[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I dont listen to classical Why do you pass up 500 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 17
File: 1388890732949.jpg (48 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1388890732949.jpg
48 KB, 469x463
>I dont listen to classical

Why do you pass up 500 years of musical geniuses? Is it because you prefer music written by untrained plebs, for untrained plebs?
>>
i'm a pleb so yeah
>>
i don't normally listen to it, but nothing really awakens things inside you like classical music
>>
Are classical fans the PC gamers of music?
>>
I literally dont listen to anything that wasnt released in the last week or is unreleased.
>>
>>61622606
>500 years
>>
>>61622606

While I like classical music I have to say that you don't get the fedora meme. I'll help you to understand it since you're obviously new to the whole internet thing.

> I only listen to classical music
> *tips fedora*

On principal I disagree but according to internet law that'd be the correct usage :^)
>>
>>61622677
shut up you fucking nerd
>>
It's kind of a pain to get into classical. I tried looking into it but then people started shitting on certain recordings and specific ones are relatively difficult to find.
>>
>>61622688

no u
>>
>>61622699
The /classical/ megaupload selection is enough for anyone for years of music.
>>
File: 4354.jpg (74 KB, 498x357) Image search: [Google]
4354.jpg
74 KB, 498x357
>>61622712
geekass nerd getting shoved into the gay boys only locker = YOU

alpha as fuck bully whos gonna get his dick sucked by everyone in the cheerleader squad = ME
>>
>>61622757

but chad, I w ont to suck your dickly :DDDDDDD
>>
>>61622772
:OOO (:P,. big nick speaking here) - nick (its nick)
>>
fuck off please no one cares about classical music
>>
jazz > classical
>>
>>61624708
pleb

>>61624719
lol
>>
>>61622640
why ?
(here's your attention point)
>>
File: DEMON-KIHACHIRO-KAWAMOTO.jpg (80 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
DEMON-KIHACHIRO-KAWAMOTO.jpg
80 KB, 600x450
>>61624719
> varied genre > vague musical description
Best you quit now.
>>
File: 1444004813292.jpg (40 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1444004813292.jpg
40 KB, 600x750
>>61622606
>only intellectual gentlemen such as myself listen to classical music
>>
The classical period was only 160 years
>>
File: 1435185610653.jpg (24 KB, 353x427) Image search: [Google]
1435185610653.jpg
24 KB, 353x427
>>61622606

>try to listen to classical
>it's boring and all sounds the same
>quit and listen to pleb music
>>
>>61625798

it's ok anon, daddy's here for you
>>
For all intents and purposes it's unlistenable.

Far too complicated for the modern audience structure based around motivic development and harmony (not blop blop chords) and long forgotten maniers/cliches whose meaning in adding them or not is lost.
Everyone today can notice something peculiar about a rock song when the drums, say, disappear, but nobody will bat an eyelid if extended modulation or elaborate cadance is done in a classical piece - he won't hear it, nor will know what he's hearing.

Only hipsters like it because >Enlightened Badge, but unless they are old farts they'll move onto other meme styles.
>>
>>61625798
Me desu
>>
File: 1405736961233.jpg (63 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
1405736961233.jpg
63 KB, 854x859
>>61622606
>500 years
>leaving out Des Prez, Ockeghem, Obrecht, Perotin, Fayrax, Dufay, and Machaut
>>
>>61625879
I don't understand any of the technical terms, but even on a superficial listening I can still enjoy it and appreciate the complexity in comparison to most modern music
>>
lol its all just pianos lmao
>>
>>61625187
Who are you quoting?
>>
I recommend Mahler's symphonies for anyone desperately wanting to listen to classical music. I only base this on my personal experience. I really got into classical music when I heard Mahler's first symphony. After that I suggest Mahler's second symphony or fourth.

Easy way to enter the world of classical music is short piano sonatas for example Mozart's Sonata in C major (K545). And a great symphony to start with is Beethoven's fourth symphony followed by his fifth. They are relatively short ones unlike Mahler's symphonies which are often long and heavy.

I'm no expert in classical music but these are just some friendly tips and recommendations I wanted to share
>>
>being proud of your 'training'

good little doggie, can you sit and stand, beg and roll over?
>>
>>61622635
at least pc gamers tend to know a thing or two about PCs

nobody on /mu/ knows jack shit about classical, they don't even know music theory
>>
>>61622606
>training
/mu/, where people spend time training themselves in hearing music that they don't like so that they can call others "plebs".
>>
>>61626126

>I need music theory to understand music;)

Bullshit. You don't need it to make music let alone hear it "properly". You just need ears.
>>
>>61625910

