[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Musician Deaths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: michaeljackson.jpg (129 KB, 1200x915) Image search: [Google]
michaeljackson.jpg
129 KB, 1200x915
Real Talk, was the death of Michael Jackson the biggest worldwide mourning for a musician? Has anyone come close?
>>
David Bowie
>>
Elvis Presley
>>
>>61647602
Of course
>>
>>61647602
Elvis was probably bigger.
>>
>>61647602
no one will ever come close. if madonna died like right now then maybe, but she's probably gonna live to 100
>>
>>61647602
me
>>
Johnny cash and george harrison come close in my lifetime
>>
>>61647602
Possibly elvis or John Lennon, but likely Michael is the top
Bowie's gonna come close though.
His album's going to break all the records.
>>
Probably John Lennon
>>
Bob Dylan's death was a pretty big deal
>>
Cobain

people were literally killing themselves
>>
>>61647602
John Lennon was a big everyone, all the world was mourning him.

But yeah MJ's death shocked a big part of the world too.
>>
>>61647800
*faggots were literally killing themselves
>>
>>61647793
He'll be fine
>>
>>61647775
>Possibly elvis or John Lennon
This
>>
MJ is DEAD?! Curse your meme magic.
>>
Eminem is unfortunately going to probably shatter MJ, unrightfully.
>>
>>61648062
I doubt it, his demographic is relatively tiny. The kiddies will blow it out of proportion though.
>>
Like everyone else is saying, John Lennon and elvis mainly. Probably sinatra just by logic although I was extremely young so I don't remember it. To the people saying George Harrison, he was an amazing musician but let's be honest, he's the least popular of the Beatles. There's not a ton of metal heads here but lemmy hit basically every single metal head super hard. Even if you weren't super into motörhead, it fucking sucked because practically every metal band that didn't pioneer metal with motörhead was influenced by them or one of their biggest influences was influenced by lemmy.
>>
File: 1414970082884.jpg (35 KB, 795x480) Image search: [Google]
1414970082884.jpg
35 KB, 795x480
>>61647869
>>
Jackson for sure, also the most overhyped musican, fucker only had 2 good albums with Off The Wall and Thriller.
>>
I think MJ deserved the huge mourning. I can't really think of anyone else that does.

>>61647704
>>61647722
I doubt it. You think people in fucking Japan cared about Elvis?

>>61647775
No it won't lol. Blackstar won't even go diamond.
>>
>>61647602

I found out this dude died watching sportcentre kek
>>
Lennon was probably the biggest
>>
MJ also had the comeback and the polemic circumstances.
Paul McCartney is so old it's not gonna make that much of a show when it happens.
>>
>>61649125
>>61649125
I was at boy scout camp away from internet, and we all thought one of the leaders was trolling us hard.
>>
>>61647602
>wasn't alive when Elvis died

kill yourself, kid
>>
>>61648973
I dislike Bad's overwhelming embrace of 80s cliches, but there are a lot of fucking jams on that thing. Speed Demon. Another Part of Me. Leave Me Alone. The funk riff in Smooth Crimminal. The fact that he wrote nearly the whole album is also commendable. I think Dangerous had a lot of potential as well, and it really makes me wish there was some kind of Michael Jackson house record. Just listen to the chords in Can't Let Her Get Away.

Also, Michael is a performer first and foremost. Do you really think anyone getting radio play today can top his singing + dancing? The Weeknd can't even sing live very well standing still.
>>
MJ was the great uniter. There won't be another like him in 100 years.
>>
>Dies in the summer, I don't give a shit
>Come back to school September and everyone is fucking upset still
They were the same fucks making child molestation jokes too
>>
File: Michael_Jackson_Jam.jpg (33 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
Michael_Jackson_Jam.jpg
33 KB, 325x325
>>61649318
Jam was my shit
>>
MJ was bigger than Elvis but that's because internet. Bowie will be up there but not as big as those two. McCartney will be the big one, he'll get like a state funeral or something.
>>
>Elvis
>Lennon
>Cobain
>Jackson
Anyone else big that I'm missing? Freddie Mercury maybe?
>>
>>61649080
>I doubt it. You think people in fucking Japan cared about Elvis?
yes they do but not in generally
>>
>>61649080
Elvis was huge in Japan. Even bigger in the Philippines.

But not quite as big in China, where I guess MJ had an advantage.
>>
Elvis Presley's was the biggest of all time until John Lennon's topped it. Michael Jackson's was huge too but it still didn't quite compare. Kurt Cobain's is somewhere up there.

John Lennon's was too shocking to be topped.
>>
It happened literally hours ago and at a time when most of the people who would care are asleep or just waking up

It'll be BIG fucking news tomorrow
>>
>>61649318 (me)
And you seemed to disregard the fact that MJ fucking MADE the Jacksons' careers. His singing on their albums is impeccable.

