[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: under-appreciated albums
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 608x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 608x608
Still bingeing on his discography, knew I'd have to give this a go at some point

This album made me happy. It's just a happy album. Pretty well produced too, with cool musicianship. I would probably listen to this again.
>>
I'm a fan of 80's Bowie and feel it's unfairly maligned. Never Let Me Down in particular is a pretty punchy album. Tonight can be viewed as a nice b-side for Let's Dance, which is a killer album.
>>
Essential Bowie track coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQxTWDLZ8o
>>
>>61731249
punchy album as punches you in the balls and spits on you
>>
>>61731249
I haven't listened to it yet but I always thought of tonight as the album that was supposed to have like a kid a/amnesiac relationship with let's dance, based on what I've heard about it
>>
File: image.jpg (778 KB, 1500x1487) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
778 KB, 1500x1487
Very underappreciated imho.
>>
>>61731301

It's not as bad as haters make out anyway. The singles are some of his classics and I always had it on side b of a c90 cassette with Let's Dance on the other.
>>
>>61731182
young Bowie is cute! CUTE!

[spoiler];_;[/spoiler]
>>
>>61731182
Wait, why are his eyes normal in this picture? Did they digitally alter it?
>>
>>61731371
Literally was just wondering the same thing
>>
>>61731249
Very much agree, Tonight and Never Let Me Down are fine albums, way to much unnecessary hate.
>>
>>61731371
Probably they shot it in a low light room to make the working pupil even to the other one, which is permanently dilated.
>>
Comment un pédé pareil peut-il croire que je pourrais avoir envie de le voir ?
>>
>>61731542
I have a 28% in French class
>>
>>61731542
Hello?
>>
>>61731542
hmmmmm
>>
File: 512cNn+vEzL.jpg (52 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
512cNn+vEzL.jpg
52 KB, 500x499
underrated as fuck desu
>>
File: DS.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
DS.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
also this
>>
>>61731726
Is this really underappreciated? It's one of my all-time favorites and is quintessential Knopfler, pretty damn impressive for a debut.
>>
File: 1971 - Islands.jpg (69 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1971 - Islands.jpg
69 KB, 640x640
Easy to see why it gets overlooked, but I've always liked this and Lizard as well.
>>
>>61731804
I'm literally the only person I've ever seen say anything about it on /mu/. It's also ranked about 2,300 overall on RYM which is terribly low for such an incredible album
>>
>>61731854
>going by /mu/ standards
>ever
I honestly don't see Knopfler or Dire Straits discussed here at all, really. Maybe a few times but very rarely. Do you like his later stuff as well? Shangri-La is great.
>>
File: 81-10cc-sheet-music.jpg (527 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
81-10cc-sheet-music.jpg
527 KB, 1200x1200
best art pop album ever
>>
>>61731900
but still I'd say overall it seems pretty under appreciated, apart from sultans of swing of course.
dire straits early period is incredibly underrated.

desu I just downloaded his full solo discography like last week, haven't gotten round to listening to it yet.
>>
>>61731809
FORMENTERA LADYYYYy
SING A SONG FOR MEeee
>>
>>61731963
You really should. I think Knopfler is one of the few rock greats whose work hasn't suffered as they've gotten older. Shangri-La is at the top of the list for me. Also, his guitar playing is much improved as well. The tone'll make your balls drop.

Early DS is great, though. Knopfler in general in underrated.
>>
>>61731999
nice trips

Knopfler is severely underrated. Without even listening to his solo work, I honestly rate him as the best guitarist ever. There's no one else who can make a guitar sound so good like it's being played by god. Telegraph Road has the best solo of all time. He's also very original, maybe a little JJ Cale sounding, but overall he's a pretty original mix of rock, folk, blues and country with a very unique guitar sound.
>>
>>61732161
It's really more of a Carl Perkins influence than JJ Cale. Perkins was his hero. They even made an album together and played together often, having very similar styles.

Knopfler is one of my favorites, for sure. You should check out Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac as well. Pre-drug freakout PG is an out of this world guitarist.

