[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: lunga.jpg (24 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
lunga.jpg
24 KB, 300x297
No Hardsynth/Softsynth Flamewar Allowed Edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CGHNJpHndE [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed]
>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
I found this oldie sitting around, I'd forgotten about it. Lil' clavinet riff that never went nowhere.

https://clyp.it/sy4l4fl1

Also this week I'm lusting over pic related.
>>
Is there a reverb plugin or hardware device that gives you extremely detailed control over the sound? I find myself messing with parameter automation on Valhalla Room Verb all the time, and it never seems quite right.
>>
>>62024907
swing that beat. it sounds rly quantized.
>>
File: 1453591874318.gif (4 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1453591874318.gif
4 MB, 480x360
are there any free vocalic effect compatible with ableton?
>>
File: 1453420851279.jpg (71 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1453420851279.jpg
71 KB, 604x604
>>62024971
vocaloid effects*

holy autocorrect
>>
File: wavesmaxxreverberator.l.jpg (68 KB, 670x419) Image search: [Google]
wavesmaxxreverberator.l.jpg
68 KB, 670x419
>>62024945
I've always found the Waves™ Renaissance Reverb and even their TruVerb plugins offer you lots of control. Back when I was teaching kiddos how to mix I used to draw a big diagram of a room, with length and distance dimensions, angles, wall and floor materials, etc. alone with a source/listener position, and have them design what the reverb *should* sound like if the space were real and the mics were at the "listener" position. 50% science, 50% art, very valuable exercise in understanding all the parameters of a detailed reverb

Also check out the wavearts plugins, their reverb is pretty cool beans too
>>
>>62024970
yeah the beat was just there as a temp click track. o well.
>>
File: matrix-front.png (218 KB, 1198x539) Image search: [Google]
matrix-front.png
218 KB, 1198x539
who else /hype/ here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7otjBeR0yh0
>>
File: masterverb-580x444.jpg (93 KB, 580x443) Image search: [Google]
masterverb-580x444.jpg
93 KB, 580x443
>>62025053
Thanks. Masterverb by Wavearts looks interesting. How does it sound?
>>
>>62025363
it sounds really good imo. it takes awhile to get used to. when you're tweaking the setting i find that what your eyes are hearing doesn't match what your ears are hearing. the interface is a little weird at times. wavearts has like, 5 plugins and all their R&D goes into just those 5, so they're pretty freakin good
>>
what's the best program for writing MIDI files?
>>
>>62025739
are you looking to write MIDI files just to be able to move your performances from program to program, or are you looking to write/print sheet music?

cubase, reason, cakewalk are all good for sequencing/recording/exporting/saving MIDI... logic and protools do it as well but they're way more audio heavy and it's overkill for just MIDI

If you don't need anything fantsy just find some little MIDI sequencer app online, shit's probably free or close
>>
>>62025854
I want to write music for my Doom maps, and the sound drops out randomly when I use the MIDI template in FL Studio
>>
>>62025900
oh huh. well, then cubase or cakewalk will get you the general MIDI instruments that you'll translate to your doom maps. i haven't done this sort of thing in a long time though, but i used to use cakewalk for general MIDI

https://clyp.it/vxxz0pix
>>
>>62025739
Audacity is good if you want something simple.
>>
>>62025992
Cakewalk sounds good. Nice song, too.

>>62026071
come on man
>>
>>62026201
well with general MIDI the way it sounds depends entirely on your OS and/or your soundcard. if i took that MIDI file to another puter it would sound totally different. the instrumenttion would be the same (strings are strings, drums are drums, piano is piano, etc) but the sound engine is different so they'd have different quality. that was like 15 years ago too -__-

>Nice song, too.
thanks! it's become a classic that i'm still fond of
>>
>>62026071
Anon go to the corner of shame. We don't speak of that here
>>
>>62025992
really nice tune
that could be epic with some more mixing work
>>
>>62026260
i'm pretty sure i don't have the MIDI anymore. i'd have to manually transcribe it by ear, which isn't whicked hard for something like this but that just ain't gon' happen

but thanks friend!
>>
why's prod so dead?
>>
>>62027029
/mu/ is a shit board, very few people who know anything about music are going to stick around
>>
Is Pure Data worth learning? it seems so complex
>>
>>62027081
why are you here then
>>
File: what about this senpai.jpg (63 KB, 881x622) Image search: [Google]
what about this senpai.jpg
63 KB, 881x622
>>62024826
Last thread I was asking about buying a new PC tower, dedicated to production, and monitors and where/how I should position them in relation to the room I will be using.

I currently have everything set up as in pic related but someone last thread said about "acoustic treatment" and after reading it about it i've discerned that

>the alcove my speakers would be in is bad
>my speakers should have a certain distance between them and the wall

Now due to the fact that I can't really change where I intend to set my shit up I was hoping someone could suggest some workarounds or comment on any ideas I have?

I was thinking if I brought my desk out away from the alcove a certain amount and get some stands for my monitors I could solve both problems, or is that just going to give a really weird image to the sound?