>>61649357
Same thing at my school lol.
>>
This has potential to be by far the biggest

>literally just proved to everyone that he isn't an old irrelevant cunt, has tons of hype, then dies

Jackson, two days before he died, was an absolute fucking nobody who was the butt of billions of jokes. I literally grew up for 14 years of my life without even thinking Michael Jackson was anything other than a rapey cunt. Until he died, I had no idea anyone even unironically liked him.

Bowie has always been a legend, and is every bit as huge as Jackson in terms of popularity. This is far bigger.
>>
>>61649524
Generally is what I mean though. So no.
>>
LE FAHNNY HELL BE FINE MAYMAY
>>
>>61649679
>Bowie has always been a legend, and is every bit as huge as Jackson in terms of popularity. This is far bigger.
No, not even close. I'm definitely a bigger fan of Bowie, but I don't think you understand just how huge Michael Jackson was.
>>
>>61649228
When Sinatra died it was big news despite him being old and senile, I remember my TV Station having a helicopter at his estate just like they did with Jackson. It signified the end of an era as him and the Rat Pack took the world by storm.

If McCartney dies after Ringo similar sentiments will be felt as there will be no Beatles left.

Think about it, I can most certainly guarantee there will never be performers as popular as Sinatra, Beatles, or Jackson were. The digital era has really scattered music tastes (which is a good thing) but at the same time there won't be a shared common love people have for one song or album.
>>
>>61649679
You just had a twisted sheltered perception. Also there was tons of hype surrounding his this is it concert then he just dropped dead.
>>
>>61649679
You've gotta be joking mate. MJ was on the verge of starting a "tour" (a series of shows at the O2 Arena) that nearly grossed a billion dollars. Tickets sold out in seconds and press conferences for the shows were getting news coverage.
>>
>>61649679
David Bowie is not even close to being as much of a phenomenon as Michael. And imo I think Bowie is kinda washed up, but so was Jackson before he announced his last shows.
>>
>>61649679
>Bowie has always been a legend, and is every bit as huge as Jackson in terms of popularity. This is far bigger.
not trying to be mean, but i don't think you're old enough to understand the significance michael jackson had for a lot of people. it far surpasses bowie's.
>>
If Kanye West died within the next 30 days, his death would probably be bigger. Itd be amplified by bowie dying first and then his album coming out. Even if Bowie didn't die and he didn't have an album coming, his death alone would still be fucking huge.
>>
>>61649886
The album he put out a week ago was solid

>>61650020
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/686449257767776256
>>
>>61649679
We get it man, you were 15-18 when he died and didn't understand what he meant to the world outside of that one South Park episode.

You're totally, unequivocally wrong, by the way.
>>
>>61649507
Tupac's murder was pretty big news. I was a kid in Flores, Indonesia at the time, and it was actually news over there, in 1996. People knew who he was.
>>
MJ was known more for being an alien looking pedophile than his music, so in pure music terms Bowie is definitely bigger.
>>
>>61650121
you're showing your age here
>>
>>61650121
You're the same faggot that posted earlier, stop.
>>
>>61650121
YOUTH
>>
>>61650160
>>
>>61649679
Michael Jackson is the third highest selling artist ever, topped only by The Beatles and Elvis Presley. Not even Bing Crosby, who was the biggest artist of the first half of the 20th century was that big.

David Bowie is huge but Michael Jackson was a goliath.
>>
So is Black Star then going to be the new American IV?
>>
>>61647778
This.
>>
>>61647602
David Bowie's death will blow up more in the coming weeks. Michael Jacksons was more of a shock because he was an incredibly controversial figure in the media.
>>
richard simmons

we will miss him dearly
>>
>>61649080
>You think people in fucking Japan cared about Elvis?
Of course not. It's not like there are loads of people cosplaying in public as him every day.

Wait...
>>
>>61650020
Don't kid yourself. If Kanye died there'd be shock and conspiracy theories because it's weird when a young man dies out of nowhere. His death would be a media circus ala Kurt Cobain or 2Pac.

