your setup is more "layer guitars over a drum machine and whisper vocals drenched in reverb" then youd probably have an easier time with something like ableton
>>
File: vocalmixbus.jpg (736 KB, 2034x1085) Image search: [Google]
vocalmixbus.jpg
736 KB, 2034x1085
Vocal engineer, mixing engineer, mastering engineer here.

Ask away if you're so inclined.
>>
>>62403256
I don't really mind the LQ sound, has that sort of fitting lo-fi quality to it.
>>
>>62403880

>4 EQs

why do you treat your vocals like trash
>>
>>62404189
Nice shitpost
Pro Q is doing all the corrective EQ
the others are adding a bit of low end, mids and coloring the sound.
>>
>>62404349
>>62403880
>unironically mastering with VSTs
>>
>>62404384
>2016
>using hardware
>>
>>62403880
how would you change my macros for my default channel strip?

also, should the kick and snare be in their own submix group, without the other perc?
>>
>>62403880

Why do you do such aggressive "corrective" EQ cutting when high frequency boosting would shift the phase less?
>>
how's the wax on this rub
https://clyp.it/d2tlcmvm
>>
>>62404811
>https://clyp.it/d2tlcmvm

sounds fucking horrible

stop tripfagging on clyp
>>
>>62401396

nice
>>
>>62404384
>>62404433
glad that argument is over
>>
>>62404537
>how would you change my macros for my default channel strip?
Add an attack control between 1 - 50ms

Maybe also add a wet-dry for your entire strip or just the compressor. Even if you don't do parallel compression often, it's good to have the option for experimentation.

> should the kick and snare be in their own submix group, without the other perc?
That's going to depend a lot... Just trust yourself, if you think it sounds better on the same bus, keep it that way. It's not uncommon for people to group most percussion elements on to the same bus.

>>62404562
Natural phase option in Pro-Q 2 means phase shift is less of a problem. Where phase shift is more of a problem for me is in lower frequencies on a master EQ which can eat up headroom. It's not so much a big deal for higher frequency content, especially on one vocal mix bus.
>>
>>62404811
What's the appeal?
What are you trying to do.
I mean it sounds kinda nice-y but that's all.
There's no idea behind this.
>>
>>62404811
that electric piano progression become boring at by the 2rd repeat. change it up, double or quadruple the amount of bars before it repeats.
>>
>>62404834
no thanks, I like my WIPS to be in one place. excellent feedback though, I can really tell you belong here
>>62404915
will do, thanks
>>62404907
there was no original idea, I just felt like making something, it's part of a larger project I'm working on
>>
>>62404872
>macros/buses
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I've seen some people put a saturator on a return channel and adjust the amount with the send level. That seems strange to me, but would that work in lieu of having one on every track?
>>
>>62404834
>tfw only post to shit up every /prod/ thread
>tfw everyone wishes they could filter you
>tfw no friends on /mu/
>tfw no friends irl

you forgot to post your soundcloud bruh
>>
>>62390362
how do I fix my posture? My back is kinda hunched from leaning over my battlestation

I switched to a standing desk but I'd still like some exercises or something, anyone have anything in mind??
>>
>>62404811
It's really weird, it could all be horrible and wrong but it could also be right(?) if you're going for this sort of sound or whatever.

>>62405069
Start with fixing your desk. I'm nolifing the fuck out of my battlestation and I've yet to develop any back problems whatsoever.
>>
>no soundcloud allowed
>used this very obscure web instead
Why? You people have to be contrarian about everything.
>>
File: Herman-miller-Aeron-Chair1.jpg (95 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Herman-miller-Aeron-Chair1.jpg
95 KB, 800x800
>>62405069
invest in a better chair
>>
>>62405140
There is no e-peen on clyp.
It's just to really show music not generate "fame"
>>
why does all my music turn to shit when I listen to it on earbuds?

HJUST FUCKING KILL ME PHAM
>>
>>62405021
>would that work in lieu of having one on every track
It would be different, if that's what you're asking.

Having a saturation/distortion plugin on the insert of every channel is different because the distortion is only directly affecting the harmonics of that individual source. This is better in some ways because you have control over it. On a return channel, the distortion yields a combined result of all the audio that is sent to that return. You can decide which way you like it based on what your intention is. The only way you can find out is if you try it yourself.

