[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bob Dylan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
How do I achieve tone deaf, drunk sounding retard yet still massively successful mode?

No really, does this nigga have magic powers or some shit?
>>
Be a Jew.
>>
Dylan is the perfect pleb filter
>>
Good songwriting, lyrics and lots or charisma would help
>>
>>61439932
This could go both ways.

Are you says only plebs listen to him or plebs don't listen to him?
>>
>>61440024
plebs always get hung up on his voice

"he writes okay songs but I like them better when others are covering them xD"
>>
>>61440113
>if you don't like the BEAUTIFUL sounds of a tone deaf asshole you're a pleb :^)

Head back over to /r/atheism, friend. Your taste and intelligence is clearly far too great.
>>
Bobd Dylan had lyrics for days and he also had absolutely perfect timing. That's just something you have to get lucky with. If he showed up in the mid 70s or early 80s I doubt he would have been a quarter as successful.
>>
>>61440169
Dylan's voice was entirely intentional. Here's him when he's singing with a "good" voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww1gt6MHJRA
>>
>>61440169
Pretty cringe worthy how you're consistently missing the point.
>>
>>61440169
And it's funny how you think Dylan fans are athiests by nature given that he's put out multiple gospel/christian albums.
>>
File: embarrassing.png (71 KB, 159x183) Image search: [Google]
embarrassing.png
71 KB, 159x183
>>61440169
>>
>>61440255
>h-he sounded like d-dogshit on purpose!
By the way, he sounds like ass in that video.
>>61440259
What point is there to miss? It's entirely possible to appreciate the lyrical and technical skill of a singer and still think he sounds like dogshit. There's also plenty examples of singers with "flawed" vocals who can still sound great because of the emotion behind it and the power of their delivery. Bob Dylan has none of that. He sounds like a fucking idiot.
>>
>>61440395
You're just a bad troll at this point. Listen to anything on Blood on the Tracks and tell me there's no emotion in that, or Every Grain of Sand, or Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, or Most of the Time etc.

Give an example of a musician who fits this description, actually:
>There's also plenty examples of singers with "flawed" vocals who can still sound great because of the emotion behind it and the power of their delivery.
>>
>>61440395
Then you already have your answer. Start writing lyrics that are as good as Dylan's on a poetic and technical level and people will overlook your "tone deaf, drunk sounding retard" voice.
>>
He isn't tone deaf. It's just the way he sings... Listen to Nashville Skyline if you want to hear him try to sing good.
>>
>tone deaf
Jesus do you even know what that word means? Stop embarrasing yourself
>>
>>61440395
I think his voice has tons of personality and is very expressive, some anon saying "it sounds like dogshit" isn't gonna change anybody's mind. Not everybody has to be fucking Adam Levine or some shit.
>>
>>61440625
>Adam Levine
Now THAT is someone who sounds like dogshit. Fuck how can people enjoy his fucking high pitched meme voice is beyond me.
>>
>>61440462
A more recent example in my mind would be an artist like Woodkid. His low range works to his detriment on a lot of his music, but on some songs it actually heightens it.

>>61440462
I'm a troll because I have differing tastes than you? I suppose that is /mu/ in a nutshell, where "pleb" and "patrician" artists are clearly just so well defined.
>>
>>61440777
>>61440625

I agree, Adam Levine's voice is nasally and annoying.
>>
Scaruffi said it right.