Kanye doesn't even have a quarter of the success Bowie had, and he's horribly alienated his fans for the last few years, only /mu/ likes Yeezus.
>>
>>61649886
>kind of washed up
Washed up implies you're a desperate celebrity doing anything to remain in the spotlight. He did anything but.
>>
>>61649578
Elvis and JL also died way too young, in their early 40s. Lemmy was like 70 so his death was not so surprising.
>>
Bowie is big, huge with the Brits maybe a bit less so here. It'll be a bigger story perhaps over there.
>>
>>61650296
Yeah I made a mistake, I should've named a far more remote country. Point is, MJ had fans imitating his dance moves in fucking 3rd world countries.
>>
>>61650221
>so close to trips
Simmons lives another day
>>
>>61650213
>Michael Jacksons was more of a shock because he was an incredibly controversial figure in the media.
of course this played a part, but it's far from the only, or even main, reason jackson's death was such a big deal. let's not forget that michael jackson was one of pop music's most recognizable figures for decades prior to the child abuse allegations. he wasn't known as the king of pop for nothing.
>>
>>61647800
yep they were. That was nuts. For me it's Cobain, Elvis, Jackson, Cash, and Mercury.
>>
>>61650448
>He wasn't known as the king of pop for nothing
Agreed. I also think it was because he was one of the first if not the first African American males to become so incredibly famous around the world.
>>
>>61649780
I think when Chuck Berry goes, it will also be seen as the end of an era.
>>
>>61650320
I think Kanye's name will be as prolific as Bowie's by the end of his career if it isn't already.
>>
>>61650328
Well I'm sure we can at least agree that Bowie was far past his prime.
>>
wayne static's death hit me hardest....
>>
Lennon and Bowie blow that kiddiediddling hack out of the water
>>
>>61650213
Or because he defined the 80s and helped define the 70s
>>
>>61650519
keep riding it kid. or keep trolling I don't know anymore.
>>
>>61650520
That doesn't mean he was washed up though. Many famous artists enjoy living the quiet life after decades of fame. He was one of them. I'd rather a celebrity live gracefully then do desperate pathetic things in an attempt to stay relevant.
>>
Kurt Cobain's death wasn't that big of a media story compared with MJ though. Back at the time most of the coverage consisted of baby boomer talking heads running him into the ground and calling him a junkie loser and "This is what kids idolize today." (like all your 60s heroes weren't junkies).
>>
Buddy Holly
>>
>>61650593
In 20 years he'll still have the same pathetic children that hate him for seemingly no reason because they eat up anything that the media tells them to.
>>61650619
Beatles, Stones, Sabbath were among the biggest in their respective genres and they were all on drugs at one point or another.
>>
>>61650628
seriously how did no one think of this
>>
>>61650165

Nope, that was my first post.

>butthurt wacko jacko marks
>>
>>61650593
Think about how popular he already is, he's been consistently critically and commercially acclaimed for a decade. He'll undoubtedly be a legend.
>>
>>61650628
"The day that music died".
>>
>>61650662
Probably for a good reason.
>>
File: Hey kids, I'm still cool right.jpg (213 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Hey kids, I'm still cool right.jpg
213 KB, 960x960
>>61650601
>That doesn't mean he was washed up though. Many famous artists enjoy living the quiet life after decades of fame. He was one of them. I'd rather a celebrity live gracefully then do desperate pathetic things in an attempt to stay relevant.
>>
>>61650672
if you actually think he was more known for his alleged sex abuse than his music, that only shows you're too young to have the necessary perspective on this. try talking about jackson with anyone other than your classmates and you'll see what i mean.
>>
>>61650745
Cool response. A reaction image that you've already used along with quoting my post word for word. Good argument.
>>
>>61650320
>only /mu/ likes Yeezus.

>released one song on friday
>entire music world went into yeezy season

You must be a stupid person.
>>
>>61650601
>>61650520
Well, you could argue that Johnny Cash was past his prime when he covered Hurt if you consider his prime to be the Ring of Fire days, but...
>>
>>61650619
It was still a spectacle though. He's right behind Michael, Lennon, and Elvis
>>
>>61650794
He was past his prime. Covering a song isn't desperate. Jesus Christ. Do people in here not know what washed up means? Look at any pathetic faggot on Celebrity Big Brother. That's washed up.
>>
In terms of biggest, it probably goes something like:

John Lennon
Elvis Presley
Michael Jackson
Frank Sinatra
Whitney Houston
Kurt Cobain
Tupac Shakur
Amy Winehouse
Bing Crosby

Orders can be rearranged to a degree and there are definitely others, but those are some of the biggest. Lennon, Presley and Jackson probably sit on a tier of their own.

>>61650342
The thing about John Lennon is nobody's came as more of a shock than his.
>>
Remember how Johnny Cash died the same day as John Ritter? lel my roommate and I got in a fight over who was the bigger deal.
>>
>>61650745
Too bad Grace Potter can't touch Merry Clayton; nobody could touch her. The Stones have had a lot of girls performing GS live with them over the years, but you were always able to notice Mick and Keith faintly shaking their heads and knowing none of them were the little black girl who came into the studio at 2:00 AM in her robe and hair curlers.
>>
>>61650888
Who did you say?
>>
>>61650601
But if he was really loving the quiet life he'd stop making albums. They got worse and worse. I think his style stagnated. He belongs in the 20th century imo
>>
>everyone in here saying "duur but MJ was only highly remembered because he was a controversial figure"

how fucking stupid can you get? this one man helped define DECADES of music, is one of the best selling artists of all time (and will continue to be years and years and years after his death), and had people in piss poor, 3rd world countries imitating him.

