[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I get my opinions from the internet" General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1080
>I don't listen to country but like Townes Van Zandt
>>
He is more than just another country musician.
>>
Townes Van Zandt opened my mind to country music.
>>
>I'm right and you're wrong
>>
Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs is my favorite country album
>>
>>61840242
>Sun Ra is my favourite jazz composer
>>
>>61840242
>i like sufjan stevens
>i like death grips
>i like kendrick lamar
>>
I think country is too associated with pop country acts
>>
>>61840242

>Only women musicians i like are from korea
>>
File: 1447935307784.jpg (70 KB, 425x312) Image search: [Google]
1447935307784.jpg
70 KB, 425x312
>>
>>61840242
Everyone gets their opinion from somewhere, fucking fool.
Also, the "I don't listen to country music" phrase is almost exclusively made in reference to contempory country music. Which no one likes, because it's objectively terrible.
>>
>Lil Ugly Mane is good
>>
>>61840333
>Everyone gets their opinion from somewhere

speak for yourself idiot
>>
>>61840319
and only if their genre on rym is art pop
>>
>>61840333
>Everyone gets their opinion from somewhere
>"I get my opinions from the internet"
>>
>>61840333
I've tried more than once to turn people I know onto country music (be it old-time music, western swing, honky tonk, progressive country, etc) and most of them discard all of it.
>>
>>61840242
>kanye west is good
>>
>>61840380
do you know more sad fuck progressive country in the same vein as mickey newbury
>>
>>61840253

He's great but has become a tool for hipsters to fill their eclectic taste quota since the hivemind has deemed it cool to like him

>>61840274

This is a good reply, it just seems everyone I've talked to still disregard all other country even after pretending to like TVZ (like >>61840380 said)
>>
>>61840409
Most country's sad in one way or another. This list helped me branch into that specific style though.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/MK_/like_the_music_of_townes_van_zandt__try_these_albums_/
>>
>>61840253
Only in the sense than say Bob Dylan is more than just another folk music or Miles Davis is more than just another jazz musician. Yes, he is in a way, but he's not really different enough from the rest to make a big deal out of it. The only reason he's special, really, is because of the quality of his output.
>>
>>61840466
word thanks dude
>>
Honestly though, the really popular TVZ stuff is folk more than what most people associate with country. And even worse is that people associate pop "country" with country music.
>>
File: 1353176242851.jpg (426 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1353176242851.jpg
426 KB, 1024x768
>says they like country
>they don't like bluegrass
>>
Of course its silly that so many people dismiss an entire genre like country, but Townes has always been more rooted in folk than country to begin with so he's not really that great of an example.
>>
>>61840540
>>61840650

True. The people the OP is directed at don't make that distinction, though
>>
>>61840650
I'd take exception to that, honestly. It's more accurate to say that there is (or was) a blurred line between what's considered folk and country.

Or to put it another way, there's more documented incidents of Woody Guthrie calling himself a country and/or western singer than Hank Williams calling himself one,
>>
>>61840466
OK list desu
no Kris Kristofferson - s/t (1970) tho
>>
>>61840878
[spoiler]scroll down[/spoiler]
>>
>>61840697
>It's more accurate to say that there is (or was) a blurred line between what's considered folk and country.

I'd agree that there was, and there obviously is a traceable lineage, but by the time Townes started making music they had already diverged by a good bit and his work seemed to still lie more on the folk side IMO.
>>
>>61841007
j
>>
>>61841020
k?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.