[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about Sgt. Peppers that made it held in such high
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: sgt-pepper.jpg (324 KB, 1600x1549) Image search: [Google]
sgt-pepper.jpg
324 KB, 1600x1549
What is it about Sgt. Peppers that made it held in such high regard?

Not suggesting its bad or anything, this is just for discussion
>>
There wasn't much like it at the time.
>>
>The Beatles past leading up to it
>music in 1969 in comparison
>It's good
>>
Yeah what that guy said. It was like a rare pepe
>>
>>61452378
wasn't it the first concept album, or did I just imagine that?

also production is pretty good for the time.
>>
I think people like it for:

1. Extremely well-written pop tunes that had their own unique character and split from standard pop songwriting in obvious ways, and

2. The then-innovative way the tracks flowed together, giving the impression that the record did not simply contain a bunch of songs, but its own universe.

Now, it's my turn: if anyone in this thread loves Revolver but hates Sgt. Pepper, explain your case to me. What does Revolver have that Pepper doesn't?
>>
This, along with a few other albums in pop music at the time, paved the way for the LP to be taken seriously as an art form. By the late 60s albums were no longer singles added with filler created to milk extra money.
>>
many people call it overrated and i used to be one of these until i got more into the beatles and i dug the whole concept of sgt peppers and it just clicked with me
the colorful cover, the trippy songs and a day in the life at the end nghh
>>
A horde of misinformed people.
>>
Its just a good album to listen to while tripping
>>
>>61452446
underrated post
>>
>bait
>>
>>61452504
Eh, not really. The concept is only very loosely held together, to the point that on some songs it might as well not be there. Even then, there were albums before it which consciously focused on specific themes - see Frank Sinatra's In the Wee Small Hours, Sings Only for the Lonely, No One Cares, Woody Guthrie's Dust-Bowl Ballads, etc.
>>
dude are you fucking kidding this is the best album ever made PERIOD

NOTHING like it before it, NOTHING LIKE IT since its release.

OUTSTANDING production, unmatchable songwriting skills.

this album breathes and laments GENIUS.

the beatles revolutionized ALL MUSIC with this album.

no band beats THE BEATLES.

PERIOD.

pet sounds sucks
>>
>>61452504
The creation of the "concept album" is tough since it's such a loose term that's hard to define. There's been folk, jazz and classical records about concepts since the beginning. Beatles definitely had the biggest influence on the modern rock concept album though.
>>
>>61453105
>pet sounds sucks

inb4 angry /mu/tant army telling you to go to hell. I'm not a big Beatles fan but never understood why this board is constantly jerking off to Beach Boys and hating on Beatles.
>>
The bar for rock albums was set pretty fucking low at the time.

Sgt. Peppers was an album by a popular band that opened a lot of peoples eyes up to the possibilities of rock albums.

A lot of gushing over how complex and advanced the Beatles' music was sounds incredibly naive if you compare them to jazz of the time for example, but rock albums were pretty awful until the MID 60s.
>>
It's not a good album.
>>
>>61453607
Solid argument.
>>
>>61453765
There's nothing good about it. It lacks goodness.
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>61453829
goosd melodies
>>
>>61453880
Which songs?
>>
>>61454041
all of em
except when i'm 64's one, that one bugs me
>>
>>61454138
I like when I'm 64, but I don't think it fits with the album.
>>
>>61454138
"A Day in the Life" is a great song.

The rest of album: mostly forgettable. When someone thinks to put on The Beatles, who puts on "Good Morning, Good Morning," "Fixing a Hole," "When I'm 64," "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite," or "Lovely Rita"? Nobody. But these are a huge chunk of an album that some people would claim is the best of all time.

"She's Leaving Home" is a nice song. "With a Little Help From My Friends"? Pretty good. "Lucky in the Sky With Diamonds" and "Getting Better" are passable pop songs.

It's an album with one grand slam song, a lot of forgettable stuff, and a few decent songs.
>>
But I personally think the only good Beatles albums are The White Album and Abbey Road. The rest? I listened to it in high school, and now only a few songs from the early and middle periods are still good to me.
>>
>>61454451
This tbqh. Except I'd contend that A Day in the Life is pretty overrated.
>>
>>61452439
Sgt pepper came out before 1969
>>
>>61454451
i don't find any of sgt pepper's forgettable, it was actually the first beatles album that i recall staying in my head for a while
>>
>>61454742
>>61454451
>>61454534
either you guys forgot Revolver exists or you don't like Revolver

either way, something is wrong
>>
>>61454916
What does Revolver have to do with anything (besides my post about just liking White Album/Abbey)?
>>
>>61452378
Influence from Pet Sounds, duh.
>>
>>61453564
>why this board is constantly jerking off to Beach Boys and hating on Beatles.
Well, let's be real here: Contrarianism for the most part.

There is however a bit of truth to it. As great as the Beatles are, the Beach Boys are criminally underrated. Brian Wilson is a mad genius.
>>
It's not a meme. Pet Sounds is ten times the album Sgt. Pepper's is.
>>
>>61454451

When I'm 64 and Being for the Benefit of Mister Kite are the two best songs on the album though.
>>
>>61455057
That says a lot about the album.
>>
>>61454451
This desu
>>61455075
This desu
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.