[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
they are the most important punk rock band of our generation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: Green_Day_5_400x400.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Green_Day_5_400x400.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
they are the most important punk rock band of our generation
>>
Not really punk, more like pop with punk influences.
>>
>>61674384
True, Green Day haven't recorded an actual punk song since their inception.
>>
Funny how they were on the verge of maturing with Warning but after it bombed they did a 180 degree turn
>>
>>61674369
Probably.
>>
>>61674420

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgp59BvWcPQ
>>
>>61674369
I don't consider this a good thing, nor a compliment to Green Day's quality as a band

They're more post-punk, really
>>
>>61674800
>Green Day
>Post punk

this is a new one
>>
>>61674384
And I wouldn't have them in any other way desu
>>
>>61674824
Yeah, shittily put on my part. I just have such an aversion to calling them "punk" because they're just not

>constantly bitching about "suburbia"
>whining about how hard it is to be teenager is the full extent of their social commentary
>compare Green Day to bands like The Clash, Minor Threat, Black Flag and try to bring yourself to call them "punk"
>>
>>61675318
exactly

they are hardcore punk desu senpai
>>
>>61674369
>Greenday
>important
pick one
>>
>>61674800
I really hope this is bait.
>>
>>61674369
Yes
>>
>>61674369
They're certainly far more enjoyable than most punk bands lmao
>>
>>61675318
I believe the term you're looking for is pop-punk
>>
I remember the first album I ever owned myself was American Idiot. Don't think I could sit through an album of theirs today though.
>>
Meh
>>
1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is a good album, up to warning they were fine imo
>>
>>61675318
i dont get why people are like this with green day (at least in terms of their old stuff). if someone refers to a band like social distortion or agent orange as punk no one really cares yet they are just as poppy
>>
>>61675992
It's pretty ridic.

Hell, 75% of Ramones discography is more pop punk than 39/Smooth, Insomniac, and Kerplunk yet people don't nitpick their music as "b-b-b-ut this isn't *real* punk"

Hell, Husker Du's last two albums sound like fucking pop punk and no one gives them shit.

Don't even get me started on "acceptable" bands like Pennywise who are basically Green Day with "edgier" lyrics who get a pass.
>>
>>61674369
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPem6_duMA
>>
>>61676118
>implying anyone should care what a member of a boy band thinks
>>
>>61675992
>social distortion or agent orange

SD is not punk. Agent Orange is pop punk. No one calls either of them punk because they're not punk. Green Day is not punk either.

>>61674369

this is what punk sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j9gB9Gkk_I

Disorder isn't "the most important punk band" but they are a punk band, so they're closer to being "the most important punk band" than a band that isn't punk.

But they aren't even the most important pop punk band. If "important" means "popular" then you're right, but if "important" means "influential" and "groundbreaking", then they aren't. If you want to hear a much more important pop punk band, here's Stiff Little Fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc9i2FRtRZc
>>
>>61676196
Ah, you're one of the "if it ain't hardcore then it ain't punk" faggots.

I bet you think Black Flag is basically Justin Bieber right
>>
>>61674369
>our generation
lol u old
>>
>>61674369
i mean probably
them or against me!
>>
>>61674369
define "our generation" OP

I'm 22 and I still think Green Day is out of my time.

I feel you would have to be 15-25 years old when an influential record comes out for it to be part of :your generation".

I consider Cloud Nothings and Ovlov more in line with my generation.
>>
>>61676196
ive definetly heard people refer to those bands as punk. my point was that people always seem to need to mention how not punk green day is when other bands get a pass. i mean shit. rancid is a really poppy band too but they are "punk" to most people.
>>
>>61676354
I'm 21 and American Idiot changed my life
>>
>>61674449
360 degree*
>>
>>61676231
You're kidding, right? Hardcore and punk are two different things. Do I need to link to Minor Threat on youtube?

I guess for me, punk stands between pop punk, which has some exoteric sense of place and position, and hardcore, which is dressed down, and politically revolted.
>>
>>61674369
Probably. They had a crazy impact on modern (pop) punk rock.
>>
>>61676415
Green Day make pop punk music, mainly, but to say as a whole they aren't punk at all - which it seems like everyone does - is complete retardedness imo. They are huge influences on today's pop punk and they, Rancid, and Offspring basically brought punk back into the mainstream. So yeah, you can call them commercialized but then again so were the Sex Pistols and everybody worships their cocks.
>>
>>61675899
+1. 1039 smooth, kerplunk, dookie and insomnic got me into playing the drums at a young age
>>
>>61676498
>Pop Punk
>commercialized
>Sex Pistols

You're absolutely right that the Sex Pistols were heavily commercialized, as were a lot of 70s punk bands. But "commercial" doesn't mean "pop".

What makes Green Day pop punk and Sex Pistols just regular punk is not about $, it's about song structure, intention, and audience.

Green Day is appealing to a much larger audience ("POPular") because their riffs are catchier, their hooks are hookier, their chorus lyrics are memorable and get stuck in your head. Sex Pistols were kinda catchy, but it's not like they were heavy on catchy melodies - they were barely melodic at all.

And, of course, the intended audience - Sex Pistols would have spit on most of Green Day's fans, if they saw them on the street. That doesn't make them cooler than Green Day, it means that they weren't interested in appealing to people - the opposite, usually. Their appeal, their draw, their method of increasing the number of punks in the world was by that rejection. Green Day does it by attraction.

One is not "real" and the other "fake". They're different genres of music.
>>
>>61674369
I would posit that Crass is the most important punk band.
And that there are no important punk bands of our generation.
>>
>>61676678
>there are no important punk bands of our generation.

not with that attitude!

...but i agree.
>>
>>61676665
>One is not "real" and the other "fake". They're different genres of music.
1. Most people think pop punk is fake
2. Punk is an umbrella, pop punk falls under it
>>
>>61676722
>1. Most people think pop punk is fake

Who gives a fuck what most people think. There are a great number of very wrong things that most people think. Are you worried about what those cool punk kids think about your favorite band?

What's interesting about that is that the idea that pop punk is fake actually adds to its appeal, rather than detracting from it: the people who like pop punk feel alienated by traditional punk (are you happy if I call it "traditional punk"?), so knowing that it's "fake" allows them to access it.

When Johnny Rotten spit in your face, he laughed with his friends about it. Billy Joe intentionally missed, and then winked at you when his friends weren't looking.

>2. Punk is an umbrella, pop punk falls under it

You can think of punk as a family if you want, but there is a kind of music called punk that would exist without the rest of the family members.
>>
>>61676968
>What's interesting about that is that the idea that pop punk is fake actually adds to its appeal, rather than detracting from it: the people who like pop punk feel alienated by traditional punk (are you happy if I call it "traditional punk"?), so knowing that it's "fake" allows them to access it.
>When Johnny Rotten spit in your face, he laughed with his friends about it. Billy Joe intentionally missed, and then winked at you when his friends weren't looking.
What drivel is this

>You can think of punk as a family if you want, but there is a kind of music called punk that would exist without the rest of the family members.

Yes, punk is an umbrella, and below it is punk rock, hardcore, post punk, pop punk, emo, melohxc, post hxc, screamo, crustpunk, metalcore, beatdown, etc etc

not hard to understand m8
>>
>>61674369
punk, pop, rock, whatever.. They're a great band.
>>
>>61677024
You're an idiot who doesn't read.
>>
>>61677169
Go fuck yourself :0)
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.