If I filled the alcove with something and then brought the desk out relative to it being filled, or would this create the cabinet speaker effect I came across in my travels?

appreciate any help
>>
Here's a recent project I did, it was inspired by Boboa - Feeling Fine (Lazy Dayz Mix)
https://clyp.it/unipuzr3
>>
https://clyp.it/qtcx43xu

posted this before, turned down the synths and added some sampled parts plus some mixer feedback I recorded (those bird noises). How is the mixing now though?
>>
Thinking about switching from Ableton to Logic. Pros? Cons?
>>
>>62027368
Thanks
https://soundcloud.com/crystalsedm
>>
>bump

>>62027257
funky vibes, the reverb on the rim/snare is nice and fits the mix like glue but without it its quite empty.

the instruments all fit very nicely in the minimal sort of vibe ur going for and the jazzy bass guitar samples is niice, nice choice of sample/instrument

sounds like something for waking up with a hangover where u just wanna get snug and cosy

>>62027317
at 19 seconds the abrupt fade is pretty bad imo desu most of it is pretty bad but i just dont like the type of music so it makes it hard to comment upon however

the synthy ambient stab between 15-16seconds is way to loud/compressed, the whole bleeps and bloops thing sounds way to bright and high like if it were on loud speakers it would destroy ur ears

im guessing you were trying to have quiet drums (?) but i would say they are waaay too quiet

also too much reverb everywhere

>>62027253
>>62027253
if anyone has any help for my post here pls pipe up

https://clyp.it/vlleh5c2

this is what ive been working on the past few hours just roughly assembled, i know certain of the bass stabs are at the wrong volume right now but fuck it its 6am
>>
>>62027996
reading some stuff about room acoustics and i came across this

>To solve the problem, pro studios often build their monitors directly into the wall, thus eliminating all rear reflections.

if I were to build my speakers INTO a sort of cabinet unit that is aligned with the other wall, would that stop the phasing issues created by monitors being too close to the wall?
>>
Hey guys, I've been screwing around with a lot of free VSTs in FL Studio just for fun but haven't really done anything with it. However, a couple days ago a friend of mine showed me two albums, Winter by Dan Black and Fucked Up Friends by Tobacco.
I don't know why, but I fell in love with the drums on both of these albums and want to recreate that same dirty and gritty sound. However, I'm a little bit at a loss of how to do it. Every single drum plugin I've been grabbing just makes the beat sound too clean. Anybody happen to know how to do this?
>>
>>62028655
Bitcrush things, distort and saturate things, modulate the pitch subtly, layer a bit of noise in. Just try different things
>>
File: 1442767602076.gif (3 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1442767602076.gif
3 MB, 250x188
how do i make this not sound like shit?

https://clyp.it/e3se3cpd
>>
>>62029249

Layer drums, compress, eq. I would reconsider the arrangement it sounds all over the place, there is nothing to hold on to.
>>
Hey prod. what would you consider the best grime producer to be? As of rn
>>
>>62025128
That grid looks pretty convenient, but I wasn't really that impressed with the sounds desu. I skipped around though, so maybe I missed something great.

So these fairs, with the hardware demonstrations and such. What are some good ones in Europe? I wanna get into hardware, but I bet if I get some 150€ thing I'll feel really constrained in twenty minutes. But if I'm gonna empty my bank account, I wanna try out a bunch of synths first.
Anyone been to one of those? Worth going?
>>
>>62031505
Does anyone use console strip VSTs?
I kinda never saw the point of those. A lot of the options are built into the DAW or I've probably got other plugins that cover it better.
>>
>>62031631
>quote
Whoops.
>>
is Omnisphere worth the price?
>>
File: 1434786213372.jpg (649 KB, 4000x2248) Image search: [Google]
1434786213372.jpg
649 KB, 4000x2248
Question for anyone who is freelancing or otherwise employed in an audio producer and/or engineer position

How crucial would you say it is to understand how to operate Pro Tools?

The reason I ask is that my uni pushes avid products a lot and from what i've gathered, the professors all talk shit about pro tools. Should I concern myself with this product or stick to what I know?

tl;dr is pro tools really that important or can i just stick with ableton
>>
give me some feedback you hopeless shut-ins

https://clyp.it/vzqsaixs
>>
>>62032129

sounds really sterile and digital

otherwise its mediocre
>>
>>62032129
I liked the intro, but that thing really got old desu. Drums are excellent, though.
>>
Somewhat inspired by BBNG.

Bass lines are hard to make, so I decided to hold off on that until later. Would appreciate any sort of feedback.

https://clyp.it/vzrierx2
>>
>>62032359
>>62032378
cheers lads, guess it's not really worth working on further then
>>
What kind of audio interface is everyone running?

I've been using a toneport ux1 for the past 6 years or so, but its finally dying. Any safe bets that work well with Windows 7? This box I got know cracks, pop and makes all kind of weird noises.

I only need 2 inputs (for guitar/bass and one for mics) and having midi in/out is a must. Scarlett the way to go?
>>
>>62032647
scarlett is good yes
I have the NI komplete audio 6 which is also excellent, two inputs midi in good drivers phantom power
>>
>>62032529
I like it but that kick is far too heavy increase the attack it's too punchy otherwise it's fine
>>
>>62032647
Get a 2i2 affordable quality for bedroom prod
>>
>>62032659

Thanks mate I'll check both out
>>
File: 1409183099001.jpg (38 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1409183099001.jpg
38 KB, 250x250
What's a good dynamic microphone for recording instruments somewhere around 100€?