I've used something similar. I've had a distortion + high pass filter + chorus on a return channel to add some sparkle to vocals/synths before. Try it out, but mix it very subtly.
>>
>>62405238
Maybe invest into decent ear-buds?
>>
>>62405254
okay that clears things up for me, thanks! I'll give that effect chain a try!
>>
>>62405238
Because shitty earbuds?
>>
>>62405270
these are pretty decent earbuds, I've tested them with usic Ilike.

I just want to know if there's any way to make my music sound good both in headphones and earbuds right away so I don't have to be switching between them.
>>
>>62405354
mix with them
>>
>>62405195
I guess that is kind of understandable. Then again that reason kind-of implies that people posting their Soundcloud do it for the fame and/or their e-peen and not for convenience but whatever. That's a reason good enough if it means the threads stay as civil as possible.
>>
>>62405354
what do you mean switch between them?
If you're talking about mixing, then that's something you must do. It's called cross-referencing, engineers do it all the time. Even on the most expensive monitoring system, you still should demo your mixes on shitty earbuds to hear how it will sound to the consumer. Never just mix exclusively on one pair.
>>
>>62405069
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSyw8yOyEnk
>>
>>62405442

Knowing that there are people who count their self-worth in SC listens is enough to make the assumption that a production thread will attract some of them, so yeah - ignoring SC links in favour of clyp (which isn't any more difficult to upload to) weeds those out.
>>
>>62405559
Nothing wrong with someone measuring his self-worth based on SC hits as long as that person isn't obnoxious about it.
But yeah, not using SC to begin with is a good way to entirely avoid the problem even if it could alienate some people because they have to upload their music to other website.
>>
>>62403880
>natural phase
why not linear phase?
>>
>>62401142
kek
>>
>>62405748
It does a better job at eliminating artifacts and pre-ringing than linear phase.
>>
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Sonigen_Modular&id=1005

Is anybody using Sonigen Modular? do you know how to automate it? I literally can't automate shit on FL

or alternatively, do you know of any modular-like drum synthesizers?
>>
File: IMG_0351_conv.png (3 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0351_conv.png
3 MB, 1500x1000
https://clyp.it/xqzud2md?token=e5f603bc6d53dadeda7bfeaf501a8d5f

Tried to make something decent sounding out of cheesy drum samples from a toy drum pad and terrible factory FM synth presets circa the mid-80s. Also I think the bass may be out of key because I have terrible pitch recognition at low frequencies.

>>62407450
>I literally can't automate shit on FL
Turn the parameter you want to automate, go to tools > last tweaked and select "create automation clip."
>>
hey, trying to figure out this producing thing again
is the sound design alright or is it super obvious these are all fl studio sounds

https://clyp.it/xk1hoqch
>>
>>62407450
That that plugin looks like the 0 budget edition of the nord modular
>>
>>62396304
please anons :(
>>
>>62407544
fl slayer/10
>>
>>62407544
Sounds like strfkr. So yeah
>>
>>62407508
sounds bretty good when that beat comes in

add some vocal samples and some drum fills to key areas
>>
>>62407544
preset tier sound design, if that...

and for fuck sake tune your drums
>>
>>62407583
it's great
>>
fuck kontakt tbt (to be true)
>>
>>62408196
why?
>>
>>62408228
because my pc doesn't support it and it mskes me jealous
>>
Nobody ever replies to my clyps.
>>
>>62396574
so you can do some dope noise improv on the side
>>
>>62396772
>his music can be performed
fucking philistines
you are not seeing the full potential
>>
thoughts on one of these box things
>>
>>62407508
It's alright, but the bass is actually in a wrong key. Just pitch it up 2 octaves where you can clearly hear it and then pitch it down where it's supposed to be. Apart from that, sound is pretty good, could benefit some more loudness(?) and a bit more stereo during your mastering. But it's pretty solid I like it.

>>62407544
That's a pretty stock sound you got there. Don't be afraid to experiment and go crazy with everything man. Also the Fruity Delay cracked me up kek.