Bowie is huge, and will/should be remembered. But if you want to compare who's death is "bigger" in terms of outcry and remembrance, it's MJ's without even a second guess.
>>
My money is on Chuck Berry dying next, dude's 89
>>
>>61650888
I think John Ritter was desu
>>
>>61649357
>everyone is fucking upset still

Everyone at my school was making child molestation jokes. In fact, when he died one of the first things I got was a text in the morning from a m8 telling me he's going to be melted down into plastic toys so he could continue to be played with by little kids.
>>
>>61650845
>>61650794
It's subjective if you consider washed up meaning that you can't make relevant music anymore.
>>
>>61650845
Okay, I'm sorry. I was the first guy who mentioned washed-up. Change "washed-up" to "ehhh stop trying please".
>>
>>61650929
Like I said, Bowie is popular with Brits and music geeks. But LOLno he's not even faintly close to MJ for hugeness.
>>
lennon by far

the way he died, his legacy, etc
>>
>>61650929
I think it's just people who are too young and/or uneducated to understand just how insanely huge MJ was. All their big pop stars who they think are big today don't even come close to him.
>>
>>61650925
I said Cash, though in hindsight I'm not sure I agree with that anymore
>>
>>61650872
There were others that we forget about now. For example, when the opera singer Maria Callas died in the late-70's, it was huge global news for a while.
>>
>>61651032
I mean, he went to the White House and met the president for God's sake. Combine all movie stars from the last 50 years and all popular musicians/entertainers and each of them put together would not equal how huge MJ was in circa 1985.
>>
Looking back, George Harrison's death wasn't all that huge relative to Jackson
>>
File: 021494.19.jpg (36 KB, 364x550) Image search: [Google]
021494.19.jpg
36 KB, 364x550
what couldve been :(
>>
>>61650872
Where's GG Allin?
>>
>>61650888

>yfw you realize john ritter died on his daughters birthday
>>
>>61651163
Yeah it was surprisingly low key for a guy who was still fairly young (not yet 60 years old) and not expected by normal people to kick it.
>>
File: Chuck Berry 1.jpg (473 KB, 1000x1306) Image search: [Google]
Chuck Berry 1.jpg
473 KB, 1000x1306
>>61650932
Old dirty Chuck still tours senpai he will never die
>>
>>61651032
when i was in school in the 90s people would say their role model was micheal jackson all the time

he is probably one of the biggest ever in america
>>
>>61650872
>Bing Crosby

I never knew that his death was so huge. Of course I wasn't alive back then to remember, but he was in his 70s so that shouldn't have been too out-of-left-field, was it?
>>
>>61651032
not him but... that may be the problem, MJ was huge but it was due to being the influence behind mainstream acts. Bowie has also influenced tons of people but not your Madonna-esque pop artists, so it seems he wasn't as huge as MJ.

To be honest, MJ is overrated, he was huge but overrated. And Bowie, at least in my country, underrated
>>
Is there anyone whose death could be bigger than MJ, Elvis or someone like Princess Diana?
>>
>>61651240
In the WORLD dude. 750 million records sold.
>>
File: mca.jpg (68 KB, 615x462) Image search: [Google]
mca.jpg
68 KB, 615x462
Certainly not the biggest but a recent one that hit me in the feels was MCA :( RIP in peace
>>
>>61651308
Given society Justin Bieber could come close. Hate him all you want you won't stop hearing about it for weeks if it happened now
>>
File: 3095640.jpg (46 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
3095640.jpg
46 KB, 640x427
The top 3 biggest celebrity deaths in my lifetime were, in increasing order of magnitude:

3. Michael Jackson
2. Princess Diana
1. John Lennon

Lennon's death especially was fuckhuge, because he was one of the Beatles which was still the biggest band in the world at the time even though they'd been broken up for a decade. Huge crowds gathered all over the place and they played his solo and Beatle stuff on the radio non-stop for over a WEEK. Some fans committed suicide and Yoko Ono issued a statement asking people not to take it so hard. Commemorative books and magazines came out. Albums were reissued and vanished from the stores in seconds. Double Fantasy (which was an OK album) went #1 everywhere in the world except France, Italy and Japan and won 1980 Album of the Year at the grammys which is fucking insane. If similar things happen to Black Star it wouldn't surprise me a bit. I can't even imagine what /mu/ would have been like back then.

