[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: terrible covers of great songs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 1536x873) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 1536x873
Pic related: http://youtu.be/HFWKJ2FUiAQ

Does absolutely no justice to one of the best songs of all time, the arrangement and her vocals are just fucking awful. Frusciante did the only good cover of this, all the rest were just terrible copies of TMC's version.
>>
I don't dislike it as much as you seem to, but I do think that's one of the weakest covers that This Mortal Coil did.
>>
>>61772468
agreed, and normally i adore TMC and cocteau twins
>>
>>61772468
It's pretty weak, but then again, Tim Buckley's 1970 version is just a weaker version of the acoustic 1968 one he did

At least it's not as bad as Fond Affections where they just copied the song but made it a little less abrasive

Kangaroo is the only great song on that album
>>
By the way, does anyone else have the lyrics for the entire original version tattooed on them or is it just me?
>>
>>61773080
The album version was so so so much better imo. His live version was great too though. I just really love starsailor
>>
>>61773142
I used to feel that way, but I think I just prefer the clarity and simplicity of the song in the live one

That said, Starsailor, like several of his other albums is fucking amazing and one of the best from that period
>>
>>61773080
Fond Affections would be better if they would have gotten rid of that stupid fucking "swoosh" noise through the whole thing. I still like the vocals on it though.
>>
>>61773185
Starsailor and happy sad are my two favorite albums, and Tim is my favorite artist. I guess I'm a little biased when it comes to covers of his music haha.
>>
Oh yeah, they also covered I Must Have Been Blind. It's not outright awful, but it's pretty much pointless and doesn't add anything to the original.

I can't bitch too much, though. TMC introduced me to Tim Buckley, as well as Gene Clark, Big Star, etc.
>>
>>61772468
A whole lot of plens in this thread. TMC's cover of Song to the Siren is really great and touching.
>>
>>61773707
But that would make you the pleb, considering it's the more popular version and in fact, the way many people both in the 80's and now, discover Tim Buckley. A lot of people don't even realize that song is a cover, it's hugely popular while Tim is not.
>>
>>61773746
>>61773707
>not discovering him through frank zappa
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.