[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's this big misconception that David Bowie was somehow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: david bowie.jpg (36 KB, 470x305) Image search: [Google]
david bowie.jpg
36 KB, 470x305
There's this big misconception that David Bowie was somehow some huge icon that stayed at the top of the musical world for 50 years.

He wasn't. He stopped being relevant in any artistic sense by 1983, and had dropped out of commercial relevance by 1990. He just had a pretty sizable cult who made noise every time he released an album afterwards, but none of them were very good or recognized by anyone outside of his established fan base.
>>
spoken like a true american
>>
>>61751710
Damn. I bet u like some real patrician music bud
>>
>implying heathen, outisde, and hours aren't god tier
>>
>>61751755
you're the worst tripfag on /mu/
>>
>>61751710
0/10 pasta
>>
This is true. Heathen and Outside are good but everything else basically sucked by the early 80s until TND which was decent but uninteresting.

Blackstar was tight with it's nostalgic use of classic instruments and a perfect final bowie album, but even then it's not better than 90% of his works between Hunky Dory and Let's Dance.
>>
>>61751710
how do you explain the fact that everyone and their mom went nuts when he died

come on anon
even if he stop being relevant in the mid-80's, he still fucking did Ziggy Stardust man.
>>
>>61751710
Stop it, we're in the middle of a circlejerk here
>>
>>61751797
I try to be
>>
>>61751736
TRUE AMERICAN
TRUE AMERICAN
SHE WANTS THE TRUE AMERICAN
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL NIGHT
>>
>>61751860
that berlin trilogy tho
everything else is trash
>>
>>61751710
stop
>>61751797
Am I cool
>>
>>61751952
you're literally a "literally who?"
>>
he was trying to tell us something with all the alien space stuff, it's in almost all of his work

maybe he was a legit alien
>>
>>61751710
You guys are really reaching now aren't you? Just admit he was fucking loved the world over and move on, bro. No-one gives a shit about your little 'war' on British stars. Just jealous yanks can't accept the Brits always do it better. Wow, you sound really quite upset!
>>
>>61751860
PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHO THE FUCK THIS IS
>>
>>61751755
>>61751952
OP here. I'd just like to inform you guys that I was one of the biggest tripcode users on /mu/ under two different aliases between 2011 and 2012. The tripcode lifestyle brings nothing but pain and suffering in the long run and you should really evaluate your reasons for using a tripcode and consider stopping. I as well as dozens of my friends have found an immediate increase in quality of life after ceasing tripcode usage.
>>
>>61752025
But I've tripped since 2013 :'(
>>61752077
Antz?

Also I do it because I used to use my trip for Bandcamp/Soundcloud threads, but I forgot to take it off one day and it stuck.
>>
>>61752077
yeah that fad was stupid as fuck, what a joke

i don't blame you for buying into the tripfag hype though, the celebrity status was enticing but not looking like a faggot was preferable
>>
>>61751860

Did you take this picture before you started balding, you aussie fag?
>>
>>61751710
Like any other artists, no artists stays relevant forever and if you don't agree your too young too have yet seen a relevant star Decline in to cult status
>>
>>61752077
Tripping since 2008.
>>
>>61752072
David Bowie
>>
The noise from a few years ago was pretty sizable because it was the first time he released anything in 8 years. The noise from Blackstar right before his death was sizable because it suggested both critical and commercial success.
>>
>>61752077
hey antz i missed you
>>
people are just pretending to care because he died

this is how normies work. its like when some slut no one gave a fuck about kills herself and all of a sudden it's "boo hoo what a tragedy ;((" from everyone who glanced at her in the hallway so they don't look bad

this is how people are. they're phony///
>>
>>61751710
Nobody ever said he was relevant for the entirety of his career. He certainly was an icon and a household name because of what he did in the 70s however.

Also, blackstar will be remembered as a classic 50 years down the line. I don't know if his 70s work will.
>>
>>61752758
holden plz

I know you're the only real person around but can you keep it to yourself
>>
>>61752827
Most of the "normies" I've met seem to know him for his 80s work, actually.
>>
>>61752097
the trip community was dead by mid 2012, youre nothing

but my generation has long since deceased, so by 2016 i'm even more irrelevant than you are
>>
>>61753245
Let's Dance, Tonight, and Never Let Me Down are by far his best selling works.
>>
You're kinda right, but not many artists did as well in their peak decade as Bowie did. It's easy to be like "lol no good albums after 1980 fuckin overrated retard" in 2016, but people will be saying the same about great 2000-2010's artists in the next few decades.
>>
>>61753466
Let's Dance is his best selling work I believe, but Tonight and Never Let Me Down didn't chart as well as some of his 70s stuff. Keep in mind this is off the top of my head and I'm not looking up the numbers so I could be wrong.
>>
I think his material stayed solid throughout. But yeah, anyone who thinks Bowie was worth anything commercially after Let's Dance is just deluded.
>>
He was only relevant in the UK, too.
>>
>>61751710

Bowie went through periods where his albums lacked critical acclaim. But whereas other rock artists started to suck because they kept repeating ideas, Bowie at least had the balls to always do something different with each album.
>>
>>61752758

This might come as a shock to you, but most people ("normies" in your parlance) are actually capable of caring about more than one thing, they don't wholly fixate on one topic for their entire existence. They're not "phony", they're multifaceted, there are many things that are, or have been, meaningful to them throughout their lives.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.