>There was a proliferation of Dylan's songs sung by others. People seemed to prefer The Byrds and The Turtles to him. Dylan has a voice that doesn't seem the least interested in following the melody. The difference is that Dylan doesn't sing his songs, he lives them. The others sound better because they only sing them.
>>
>>61440844
Is Dylan a talentless retard because you have different tastes from most people?
>>
>>61440304
Dylan has converted to like 10 different religions or something over his life.
>>
>>61440844
You're a troll because you haven't actually defended your position in the topic, just said "nah, you're wrong, go back to reddit Mr. athiest!"
>>
"Often dubbed the voice of a generation, Bob Dylan shied away from those titles and found them embarrassing. He had a deep-seated loathing of longhairs and hippies, believing that they were foolish and weren't going to change the world by dropping LSD and having free love. During the height of the counterculture movement, Dylan retreated from the public spotlight and seldom gave live performances except for a few TV appearances. He flatly rejected an invitation to perform at Woodstock."
>>
I'm not a very skilled guitar player but I enjoy Bob Dylans work. The times are a changing in particular, I know its the generic variation of G, C, Am, D and so forth but his voice and the way he sings it is really nice. I hate the covers of it because they sing it. He...speaks with a pitch, I think. Normal voices can be so dry and boring, its just not moving at all, I especially detest the auto tuned covers done by semi popular youtubers incapable of writing their own songs. Bland isn't the word I'mlooking for exactly...how do I say it... Frustratingly lame?
>>
>>61440871
Literally the exact kind of hammy, pretentious, nonsensical bullshit that could only be conjured up on a board as insufferable as this.
>>
>>61442473
But it wasn't conjured up on this board in the slightest. Scaruffi made it up in the 90s.
>>
>>61442473
>MUH STEM DISCIPLINES
>FUCK ART
>>
I'm not fucking with you or trolling OP, I legitimately have the exact viewpoint of Dylan as you.

When someone first suggested I listen to him in middle school, I thought why not: a cool super popular songwriter/musician might be neat, you know? Worst thing I have ever heard. And as I have heard more of his material as time has gone by, it just sounds worse and worse. I literally don't talk to people anymore if they ever insist on listening to this fucking pathetic piece of shit. He's the Rowling of the music world.
>>
i actually do not like dylan at all aside from some tracks on bringin it all back home.

that being said, ive always found it hard to appreciate or even hear/understand lyrics when they are delivered by a good singer.

also you have to keep in mind that even though he borrowed a lot from folk music (which generally relies on good singers) bob was a rock and roller through and through. he was a heavy in the mid 60s greenwich village scene, which for all intents and purposes was the beginning of punk rock (VU, the Fugs, David Peel and the Lower East Side Band).

Of course it sounds pretentious to say, but the primitive, raw, minimalistic sound was clearly intentional on his part. And you have to remember that back then it was actually a pretty fresh idea to strip everything down how he did.
>>
>>61441810
>he speaks with a pitch

you're fucking dumb, you know that?
>>
>>61442974
Thank you for being an opposing opinion (I know not exactly) without being a cunt. I do appreciate it a lot and I do find a lot of what you have said to be pretty insightful.
>>
>>61443102
He said barely anything different from what we've been saying in this thread since the beginning.
>>
>>61443177
Please point out for me a post in thread that brings up any of the points this anon has, also while not being a complete cunt.
>>
>>61439880
Fuck off Donovan.
>>
What's cunty about this?
>>61440255
You're the one who's been telling people to go back to reddit for disagreeing with you.
>>
>>61443177
yeah i mean what can you say about dylan anywho? theres not a lot going on and you either dig his lyrics, or hes going to be totally worthless to you.
i really just wanted to name drop david peel and the lower east side band. more people should listen to those guys. aside from being smelly hippies and being active only in the late 60s, those guys were punk as fuck. as were The Fugs (i think ed saunders is actually the first to use "punk rock" to describe music)
>>
>>61439880
Nice bait now fuck off
>>
To paraphrase Dylan, how do so many people give him shit for his voice and praise Lou Reed in the same breath?

Of all the influential vocalists of his generation who didn't have angelic , why is Dylan the only one who gets singled out for his unconventional tone?

And the criteria for his criticism are strange too, on record I struggle to think of many times when he's out of tune, but people still call him tone deaf because of his affected way of singing.
>>
>>61439880
its cause hes a good writer idiot
>>
>>61443803
dylan is a bigger target. as big as lou reed was, bobby-boy was bigger.

but seriously as far as leather jacket, shades always on, shitty singers go, there is only one that reigns supreme and that is Armand Schaubroeck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBK_peNV2c
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.