I'd suggest to avoid long pieces. Stick to short, 2-3 minute ones with clear melody as they resemble pop music more. ie [melody 1] [melody 2] [melody1] [ending]. This is easily enjoyable while say a symphony with it's extreme developments, variations and things happening essentially turns into ambient music.
>>
>>61626184
So what you are suggesting is basically music with the sonata form
>>
File: gh9H1A7T.png (84 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
gh9H1A7T.png
84 KB, 256x256
>>61626139
it's the same shit on /tv/ underneath all the super hero trash

who's to say it doesn't actually work tho

I train little by little
>>
File: 1373061223908.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1373061223908.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
>I don't exclusively listen to Mahler
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 600x600
>open up classical thread
>see classical recs for tchaikovsky, Wagner, Copland, and Bach
>mfw none of them are classical

I'll just listen to mucore in peace
>>
File: folder.jpg (109 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
109 KB, 1000x1000
Post your favourite classical
>>
File: folder.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>61626510
>>
>>61626510
Trout Quintet Replica
>>
Neo-classical metal is literally the best from that music added to rock. I really don't see the point in listening to the old stuff.
>>
File: folder.jpg (107 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
107 KB, 1000x1000
>>61626510
>>
>>61625778
fuck off
>>
>>61626194
No.
sonata form is a lot more complicated than that you retard.
just stick to pop music
>>
why are you guys always mean
>>
>>61626510
Charles Dutoit: Montreal Symphony Orchestra - Holst: The Planets
>>
>>61626796
4chan is a great place to vent pent up anger, cunt
>>
>>61626126
>is literally tied to Windows as an operating system
>at least pc gamers tend to know a thing or two about PCs

>>61626149
then there's this guy
>>
>>61622606
You guys get shat on rhythmically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuhHU_BZXSk also jazz harmony is way more intriguing
>>
>>61627070
please kill yourself
>>
>>61627099
Awwww no rebuttal?
>>
File: rivs.jpg (56 KB, 700x519) Image search: [Google]
rivs.jpg
56 KB, 700x519
>>61626126
>>61626149
came here looking for a /mu/ approved classical list kinda like how /lit/ has theirs. i'm getting the feeling such a thing doesn't exist.

plz no bully.
>>
When I was learning musical theory I had to listen to alot of classical music. It just became really boring and repetitive after a while.
>>
>>61627157
jazz is for hipsters like yourself.
using extended chords with as many added notes as you want doesn't make it more "intriguing" as typical jazz harmony came from classical anyway.
and rhythmically? please kill yourself you uneducated loser
>>
>>61622714
link?
>>
>>61627234
thanks for your great contribution friend
>>
>>61627279
A lot of it are just triads and major7, minor7 chords, are you actually musically educated? I think you missed a sentence after "and rhythmically?"
>>
>>61627432
oh, so you're worse than a hipster, you don't even listen to jazz, just a more pop version of funk.
please just fuck off and take a music class
>>
>>61627295
>General folder. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical
https://mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes Bach and Mozart subfolders
https://mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
https://mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>Debussy Folder: Recordings of Debussy's most important/famous works
https://mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera folder: Construction in progress. Features recorded productions of various operas
https://mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Renaissance Folder
https://mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Crudblud stuff
http://crudblud.sjm.so/
>>
because I don't enjoy it like you do

I don't understand what people are talking about when they're like "Goulds insight is superhuman, he channels the angels directly"

im probably just of low intelligence so I don't appreciate all the intricate musical structures.

maybe when I'm older idk, baka
>>
>>61626071
I don't think Mahler would be the best first step into classical
>>
>>61627529
Still uses jazz harmonies and modulations, I didn't throw in the "big" chords cuz I didn't think you'd understand. First four chords Emadd2/b, emno5/a' g6no3 and c#dim/g. Lol stop lying to us you're not actually trained are you, first you say the chords are unnecessarily big then you say it's a pop version of funk rock
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBllMKPWniQ

