[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drummers of /mu/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: kLVZXz2[1].jpg (330 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
kLVZXz2[1].jpg
330 KB, 900x1200
Why does drum tuning seem so difficult? People always tell me I shouldn't have to dampen my drums at all if I tune them correctly, but I've never been able to achieve a satisfactory sound without dampening my drum heads with moongel or duct tape.
>>
>>61868129

jazz drummers won't want to dampen, whereas more rock will usually dampen.

some drums will naturally sound nice, others will sound terrible no matter what you do.

you just have to mess with it until you find the sound you are looking for.
>>
>>61868129
>Why does drum tuning seem so difficult
it is
>>
in the movie whiplash when he asks the piano player to play a note why does that help tune the drum?
>>
>>61868129
They're right, if you get the drumheads to a certain tension ratio between the top and bottom accounting for the pitch and shell depth, you can get the drum to either sustain for a long time or be really dry and short.

Of course, no one has the time to do that and a lot of very famous drum sounds use muffling heavily anyway.
>>
>>61868450

cuz your drums can be tuned to proper notes.

i have never done it tho
>>
>>61868129

nice kick and hh pedals btw
>>
>>61868483
I have, it's a bitch. Especially the bass drum, tuning that to C# and making it sound good was a nightmare.
The snare is also hard to get right because you have to decide if you want the drum to be in tune when the snares are on or off. Just putting the snares on creates enough tension to make the drum go out of tune by a semitone.
>>
>tfw wanna get a drum kit
>so fucking expensive
how do I get myself a decent budget drum kit and cymbals?
>>
>>61868694
just buy all the individual parts second hand
start with a basic snare, tom, hi-hat, bass and add more stuff to it overtime
this is how I've doing it for the past 3 years and now my drumkit is pretty decent
>>
>>61868694
Drums don't really matter. The things you want to spend your money on are heads and cymbals. The drum shell acts only as an amplifier of the drumhead sound, so if the head sounds like crap it will all sound crap.

When picking cymbals start with the hihat, then pick a ride that goes with the the hihat sonically.
>>
Don't be afraid to experiment with tuning, it'll take hours/days to get them to sound how you want them to sound, don't be afraid to detune the heads completely and keep retuning them until you get the idea of it. In my experience the bass drum is the hardest drum to tune, especially if your looking for that heartbeat type sound. Have fun and walk away once it gets too frustrating!
>>
I used to have a lot of problems tuning, but after a few years of fairly regular head changes it's kind of gone away. These days I just kind of ballpark my toms and kick, and really only focus on making sure that both heads are playing the same pitch. It's mostly a matter of practice.
>>
>>61868129
>>61868483
>>61868593
It helps to use a tension watch. I don't know what mine are tuned to, but they're in tune with each other and not just themselves, and it's because I used a tension watch
>>
>>61868694
honestly just check your local craigslist. Chances are you'll be able to get a decent set with cymbals for relatively cheap
>>
tuning drums is heaps harder than tuning any other instrument. There are ways of tuning drums so that tension isn't evenly distributed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2JgVdHQdw
it actually works too, which is the mind blowing part. Though I don't think its optimal for drum head longevity.

In my experience you need good shells if you want a good sound without dampening. I think its more about having a perfect bearing edge than anything, and the right ratio between reso and batter head tightness
>>
>>61870077
is this one good:

http://amzn.com/B006DRT44C
>>
I'm both a piano technician and a drummer of 15+ years

and I can verify that tuning a piano and getting a drum set into a good unmuffled tuned sound are equally difficult. you need a better ear for the drum set, and it takes more trial and error.
I think there should definitely be a market for professional drum tuners, just as there is for piano tuners
>>
>>61870414
That's exactly the one I have. Just make sure you take the time to do it properly and consistently and you'll be golden
>>
>>61870631
lets make love
>>
isnt drum tuning mostly subjective you fucking retards
>>
>>61871594
A-anon

>>61871661
We're talking about tuning drums, not the tuning of the drums. I know the difference is subtle but don't let it frustrate you.
>>
>>61871831
hello there! i'd like to inform you that you have officially made the highest quality post in /mu/'s history!

please fill out this form to receive your free helium tank bundled with copy of purity ring's latest LP!

average shitpost quality (1-5):
gay nigger rape amount:

thank you! enjoy the remainder of your /mu/ experience!
>>
>>61871958
Oh no, you let it frustrate you.

But thank you for staying on topic.
>>
>>61871958
>age:
>gender:
genderfluid transdeopressive demiasexual
>average shitpost quality (1-5):
>gay nigger rape amount:
i hate niggers
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.