I've heard the Shure SM57 is a good one, but i watched some video reviews and i'm not really sure
>>
File: no.jpg (63 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
63 KB, 700x700
>Listen to interview with one of my favorite producers, expecting to learn something about his production techniques
>"music" journalist just asks questions like "were you bullied in high school" or "what was your environment like when you made the record" instead of actual questions about the production

Fuck music journalism. It's fucking cancer. Fuck you Pitchfork
>>
>>62024907
Love the SV1, but looking back though I'd get a nord electro 3 or 4
>>
>>62033162
lol
get the shure dude, it's industry standard
>>
>>62033997
what this person said

But whatever you do don't buy it off of ebay or anything, because since it's industry standard there's a lot of fake copies of it out there. I'm not even joking. So only buy it from a trusted retailer.
>>
File: 45345.gif (2 MB, 359x253) Image search: [Google]
45345.gif
2 MB, 359x253
Not sure if I should take this to /g/ or here, but I'd like to talk about computer noise.
1)Is there such a thing as a silent laptop cooling pad? Intuitively it makes no sense to me, but I could really use one. I tried blowing the dust out, didn't help. I'm gonna reseat the fan and apply new thermal paste, but my hopes are low.

2)I've got Win7 on an SSD and I'd like to put an HDD into my optical drive bay, but I'm worried it'll run even when it's not needed, or that Win7 is gonna do a lot of automatic housekeeping on it when I don't expressly want anything.
>>
>>62033162
Like the other anon said, the Shure SM57 is an industry standard, you should get it.
>>
>>62034651
If none of what you said you'd do works out, then you can't do anything about it unfortunately.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 469x505
How is this setup?

sennheiser hd 280 pro
alesis vi49
Logic Pro x
Maschine mikro
M audio shit ass monitors
>>
>>62034666
Well, I could start manually messing with the fan. Cool it way down, then turn off every process possible and set the max temperature as high as I dare while I record.
Sounds a bit risky though, and a hassle.

Otherwise I can turn the thing off and start recording on tape. I think I'd be into that anyway.
>>
>>62034718
It's alright for your little bedroom thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (628 KB, 1118x1396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
628 KB, 1118x1396
>tfw don't know what direction to take my album

Influenced by deadmau5s first album, the groove of techno, the clean and organic sounds of Jon Hopkins, MURA masa and cashmere cat, and the epic strings of movie scores.

Shit senpai. Advice?
>>
>>62034735
It's risky. Oh, you'll go the analog route? Eh, not my cup of tea but whatever maeng.
>>
>>62034745
Yes, make stuff that comes from within you, don't try to emulate too much.
>>
I love my production but struggle with mixing and mastering. Should I have a professional mix and master my tracks to make them album worthy?
>>
>>62034776
If you want total control, you should learn how to do it yourself, you'll be glad you did when you reach the level you want.
>>
>>62034745
post a song please, sounds intredasting
>>
>>62033477
But waass Apex Twin bullied or nah?
>>
>>62024826
> [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed]
>>
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 640x640
How do I make sweeping background sounds to fill out my tracks?
>>
>>62034822
by automating EQs on noise or by using pre-made samples from samplepacks.
>>
>>62031505
Musik Messe Frankfurt is the big one
>>
>>62034745
sounds like you haven't really found your voice yet...

keep makings songs, find your own sound, stop thinking about an album
>>
is mpc500 good for using it as a sampler live?
i just want to put some pads/ambience and drum tracks on it in order to play it live
>>
>>62035090
Yeah it is.
>>
>>62034822
what this anon said: >>62034889
or you can automate panning if that's what your going for.
>>
Can anyone recommend any books on drums? Either electronic or just drumming in general
I'm trying to get better at sequencing my drums
>>
>>62025128
Would be hyped, but I'm sketched on arturia build quality.
>>
>>62028533
that's a pretty big hassle, though
soffit mounting speakers needs a special type of speakers intended for it (external electronics, front porting) because you want to completely isolate them from any surroundings by putting them in a sand filled box sitting in your sand or rockwool filled wall
otherwise you're just making the walls vibrate uncontrollably
>>
what type of controller do you need to map pic related?

ableton wont let me map it in the pitch/wheel
>>
>>62035855
cause that is an x/y control... you need to map the amount and rate, not the dot.
>>
>>62032042
Depends what you plan working with?

If your client are mostly using live then there is little use learning pro tools, but desu most actual studios will be running pro tools as its pretty much the industry standard.
>>
>>62032042
>How crucial would you say it is to understand how to operate Pro Tools?
extremely important, except for the classical field, there you want to know pyramix as well, but protools is a must

>the professors all talk shit about pro tools
everyone talks shit about it because it's a piece of shit and avid are assholes that just want to shove their shitty unreliable hardware down your throat as well and don't even get me started about the new subscription models
but meh, you NEED to know it because it's what's there
>can i just stick with ableton
no
no place will let you near a running session when you can not fluently as fuck operate (at least tape op) protools
>>
Anyone here got the Ableton Push mk1? If i load a drum loop into simpler, slice it and then have it in a drumrack/on the fingerdrum pad section, how can i have 2 sounds on the same note in the step sequencer? It only lets me put one sound per note and if i try to put more then one, it plays either just one or nothing at all.
>>
File: drifters.jpg (63 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
drifters.jpg
63 KB, 319x319
Does anyone here have any tips for lo-fi production?
Like when i record a basic synth from operator how do i make it sound really lo-fi? Is it even possible to do it without analog equipment?

pic related is my inspiration for that kind of sound
>>
>>62035605
Listen to your favorite songs and try to copy the and study the drums and grooves on these.

>>62035855
You can't map the dot. Map X and Y on separate controls and then you'll be able to control the dot.

>>62035990
I don't think you can.

>>62036088
Use Redux and bitcrush it.
>>
>>62036101
>Use Redux and bitcrush it.

