[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that AC/DC is the most overrated RnR band of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: overrated.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
overrated.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
Can we all agree that AC/DC is the most overrated RnR band of all time?
>Simple time signatures
>A single riff through entire songs
>Barely use more than 3 chords
>Each song sounds the fucking same (after you've heard the 4 most popular ones you've heard it all
>Incredibly simple and braindead lyrics
I'm not saying that AC/DC is completely horrible, but wildly overrated. It's the pop of RnR.
>>
They have some great songs (Hells Bells), but other than a few gems, they aren't nearly as good as many claim they are to be.
>>
>>61445231

Bon Scott AC/DC or Brian Johnson AC/DC?
>>
>>61445231
Absolutely. They have good songs, but at least bands like motorhead (RIP Lemmy ;__;) who are known for sticking to a single formula have some great lyrics and some deeper shit in their songs. AC/DC is simple lyrically and instrumentally. At least Angus is a damn good guitarist.
>>
>>61445231
>>Simple time signatures
>>A single riff through entire songs
>>Barely use more than 3 chords
>>Each song sounds the fucking same (after you've heard the 4 most popular ones you've heard it all
>>Incredibly simple and braindead lyrics
So? What's wrong with that?
>>
>>61445231
You described pretty much all music ever.
>>
>>61445593
Yeah Angus is good, but Malcolm was the rhythmic backbone of that band.

Damn shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6_rpuuvxpc
>>
>>61445231
What did you expect? I'ts a band full of manlets.
>>
>>61445670
>Simple time signatures
>A single riff through entire songs
>Barely use more than 3 chords
Sure...
>>
>>61445231
>This band is over-rated because of [reasons people rate them highly]
What?
>>
>>61445580
Death
>>
AC/DC is the best rock band of all time

they managed to make the same song over and over but still make them catchy

simple time signatures
>what is rock n roll?
a single riff through entire songs
not true at all
>barely use more than three chords
thats the point u moron
each song the same...yet different
>the mark of a true master
incredibly simple braindead lyrics
>bon scotts lyrics were exceptionally clever

only true morons can't see the genius in AC/DC
>>
>>61445593
motorhead (RIP Lemmy ;__;) who are known for sticking to a single formula have some great lyrics and some deeper shit in their songs

this is some bizarro land shit

Motorheads lyrics are BY FAR the most moronic lyrics in all of music.

If you squeeze my lizard
I'll put my snake on you
I'm a romantic adventure
And I'm a reptile too

Killed by Death
Killed by Death
Killed by Death
Killed by Death

Motorheads riffs aren't memorable at all. They are pure forgettable garbage except for Overkill.
>>
>>61446571
>they managed to make the same song over and over but still make them catchy

Their songs have more variety than it seems, at least the BS albums. Of course 90% of people have only heard 3-4 horribly overplayed singles of theirs.
>>
>>61446640
Have you heard songs like Don't let daddy kiss me, I am the sword, I ain't no nice guy, my little man, orgasmotron or even the oh so popular ace of spades?
Lemmy can write incredible lyrics if you knew shit about them.
>>61446571
Here's the basic AC/DC fanboy right here. Some South American hue who can't see why their favourite band is over rated.
>"lol that's the thing they're supposed to sound the same XD AC/DC rules!!1!11"
>>
>>61447288
>the reasons why I'm wrong?
>wow you must be a fanboy then!
>>
They would be if it weren't for these fuckers
>>
>>61447391
This dude said that the mark of a true master is making the same song for 40 years and recycle it with a slight change for each album.
Also anyone who writes like that here is automatically a huge faggot, no matter what the music taste.
>>
>>61447627
>This dude said that the mark of a true master is making the same song for 40 years and recycle it with a slight change for each album
Not relevant.
>Also anyone who writes like that here is automatically a huge faggot, no matter what the music taste.
Non sequitur
>>
>>61447663
>Not relevant
How the fuck is it not relevant? You can just suddenly take an argument out of the game with just saying that it's not relevant?
>>
When I was in junior high, my classmates all liked Led Zeppelin. But I loved AC/DC. I got turned on to them when I heard them play "Problem Child" on The Midnight Special. Like Zeppelin, they were rooted in American R&B, but AC/DC took it to a minimal extreme that had never been heard before. Of course, I didn't know that back then. I only knew that they sounded better than any other band.

For AC/DC, rock began with Chuck Berry and ended around Elvis. They poured their lifeblood into that groove, and they mastered it. Highway to Hell is probably the most natural-sounding rock record I've ever heard. There's so little adornment. Nothing gets in the way of the push-and-pull between the guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young, bassist Cliff Williams and drummer Phil Rudd. For me, it's the embodiment of rock & roll.

