[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buckethead Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: cover.jpg (1 MB, 1650x1650) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1 MB, 1650x1650
I've been listening to Buckethead and related projects all day. So damn good. Any other fans here? I know his heyday was like mid-2000s.
>>
File: cover.jpg (120 KB, 319x334) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
120 KB, 319x334
This one is fast becoming a favorite of mine.
>>
>>61990020

I enjoy his work.

I mean, I enjoyed it A LOT more when I was in middle school, but he has a handful of albums that still stand up today.

His work with Bill Laswell is great. Population Override is a masterpiece, Thanatopsis & Dragons of Eden are essential listening. Much of his 1998-2010 output is hit or miss, and I couldn't possibly care any less about the Pikes series, but I still respect him as an artist.
>>
>>61990223
Yeah, I think middle school is an appropriate time to listen to him. I've known of him and heard his music for years but it's only been in the past 18 months or so that I've taken a serious interest in his music. The Pike series intrigues me, although I've only listened to a selection of it. I agree with you about Population Override, that album's a doozy.
>>
>>61990386

He's popping up on /mu/ more and more lately. I think a lot of neo-/mu/tants have probably followed his stuff since Guitar Hero, and oldfags are getting curious and actually giving him the time of day.

I was working on a Buckethead flowchart, having known a lot about his music since I was a kid, but it proved too daunting. I really should take another crack at it.
>>
What songs/albums are similar to the song whitewash? i like more chilled out shredding that isnt too boring
>>
>>61990570
Yeah, that would be a hell of an undertaking. I'm not too surprised to hear that there are more /mu/tants listening to Buckethead, I see Dragons of Eden posted in sharethreads every now and again.
>>
>>61990611

That's off Colma, and the whole album is like that.
Particularly Big Sur Moon, which is exactly what you're looking for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Une4E6rKAYA&list=PLFunXG7b4t9Tn72727QD_VywXQcgCcc7_
>>
File: cover.jpg (2 MB, 1581x1581) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2 MB, 1581x1581
>>61990611
Listen to Crumple Part 2 from Crumple
>>
I feel like listening to all the pikes is a hollow accomplishment. What's the point?
>>
I like his ambient stuff
>>
As for the Pike series, I've listened to many of them and while I'm a bit tired of the shred parts, some show a really different side.

I recommend:

Pike #175 - Quilted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3xGfwVPVk
No guitar wankery, just very atmospheric, calm and soothing. Hard to describe, but it hits a weak spot in me.

Pike #220 - Mirror Realms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFEZcVFbUos
The first track sounds so plain and simple, but it's nothing but beautiful. The acoustic guitar is a neat addition here.

Pike #13 - untitled(?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvLSChEP-rY
The only pike with him on the cover without a mask. Again a relatively calm pike, but it has a certain hauting atmosphere, it just seems even more heartfelt and honest than all other pikes. Just listen for a few minutes and you'll know what I mean.
>>
>>61990819

Well, if they were all good, it'd be worth it. But upwards of 90% of them are mindless noodling. Like Bucket couldn't so much as pick up a guitar without pressing "record".

There's a few that are quite good, but even those aren't groundbreaking.
>>
File: 1444186858154.jpg (355 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1444186858154.jpg
355 KB, 1000x750
those pikes are on sale for 2 dollaroos right now. i bought a couple. i think the slower acoustic stuff is relaxing.
>>
File: 20160124_162913.jpg (308 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
20160124_162913.jpg
308 KB, 1200x900
Assorted CD's. Some of these were among the first physical albums I ever collected.
>>
File: 20160124_163058.jpg (309 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
20160124_163058.jpg
309 KB, 1200x900
And my crown jewel.
>>
BUCKETHEADS A PSYCHO
BUCKETHEADS A PSYCHO
HE'S A TOTAL PSYCHO
Damn, itso been a while since I've listened to buckethead
>>
>>61991129
That vinyl is stunning, I've listened to the rip of it from What.cd and it sounds great. The bonus material is also super dank.

>>61991059
Yeah, he seems to do these sales pretty regularly. I might buy some myself.
>>
File: milk2.png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
milk2.png
2 MB, 1280x720
which one of you is kendall?
>>
>>61990819
>>61990990
I don't agree with this anon's assesment of the pikes hit-rate but it is a hollow accomplishment, like he says. I've listened to 30 pikes and have bought another 20 that are in my backlog. Some are great, some are shit, some are weird, some are alright.
I recommend using this tool called Pike Suggester to sample around 5 minutes of the pikes that interest you to see if they're worth your time, it's what I used. Google "Decino Pike Suggester" and you should find it.

For what that's worth my favourite pikes are Hold Me Forever, Forgotten Library, The Miskatonic Scale and Assignment 033-03
>>
best pike is is pike 65, he wrote it for his mom when she died and its amazing.
>>
>>61991619
I like Celery a lot.
>>
Has he done any interviews recently? He's become a reclusive hermet of late.
>>
>>61992057

He hasn't made a public appearance since 2012. I know lost both his parents within like six months of each other, he is most likely out of it for a while.
>>
>>61991619
I really enjoyed Pike 13, which was a tribute to his dead dad
>>
>>61991619
>>61992153
>>61992189
Too many feels...

decino DOT nl/?p=pike-suggester
>>
>>61992189
No. Pike 13 was for his dad while he was still alive. This was the one for his dad when he died
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=800bYnIJsG8
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.