But a lot of the sounds texture gets lost when you bitcrush shit. There's a lot of lo-fi music where synths and guitars still retain a lot of their texture, surely there must be another way?
>>
>>62036198
Soft bitcrushing.
>>
I don't know guys, I just miss the heavy electrogrind sound of the late 00s
https://clyp.it/eb0ezz5i
>>
>>62025053
But no one cares about reality in reverb
>>
>>62025008
Kill yourself
>>
Sometimes I listen to these clips and think, do you guys have ears? Get some decent equipment and learn to fucking mix
>>
>>62036088
Get a cassette tape portastudio on eBay. Overload the inputs to the point of distortion. Master to reel to reel or cassette. Use cheap guitar pedals in an FX loop. Play everything through a guitar amp turned to distortion.

Just a couple things I've tried
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 350x254) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 350x254
>>62032042
The fuck is that?
>>
File: macyfmch1.jpg (391 KB, 1099x1357) Image search: [Google]
macyfmch1.jpg
391 KB, 1099x1357
>>62036088
>>62036198
D16 has an incredible range of plug ins, they're torrentable
>>
>>62036717
It's the weird part of not being able to be objective to your own stuff. That's the hardest part.
>>
>>62036101
Can i not have two sounds on the same midi note in ableton?
>>
>>62036804
No :/
>>
>>62036764
Fucking this.
If you've been listening to your own song for 10 hours, chances are you can't judge it accurately anymore.
>>
>>62036804
There is a way to activate another sound simultaneously while hitting a midi note. Useful for kick and bass, but I've forgotten how to do it or even what the technique's called.
>>
>>62036888
Keytracking? Trying to assign different velocities within the same MIDI note information I think.
>>
>>62031939
probaly, isn't it the #1 film score VST?
>>
>>62036757

THATS MY HAND YOU INSENSITIVE SHIT! DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO PUSH MY FUCKING PADS WITH THESE NUBS?!
>>
>>62036937
Maybe, its not something I do because I'm in arranger and just fiddle till I'm right.
>>
>>62036973
Definitely not, if you want to look into the number one film scoring VSTs you're gonna look for Kontakt libraries.
>>
>>62036465
Its good apart from the clap / shaker at the intro is too loud. The drum sounds like a fixed loop, have you added groove?
>>
>>62036088
Fab Filter Saturn, I'd use it on everything if it wasn't CPU taxing.
>>
>>62036717
Now now, most people in this thread are beginners. We're all in the process of learning here, senpai
>>
>>62037069
That's probably the most popular one (considering that most film music is shit anyway), but Kontakt libraries are for the most part not even close to the best ones, quality-wise. They do have some great stuff though.
>>
>>62036101
>>62036233

bitcrushing =/= lo-fi

Who came up with this shitty meme? Bitcrushing sounds completely different.
>>
>>62035846
yeah its mounting up to be quite an ordeal.
>>
>>62036088
Lowpass followed by distortion
>>
>>62037228
You can't be serious. I mean, Omnisphere has some very nice textures but it looks like you haven't even scraped the surface of Kontakt Libraries.

>>62037234
Bitcrushing and/or record in shitty bitrate.
>>
>>62037234
>bitcrushing =/= lo-fi
>>
File: Oneo.png (132 KB, 470x305) Image search: [Google]
Oneo.png
132 KB, 470x305
>>62031939
If you want a demonstration of what can be achieved with Omnisphere listen to Oneohtrix Point Never's latest album

He uses it for all his synths
https://vimeo.com/137620853

I really want to buy it desu but 399€ is just a lot... I could buy a used hardware synths for some oldschool shit instead.
>>
File: image.png (426 KB, 780x871) Image search: [Google]
image.png
426 KB, 780x871
Can I still be successful if I just started playing music a year ago? I have no experience but I'm
Teaching myself piano and music theory.
>>
>>62037309
low fidelity =/= low bitrate
>>
>>62037328
If you have passion and a clear vision then sure, it's the only thing that matters, oh, and taste. A lot of producers nowadays aren't really musicians, they just have good taste. Work starting there.
>>
>>62037328
fuck off

There's literally 589345893 successful music producers who don't know how to play instruments. What kind of moutbreather tier retarded question is that?

I hate myself for even responding
>>
>>62037316
Is there confirmation that he used Omnisphere for G.O.D? He did a rundown of all the tracks on Replica and a lot of them were omnisphere, and RP7 used presets, but I never heard anything about G.O.D.
>>
>>62037365
Yes he uses Omnisphere 2 for almost all of it.
The vocals on the album come from a plugin called Chipspeech though. Of course heavily altered with whatever magic he used
>>
>>62035605
I have this problem too. When I try to write natural drum parts, I'm headed straight for the uncanny valley.

So I thought I should dissect some MIDIs, but while I looked for them I remember how a bunch of libraries came with rex loops. So just now I've been looking through those and I definitely feel I've broken some important preconceptions about timing.
Like, I'm comfortable with swing since every other note is still on the grid, but every time I go off a bit, I feel like I have to get back on the grid within the next two notes at most. Just getting rid of this idea could be huge for me. Or on the other hand, there were some loops that sounded pretty cool and they were actually mostly on the grid so now I feel a bit more confident to judge when deviation is actually necessary.

Not learning a lot about velocity, though.
>>
>>62037361
>this level of insecurity
lmfao
>>
>>62037447
what are you talking about?
obliterate yourself. stop shitposting in /prod/
>>
>>62027253
>>62027996
>>62028533
please can someone just suggest something to help me
>>
>>62037469
it's pretty clear what I'm talking about fammo ;^)
>>
>>62037497
rearrange your room or use another room
>>
>>62037529
so, no is your answer to my question?
>>
>>62037301
>You can't be serious. I mean, Omnisphere has some very nice textures but it looks like you haven't even scraped the surface of Kontakt Libraries.
I was referring to the orchestral libraries. I have little experience with the other stuff they include. I can see how that wasn't clear.
>>
>>62037442
You should just listen to it. The grid is 'wrong'. Was it Burial who said if he used a grid his music would be shit.
>>
>>62037361

Why did you get so defensive towards him?
>>
>>62037469
Hey man, relax, we've all asked that question at some point. "Can I make it?" You don't have to be an asshole about it.