>>62408502
For those ultimate dry vocals. It's probably way easier to pick up shitty mouth noises too with these things, so no.
>>
>>62408252
Same. It runs on my laptop, but i tried to run it as a VST in Ableton with outputs Exhale in it and it loads rather slow and makes Ableton crash due to a mermory issue. I'm on a pretty old laptop, so it's propably an issue on my side.
>>
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Clap&id=892

woah
>>
>>62408673
holy shit thank you!
>>
>>62408673
i needed this, thank anon
>>
I NEED SHIT TO PLAY LIVE GIVE ME AN ALTERNATIVE TO
sp 404/mpc1000
and
tascam portastudio

the sampler needs to be able to play without a compiuter
>>
>>62408673
>tfw good plugins for windows that you can't use

sigh.jpg
>>
>>62408771
electribe sampler senpai

>tascam portastudio
when you say this do you mean the old cassette ones or the new digital SD-card storage ones?
>>
>>62408841
old casettes
electribe is too expensive senpai
>>
>>62392549
ignore him boys
>>
>>62409096
>boys
lol it's so sad that some of you guys actually get off on this whole routine
>>
>>62408673
just
amazing
>>
File: Korg ES-1.jpg (367 KB, 782x573) Image search: [Google]
Korg ES-1.jpg
367 KB, 782x573
>>62409042
why would you want to record to cassettes senpai

also there's another cheaper electribe sampler that exists m8
>>
>>62408771
Cheap Evolution MIDI controllers + Ableton, I'm assuming you're on a tight budget.
>>
>>62409208
Is that thing actually comparable to the ESX1? I had one before i got the Push and i really liked it, but felt like i couldn't do what i wanted to with it.
If i wanted to just play around, would the ES-1 be valuable?
>>
>>62409354
Never used an ESX1 but the ES-1 is a fairly basic sampler geared mainly toward percussion samples rather than melodic ones.

You can still do sample-based beat type stuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdZMSPfZqqc) but if you want to sequence something like a bassline out of a single note sample it's going to be a tedious process.
>>
>>62408771
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhot2OJKKZc
>>
pump
>>
Sup /prod/

I am Soundcloud kid, Ask Me Anything.

Let's turn this into an AMA thread.
>>
>>62410892
we get it, you're new here and you're learning all about "le epic soundcloud kid memez XD"

but this is just a blatant to shit up the thread
>>
>>62410930

Good question

I've actually been here since 2002, any other questions?
>>
>>62411011
are you trying to entertain us or ruse us?
>>
How do I make good melodies, my melodies sound so basic and shit
>>
>>62411091

A mix of both.

Can I get some feedback?

https://soundcloud.com/khinthidakhin/wwqtm2rkyod4
>>
>>62411137
I can help you out with this speaking from personal experience. You wanna listen to a fuck load of music, you wanna spend a lot of time producing, because fiddling around with instruments or making random songs actually really helps you out in becoming a better songwriter subconsciously. Take a recorder or a phone or something, everywhere you go, no matter where you are, taking a shit, walking around, hanging out with friends, you have ideas, original or not, feels that you wanna emulate, chords you like, a groove or rhythm you dig, write that down, record it, compile it into a mother database. Every little idea you have, everything, then you can just pick and match, mashup, experiment.

>>62411183
kek
>>
>>62412090
what about learning some fucking music theory and analysing other melodies?
>>
>>62412142
Yeah, that too, everything you do will help you become a better songwriter. The only really big thing to be careful about is to let your own honest self express themselves through the music, don't base your entire sound on emulating someone else.
>>
>>62412182
lol ur'e a fucking meme
>>
>>62412226
Uhmm ok, sorry for trying to be helpful lol
>>
>>62390362
me and a friend both use ableton to collaborate on stuff. we swap project files and tinker with each others work on our respective computers.

the problem is when we use plugins or samples that we dont have installed on our respective computers.

what would be the best strategy to prevent this?
>>
>>62412872
send the plugins and samples when you send the project files? use a dropbox where all your shit goes so each of you can just grab something quick from it
>>
>>62412872
bouncing to audio and then resample if needed
>>
r8 h8 appreci8 exacerb8 my feelings of inadequacy

https://clyp.it/tpsbn4ku
>>
>>62412937
>>62412934
would copying the entire project folder instead of just the project file make the situation better?
>>
>>62413259
samples yes
vsts no
>>
>>62413259

"Collect All And Save" from the "File" menu does just that - bundles all samples with the project file.
>>
>>62413259
>>62413306

You can use Freeze followed by Flatten to render vst MIDI tracks to audio in-place - the MIDI track gets replaced by an audio track.
>>
>>62413034
I like the drum groove desu and the piano, but this is far from being a finished thing. It's like at 1% done.
>>
What kinds of effects do you guys put on your synths to make them sound less artificial?

