[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/s thoughts on Grizzly Bear?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
/mu/s thoughts on Grizzly Bear?
>>
>>61992051
Boring hipster indie folk
>>
Much better than the indie garbage they get compared to
>>
yellow house is good
>>
Ready, Able tho
>>
>>61992051
Love 'em
>>
New album when?
>>
ex-gf core
>>
daniel rossen is a boss
>>
>>61992051
Sad remnant of p4k-hyped late 2000s indie pop
>>
File: grizzly bear - yellow house.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
grizzly bear - yellow house.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
>>61992067
never listened to them because of the bad image they have, I imagined them to sound like a mixture of Mumford & Sons and Fleet Foxes, but then I listened to Yellow House and got a great psych/prog folk album. Their more recent stuff turned out to be more accessible but still far from the generic indie folk they always get compared to
>>
>>61992051
They were recommended to me in the same bracket as Devendra Banhart and Fleet Foxes. So far bar Two Weeks they are incredibly boring.
>>
>>61992340
Could you describe how they came to have a bad image? Because I agree with your assessment completely, but when I mentioned them in a thread, I got a ton of comments like these: >>61992259
>>61992067
also ones talking about their "whiteness" WTF does that have to do with music?
>>
Saw them play outdoors. Was fun to watch even if they were far away. Then the ranger came and told us to fuck off cuz it was too dangerous :(
>>
>>61992051
I think they are very good
>>
Yellow House has a couple really nice tracks.
>>
I bought one of their albums and have only listened to it once, it was really boring and I kind of wish I could get my money back now
>>
WOULD YOU ALWAYS
>>
Outdated
>>
yellow house is an amazing album, but the newer stuff can't stand up to it. to accessible/poppy for my tastes.
>>
YOOOOUUU CAAAAAAAN'T COOOOOOOME HOME AGAIN

I love that part
>>
Can anyone recommend me more music in the vein of Central and Remote? Particularly the climax with the psychedelic wordless vocals and swirling electronics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXtaVZPDE
>>
>>61992051
back in 2009 they were amazing. i think their scene pretty much died though and they are one of those nyc bands thats gotta fight to stay relevant atm. there was a huge expolsion between 2006-2008 in nyc bands and whats left is a lot of bullshit shallow bands
>>
so boring, so white
>>
Their guitarist is really good.
>>
>>61992831
it actually isn't that accessible/poppy, especially not Veckatimest. Shields is just a bit boring
>>
Forgotten p4k buzzband
>>
Pretty good band
>>
>>61993014
he really is.

i'd love a new department of eagles record or another solo ep/album.
>>
>>61993101
Me too. Silent Hour/Golden Mile was great.
>>
File: nigger giving thunmbs up.jpg (24 KB, 324x399) Image search: [Google]
nigger giving thunmbs up.jpg
24 KB, 324x399
late 2000s pitchfork-core is a death sentence on /mu/- dont bother asking about bands like these.

theyre pretty good. kind of like vampire weekend in how white they are, but better, at least by a bit. yellow house is 8/10 and their later stuff is okay pop. theyre for sure better than 95% of 'indie' bands, shame they get dragged into the same playlists as garbage like the lumineers. daniel rossen is too good for the band though.

i think mu hates them now because of their image, but back in the day when mu was white this band was quite liked.
>>
>>61993030
alright, 'hello reddit' may be overused a bit, but this deserves that phrase more than anything

late gb- not poppy - not accesible? aww? did you think theyre some super obscure hard to like band and the reality that theyre accesible and simple too hard to face?
>>
Some of the flourishes on Veckatimest are some of the best pop that's been written in the last decade.
>>
>>61993247
this guy gets it.
>>
>>61993203
But that's weird because late-200s p4k was championing bands like AnCo, St Vincent, LCD, TPoBPaH, Arcade Fire, Joanna Newsom, Beach House and Kanye amongst heaps of other /mu/ core types.

Grizzly Bear just get a tough ride around here...
>>
>>61993457
literally all of those artists you listed are memes and are hated by everyone but neo-mu.
>>
>>61993457
Also just reading through p4k's albums of the year lists for 2008-10 I really miss those days :((((
>>
>>61993488
Not really. They all feature fairly consistently in Chart Threads, and really, if the memes aren't what makes /mu/ then what does
>>
never listened to them, but montie likes them so theyre probably not very good
>>
I listened to Two Weeks back when they were getting popular and it made me want to fall asleep. I'm not sure I understand the appeal of these indie bands that sound bored and lethargic in all their music.
>>
>>61993740
>I listened to one of their songs one time so I know their entire musical repertoire and it's awful why do people like an objectively terrible band, /mu/? why is life not fair, /mu/?
>>
>>61993203
>but back in the day when mu was white
this
hype shifted genres and these guys got left behind
same thing happened with anco although chz was definitely another nail in the coffin
there's a reason vampire weekend isn't discussed much despite winning aoty 2013
>>
I liked them alot in high school.

They're okay. Started off with great potential but much like their peers like dirty projectors they basically went trendy and for thus have been forgotten at this point. They're still probably better than 99% of "indie" bands of their time. Shame most of their fanbase now is tumblr tards trying to look cool by listening to their worst album, veckatimest.

Ed's a complete attention whore though, I really hate him.
>>
>>61993827
Hey man, I just shared my admittedly limited opinion on their one single that was popular. You seem to be upset to a degree that is more severe than that opinion would warrant. I would recommend you not take things that are not personal so personal in the future.
>>
>>61993884
>Hey, bro. I just wanted to share my admittedly uninformed opinions like a 4th grader bullshitting a book report for a book he hasn't read. Don't take it personal...

Did you read all the posts in this thread talking about how good Yellow House is? My guess is no.
>>
>>61994035
I still feel as though you are far more upset than this situation warrants.
>>
>>61994081
Well if having an oversensitive, spastic asshole in their fanbase doesn't convince you to listen to them, I don't know what will...
>>
Hey retards

>Accessibility =/= boring
>>
>>61992340
That album is really great, Colorado is probably one of my favorite songs
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.