[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any love for Beirut here? I can't remember the last tim
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: go.jpg (275 KB, 1181x929) Image search: [Google]
go.jpg
275 KB, 1181x929
Any love for Beirut here? I can't remember the last time I saw them mentioned.

On a related note, what is the tune that is integrated into Gulag Orkestar? The opening track here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkO1CzB1kQ
>>
they're not bad but still the vampire weekend of folk
>>
>>61444809
this
>>61443259
They're artsy for arts sake, not because they're truly original or deep.
>>
>>61444926

lol what does "original and deep" even mean in the context of an indie pop band

I think Beirut have a well-crafted sound that successfully blends Balkan folk with pop music and their aesthetic is nicely realized
>>
>>61444926
>>61444809
Not really, especially if you've like ever heard Gulag Orkestar or Flying Club Cup
>>
>>61444926
And this is why /mu/ is viewed as "/mu/ lol"
>>
Gulag and Flying Club are classics and will be remembered as defining sounds of the 00s.

Unfortunately they were very much of their time, occurred precisely when that sort of bombastic, sludgy blend of indie pop, balkan brass and chanson was in demand. But now trends have moved on, and the band is kind of drifting without port atm. Zach accurately believes the project needs to reinvent itself but hasn't really found anything but a pale imitation of old glory int heir past two releases imo. I wish him well.
>>
>>61444986
> they only disagree with me because they havent heard it, theres no other way

Go back to Reddit.
>>
>>61443259
music for girls
>>
>>61443259
the last 2 albums really sucked ass
I liked everything else tho
>>
Gulag is pretty okay but all else is far from being remotely good.

>>61445064
>>61444986
>>61444809

Memes
>>
Gulag was ok but they kind of feel like boring Sufjan at times
>>
>>61444809
That comparison doesn't really work because Beirut's sound is not typical at all.

Zach was definitely a part of the 00s indie folk 'movement', but not a spearhead, just a standout member.

>>61444926
This post is just terrible.
>>
>>61443259
OP here, still wanting to know what the song that Gulag Orkestar (title track) is based off of.
>>
>>61445010
Good post.
>>
>>61445161
It's an original composition/
>>
File: CAfEtUbUQAAq7eS.jpg (44 KB, 599x655) Image search: [Google]
CAfEtUbUQAAq7eS.jpg
44 KB, 599x655
>>61445143
> not getting the point >>61444809
was making
> calling Beirut original
>>
>>61445183
Really? It sounds highly reminiscent from an eighties staple that got the "balkans" feel.

Particularly 1:20 through the end.
>>
>>61445219
Beirut have their influences as all bands do but Gulag and Fly Club are both pretty unique sounding albums.

I don't really understand the point in attack an artist's 'originality' unless you're accusing them of plagiarism?
>>
>>61445311
> and still further embarrassing yourself

Is there a way to stop the r/indieheads infilitration
>>
>>61445427
um ok?
>>
>>61445427
Goodness, you're a faggot.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.