When I'm producing a rock band, I try to create albums that sound as powerful as Highway to Hell. Whether it's the Cult or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I apply the same basic formula: Keep it sparse. Make the guitar parts more rhythmic. It sounds simple, but what AC/DC did is almost impossible to duplicate. A great band like Metallica could play an AC/DC song note for note, and they still wouldn't capture the tension and release that drive the music. There's nothing like it.

The other thing that separates AC/DC as a hard-rock band is that you can dance to their music. They didn't play funk, but everything they played was funky. And that beat could really get a crowd going. I first saw them play in 1979 at Madison Square Garden, before their singer Bon Scott died and was replaced by Brian Johnson. The crowd yanked all the chairs off the floor and piled them into a pyramid in front of the stage. It was a tribute to how great they were.

I'll go on record as saying they're the greatest rock & roll band of all time. They didn't write emotional lyrics. They didn't play emotional songs. The emotion is all in that groove. And that groove is timeless.
-Rick Rubin
>>
>>61447777
Did you read the thread? You've been shown why you were wrong a number of times. You haven't given a valid retort yet.
>>
File: 1436836966301.jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1436836966301.jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>61446571
>>
Touch Too Much is GOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGftIcp2SC0
>>
>>61445231
>simple time signatures
>a single riff through the entire song
>barely use more than 3 chords
couldn't you say that about punk?
>>
Nah that title goes to guns n roses. I remember asking for appetite for destruction for Christmas when I was 11 or 12 because I kept hearing about what an incredible and groundbreaking record it was and listening to it in full was one of the most profoundly disappointing musical experiences of my life. It's just awful
>>
>>61445231
Back in Black, Highway to Hell, and Dirty Deeds are the only AC/DC songs I like and/or can stand. Everything else is pretty boring.
>>
>>61445580
Ben Scott because with Johnson they became the world's ugliest band.
>>
>>61448075
>Ben
>>
While I do agree acdc is overrated, their music isn't just plain horrible. I fucking HATE Aerosmith. One of the worst bands I've ever heard
>>
>>61448392
Kek, typo
>>
>Only heard AC/DC on the radio
>'Everything else is boring'
>Never heard songs like Overdose, Touch Too Much, Night Prowler or Down Payment Blues

Geniune Retard
>>
>>61448484
That's because AC/DC actually had some new ideas in the Bon Scott era.
After that they slowly degraded in to playing the same song for 30 years.
>>
>>61448966
No one disagrees with this

But to say AC/DC (Bon Scott era) is overrated is literally fucking retarded
>>
>>61447800
Omg, a producer who (for the most part) produces bad albums likes AC/DC? Woow that totally changed my mind!
He's literally trying to give an excuse to laziness.
>>
File: jpegofledzepplin.jpg (25 KB, 400x283) Image search: [Google]
jpegofledzepplin.jpg
25 KB, 400x283
>stole all their music from niggers
>hack singer who screamed like a woman
>liked exclusively by 13 year olds

Led Zeppelin is literally a 100% trash band with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. OP is a massive cock-smuggling faggot for even suggesting that any band besides Led Zeppelin is the most overrated band of all time.
>>
>>61449407
>Implying I'll take shittalk from a tripfag
Fuck off
>>
But I love ACxDC https://youtu.be/aRjQR-0b4zQ
>>
>>61449407
>tripfag
>>
File: 2013-08-19-triburger.jpg (55 KB, 640x434) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-19-triburger.jpg
55 KB, 640x434
AC/DC has become "reverse underrated" over the years, mainly out of the petulant need of hipsters and or young people (whether they were Gen Xers, Yers, Zers who grew up hearing them overplayed on the radio and at sporting events) to distance themselves from music their dad or older brother liked, and who probably told them "Now this here is REAL music!"

The rebellion is understandable, but ultimately a silly reason to dismiss a band.

Is AC/DC cliched? Certainly. But cliched=/=bad. Burgers are a cliched food, but that doesn't stop them from tasting great when cooked and made properly with the right ingredients.

AC/DC is basically like this burger here. Simple but goddamn tasty because it's made so well.

And yes, not everyone likes burgers, I get that, but AC/DC is a fuckin' world class burger.
>>
"Each album we make tries to do something a little bit different. There are some bands like AC/DC who just release the same album over and over and have done very well for themselves, but we're not like that. Our fans would say 'Well, that's very nice but I already bought that album.'"

-- KK Downing
>>
>>61447800
Yah it's funny that Xgau never particularly liked AC/DC despite his avowed belief that rock should be as simple, unadorned, and direct as possible.
>>
Not that BIB isn't a great album, but all Brian Johnson material just feels as if they're spamming the singles from the first five albums.
>>
>>61446640
Both bands arrived in the late 70s at a much needed time when basic rawk was dead and there was nothing but disco, prog, and Kiss. AC/DC and Motorhead didn't have a full symphony orchestra going or 15 minute tracks, wigs and makeup, they didn't sing about wizards, nuclear war, and Satan. They just played rawk.