>>62037497
Acoustic treatment is one thing, but like with everything, people make too much of it. Just relax, you'll be alright.

>>62037565
Even if you were, Kontakt's huuuuuuge array of orchestral libraries is the closest to the real thing you'll get.
>>
I messed around with FL Studio for around 4 years or so now. Now i'd like to get more serious, sold my KORG ESX (the old one), got an Ableton Push 1 and switch over to Ableton completely.
Now the problem is, i have never made any serious music. I have no idead about how to produce a song and stuff like arranging and such basic stuff. How do i go on about learning all that shit?
>>
>>62037547
if you must sit in that corner then use headphones in combination with small front ported speakers very near at a low volume
>>
>>62037595
It's hectic at first, but start with the links on the OP.
>>
>>62037497
I think you're worrying about it too much, you have to work with what you have and if you try your mixes on different systems you'll find obvious problems soon enough. You'll also adapt to your space. But I'm sure some acoustician would say you're doomed
>>
>>62037587
Because "i just started, can i be successful?" is a retarded question that doesn't need to be asked

especially on an anonymous image board where noone knows you, about your adaptability, how fast you learn, your taste, ambition and what not

THERE'S NO REASON TO ASK SUCH A QUESTION
>>
>>62037442
MIDIs are good, but they way I started out was by simply reading about the diferent drums on Wikipedia to understand each drum and cymbal's roles. Once you understand idiomatic writing, you have a better grasp of what you can do.

And check out Troy Wright's Plini covers on Youtube. He also has tabs and Plini's drum-writing is the most tasteful and sexy drum-writing I know of.
>>
File: arca-mutant-album.png (906 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
arca-mutant-album.png
906 KB, 1200x1200
>>62037316
Omnisphere is the post-internet producer's VSTi of choice
>>
>>62037669
Just tell him yes and make him feel better, what's so bad about it?
>>
>>62037669
But all of YOUR posts are things that need to be said, right? Fuck off
>>
>>62037316
He's not very good though and his music sounds budget as fuck
>>
>>62037687
Did Arca use Omnisphere for mutant?

I don't know even though he manipulates a lot of the sounds on this album it still sounds incredibly sterile to me. I love G.O.D so when i heard the first track off of Mutant i thought it would be right up my ally but it just bored me after a few tracks because it all sounds the same
>>
>>62037669

Yeah I guess that's fair enough
>>
>>62037593
>Even if you were, Kontakt's huuuuuuge array of orchestral libraries is the closest to the real thing you'll get.
Maybe at some point they were, but as a user of those libraries, I can easily see that stuff like EastWest, Spitfire and the Cines, along with some more specialized libraries, are better. Kontakt's libraries are huge though, and pretty damn consistent.
>>
File: SENPAI.jpg (53 KB, 881x622) Image search: [Google]
SENPAI.jpg
53 KB, 881x622
>>62037593
>>62037612
>>62037661

what about this as a setup?
>>
>>62037759
>He's not very good though

LOL
>>
>>62037784
Looks about right, any isolation pads?
>>
>>62037759
le
>>
>>62037839
yes i will have iso pads, ill also jack some stands from my dad or something, they wont be on the desk either way

ill do the math for the foam behind the monitors as they are rear ported (apparently ? lol) in an attempt to stop the omnidirectional (?) bass projection phasing effects.

i would also look to invest in bass traps when i get another bunch of funds
>>
>>62037784
a lot better
absorb your first reflection spots (the empty corner, the door and ceiling) and put up a heavy curtain on the window and it's going to be alright
>>
>>62037885
i was up all night doing measurements and room calculations and its safe to say my misses is going to HATE WHAT I DO TO THIS ROOM bwuahahaha

fuck bitches get money
>>
>>62037885
how would you suggest going about absorbing the reflection of the ceiling, the and the corner respectively?

i assume they would require different techniques?

ive been reading about acoustic treatment for hours and hours but there is a LOT of shilling and not exactly "misinformation" but there is a lot of unnecessary stuff for someone who isnt working at a professional level and there tends to be lots very broad information without much advise for specific scenarios and im apprehensive about fucking my shit up royally ugetme
>>
>>62037981
There's this fucking tool by the guys who made T-Racks that like fixes room stuff but it's software. You kinda input your room and it alters the sound to get rid of the problems or some shit, I think it's called ARC or something, check it out.
>>
>>62038020
>ARC
>shilling
>irony

jokes aside tfw dont have 365 euro spare
>>
File: IMG_20160126_193129827_HDR_proc.jpg (85 KB, 1037x582) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_193129827_HDR_proc.jpg
85 KB, 1037x582
>>62037918
girls love huge, fluffy absorbers

>>62037981
I'd go with basotect tiles (of maybe 50x50x10cm) since these are easy to glue to walls and ceilings and good enough to reduce first reflections on the right spots
ideally you could trap that empty corner with something like rockwool or even a scopus, but you can still add something at a later point after doing some measurements with the speakers in the room
>>
>>62037981
Room Eq Wizard
>>
>>62038147

It might sound dumb, but I've always wondered how effective those soundproofing asorbers things are.
>>
>>62038147
>melamine foam
>>
>>62038157
REW and other room correction DSP is nice to get information about what you need to do to your room and to output an EQ that does like the last finishing touches to your low frequency range and such (by reducing your sweet spot to the size of a pinhead mostly) but it can't do magic
>>
>>62038147
shes already trying her best to stop me spending my money but desu she can go fuck herself

>basotect tiles
>£300

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz yo fuuccccck that

are there tiles that arnt...ykno.... £300... that would be apt for early reflections?