Mine just sound so flat and I don't know how to fix it.

Stuff like the recurring background line in this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEUssSaVF9Y
>>
>>62413442
oh yeah i know i was mostly posting as in like am i off to a good start here am i making any huge mistakes already etc
>>
>>62413415
would rather not freeze just cause it makes it more tedious to chop up a wav

>>62413306
i can live with that since im the VST expert so i have more shit than him

>>62413308
nice im gonna test this out between my windows pc and my macbook
>>
>>62413509
That background noise isn't really a synth. There might be a really slow mild pad there, but it sounds to me like sampling, and it's all very soft and drowned in reverb with some noise in there as well.

>>62413511
Nah man, sounds pretty good, if it's really something you wanna do it's up to you in the end. What direction are you gonna go with it?
>>
>>62413628
So could the sample be from anything? Or can I get a sound like that from getting some noise/field recordings and twisting them into pitch?
>>
>>62413509
reverb
lots and lots of reverb
hpf the shit out of it
then band pass filter at a frequency that should have in theory been filtered by the hpf but wasn't
slower attack and slower release (decay and sustain don't mean shit)
ohmicide/camel crusher after the reverb then run it through the reverb again
then a questionable compressor at the end to feel like a producer
>>
guys
I need your help
I literaly cannot stop sucking cock :(
>>
>>62413656
>can I get a sound like that from getting some noise/field recordings and twisting them into pitch?

You got it. Try layering too, you wanna layer what you said with maybe a pad and some noise as well, then glue them all together and maybe resample(?) . Just get creative with it.

>>62413708
kek
>>
>>62413708
dont worry soundcloud kid

suicide is the answer
>>
>>62413619
>would rather not freeze

Then you agree on a set of VSTs that you both have. Or spend some time multi-sampling the VST and using that.
>>
>>62413509

Sounds like either paulstretch or a granular synth.
>>
>>62408771
mpc1000 for days. the mpc1k with jjos is amazing.
>>
>>62413738
im not posting my soundcloud cause people get mad. So don't worry.

I think we had a discussion on this any ways which is why I use Clyp.it for you guys so we don't have whiny little bitches complaining abut "STOP USING SOUNDCLOUD TO PROMOTE YOURSELF!" when honestly all you have to do is post all your info in the description each time anyways on clyp
>>
>>62413825

It's not promoting the info that people are using, it's people using listen counts to get listed in soundcloud recommendations.
>>
>>62413619
>im gonna test this out between my windows pc and my macbook

It's exactly what I use it for too - works perfickly
>>
>>62414018
ah ok. All my shit is there and it's just easier to upload there desu but the only thing I'm not a fan of is the god damn time you get. ive deleted a lot of tracks. sure, it feels good to know someone listened to it.
>>
>>62414170

Yeah their time allocation is from the fucking stone age.
>>
>>62413671
>a questionable compressor at the end to feel like a producer
too close to home
>>
>>62413753
i mentioned this in another reply but im kind of the vsti/synth expert so my buddy pretty much has whatever i suggest to him.

its the random samples that fuck shit up...

>>62414104
my situation is mac to mac so that sort of helps since we have the exact same vstis (since he only uses stuff i green light)...
>>
>>62413509
reverb
chorus
use an lfo to modulate either the filter cutoff or pulse-width a little bit
use a subtle amp/filter env if you aren't already using them
>>
>>62414412
>my buddy pretty much has whatever i suggest to him

Wasn't part of the original question to do with plugins that you guys don't have shared tho?

If all you have to do is share audio then Collect All And Save will do everything you need.- I'd still be careful with VSTs like Battery though cos samples used by that are handled by the VST, for those it might be a good idea to also sync your VST's libraries, or export presets bundled with samples just to be on the safe side.
>>
>>62414254
Why dont they just give us like 10 gbs or something? I'm sure like 1/2 of us figure out how to put close to a million songs on it
>>
>>62414822

It's their best way to monetize - people who want all their audio under the one user name so all of their stats count for the same account.

