[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
re-evaluation of a work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Blackstar_album_cover.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Blackstar_album_cover.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
I think the events surrounding this album raise an interesting question about critical evaluation of a work. It was generally pretty well celebrated before his death, but only after he died was the real purpose of it seen. Should we take that into account when assessing the album? When it was reviewed, no one had any clue this was meant to be a final goodbye to his fans and world in a way that only Bowie could manage. I think it makes it a much more impressive work of art and something that hasn't been done before in music, but should the album be considered in isolation or not?
>>
File: Jdilla_donuts_altLPcover.jpg (29 KB, 352x349) Image search: [Google]
Jdilla_donuts_altLPcover.jpg
29 KB, 352x349
>something that hasn't been done before in music
When will this meme end?
>>
still not gonna listen to that shit
>>
>>61674997
yes, context is very important in art. this is such an easy answer.
>>
>art has meaning
>art is personal
>artists contribute to the meaning of their work
>meaning is valuable
if you agree with these then reevaluation is fine
>>
>>61675085
Making an album on your deathbed/=/making an album with your death in mind as the grand finale and twist
>>
>>61675085
except that Blackstar is actually good
>>
>>61675161
define "value"
>>
>>61674997
For me the album moved into 9.0 land from being an 8.4/5 (I think pitchfork got it right).
Looking back, I think a lot of people are now seeing a message behind this album and I think it's one of the best albums he has made.
>>
>>61674997
The album needs to be contextuallized as a dying man recording one last album for his grand finale. It's his thoughts and ruminations on facing the end.

It's as important to contextualize this as a man facing cancer and death as it is to contextualize Nirvana's MTV Unplugged or All Apologies as suicide performances. No one got it when they watched MTV Unplugged, but the funeral lillies, all the covers, the finale of Where Did You Sleep Last Night?...it was clear and has to be understood as that
>>
>>61675198
this, bowie had a plan A and a glorious bittersweet plan B, J dilla just made some good beats then died, fuck off dillafags
>>
This album shouldnt be considered in isolation.
>>
>>61675085
The ulterior motive and context behind Blackstar is massively different though
>>
not to take anything away from bowie, didn't johnny cash do the same thing?
>>
>>61675461
to my knowledge, Cash didn't know he was dying. He was just heartbroken without his wife.
>>
theres no reason to consider this album out of context. it was created for a specific purpose, and it should be judged based on that.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.