>>62038157
only simulates 4 walls
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 960x640
I'm trying to make some minimal gritty classic techno. Rate? Advice?

https://clyp.it/cozfupd3
>>
>>62038233
the best stuff

>>62038217
depending on the thickness pretty efficient with high frequencies, that's why most rooms that get covered with these sound dull and muddy as fuck
>>
>>62024945
If you wanna spend the big bucks, you're not gonna find a much better reverb plugin than Altiverb. It's convolution and it has basically limitless different reverb samples (any new ones they make are free once you get the plugin, and you can download them within the plugin itself).
>>
>>62038247
Dunno mate, the way you put it sounds pretty magical, I don't bother with room treatment personally, I'm going to pass on my good tracks to a mix master engineer to correct
>>
>>62038258
yeah basotect isn't the cheapest stuff, but amazing absorbtion/weight ratio
you can DIY wooden frames filled with rockwool or similar high density insulation stuff like I did for a bit less but these will be quite heavy and therefore not so easy to set up on a wall let alone a ceiling
>>
>>62038320
tfw altiverb is 32bit
>>
File: 1440194064456.gif (2 MB, 277x342) Image search: [Google]
1440194064456.gif
2 MB, 277x342
Is it normal to suck incredibly bad at finger drumming at first or are the Axiom49's pads fucking horrible or what? Because I'm worse at this than I can explain. I thought maybe I had no rhythm all along and just never noticed until I recorded myself, but I tried tapping on the table like usual and I recorded it and it was cool. But the moment I touch the pads, I go retarded for some reason. The latency's short enough that I can't hear it, I know where all the notes are, I'm playing slow and easy, doesn't matter. I have no idea what's throwing me off so hard, but I'm all over the place.
>>
File: image.png (343 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
343 KB, 750x1334
Daily remind that strict adhesion to genres dampers creativity
>>
>>62038366
>finger drumming

Mad sack pls.

But no. You'll get better once your sense of timing improve
>>
>>62038364
It sounds good enough that it's probably worth bridging if you're running a 64-bit DAW
>>
>>62038366
Is your daw auto-quantising what you're playing?
>>
>>62038323
don't get me wrong, I use REW a lot and at work we have a trinnov, which is really supposed to be magical but mostly it's turned off because the only thing you're noticing is the long ass latency and the weird things happening outside the sweet spot, which makes it useless when there's more than one person working in the room
>>
>>62038364
Doesn't your DAW have a 32/64bit plugin bridge?
>>
>>62038366
Pads take adjustment to get used to, and you'll notice that even some of the most noteworthy pad players drift off time a little bit here and there. Since they don't really have any give to them it can be hard to know exactly how hard you wanna hit it to get the desired sound, and you just have to use the pads over and over until you get used to them.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 440x606) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 440x606
>>62038369
This
>>
>>62038426
>>62038393
i can bridge it but allow it i got bare reverb stuff desu i cba right now

>>62038362
I can get the 50x50 tiles for ~£13 a tile. If i have the funds left over afterwards is this going to be a useful investment?

Are these tiles going to be 5cm squared...?
>>
>>62036198
Just use regular distortion plugins, and get a nice noise floor going (maybe sidechain it with some of the lower end instruments in the mix like the kick). Soundtoys has good ones like Decapitator and Radiator.
>>
>>62038492
im just a massive retard

also very high

they were 500mm not 50 this makes a lot more sense

so if i am looking to use these to stop early reflections, what sort of thickness am i going to need to be affecting sort of ~40hz range?

also what distance from the wall should the rear monitor ports be in conjunction with this reflection foam?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>62038543
You smoke brah?
>>
>>62038492
>I can get the 50x50 tiles for ~£13 a tile
of what? rockwool? sounds like a good price
but make sure to frame that stuff and pack it in some molton or similar since you don't want it flying through the air

>Are these tiles going to be 5cm squared...?
what?
>>
File: IMG_1059.jpg (308 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1059.jpg
308 KB, 720x960
>>62038566

>>62038591
of basotect sound tiles
>>
>>62038543
>affecting sort of ~40hz range?
no, that's not what these first reflections absorbers will do. go with 10-20cm of thickness
low frequency absorbtion goes in the corners
>>
>>62024826
>[Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed]

Get your shit together OP. It's not like people are fighting about who makes a new thread fastest, you can at least take the time to remove that shit
>>
https://clyp.it/qun4yzet

Looking for feedback.
>>
>>62038631
no thats not true from what ive been reading.

bass gets trapped in corners, yes, but initial early reflections can cause huge dips in room sound quality and are know to be a massive influencing factor in the low low end
>>
>>62038673
what you're talking are room modes
>>
File: Suicide1977.jpg (22 KB, 316x315) Image search: [Google]
Suicide1977.jpg
22 KB, 316x315
Does anyone know how do get your kicks to sound like they're almost "breathing" ?