Where they'll be losing out now is with DJs paying for larger amounts of time but getting their mixes taken down for infringement - fuck that.
>>
>>62414966
all im hearing is "wah wah wah I'm a little bitch"
>>
>>62414588
the vsti was more of a hypothetical situation but just to be safe.... but he loves using samples, hes good at composition and im good at synths and this is why we joined forces.
>>
https://clyp.it/2zqer2cr

pls tell me what you think

>>62413034
I like it
>>
>>62415137
bad quality audio sampled from youtube with an 808 drum kit added / 10
It's quite nice tho actually, I kinda dig your drum programming, but it's gonna need a hell of a lot more juice, both in the arrangement and mixing departments.
>>
good free DAW?

I used to have a pirated copy of Ableton, but I don't feel safe torrenting it on University WiFi?

I don't need too many features, as long as I can make whatever sound I want to make, I'm good.
>>
>>62415216
>I don't need too many features, as long as I can make whatever sound I want to make, I'm good.

That's not DAW dependant, that has to do with which plugs and VSTs you have. Any DAW should get the job done, but completely free and good? Cheapest it'll get is Reaper for 60 bucks.
>>
>>62415276
fugg

can I get by on the Trial version of Ableton with exporting disabled?
>>
>>62404537
where can I get that theme/skin for ableton?
>>
>>62415291
No, because you won't be able to export whatever song you make. I don't think they'll bust you or anything tho you should be pretty safe desu.

>>62415334
Google Ableton Skins or Ableton Themes.
>>
>>62415370
yeah but I could make it, and then play it back and record my computer audio in Audacity :^), then export from audacity.
>>
>>62415334
Go into preferences then look/feel. It's called disco.
>>
>>62415389
kek
>>
plugins/vst's:

how important are they really? do they do things that are already generally within the DAW itself, just more specialized and easier to alter?
ive been using ableton for 2-3 years now and i still have never used but maybe 1 plugin just to see and determined id be fine without.
>>
>>62415588
Well, external plugs and VSTs are pretty important desu. They open up a ton of new routes to make new sounds and shape them, they generally make things way easier. And also, for most producers it's impossible to not work with them, simply because the native plugs don't really do it, except maybe Image-Line FL Studio, it has some of the most amazing plugins I've ever seen but you're still gonna need to make your own sample libraries and expand them, that's always necessary.
>>
>>62415186
i appreciate it, thanks

im prob gonna get rid of some of the percs and put some synths in
>>
>>62405238
it it doesn't sound ok on as many different speakers as possible, then it doesn't sound ok at all, it could be a well written song with great melodies harmonies and drum lines, but if it sounds bad that almost doesn't matter if it sounds like digital shit
>>
I'm a Generic Digital Artist, I do a bit of everything. Right now I'm in need of a DAW so that I can make music and soundscapes for large scale video installations and some animation projects I'm working on. I have fairly basic musical knowledge and fairly basic digital audio knowledge, I did some sound design for dance and theater in the past but that was on Digital Performer and I hated it; plus I no longer have it, it was in school.

Currently looking into Studio One, it seems like it's a good mix of depth and expandability without costing a shit ton and without overwhelming me. Anyone have other suggestions? Tried FL Studio, kinda hated it.
>>
>>62416456
i use studio one

use studio one
>>
whats the best synth vst. something simple/not too complex but effective. also a piano plugin would be cool. i heard fl keys are bad
>>
>>62416652
imo opinion fl keys are only good if you effect the shit out of them, but if you open some of the demo projects you can see that a lot of them use fl keys, and they make it sound great, with little to no processing(but usually a little bit of reverb delay and compression)
synth1 is great, and the most complex thing about it for you might be the LFO , and for piano plugins, I use MDA piano, and piano one, and fl keys if I feel like it
>>
File: IMG_20160129_230248.jpg (82 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_230248.jpg
82 KB, 768x1024
>tfw trying to use a qwerty keyboard to play like a piano