Van Halen to an extent as well, but they were more Los Angeles and glam-oriented, they had more female fans, and they were really only basic balls-out rawk for the first two albums.
>>
>>61448439
>I fucking HATE Aerosmith. One of the worst bands I've ever heard

Aerosmith were innovative and influential for the brief period in the 70s when they were on top of their game. Unfortunately they became drug addicts and ruined their careers before the decade was even up.

Then years later they came back as a sobered up commercial radio rock factory that played generic soccer mom anthems.
>>
>>61451384
>and they were really only basic balls-out rawk for the first two albums.

Fair Warning - By far their best album too, it's godly
>>
>>61451440
I even hate their early stuff, I make audible noises that clearly indicate I'm disgusted whenever a Aerosmith song comes on
>>
>>61451384
>>61451452
David Lee Roth maintains that the first album was the best one because it was just basic, clean rawk without the pretentious art rock and pop aesthetics of WACF onward. Mostly because Eddie really badly wanted to make 2deep4u fedoracore music of the kind that /mu/ would like.
>>
>>61451504
Come on, I love Last Child and Walk This Way.
>>
>>61451580
>David Lee Roth's opinion

Fair Warning is objectively their best album
>>
Hilarious forum post I found:

"I first saw Aerosmith at the Kingdome in Seattle in September '76. What an awful show. They just came on stage, played, and left without interacting with or even looking at the audience. Luckily Rick Derringer opened for them and totally burned his ass off. He saved the whole concert."

"Then I saw them two years later at Oakland Coliseum's Day On The Green in July '78. Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, Rolling Stones, Pat Travers, Ted Nugent, Journey. It was one wild weekend of rock-and-roll. Aerosmith were absolutely awful. People were walking out halfway through their set. I still like their albums, I just think they weren't good as a live act."
>>
>>61451703
Go to bed, Eddie.
>>
>>61451761
If this was 1978, they were already horrible junkies who could barely perform.
>>
>>61445231
Maybe. GNR is up there, too
>>
Yeah well, Xgau warned in his review of Rocks that Led Zeppelin peaked on their fourth record and this was now Aerosmith's fourth so don't expect them to remain on top much longer.

The skeptics are usually right.
>>
>>61451968
>>61451886
After Rocks they put out Draw The Line which had some good moments, but the band was so wasted that they never properly finished it. And then their concerts started becoming an absolute mess because they'd go on stage coked out of their minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hplDR4TPGTM
>>
>>61445670
You must listen to shitty music if this describes everything you listen to.
>>
>>61451788
Even I can sing better than you nowadays, David.
>>
>>61452509
DLR never really could sing. He mostly just rapped the songs. I mean, there's a few songs like Running With The Devil where he sings, but usually he was more like pre-Californication Anthony Kiedis.
>>
This thread gets made about once a week lately and AC/DC aren't a meme so clearly they must have done something right.

Also this is GOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKhTk0IynHM
>>
>>61452750
>>61452509
Dave totally fails nowadays when he tries to perform RWTD and anything that requires him to actually sing, though the rappy stuff he's fine.
>>
AC/DC are so iconic that commercials make up tracks that sound like AC/DC when they can't get the rights. There's a bunch of fake Black In Black jeans commercials, some others too. This is like a thing in the advertising world.
>>
AC/DC are one of the greatest heavy-metal bands of all times, and one of the most authentic acts of rock'n'roll. They embody the wild, rebellious quintessence of rock music like few other bands before punk-rock. They were the opposite of the intellectual singer-songwriter or the brainy progressive-rock or the decadent glam-rock of the 1970s: they were not the brain and not the heart but the guts of rock and roll. Rolling Stone Magazine gave a "zero" to several of their albums: the greatest compliment ever paid to them.
>>
>>61445231
Their first few albums are basically /Iggy Pop and the stooges core/
>>
>>61454381

That's a good thing, right?
>>
>>61445231
are you all just forgetting about kiss?
>>
>>61454434
Im letting people decide for themselves.
Personally, Raw Power is one of my favorite albums, and early AC/DC is really great in a similar way (their debut album was meh or even blegh but it had some headbangers). I will say AC/DC has more nostalgic power for me than it does musical.
>>
>>61454381
Hahaha you seriously have no clue

AC/DC is nothing like the Stooges. AC/DC is a force unto themselves. No other hard rock band has that kind of groove and precision

Try actually using your ears when you listen to music
>>
>>61454709
see
>>61454622
It was a compliment. And yes, they are very similar at certain points in each of their discogs.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.