Diana's death was also huge but the hysteria didn't seem to last quite as long as with Lennon and Jackson. Michael Jackson's death was big too but not quite as big as Lennon.
>>
if MC Ride legitimately died, especially of a suicide, i guarantee you /mu/ would be frothing at the bit for fucking years. way more than bowie, MJ, elvis etc could ever hope to achieve in terms of posthumous fame...only on /mu/, of course
>>
>>61650872
Wendy O. Williams was a suicide but never got close to the same adulation as Cobain.
>>
>>61651308
Well yeah someone like a US president while they're in office

I get the feeling we're past the days of ridiculously famous music idols, though
>>
>>61651402
Whoops, that should be
3. Princess Diana
2. Michael Jackson
1. John Lennon

My bad.
>>
>>61651402
Diana wasn't a seminal music artist that defined an entire generation. In fact she did nothing except pretend to care about starving African people and bone some sand nig.
>>
>>61649578
Yeah Lennon was murdered at 40, that's a tragedy.

It's hard to top that so him and MJ get the top
>>
>>61651402
>in my lifetime
>John Lennon

Come on old man it's time to quit 4chan
>>
>>61651452
i think its because recording equipment / software is way more accessible to the average person now than it was before

there is kind of an over saturation of new music being put out
>>
>>61651493
and yet people still mourned like their own mother had died. Even foreigners, which always confuses me. There'll be a monumental shitstorm when the Queen dies.
>>
>>61651431
Ok but she hadn't been relevant for years and was a recluse when she died. Nirvana were just hitting their peak and were being trumpeted as the Beatles of the 90s when Kurt snuffed himself.
>>
I bet Bono would be a huge deal
>>
File: image.jpg (1015 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1015 KB, 1280x1920
>>61651296
Overrated can still be good, which I hope is your opinion. I cannot even begin to fathom why someone would dislike Off The Wall or Thriller. Bad & Dangerous had redeeming qualities as well (see >>61649318).
There are some good songs on HIStory too ("Stranger in Moscow", "Earth Song" despite its hokeyness).
Invincible had "Unbreakable" and "You Rock My World".
Hell, even a couple of throwaways that Sony released because of their greedy Jewish ways were good, like "Love Never Felt So Good" (I prefer the original demo, with just piano chords) and "Chicago".
>>
>>61651505
Yup. It's the fact that he was shot. It killed so many people's hopes of the Beatles getting back together again, which was one of the biggest subjects of speculation in those days.
>>
According to mum and dad

Princess Diana > John Lennon = Elvis Presley >>>>>>> Michael Jackson
>>
>>61651572
Whenever I hear about bono people always shit on him but maybe that's just me being biased by 4chan.
>>
>>61651526
You young whippersnappers and your intertubes.
>>
>>61651587
Lennon didn't seem to think it would happen, in fact he was baffled at why people still glorified the Beatles so much. He'd just totally moved on in his life.
>>
>>61651623
hes just annoying as fuck really

i remember people hating on him over 15 years ago
>>
>>61647602
MJ was the only musician death that made me cry. Before his death, I wasn't very fond of him and I always joked about him. But when he died I remembered what a big influence he had on me when I was a toddler, I used to take MJ cd's out of my mom's music shelf and play them at ridiculously loud volumes and just dance to them. The nostalgia plus MJ's sad life-story made me tear up and feel guilty when he died.

David Bowie's death will never come close to the hype surrounding MJ's death, younger people today don't even know who he is and have never even heard one of his songs. Everybody knew however who Michael Jackson was, because of his scandals, the jokes about him, or his classic songs that were still being played on the radio. MJ's fucked up family even milked his death and allowed his funeral to be streamed live all over the world and turned it into a huge show, while David Bowie's family prefers to keep it private. I remember the day after MJ's death, I was standing in a shop looking at the newspapers, and Michael was on every single one of them. Also on facebook, MJ has 70'000'000 more likes than David Bowie.

