[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
I don't understand
>>
File: 1448767898141.jpg (8 KB, 250x197) Image search: [Google]
1448767898141.jpg
8 KB, 250x197
Neither do I
>>
Rapgenius
>>
good. you're not mentally ill.
>>
>le oppression
>le funny accent

Niggers gonna nig. Nothing to understand, nothing worth understanding. Leave this junk to the normies
>>
fucking racist
>>
File: 1439313777683.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3102) Image search: [Google]
1439313777683.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3102
thats cuz you're a pleb. it's okay m8, we all were at some point. here's a good place to start
>>
>>61967928
>trying to make OP more of a pleb
>>
Me neither, after listening it fully several times, i still don't understand the praise it got
>>
>>61967892
Hello Reddit
>>
"I'M THE MOST OVERRATED ALBUM OF 2015."

Seriously, it is. It's a 5-6/10 AT MOST. The inconsistent production and uninspiring melodies are hidden under a veil of "deeper meaning." While the album does HAVE a meaning, it doesn't have a very impressive or through provoking one. Kendrick, much like Eminem, has arsenals of technical skill to bank, but a plethora of technicality will always mean nothing if the music is boring.
The album peaks twice on "How Much A Dollar Cost" and "Complexion," two melodically interesting tracks that come with a well articulated message, unlike on tracks like "The Blacker The Berry" or "Alright", where Kendrick decides to forget any kind of nuance, throwing any sort of pacing to the wind, essentially spitting his message into your face.
It's as if he doesn't want to be taken seriously. The best albums will always have an even distribution of emotions. On To Pimp A Butterfly, Kendrick in constant bombards the listener in loud and obnoxious snarls his message. Because of this, the scope of his message loses any sort of resonance halfway through. On "Good Kid", Kendrick didn't have to scream in the hotel room to get his point across.
This albums main fault lies within how disjointed it feels. Constant climaxing aside, Putting a track like "Hood Politics" right next to "Momma" just sounds odd to me. For the style to be different, doesn't mean the production has to completely turn in on itself. It's just annoying.
I was and still am extremely disappointed by this release. I'm even more annoyed that everyone and their dog seems to love it.
>>
You have to be black to get it.
>>
>>61969509
I understand but disagree with your point that the production is inconsistent, because the shifting mood (especially after For Sale? where Lucy coaxes him into signing a contract) is what carries this album's narrative. But after listening to this album a lot, I would absolutely call the lyrics nuanced. Take this line from Alright for instance:
>let me tell you 'bout my life / painkillers only put me in the twilight
this one line puts the entire song in a different context. its placement after u leads to the understanding that this song is about what temporarily distracts him from his internal conflict/misery (as in a twilight state). that places the hook on its head, in its obvious anti-police message, showing that his (and furthermore the entire black communities') anger toward the institution of police is a refraction of his anger toward himself that he tries to suppress through hedonistic pleasures ("pretty pussy and benjamin.") that's really a universal message and its resolution in i is brilliant because it shows that self-hate and us vs them mentalities can only be fixed by understanding one's identity and accepting it. TPAB has nuance in the same way that a good play does. of course screaming in a hotel room isn't "subtle", but its implications to the narrative (such as the stark contrast with alright and i) and even its brutal imagery (his pregnant sister, the hospital visit) are what make it fascinating/captivating to me.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.