I'm specifically talking about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXp0eF8s0

I could just sample it but i'd really like to know how this works
>>
>>62038698
room modes and standing waves are created from behind the monitor aswell when there isnt enough space between the wall and the monitor, these can apprently be addressed with specific thickness of foam placed between the wall and rear port.
>>
>>62038627
Oh shit that's a lot of bud. Enjoy it my friend
>>
>>62038777
>do you smoke paul?

yeah its some lovely stuff

>>62038768
because the wavelengths are LONG for example 100hz is 11.5ft long (or something like that) so to intercept the wave that is being reflected back from the wall with the waves that are being projected towards the listener, and then back from the reverb wall. if the gap between the minitors and the back wall is a multiple of 1/4 or 1/2 (?) which are on the antinodes and nodes respectively, then you will get direct phasing issues and dips in bass.

this happens with bass because of the omnidirectional nature of the freqencies.
>>
>>62038768
of course they are, but it seems like you can't do a lot about them in that place, don't get me wrong, absorption behind your speakers is great thing and will help with the impression of a 'dead end' room side and to a part with the rear porting troubles as well, but to really absorb the low frequencies there you'd need to refer to the lambda/4 rule which means 1.7m thick porous absorption material on a wall to fully absorb energy at 50Hz
reducing the low frequency reverberation time in the corners is MUCH more efficient and just using the common 'wall control' filter thingys on the speakers to adjust for the low frequency exaggeration instead the way to go
>>
>>62038366

It's normal man, finger drumming is a skill in itself. PRACTICE NIGGA PRACTICE
>>
>>62038923
>to really absorb the low frequencies

i just want to impact the potential phasing issues causes by the reverb

surely some amount/width of foam in correct multiples will create positive effects?
>>
File: Flying Lotus.jpg (54 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Flying Lotus.jpg
54 KB, 630x420
>>62038928
>tfw cant play the drum set for shit but excellent at finger drumming on ableton push
protip: set latency really low when recording these.
>>
>>62038968
yes, as I said: material thickness of 1/4 of the wavelength will absorb that frequency
so don't bother, just use 10-20cm or what ever you can fit
>>
>>62039006
10-20cm of basotect foam?

or just any foam?

or just anything that insulating?
>>
>>62038320
>500 bucks for a reverb plugin

What the fuck. Why not just use any convolver plugin and use free impulse responses from the internet?
>>
>>62039104
a higher absorption coefficient will help with reducing lower frequencies, of course
so:
high density mineral wool > basotect >> polyurethane and whatever else shit foam
>>
>>62039167
is this mineral wool gunna get in my lungs like fibreglass or asbestos?
>>
>>62039142
because of the included responses, these are recorded and prepared in a way that makes them really stand out
of course you can get similar results with other things and a bit of tweaking, but the quality of right out of the box altiverb makes it attractive for a lot of people. especially when working with multichannel formats it's amazing since all the impulses are recorded with a shitload of different microphone positions you can use to create surround reverbs
>>
>>62039208
it's not as bad, but luckily there are lots of DIY absorber instructions on the web that show you how to seal it correctly so it's safe
>>
>>62038627
You'd like to have mental illness?
>>
>>62025128
literally a bloated pos microbrute with a launchpad so small u probably can only use it with ur pindick penix
>>
>>62039316
im 12 and wat is this

>>62039254
so... yes...? is your answer? because im not subjecting my wifey to anything dangerous so i can make some beats

probably head down the builders yard at some point and see if they have anything fitting
>>
Granular synthesis > FM synthesis > subtractive synthesis > additive synthesis
>>
>>62039338
mental illness
noun
a condition which causes serious disorder in a person's behaviour or thinking
>>
>>62039367
sin wave > triangle wave > noise wave > sawtooth wave > square wave
>>
>>62039397
are you equating smoking to mental illness or something?

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>62039408
Square waves are GOAT though.
>>
>>62039454
sawtooth is best desu

>not making reeses woith sawtooth
>>
>>62027317
this is really cool
>>
>>62039442
>are you equating smoking to mental illness or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder#Drugs

>Correlations of mental disorders with drug use include cannabis,[39] alcohol[44] and caffeine.[45] For psychosis and schizophrenia, usage of a number of drugs has been associated with development of the disorder, including cannabis, cocaine, and amphetamines.[46] For bipolar disorder, stress (such as childhood adversity) is not a specific cause, but does place genetically and biologically vulnerable individuals at risk for a more severe course of illness.[47] There has been debate regarding the relationship between usage of cannabis and bipolar disorder.[48]
>>
>>62039520
lol

stay queer anon
>>
>>62039678
Be nice to people in a psych ward.
>>
>>62039408
Noise isn't a wave, unless you mean like looped noise samples on a ESQ 1. Also square/pulse is the best wave.
>>
>>62039780
What the hell is it if it isn't a wave, smart guy?
>>
>>62039805
noise is a random fluctuation in an electrical signal
>>
>>62039732
be nice to those cocks your anus

also cannabis is treatment for a host of ailments and can be used or abused the same way opiates and painkillers are. its up to the individual to respect themselves and their bodies.

but no dw better exist in absolutes and wikipedia references LOL grow up candyass
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZHM-KRmLs

How do i play more than one sound at the same time on these pads like he does in the video?
>>
>>62039896
Its still a wave though right
>>
>>62039945
no, it's basically the opposite: completely random instead of periodic
>>
>>62039994
no its every wave at once and that's still a wave just a very long one
>>
>>62040007
that definition would mean the wavelength is not 'a very long one' but infinite, which is pointless
it's random
>>
>>62040078
No it isn't infinite because the period of the wave is the lowest common multiple of all constituent wavelengths.
>>
Can anybody give me a good source for the latest omnisphere version? Cracked of that is.