Not trying to bash Bowie in any way, his death hit me hard as well, but Bowie's death will never be as big as MJ's death.
>>
>>61651582
Unbreakable predicted dubstep in 2001. That's how far ahead of his time Jackson was.
>>
>>61651683
What do you mean? The beat sounds more like Pharrell/The Neptunes than dubstep.
>>
>>61651402

>Diana's death was also huge but the hysteria didn't seem to last quite as long

To this day there are articles in the Sun/Guardian that comment on her death and the 'conspiracy' surrounding it.
>>
>>61651534
Oversaturation and the fact that, with everything being instantly accessible, there's not that mysterious aura about artists anymore. That's kind of the thing which made them seem larger than life, which propels the idol status even more. Now you just follow their twitter account and read their everyday thoughts like they're your next door neighbor.
>>
>>61649679
you do realize that michael jackson was falsely accused by moneygrabbing whores, while david bowie actually fucked 12 year old groupies, right?
>>
>tfw American so don't give a fuck about Princess Diana or any conspiracy
>>
>>61651729
Those magazines are stuck in the 20th century. I saw one with Rock Hudson on the cover.
>>
>>61651765
that was actually a big thing here in usa
>>
>>61651537
>and yet people still mourned like their own mother had died. Even foreigners, which always confuses me.
There were enormous crowds of people openly weeping and leaving flowers in front of the British Embassy around here in the US. So weird. I mean I liked her too but damn.

>There'll be a monumental shitstorm when the Queen dies.
I am not looking forward to that at all. No, sir.
>>
>>61651737
MJ was on record as saying "Britney Spears won't last long because she doesn't understand the power of mystery."
>>
>>61651765
plenty of Americans do
>>
Jackie Kennedy's death was probably the closest America had to a Diana moment, although she died of natural causes.
>>
>>61651582
Not to mention some gems from his Jackson 5 days
>>
>>61651776
At least I don't still see Elvis conspiracy stuff at the supermarket.
>>
>>61651667
>David Bowie's death will never come close to the hype surrounding MJ's death, younger people today don't even know who he is and have never even heard one of his songs

I can't say I've ever actually listened to a Bowie song while everyone on the fucking planet has heard Thriller at least once.
>>
>>61651825
Yes, exactly. His life was a blessing to them and they [his siblings] fucked it all up by being dickheads.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Tour_(The_Jacksons_tour)
>>
>>61647602
>musician

peadophile.
>>
>>61651902
like bowie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable_Starr
>>
>>61651582
you are right, but "good' ... it is a matter of opinion; honestly, I only enjoy like 2 of his songs, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a huge artist
>>
>>61649080
This is bait children
>>
My parents lived in NYC and said people were openly weeping in the streets the night Lennon was shot. Nobody else got that except maybe JFK.
>>
>>61651539
>>61651431
Like shit. Wendy was never anything more than a trashy novelty act (lyl smash stuff on stage and perform topless so funneh XD)
>>
>>61651790
>>61651729
>Diana conspiracy
lel I remember that shit too. So stupid. She got in a car with a reckless speeding driver. Happens every day.
>>
>>61652003
THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO BELIEVE
>>
>>61651872
>I can't say I've ever actually listened to a Bowie song

What the fuck are you doing on a music board?
>>
>>61651987
There were people bawling hysterically on top of and around MJ's Hollywood walk of fame plaque the day he died.
>>
>>61651084
True, like I said, there are others. I meant to put Marvin Gaye in there somewhere but I forgot. He was huge news too.

>>61651431
Obviously. WOW's music didn't capture a generation like Kurt Cobain's did.

>>61651402
This. John Lennon's remains untouched for a few reasons. Unlike Elvis or MJ, John Lennon wasn't very far removed from much of his most legendary work, solo or Beatles. He was actually on the brink of a comeback of sorts, and not like the one Elvis had in the late 60s where he came back fat, sweaty, and seen largely as a relic by people whose vision wasn't clouded by 50s nostalgia. John Lennon was someone people desperately wanted to hear from again. To top it all off, John Lennon was an international icon and spokesman for world peace. All criticisms aside, that's what John Lennon was known as to millions of people, and he died in a grisly murder, which made his message that much more earnest when it happened.
>>
>>61651979
It wasn't, but I understand how it seemed that way. I wasn't alive when Lennon got shot so idk. And I should've named a more remote country than Japan; the point was that MJ had an impact on pop culture in every country in the world. 3rd world street-shitters and starvers were imitating his moves. And MJ was more popular in Eastern Asia than Elvis was anyway. 750 million records sold around the world.

And Blackstar won't break records, don't kid yourself. Maybe Bowie's own records. It won't go diamond.
>>
>>61651667
When MJ died I didn't give a shit, I was 15 but I was aware of his music. I still don't give a shit