fuck me man
>>
>>62416811
get a tracker.
>>
>>62416811
it's really easy if you
a. already know how to properly play the piano(i don't mean be a piano expert, just how to move your hands and fingers and shiett)
b. if you have girlish hands
>>
>>62415216
I can upload my copy of FL crack to my google drive. would you like that anon?
>>
File: 1409183099001.jpg (38 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1409183099001.jpg
38 KB, 250x250
Is Glue Compression bad?
I feel like i'm picking the easy way out whenever i use it, especially because i don't directly control or shape the sound, but let another track of my project modulate it, and just adjust it a bit until its okay.
>>
>>62405238
I switxh earbuds, pc speakers, laptop speakers, good phones, audio setup and car during the process, it helps a fuck lot, do it too. If it sounds good on laptop, buds and car it is ok. Phones for subtleties, setup for image
>>
>>62405738
Fuck off, its a silly imageboard rule, follow it or break it, but stop bitching
>>
I'm about to leave my DAW to use a digital multitracker and garbage rack mount gear.
I'm gay
>>
I took a drum beat, sliced it to MIDI and recorded my own loop in Ableton. However, my loop is way quieter than the original break. Why is that? Also is there any way to make all the drum sounds in the loop the same volume? Cause some of mine are light pink and quieter and some of them are completely red and full volume. Thanks
>>
>>62418186
>rack mount gear
>garbage
how so senpai?
>>
>>62418272
adjust velocity of the individual hits?
>>
>>62418292
Well it's not garbage to me but it is just cheap (nothing more than 200 american dollars) stuff on craigslist I find.
>>
>>62418272
>my loop is way quieter than the original break. Why is that
because the volume is lower, turn up the volume to take care of this ;)
>Also is there any way to make all the drum sounds in the loop the same volume? Cause some of mine are light pink and quieter and some of them are completely red and full volume
most drum sounds in loops aren't all the same volume, this would sound robotic and artificial and boring, think about it like this, would a human drummer be able to continuously play his hi hats at the same volume forever ? he might try, but unless he is a cyborg or something, he can only get close, but this isn't a bad thing. but to answer your question, turn up the velocities on your notes so they're all the same
>>
>>62415216
Look for a coffee shop. Torrent
>>
File: tascam_portastudio_424_mkii.jpg (173 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
tascam_portastudio_424_mkii.jpg
173 KB, 1024x768
using pic related to record drums at the practice space, just for demos and stuff. I want to replace it with something digital. needs 4 tracks and 4 analog outputs, and at least an hour of recording time. what should I get? doesn't even need the mixer section I do that on a bigger mixer anyway
>>
>>62418434
Sell me your 424
>>
>>62411011
>>62411183
>>62412142
>>62412226
nobody thinks you're me
>>
>>62418372
>because the volume is lower, turn up the volume to take care of this ;)

Even when I turned up the volume for the whole loop track, it was still quieter than the original break at normal volume.
>>
>>62418434
I'm >>62418186
Having done some research into digital multitrack recorders with multiple outs, look into the Vestax HDR-6, it's probably on ebay somewhere. Otherwise, if you have a lot of money, the Alesis HD24 is top dawg.
>>
Don't know where to ask but will ask here.

I want to get music licenses from professional/semi-professional artists to use their music in my commercial work. How much can I expect to pay?
>>
Any Logic users in here?

I'm trying to make a new synth patch using EXS24 and a sample that I have, but every time I go up or down it changes the tempo/speed of the sample as well as changing the pitch. Any way to fix this?
>>
>>62418954
Why do you ask here instead of the artists?
Why do you want to use other artists work? Are you dumb?
>>
incase any one wants some more technical help, my thread on /g/ is up.

>>>/g/daw

come join!

I think the 2 threads can work together, but don't be dumb please.
>>
Someone on /g/ provided a discord chat channel, but is there an IRC channel instead? Why use discord?
>>
File: help.png (167 KB, 544x620) Image search: [Google]
help.png
167 KB, 544x620
Does anyone know how to put SPC files into SNES GSS?

I don't want to constantly put a SPC file into a vst on FL Studio and trying to find the correct synth that usually takes 5 minutes.
pic-related
>>
What are some good affordable vocoder plugins for bro tools?
>>
File: 1453735596759.jpg (202 KB, 571x542) Image search: [Google]
1453735596759.jpg
202 KB, 571x542
>"I produce EDM in FL"
>>
>>62418272
The velocity for the midi notes are different, max them all out at 127
>>
>>62420575
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>62420645
The majority of underageb&s ITT
>>
>>62392366
Renoise. it's cheap and powerful.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.