Cant afford those 399€.
>>
>>62040189
cool, since infinite frequencies are contributing to it guess what that number is
>>
Finally I have the money to buy a MIDI controller. This would be my first music intrsument (came late into the game...), so I need help.

I've had my eye on the Launchkey for a while. A used MK1 costs on my country $210, but I may get lucky and be able to import a MK2 for $250. Both would be the 61 versions of it. My questions are:

1. Does it help much to have 61 keys? Because if I'm going to need them eventually, I'd rather have them now than buy a little controller and upgrade.
2. How many keys do performers typically use? I'm talking about pop/rock/electronic tradition rather than classical/Jazz.
3. Since 250 is my price limit, are there other MIDI controllers than can rival the capacity of the MK1/MK2? Consider that I'll be using Ableton.
4. Am I gonna be missing out if I end up getting the MK1? The differences with the newer model don't seem to amount to much other than RGB-colored pads (which I wonder how much help?)

Thanks...
>>
>>62040255
You can get the Ableton Push MK1 for just a little over 250$ i guess. I got mine recently for 270€. I think it's pretty, especially as it's made for Ableton. I guess the MK2 would be even better, but it's a hell of a lot more expensive.
That said, i don't really have any comparison to other controllers like the Launchkey. I used a KORG Electribe before.
>>
>>62040239
You only need to count the LCM of the audible ones because all the ones people can't hear don't actually make a perceptible difference.
>>
>>62040500
so you're talking about filtered noise
>>
>>62038987
>flylo with a aphex t shirt
pretty cool desu senpai
>>
>>62033747
yeah man it's hard to beat a Nord, but that Korg has great ergonomics and looks the part too. i seems like it's programmable to just about the same level as a Nord but you gotta use the software app to go into that kind of detail which might be a little off-putting. still, would kill chinese babies to have one
>>
>>62040553
No, just regular- people can only hear 20,000 frequencies.
>>
how to sound like teebs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpxNJJeqEp0
>>
>>62036643
you missed the point m8. it was an exercise in understanding, specifically, all the parameters of a reverb. "real" reverb isn't nearly as aesthetically pleasing, for music, as reverb generators. this is why altiverb concentrates on all the other ways to manipulate the reverb rather than just relying on a raw IR. now, if you're doing ADR/matching location ambience or something you really have to know this stuff. in a music mix fake reverbs (even if they're set to sound like an existing space) sound more appealing than the actual reverb does.

now if you're recording in a 500yr old historic concert hall, you won't be able to get away with adding too much rich swirly fake reverb, because people will shit kittens because of muh authenticity. but anyway, yes anon, I know.
>>
>>62040692
>hearing is quantized in 1Hz steps
kek
>>
>>62040800
>not using mono midi headphones
>>
File: MITQqJi.png (227 KB, 793x736) Image search: [Google]
MITQqJi.png
227 KB, 793x736
>>62040915

>Paying an absurd amount of money for uncomfortable headphones that only emit one signal at a time
>>
I recently got the Mackie CR4 and i find they're lacking in bass just a bit. Is it okay to eq some lows in or is it better to leave them as they are?
>>
i got air xpand2 and sonivox twist with a midi controller and they both suck ass

tfw people actually buy these softwares for $99 each

whats wrong with fags
>>
>>62041307
you'll only push the little 4" drivers into distortion, which is no big deal for listening purposes if you like it that way but won't make for any more accurate monitoring in the bass
>>
>>62041307
Get 8" monitors, you've outgrown the mackies.
>>
>>62041928
They're my first pair of studio monitors ever and i still need to get used to them. Also i'm too poor to just get 8" monitors right now, but i'm definitely getting bigger and better ones if my wallet allows it.
>>
File: drum-rack-device chain.png (27 KB, 870x205) Image search: [Google]
drum-rack-device chain.png
27 KB, 870x205
>>62035990
>>62036888

You do it by changing the MIDI input note in the device chain - in pic related I changed the Simpler on the C#2 pad's input note to C2.

As soon as you do this you'll see that the pad that originally held one instance of Simpler now holds two and its label changes to "multi" - you'll also see that even though I changed the C#2 pad to C2 it's still showing as C#2 - that's because Ableton has moved both Simplers to the C2 pad and has created a new, empty, C#2 pad.
>>
>>62040323
>Ableton Push MK1
I considered this for a while, but I ended up figuring that I really do want a keyboard instead, so I'm gonna save it for later.
>>
>>62042052

Just to clarify here - the MIDI input note is in the "Receive" column in the device chain, the note sent to your device (C3 in this case) is in the "Play" column.
>>
>>62036678
why?
>>
>>62042052
racks are the best thing about live imo

theres a lot of crazy shit you can do with them
>>
>>62041307

If your speakers lack bass response and you add more with EQ you'll have a bass-heavy mix on neutral speakers and an even less-balanced sound on speakers with tweaked bass response.

Think of it in a visual sense - if you're wearing blackout glasses it doesn't mean that it's dark for everyone else, it's only your perception of light/dark that is unreliable due to the glasses.
>>
>>62040729
chill w/ flylo
>>
>>62041502
I despise xpand2. It all sounds so fucking awful.
>>
File: mashine.jpg (21 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
mashine.jpg
21 KB, 355x355
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between Native Instrument's Maschine and Ableton Push. I use Ableton for composing so the push controller would be nice for the integration, but I'm also a huge fan of Ni, I use the Komplete plug ins. I'd just like to see if anyone here has used both and what are the advantages and disadvantages to each?
>>
>>62043282
think of machine as a stand alone sampler

think of push as a control surface for ableton.

now which one would improve your current workflow?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.