[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name modern pop stars that are as good as Paul McCartney, George
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: paulmccartney-662x400.png (257 KB, 662x400) Image search: [Google]
paulmccartney-662x400.png
257 KB, 662x400
Name modern pop stars that are as good as Paul McCartney, George Harrison, David Bowie, and Freddie Mercury.

You can't.
>>
What counts as "modern"?
>>
>>61803432
post-1700's
>>
>>61803432
Honestly 2000-2015 would be fine.
But they have to as big of names as the aforementioned.
>>
Grimes
>>
Kanye West
>>
>>61803495
>>61803496
>as good as the OP artists
How can you possibly say those are as good?
>>
>>61803382
No new artists in the time frame of "modern" have had the time to establish legacies like the greats you mentioned.
>>
>>61803521
Are you saying 15 years isn't long enough to release a good album? Fuck off, you're an idiot.
>>
>>61803516
I could name at least 50 Kanye songs that have incredible pop appeal and catchiness. They're fun, they're easy to get into, and they're almost infinitely replayable. I dare you to do the same for Mercury or Bowie.
>>
>>61803595
1. They lack in the quality of either artist.
2. HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU SAY BOWIE DOESN'T HAVE 50 GOAT SONGS
>>
>>61803612
That's definitely just your opinion. Tons of critics would disagree with you. Bowie does not have 50 GOAT songs. Period. Maybe 20.
>>
>>61803648
The entire Low album.
The entire Heroes album.
The entire Ziggy album.
The entire Hunky Dory album.
The entire Aladdin Sane album.
The entire Station to Station album.

Meanwhile Kanye has MAYBE MBDTF. Tops.
>>
>>61803382
>doesn't include brian wilson

l m a o what are you doing senpai
>>
>>61803670
No. You clearly haven't even listened to most of Kanye's discog if you think MBDTF is the only album with god pop songs. You don't think tracks like Jesus Walks, Through the Wire, or Good Morning are good pop songs? That's plain stupid. Also, most of those albums have plenty of tracks that are forgettable if not even skip worthy.
>>
>>61803382
Max Martin is better than all of them
>>
>>61803719
Well there's no one who measures up to him, period.
>>61803720
I've listened to his entire discography.
The only album that's worthwhile is MBDTF.
>skipping David Bowie tracks
unironically kill yourself, teenager
>>
>>61803449
Madonna
>>
>>61803595
>>61803648
Is this b8

Fuck man you triggered me
>>
>>61803382
okay I know this one is real obscure, but Lauren Mayberry is pretty great, she's in this band called chvrches yes it's spelled with a v you guys!!!
>>
>>61803595
>I dare you to do the same for Mercury or Bowie.
I mean, I could, but why would I?
>>
>>61803758
Not even close.
>>61803766
shitposter
>>
>>61803745
>>61803762
>>61803771
Just because someone's dead doesn't elevate them to a god status. Stay closed minded, I really don't care, you're the ones missing out on interesting new music.
>>
>>61803808
I'm not even evaluating them on whether they're dead or not. I think Lou Reed's an overrated hack and John Cale is far better. Same with Led Zeppelin and tons of classic shit.

Grow up you fucking kid.
>>
>>61803774
>Not even close
nigga she's influenced nearly as many pop artists today as the Beatles did in their time.
>>
>>61803846
If only her music was good.
>>
>>61803745

not the anon you're replying to, not gonna insult you, but i think you should expand your horizons, friendo. i concede david bowie is one of the greats, but i'd say kanye is too. not just as a rapper, but as a producer/artist/musician. graduation, college dropout, and late registration aren't immaculate records, but there are a handful of gems on each. graduation probably has the most "pop" songs (good morning, champion, everything i am). and mbdtf is easily one of the greatest albums of the last decade. sonically near-perfect.
>>
>>61803862
that's subjective
>>
>>61803866
I've listened to the entire discography as I already said.
At the end of the day with every album save MBDTF and Yeezus Kanye is an incredibly safe artist, not doing anything really bold or different.

There's no one alive today doing what the classic artists I mentioned in OP did
>>
>>61803846
sorry, i'm gonna call bullshit on this. just because a lot of today's musicians make lazy generic synth pop doesn't establish a cause-and-effect relationship of influence going back to chvrches.
>>
>>61803382
the closest thing is probably Kanye.
Uyyyy
Things are different, that's for sure
>>
>>61803808
There IS so much new and interesting music

Kanye is absolutely not a part of that
>>
>>61803884

>There's no one alive today doing what the classic artists I mentioned in OP did

so how do you define "good"? scale of appeal? innovation?

also, i would contest that lyrically/subject-matter-wise, college dropout was definitely different as a pop/hip-hop album in the early 2000s, and sonically, 808s and heartbreak, while probably my least favorite record of his, was a step outside of mainstream hip hop.
>>
why do people care about modern fake paul?
>>
>>61803595
Name 1 song by Kanye that doesn't steal other people's music.
>>
>>61804008
I just want to feel like the artist really put their all into something.
I get that from Joe the Lion and New Career but I don't get that from All of the Lights. Just doesn't sound bold, doesn't sound creative.
>>
>>61803884
How did Bowie do anything bold or different?
>>
>>61804086
In pop music?
Are you an idiot?
>>
>>61804042

are you referring to his copious use of samples? also, since when is "stealing other people's xyz" a disqualification from being good

also, no matter what song i pick, you could probably find a song that sounds somewhat similar to it, in tone or structure or production—which you could do for pretty much any artist, without veering into harsh electronic shit.

but here, what about "runaway"?
>>
>>61803449
will.i.am
kanye west
dj khaled
>>
>>61804098
>but here, what about "runaway"?
go on, explain what's special about Runaway.
>>
There aren't really that are both extremely popular and also good. The top 40 pop industry has found its blueprint for a hit song and very rarely will something not made for the lowest common denominator break into that. And if it's not played on top 40 stations it's basically obscure these days, and at least probably won't fit OP's criteria.
>>
>>61804082

hm, true, i also don't get that from all of the lights. i get it more from runaway, though. but at the end of the day, you're not gonna get that sense of immediacy and genuineness you get from, say, the vocals on "golden slumbers." if that's the criterion/the kind of thing you're looking for, then i can see why kanye isn't your cup of tea
>>
>>61804097
good reason
>>
>>61803919
good job. you made me chuckle. do you feel good about yourself now?
>>
>>61804201

>do you feel good about yourself now?

he asked, mustering all the condescension he could in his bitter little heart
>>
>>61804131

it's special to me :3
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.