[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>West mixed "Stronger" seventy-five times, as he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 4L_7TnI4Ewm.jpg (48 KB, 400x292) Image search: [Google]
4L_7TnI4Ewm.jpg
48 KB, 400x292
>West mixed "Stronger" seventy-five times, as he could not seem to get the kick drum to sound precisely the way that he wanted it to, amongst other issues.[11] Still feeling dissatisfied after hearing number-one hit single inside a club played alongside Timbaland's 2007 single "The Way I Are", which at that time was his most favorite hip-hop beat, West decided to enlist the record producer to assist him in redoing the song's drum programming.[12][13]

>In the end, Manny Marroquin and Kanye West auditioned twelve different kick drums, going back to the original — which is a mix of three kick drums — shortly before completing the track.[8] The song's final arrangement in Pro Tools included over 100 layers.[8] This completed version of "Stronger" contains a master use of Edwin Birdsong's "Cola Bottle Baby."[4]

how fine is the line between genius and autism?
how can someone be so finnicky over something literally no one gives a second thought to
>>
>>61818966
No one gives a second thought to it because it's perfect.

You don't notice if your car drives you around, you notice when it breaks.
>>
>West mixed "Stronger" seventy-five times
And yet the King Crimson sample is still mixed in horribly and the entire song is clipped to hell.
>>
>>61818996
lol theres like max 10 variations of a kick drum sound, what the hell was he looking for?
>>
>>61819048
The perfect kick drum sound
>>
>>61819048
Layering kicks and snares and the like gives the sound much more 'umph' than just a single sound. The more kicks you layer, and the more different they sound, the more unique the kick becomes overall. It's like how they used the shot of a cannon along with other explosion sounds layered on one another for revolver gunshot sounds in Western movies.

I layer drum hits all the time with my music, and I'm not a professional producer like Kanye.
>>
>>61818966
But he would always know
>>
>>61819032
wrong song idiot
>>
>>61819147
basically this

if you've ever created something, you'll know that you scrutinize over every single minute detail
>>
Alot of geniuses are actually autistic
>>
>>61819032
How does it feel to be a fucking retard
>>
Have you tried making music? I hate everything if I don't make it exactly as intended
>>
As expected from a weeb
>>
>Puts a lot of effort into mixing small details
>Songs are still brickwalled and clipped to ridiculous levels
>>
>>61819214
>>61819146
come on 75 times for one stupid sound and he still wasnt happy with it? lmao
>>
>>61818966
Spoken like a true D student.
>>
>>61819466
I luled
>>
>>61819508
this
I can't get into MBDTF because the mixing is just horrible
>>
>>61818966

>>61818966

>how fine is the line between genius and autism?
>how can someone be so finnicky over something literally no one gives a second thought to

Literally every professional producer does shit like this, stop overrating him.
>>
File: InsideTrackMM_05.jpg (190 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
InsideTrackMM_05.jpg
190 KB, 700x525
this is why i try to do everything in three sessions. if i take more than a week to record something than i probably need to go back to the writing, or start over. if i didn't have any time constraints i'd probably end up like he did.
plus the kinda of automation they did on Stronger would fucking crash my shitty-ass laptop
>>
File: InsideTrackMM_02.jpg (173 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
InsideTrackMM_02.jpg
173 KB, 700x525
>>61820054
source on the protools screenshots-
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/articles/insidetrack_1207.htm
>What set Marroquin’s approach apart from the other mixers’ was his decision to put the Daft Punk sample in the foreground. However, this presented him with particular problems. “The way Kanye ‘freaked’ the sample was one of the unique things about that song. He works by sampling a section, and then cutting it up and putting words and phrases and chord changes under different keyboard keys, in this case on the Ensoniq ASR10. He uses samples both as rhythm and melodic parts. The sample drives the song, but because he slightly slowed down the track, and also because of the way he chopped things up and played the notes, there were a lot of glitches. He tends to leave these glitches, because they’re such a pain for the engineer to fix. Since I wanted to feature the sample I had to get rid of the glitches, to make sure that they didn’t detract from the vocal. So I did drastic volume drops of just a few milliseconds on each glitch.
>>
>>61819973
Kanye makes other producers look like a bunch of jabronis
>>
File: 1452963973350.png (292 KB, 540x542) Image search: [Google]
1452963973350.png
292 KB, 540x542
>>61818966
A common saying among music producers and engineers is : "mixing is never done, you just abandon it at some point".

If you think in terms of autism or genius here you have no fucking clue of what you're talking about. Visit any /prod/ thread and you'll see people dealing with that very same issue of letting it go.
>>
>>61819973
Not when it comes to hip hop producers
>>
>>61819508
>>61819855
>not knowing the difference between mixing and mastering
stay pleb
>>
>>61820432
>>61820559

Kanye is just a soul sampler producer. The other real good shit on his album production was made by other producers like No I.D., Mike Dean, Timbaland, Jon Brion and Jeff Bhasker.
>>
pleb question here, does producer mean they made the beat? so kanye doesn't make all the beats on his albums?
>>
>>61821233
>>61821233

>>61821233

>pleb question here, does producer mean they made the beat?
most of them, today literally plug a Keyboard and use a DAW, most FL Studio and make a beat with a piano roll and VST plugins
>so kanye doesn't make all the beats on his albums

No, hes a just a co-producer/executive producer most of the albums.
Most of time he choose the beat and make more versions of it add things with his producing team, most known Mike Dean and Jeff Bhasker.
>>
>>61821330
>>61821233

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduation_(album)#Track_listing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeezus#Track_listing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy#Track_listing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/808s_%26_Heartbreak#Track_listing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Registration#Track_listing
>>
>>61821233
Kanye doesn't always make his beats, though he does it a lot. Devil In A New Dress is my favorite Kanye song but he didn't make the beat.
>>
>>61819032
Kanye haters everyone
>>
>>61821233
>>61821330
Take a look at kanyes production credits in his earlier work
>>
>>61819032
This is what happens when you livin in that 21st century, folks. Not one man should have all that power, that amount of access to display his autism on such a wide format we call the Internet.
>>
>>61820562
This, learned the difference in my first month of audio engineering in high school. Not that difficult of a concept lol
>>
>>61819048
There is way more than 10
>>
>>61819508
You realize that clipping is an aesthetic choice right? At Kanye's level the guy mastering his material is obviously going to know that it's clipping.
>>
>>61818966
Only music producers, well people who compose the song, really get why he would do this.
>>
>>61821611
in laymen terms?
>>
>>61822711
i'm a fucking retard but here's some explanation. missing some shit though
>mixing- getting all the instruments balanced in volume and stereo positioning, getting all the tone and eq perfect, and getting all the effects and volume changes perfect, etc.
>mastering- making that mixed track sound good on any speakers, and the same volume relative to the other tracks on the album
>>
>>61821465
You're fucking kidding. That's the best beat.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.