[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>say something genuine >put yourself at risk of being deemed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: louis.jpg (11 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
louis.jpg
11 KB, 298x298
>say something genuine
>put yourself at risk of being deemed "edgy" or "pretentious"

honestly this isn't a salient argument for anything
>>
Add those words to your filter.
>>
those are just code words for the type of mindset people have in middle school
grow up
>>
I think you don't know what salient means.
>>
you seem like a homo but this irony-soaked anti-genuine streak the internet (youth culture?) as a whole seems to have lately is fucking poison
>>
when "edgy" is used correctly, it's usually used against someone who posts like "ACTUALLY..." then proceeds to spout off some dismissive opinion regarding music generally accepted as being classic or timeless

somewhere around 14-16 years old, you realize you can say "I don't believe in God" and "the Beatles suck" and "actually Brian Eno is terribly contrived" without your head exploding, so some people take a lot of joy in just being contrary and shitting on things everybody likes without justification because it makes them feel like an individual

when you act in such a way as to cause people to think you're more interested in rebelling and establishing a personal style than actually assessing music, you should be called "edgy"
>>
>>61605553
if it's not a dank meme, the youth of today don't want to hear about it
>>
>>61605513
When being pretentious and edgy backfires. Lmao
>>
>>61605611
>trying to define 'edgy'

so pretentious
>>
>>61605553
Your completely behind the times. Irony was much cooler 15 to 20 years ago. Sincerity is fashionable
>>
File: 1431126456934.png (72 KB, 165x388) Image search: [Google]
1431126456934.png
72 KB, 165x388
It's all about presentation. For instance, on the new Kid Cudi record, he says a lot of 'genuine' things - dude clearly is hurting in some way. But he presents it in such a way that seems childish and fake, and as a result, it makes it seem like that pain is there for the sole sake of saying 'I am in pain. Feel bad.' rather than it in a way that can resonate with the listener in any way. It's done in a very dull, lifeless, and thus seemingly disingenuous way.

Compare this example with Isaac Brock's description of his own suffering in the song 'Workin' on Leavin' the Living.' His dissatisfaction with his own life is shown in a way that seems real to the listener - strained, tired, and done. It's not considered particularly 'edgy' because it's presented in a way that is both artful and human, and so, we can relate.

If what your saying really is genuine, then it shouldn't be a problem to present it in a way that the audience can understand and empathize with.
>>
>>61605717
all b8 is irony
source: i'm an expert on b8
>>
There are times and places for discussing serious shit.

Learn your social cues and you are less at risk of being called pretentious and edgy for being genuine.
>>
>>61605979
that's your opinion though. Your opinion about when you want to hear something ironic or genuine.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.