Anyway, I'm going to plug Shangri-La one last time. He plays material from the album amazingly well live, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6DulNSD9Uw
It's a song about Elvis, obviously. One of my favorites.
>>
>>61732280
Sorry, I meant Chet Atkins, not Carl Perkins. Not sure why I got those mixed up.
>>
>>61732280
I just put this song on (Back to Tupelo) the album version, I swear it sounds just like Iron Hand.

Yeah, I've listened to some early Fleetwood as well. Albatross is a classic.
>>
>>61731696
My rock band I had in high school used to cover "Dancing Madly Backwards"
>>
>>61732363
Albatross is an amazing piece of work. Check this one out, my favorite blues tune of theirs. Gotta run, good talking to you anon and keep listening to the greats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ARJuTLtLtY
>>
I was planning to dig through his discog after listening to Blackstar last sunday. I'd been putting it off for a long time. I'm very reluctant to do it now because I don't want to be one of those people that only start liking someone because they died. There's nothing worse than being associated with those people.
>>
>>61731182
"Uncle Arthur" is a good one. Reminds me of The Kinks.
>>
File: image.jpg (456 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
456 KB, 1300x1300
His best album
>>
>>61732395
PG is great but imo Mick Taylor was the greatest electric blues player
>>
>>61731696
That takes me back, first found that album on /mu/ like seven years ago. Raging River of Fear is my favorite track if I remember the name of it right.
>>
>>61731249
>>61731280
>>61731343
>>61731455
>Very much agree, Tonight and Never Let Me Down are fine albums, way to much unnecessary hate.
I never heard these albums, but I'm curious to see if they're really as bad as people say - or if they're actually pretty good.

Do you really think they're great, or is it just /mu/ being contrarian and memeing as usual?
>>
>>61732433
i think it's a fairly good reason to start listening to his music. Why give a shit about what fags on /mu/ think. you'll be missing out big time
>>
>>61732623
Partly being contrarian. By virtue of being Bowie albums, they have their charms, but they also show how creatively bankrupt he was once he was removed from his main influences and wanted to please a wider audience.
>>
>>61732623

I think they're good. Disclaimer I heard them in the 80s when they came out and liked them then. They sound like 80s albums, but I love 80s music.
>>
File: d1.png (262 KB, 304x298) Image search: [Google]
d1.png
262 KB, 304x298
>>61731726

>mfw I've only listened to Brothers in Arms in their entire discography

Am I missing much?'
>>
File: tosirwithMikeLove.jpg (203 KB, 1170x1205) Image search: [Google]
tosirwithMikeLove.jpg
203 KB, 1170x1205
I think 20/20 isn't appreciated as much as it should be.
>>
>>61732433

The only person you're hurting is yourself. Turn your life around and get some Bowie in it while you can.
>>
File: swag (3).png (407 KB, 465x683) Image search: [Google]
swag (3).png
407 KB, 465x683
>>61732623

http://pitchfork.com/news/62869-spoons-britt-daniel-covers-david-bowies-never-let-me-down/

Let's Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down by far are Bowie's biggest selling albums (to date).
>>
>>61733377
yes - it's a little like only having heard Born in the USA from Springsteen's discography

Older Dire Straits has aged better IMHO than Brothers in Arms
>>
I've never seen anyone mention the fiery furnaces on /mu/ but this album is fucking great
>>
>>61731371

Record exec probably made them airbrush his wonky eye up.
>>
>>61734454
>I've never seen anyone mention the fiery furnaces on /mu/

ahahaha, first week?
>>
>>61734454

I'm a fan of Death Grips I wish they'd be discussed more often.
>>
>>61734493
OK maybe I should have said 'rarely ever'. It's still an underappreciated album
>>
>>
>>61731542
>Comment un pédé pareil peut-il croire que je pourrais avoir envie de le voir
vas te faire encule :/
>>
>>61734751
Only because it's sandwiched between Burzum and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss/Filosofem
>>
>>61732623
I actually just finished marathoning the entire David Bowie discography (except for the Tin Machines, I'll probably hear those one day) and honestly I find those 3 to be weakest in DB's discography. Sure they have their charms and quirks, being Bowie's albums and all but honestly they sound like Phil Collin's stuff.

Glad Bowie got his shit together in the 90s
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.