But when I read that Bowie was death, man, I got depressed. I'm not even a fan of Bowie, but I feel more sympathy for his music compared to MJ
>>
File: bbye97_1_b[1].jpg (119 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bbye97_1_b[1].jpg
119 KB, 1000x1000
>>61651493
Diana had a connection to music, though - the Elton John tribute song after her death was the biggest-selling single of the entire 90's on a global basis.
>>
>>61651849
dude, yesterday I was reading bullshit about Elvis' death but nothing about Diana
>>
>>61647602
Never cared for that pedo tbqh. Bowie's death sucks though, still can't believe it.
>>
>>61652116
That actually pissed me off. That song belonged to Marilyn.
>>
>>61652093
What? Are you just saying you're being contrarian? You're "aware" of their music, but say you're not a fan of either artist. But there's still favoritism at play, clearly. Please listen to both of their music.
>>
>>61652151
Imagine if you could go to Vegas and see a bunch of Diana impersonators on the street kek
>>
>>61652157
See
>>61651937
>>
>>61650121
he used to give me recurring nightmares, anyone else know this feel ?
>>
>>61652086
>>And Blackstar won't break records
Maybe, maybe not. Like someone said above Double Fantasy was just OK but it went number one all over the place and won a grammy. I haven't heard it in a while but I remember enough to know that shit wasn't no grammy material.
>>
>>61652223
That didn't really address any of my points. I didn't say a Bowie album couldn't get on the charts or win Grammies. Blackstar just won't break records (besides maybe Bowie's own).
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1200x1602) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1200x1602
>>61652281
This one used to really fuck with me and still does
>>
>>61650872
Whitney Houston?
Who the fuck cared about Whitney Houston she was literally a one hit wonder.
>>
>>61652041
I'm gonna be honest. The last song I listened to was Foreigner Feels Like The First Time because there was a thread about 70s buttrock earlier tonight.
>>
>>61652350
Whitney Houston is one of the biggest artists of all time but her death wasn't that big
>>
File: image.jpg (799 KB, 1201x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
799 KB, 1201x1600
>>61652341
It really is a damn shame because he used to be a qt
>>
>>61652082
Vat? Elvis was still very much relevant in the 70s. A few months before he died, the Hawaiian concert broke an all-time TV viewership record. If anything, I'd say Lennon was a lot less relevant in 1980 because he was living in NYC like a hermit.
>>
File: 357424.jpg (25 KB, 438x293) Image search: [Google]
357424.jpg
25 KB, 438x293
>>61652341
>>
>>61652350
She was one of the highest selling artists ever.
>>
>>61652312
Nobody has multiplat records anymore except Taylor Swift, such is the Internet age.
>>
>>61652350
Not sure which song you're talking about, but I'm guess the Dolly Pardon one. You apparently don't realize how much of a hit I Wanna Dance with Somebody was.
>>
>>61652402
And no, I don't think the Beatles would have gotten back together anyway because JL had moved on with his life and he also thought at 40, you couldn't still be a rock star (he laughed at the Stones and Paul McCartney for still trying it as they were pushing middle age).
>>
>>61652350
How Will I Know was pretty huge.
>>
>>61652341
yeah i remember seeing this in the news and being terrified ever since

makes me wonder how many people hes affected in that way
>>
>>61652178
If you want to call it with your meme terms. I have listened to both of them, MJ was a huge success, bigger than Bowie, but his music never got in me and, of course, I tend to prefer Bowie's music
>>
>>61652421
Adele is about to go Diamond for an album released 2 months ago.
>>
>>61650509
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxixIbONuCQ

It would be a blessing at this stage.
>>
>>61652536
I didn't use any meme terms. Is contrarian a meme term?

Thanks for at least trying them both out.
>>
>>61652402
That Hawaii concert was from a few years before he died, not a few months, and many people remember that show for how out of it he looked at times. I already acknowledged that his death, along with Lennon's and Jackson's, sits in a tier of its own in terms of worldwide mourning. John Lennon's death probably still remains the most shocking for reasons I mentioned. Like I said, John Lennon was starting a very highly anticipated comeback a few months before he died.
>>
>>61652544
It doesn't deserve it, but I hope its success helps revitalize the industry
>>
Roy Orbison dropped at 52 right when his career was rebounding. That's gotta be up there.
>>
>>61652082
I wasn't alive when Marvin Gaye died, but man... Your own fucking dad. And right after coming back up with Midnight Love.
>>
>>61652566
just when they are overused in vietnamese image boards
>>
In his 22-year career, there were only three years that Elvis did not record anything (1959, 1974, and 1977). If you heard his final songs like Way Down, you knew he was a dying man.
>>
>>61652597
I doubt it will. Not with all of the cookie-cutter pop and R&B hitting the radio. No fedora.
>>
>>61651215
>89
>still doing tours
HBA
>>
>>61652671
The doctors who performed the autopsy said that he had the body of an 80 year old at only 42. He was just physically a mess at the end.
>>
>>61647734
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPMmzKs62w
But Madonna's already dead
>>
>>61648889
God damn it I've been away from the news for a couple of weeks and only found out with your post that Lemmy is also dead (and thanks to wiki how fast he passed).
Must've been the worst Christmas ever for a lot of people.
>>
>>61649679

