[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Courtney Barnett? https://www.youtu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: CB.jpg (114 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
CB.jpg
114 KB, 1000x1000
What does /mu/ think of Courtney Barnett?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa1uup8n0OQ
>>
Her album was in my top 20 last year, so pretty good fambruh
>>
I like her and her slacker vibe.
>>
I cannot begin to describe the disdain I have for this sort of music. To be honest, if I focus really hard on the instruments, shut out the vocals and pretend that they were being sung by someone tolerable and with lyrics that aren’t embarrassing, I can potentially see why this isn’t bad. But the truth is that she is there, she is awful, she is unbearably moronic and she does ruin any little bits of skill that the drums or guitars bring in. After one of my friends declared Barnett his “new waifu” I decided to check this out, and after confronting him about this absolute nonsense, he made a comment along the likes of only enjoying it to impress girls at parties. This album is exactly the sort of think that those teenage girls who listen to “indie” as an image or a statement would lap up. They’ll talk about the bad vocals as “dylan-esque”, and will break into singing quotes from the frankly embarrassing lyrics whenever they can, because they’re SO ME XD, snapping up lines like “I want to wash out my head with turpentine cyanide” as if they’re extremely meaningful poetry. And jesus, I haven’t even mentioned the accent. If there was ever a convincing case for a nuke heading right to the middle of Australia’s eastern coast, this is it. An album filled with nonsense psuedo-meaningful ‘indie’ lyricism, complete with an image you’d expect one of those Sundance films advertised as indie (but actually aren’t), mostly forgettable instrumentation and songwriting, and one of the worst voices you’ve ever heard. Is there anything worse?
>>
>>61997756
my mum listens to her, that says about as much as you need to know
>>
I'm surprised the first two posts are praising her, seeing what's been posted about her previously.

Personally I dig her, her lyrics are neat and Sometimes I Sit And Think was a great record. Not AOTY, but still pretty solid.
>>
>>61997877
wasted dubs on such shit pasta
>>
>>61997944
wasted dubs on such a shit reply
>>
>>61997962
hiyooo
>>
>>61997756
I'm incredibly underwhelmed and unimpressed by her lackluster songwriting that expired in 1993.
>>
>>61997756
I feel like I was already familiar with that style of songwriting and delivery prior to listening to her so I didn't really enjoy it that much. I didn't think what she was doing with either was interesting.

I've only heard three or four songs though so I can't say she's shit or anything.
>>
saw her live twice last year. really nice, talented, and full of energy. her band is really cool too, hope 2016 is a good year for all of them.
>>
her album was fantastic, Depreston was the soty for me last year
>>
>>61997756
Top 10 last year for me.
>>
>>61998410
Fantastic song.
>>
Out of all of the RSH songs she could cover, she covered fucking Shivers, the one song that he himself was sick to death of people hearing about.
>>
>>61998498
talking about*
>>
File: CBarnett.jpg (148 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
CBarnett.jpg
148 KB, 620x620
>>61997756
fantastic. Great album. Usually not that into female singers but CB and TOPS really hit the spot
>>
>>61997756
Bland as fuck "indie"
>>
>>61997756

I dont get the appeal

>muh observations

so what, the music is boring
>>
>>61997756
Her voice is so like straight? Like bob Dylan but not as good
>>
I like the fact that she doesn't take her own music too seriously.
She makes really fun music and it works for me.
Sometimes I Sit and Think was a really good album.
>>
>>61998274
>talented, and full of energy
Both objectively wrong. She has no talent and her whole shtick is being a low energy slacker. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
I normally hate Triple J core. In fact, after listening to it I didn't really find it all that impressive or unique. For some reason it just clicked though an I was listening to the album all the time.

Should've closed out the album 2bh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-TDyc83g3o
>>
I like her a lot. Her debut album was pretty good and had quite a few great songs on it. Elevator Operator and Depreston are the best songs on the album. She seems good live too and I like the video in the OP.
>>
She looks like Deakin to me
>>
>>62001611
>Objectively
Holy shit fuck off
>>
>>61997756
Personally I think shes Western Australia's worst premier in 50 years
>>
Thinking about going down to the oxo for a couple of schooies, anyone want to meetup and discuss our hottest 100 selections?
>>
>>62002696
m8 I'll be there in a bit can you chuck a cheeky tenner on the trots for me?
>>
>>62002696
Can we discuss the criket?
>>
who /gong/ here?
>>
>>61997877
Same
>>
>>61997756
anyone else want to fuck her face?
>>
I love her stuff, so subtly Australian. I find her stuff so original. Depreston and Kim's Caravan are my favourite tracks on the album. She's amazing live.
>>
nuke australia
>>
>>62002757
Ah fuck it's Monday
>>
>>62002900
yes.
>>
I didn't mind the sea of split peas double EP.
"Sometimes I Sit..." Is definitely the worst record I heard last year. Her voice is so fucking annoying and tedious, the songwriting is terrible, the instrumentation is boring (I'm a fan of lo-fi and all but this shit is just garbage) and I hate her fucking lyrics. People LITERALLY only like her cos she's "doin it for the grrrrls".

Utterly detest this woman and her awful music.
>>
>>62000000
>>
>>61997756
hurr durr slacker indie

one of the worst of 2015
>>
>>61997877
>but King gizzard are from there too
>why nuke
I agree though thank god tame impalap beat her at the arias or that's all well see
>>
I liked her at first but her gimmick wore off real fast and now I can't stand it.
>>
>>61997756
I liked the first half of her album, the other half was kinda forgettable for me.
>>
>>61997756
I love her and need more
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.