[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
did people hate on Bowie back in the 70s? call him a fag, make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Mick_Rock-David_Bowie.jpg (114 KB, 745x1024) Image search: [Google]
Mick_Rock-David_Bowie.jpg
114 KB, 745x1024
did people hate on Bowie back in the 70s?
call him a fag, make fun of him, call his music shit and pop garbage, etc.

I was thinking about all the people who h8 on pop stars like Lady Gaga today, and make fun of the way she dresses. Bowie was similarly obscene, as well as having homosexual overtones back in his day.

if so, at what point did he become accepted as "classic rock" i.e. dadrock.

>side note, shout out to all the lower class American middle aged manly-men who make fun of youth for wearing skinny jeans and call them fags, while listening to Alice Cooper and shit
>>
>>61878101

Yes. Nobody had seen anything like Ziggy Stardust ever before. It evoked homosexuality but went beyond it and was alien tot he point that it was neither gay or straight. It was brand new and blew people's minds and made many people uncomfortable. My mom said she was afraid of him, thought of him as a kind of Marylin Manson of his day (she's a fan now.) I remember seeing in some documentary that some other band based their whole ad campaign around "Not just a pretty face" in reference to Bowie.
>>
Well yeah people make fun of weirdos, but people also made fun of the beatles.
it was mostly the older generation
>>
>>61878101
yeah

people tend to hate on and attack anyone representing nonstandard gender/sexuality shit

see /v/
>>
They probably thought he was a attention whore.

But since they didn't have internet nobody cared about their opinions.
>>
When I was 12 I asked my dad about David Bowie because I had just seen The Labyrinth in school. He said "that guys a fuckin wacko". That was all I knew about Bowie until I was 19 or so.
>>
My mother called him a pervert when I was young and put on a Bowie album (around age 14), probably because he was known to be bisexual, only I didn't know that then.

I became obsessed with his music and always remembered what she said, but never mentioned it or held it against her as she's from a different generation.

She came around to him when I was in my early 20s, probably becoming more open-minded. Now she loves a handful of his tunes and was genuinely sad about his death.

>I was thinking about all the people who h8 on pop stars like Lady Gaga today
The difference is, Bowie was talented, though.
I couldn't care less how she dresses -- she should just write some better songs. It's all a distraction from the callow, banal nature of her music.
Seriously, calling your song/album 'Artpop' does not make it artpop.
>>
>>61881047
Lady Gaga wrote some god-tier pop songs. get outta here with that shit opinion.
>>
>>61881089
How pleb can one man be?

Lady Gaga is a destitute man's Madonna. Listen to her for some well-written pop tunes.
>>
>>61881089
maybe 7 years ago.
>>
>>61881089
this

The Fame Monster is literally better than anything by Bowie
>>
>>61881089
maybe in 2008, but bowie was constantly reinventing himself, and working with eno and fripp
>>
No but I did
>>
>>61881185
do you guys even try anymore? i haven't seen quality bait in a long time..
>>
I got my ass kicked on a daily basis in the fourth grade for being a fan of glitter rock, especially Alice Cooper, David Bowie, and Elton John. After that, not only did I get my ass kicked on a regular basis for liking The Sex Pistols, I got thrown in the SPED class and rode the short bus in the 7th and 8th grade because of it.

Now all this music is considered "Dad Rock".

Stay strong, all you Fame Monsters out there.
(And fuck the haters! Not only is Lady Gaga talented, she's got what it takes to share the stage with a legend like Tony Bennett. Madonna only wishes she had half the talent, and/or humor)
>>
>>61882895
>Madonna only wishes she had half the talent
Jesus, Millennials are so pathetic.
>>
File: 1443809861962.gif (3 MB, 322x178) Image search: [Google]
1443809861962.gif
3 MB, 322x178
>>61881185
>>
>>61883634
>was in school before Alice Cooper, David Bowie, or Elton John were considered dadrock
>assumes he's a millennial anyway because he doesn't like Overratedonna

Jesus, "le wrong generation" kids are so pathetic.
>>
bowie was the first one to do it and his music was better, bowie was walking around like a gay alien when people would litttrlly kill you for it.
Ladyagoogaa just gets told how brave and great she is
>>
>>61878101
by thousand of parents yeah
>>
>>61881226
>and working with eno and fripp

so was everybody else. you couldn't take a shit in the 80s without brian eno wanting to turn it into an experimental album
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.