>my mum still drives me to school: the post
>>
>Buddy Guy is still alive

huh.
>>
>>61649080
>i doubt it
bitch sounds like you werent alive when elvis was around
>>
>>61652833
Apparently Buddy Guy has had a slow-progressing form of dementia since the 90s,
>>
>>61652739
Truly the king.
>>
>>61652867
Probably none of us were close to being born when Elvis died, heck many of you were sucking your thumbs when Diana went.
>>
How has nobody mentioned the big man himself? Jerry Garcia's death was the first big news story of the internet age.
>>
Johnny Winter - IDR what the reaction to his passing was. It seemed that BB King was a lot bigger deal.
>>
>>61652867
MJ was undoubtedly more famous than Elvis, at least globally. Maybe Elvis had a former grasp on America.
>>
>>61651937
both unacceptable, but not the same.
>>
>>61652929
He was also in awful shape for only his early 50s, probably a good 10-15 years older physically than his calendar age.
>>
>>61649507
Hendrix?
>>
Imagine you're watching sports before the internet and you hear this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73GFvAyIjs
>>
>>61652960
>>61652929
Jerry was an obese diabetic who smoked like a chimney, had a horrible diet, and was worn down by endless touring.
>>
>>61649507
>>61650450
fuck when did mercury die
>>
>>61653043
1991 although Queen's European fanbase was twice as big as their US fanbase.
>>
>>61652938
dude. you have no idea.
>>
>>61653011
Nobody's disagreeing with that statement. It's a shame he's dead. The world needs Jerry now more than ever.
>>
>>61653043
You thought he was still alive or wha?
>>
Scott Weiland's death didn't seem that huge desu.
>>
>>61652992
It's hard to imagine MNF being interrupted for anything. That must have been crazy.

>>61653043
>>
>>61653075
I meant firmer
>>
>>61653111
Him making it that far in life was more huge desu
>>
>>61653111
It wasn't on the same scale as some of these others but in terms of personal saddness, Weiland's was the hardest for me in a long time.
>>
>>61653146
Eh, Ozzy still kicking at almost 70 is more of a deal.
>>
Eazy-E was a pretty big deal too. Obviously not even close to MJ terms, but as far as the hip hop community goes, he was a big one
>>
>>61648889
Dio's death was a huge blow to the metal community as well.
>>
>>61649125
>>61649277
>hung over from the night before
>trying to sleep
>everyone in the house starts screaming
>they bust into my room
>MICHEAL'S DEAD OMG
>k
>go back to sleep
>>
>>61653176
That's true but Ozzy has had Sharron to keep him alive, otherwise he'd be long gone
>>
Dimebag Darrell
>>
>>61653213
I guess the fact that he has a wife of 30+ years, three kids, and now grandkids gives the guy something to live for whereas Lemmy had nothing but his music.
>>
>>61653140
No, you don't understand the concept of having a singular musical icon. Presley was in an era without competition in his prime. MJ sure was at the top, but by the time he came around the music scene was divide by many successful artists. The sort of unparalleled popularity Presley held is something that could never be replicated now. The average person has entire lifetimes of music from thousands of artists at their fingertips. You just dont understand what it was like then.
>>
>>61653284
Michael was still more famous at his prime than Elvis was at his.
>>
>>61653390
Not him, but no he wasn't.
>>
>lemmy and bowie killed by cancer
>4chan memes literally gave these people cancer
>>
>>61653227
Fuck, how did I forget this? That was metal's John Lennon moment.
>>
File: 1452503536305.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1452503536305.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
>>61647800
>people were literally killing themselves

Just like Robin Williams, and every other celebrity suicide.

It has been proven that suicide rates spike after a celebrity suicide, so this isn't really significant.
>>
>>61653422
Michael sold more records
>>
File: gnyaq7G.jpg (135 KB, 700x1094) Image search: [Google]
gnyaq7G.jpg
135 KB, 700x1094
le funny foto
>>
>>61653490
dude you are literally talking out of your ass. you are right, technically but that doesnt count for anything. most people didnt even have record players, just radio... you really dont get it.
>>
>>61653490
>Elvis estimated 1 billion
>MJ estimated 750 million
Try again.
>>
>>61653534
If you mean pre-1950s, sheet music and the radio were more important than records, but by the time Elvis was around, every American home pretty much had a record player.
>>
Lennon for sure. All people here in gommie countries cried for him. He was more a symbol, really. Freedom and stuff.
>>
>>61653542
Not him but MJ's records were a much bigger deal than Elvis', who release something every year. Elvis had his movies, though. I don't think anybody here can really say who was bigger in their prime, unless you're literally 80 years old
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.