Here is a classically trained violinist (Tim Charles) playing technical-progressive-black-death metal. Now I'm not going to say these guys (Ne Obliviscaris) are "more intelligent" than those classical composers, but they have a damn fine understanding of everything you find in classical music along with a fuck load more that Bach, Mozart or Beethoven had never heard of because it wasn't around. The skill of Cygnus on bass, Dan Presland on drums and Ben Baret on lead guitar is as high as a concert violinist - they trained and they practice. A lot.
Also see how much movement and action there is. Unlike classical concerts where you get thrown out for farting, the crowd will be moshing and dancing or just swaying to the performance and there will be a handful of air-drummers trying to keep up with Dan (and failing).
>>
>>61627586
pls respond
>>
>>61622606
>music written by untrained plebs, for untrained plebs
What's wrong with that?
>>
File: trgrd.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
trgrd.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
>>61622606
>classical period
>500 years
>>
>>61626126
Multiple people on /classical/ have literally written and posted fugues
>>
>>61626510
>>
>>61627586
Just find music you like. 'Classical' music world is far huge to always discover new works/composers. Once you start to liking some specific work, you gonna hear the differences on different recordings. Every performer should have their own signature.
>>
>>61627070
>also jazz harmony is way more intriguing
confirmed for actual pleb who hasnt done enough part writing to understand how real music works
>>
Why are classicalfags so autistic about classical music? I enjoy a lot of it. But shit like this >>61622606 and this >>61626126 really triggers me for some reason.
>>
Downtuning an instrument makes enormous differences to what you can compose and what musicians can play. I don't think Mozart used minor pentatonic b5, Phrygian dominant, Byzantine and Hungarian minor scales. Also there are no universal laws of harmony.
>>
>>61628588
what was this meant to prove or imply?
>>
>>61628602
Mozart doesn't make melodies flow from violin to viola to cello - they have different roles. They play counterpoint or harmonies. Which of those scales I listed did he use? None. He was not averse to playing with tuning but he still composed from a narrow convention in comparison to what exists today.
>>
>>61628654
You're first statement is a complete generalization about Mozart thats often just untrue.
And no, when Mozart was alive nobody was using those scales in Europe, so why would he? Is this supposed to be a knock against classical or just Mozart?

I don't really get what you're going for here.

Mozart isn't a Beethoven or Wagner who broke all the rules all the time, nobodies alluding to that.
>>
>>61628749
The whole point I have been making about detuning is what you just said. He's not the first person to know the range and tuning of the instruments he writes for - everyone does. My point was simply that he did not have the capacity to write for the range of tuning you can with a guitar. That's not a value judgement, it was a simple statement of fact. If the only instrument that existed was a one-string violin he would have been restricted by that. If he had guitar and synth he would have been able to exploit their range too. I didn't say he didn't have the skill, I said he didn't have the tools. He used what he had.
The compositional frameworks Mozart used and created are well studied and it's not difficult for someone who has studied musical composition to create works that sound much like Mozart's, just as there are artists who can create perfect forgeries. The point is, why would you write something that sounds like his existing works? What's happened over time is that those and many other musical theories are still applied plus there are other tools available that were not available at the time. Music has branched out into myriad styles and the fact that people writing that music don't write classical music does not make them dumb.
>>
>>61628769
I still think most progressive music has always been classical, up to today.

You can argue that if you want, I just think if you're aware of what classical has done from Wagner to Debussy to Stravinsky to Schoenberg to etc etc etc its pretty clear. lots of other types of music have stemmed off of folk and classical and stagnated as popular music but classical has always moved forward.

Just my opinion though.
>>
>>61628374
Bartòk's 2nd violin concerto is the worst of his mature works though pham
>>
>>61625778
OP is such a plen he probably refers to anything with a violin as classical
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anDubQjFZk8

Here is a classically trained violinist (Emilie Autumn) playing Victoriandustrial. Now I'm not going to say these guys (The Bloody Crumpets) are "more intelligent" than those classical composers, but they have a damn fine understanding of everything you find in classical music along with a fuck load more that Bach, Mozart or Beethoven had never heard of because it wasn't around. The skill of The Blessed Contessas on aerial silk acrobatics, Captain Maggot as the stage drunk and Veronica Varlow as nymphomaniac is as high as a concert violinist - they trained and they practice. A lot.
Also see how much movement and action there is. Unlike classical concerts where you get thrown out for farting, the crowd will be moshing and dancing or just swaying to the performance and there will be a handful of ballet dancera trying to keep up with Lady Aprella (and failing).
>>
>>61622635
A 5 year old with minecraft is a PC gamer.
>>
>musical genius
Was it?
>>
>>61625985
> I don't understand how greentexting works in 2016 and want everyone to keep using it like it's 2006

Get the fuck over yourself.
>>
>>61622606
I don't listen to recordings of most classical music, as it is supposed to be heard in a big room played by a big orchestra and no soundsystem in the world can emulate that sound /feel you get listening to the actual live performance.

I do make exceptions when it comes to specific types of modern classical music but all in all I think that listening to recordings of classical classical pieces is the most plebeian thing one can do.
>>
File: max.gif (2 MB, 383x576) Image search: [Google]
max.gif
2 MB, 383x576
>>61629088
>I do make exceptions when it comes to specific types of modern classical music but all in all I think that listening to recordings of classical classical pieces is the most plebeian thing one can do.
>>
>>61629088
Some people wanna learn from or enjoy music more than once a week family
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oIIQHKQwzK

Could somebody who is well-versed in classical music help me identify this piece? Apologies for poor quality.
>>
>>61629243
>2016
>learning from classical music
what are you? a 12 years old piano student?!
>>
>>61626149
Holy fuck.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.