[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why has this been talked about so much on /mu/ while much better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 300x300
Why has this been talked about so much on /mu/ while much better saxophonist-composers like Ken Vandermark, Chris Potter, Tony Malaby, and Mark Turner are almost completely unknown?
>>
>Chris Potter
>unkown

kek
>>
It triggers you guys so hard, it's ridiculous.

Its good, groovy, accessible. It's cosigned/gained buzz with Kendrick and Thundercat. Yes, there's other good new jazz. Yes, this is popular.

Maybe instead of starting yet another thread complaining about him, start one celebrating the others you listed. Maybe with their image and even their music?
>>
I don't know what you mean. Most of the threads about this album (created by me often) are about how mediocre it is. Most of the resulting posts are also about how mediocre it is. Only on occasion do people post "LOL YOU FUCKIN FAKERS POST BETTER ALBUMS" and then people post better albums (including Mark Turner and Chris Potter).

Granted I don't think Potter made the AOTY
>>
Memes and melons
>>
You guys spend way too much time posting about albums you don't like
>>
>>61435592
If not The Epic, what are the best jazz albums of the year? I honestly didn't listen to much new jazz last year and I am genuinely curious.
>>
>>61435699
Maybe it's because /mu/ is too pleb/ignorant of the good albums.

I mean I'd post albums/releases I liked if they got replies but the fact is they don't, only fantanocore does.

Newfag.
>>
>>61435723
vijay iyer trio - break stuff
tim berne - you've been watching me
rudresh - bird calls
maria schneider - thompson fields
>>
>>61435592
It all seems very logical to me. The Epic was contrived and marketed specifically to appeal to teenage hip hop fans. Since this is mu's main demographic it stands to reason that it would be posted the most.
>>
>>61435750
So you're basically just a jtg drone?
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 496x148) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 496x148
>oh don't worry Kamasi, marketing money can never fail in the music industry!
>WAIT, WHAT? THEY ONLY PICKED GOOD ALBUMS? SHUT IT DOWN
>>
>>61435881
Post your favorite jazz albums of the year and we'll see.
>>
>>61435750
Thanks, will listen.
>>
>post any jazz AOTY list with Bird Calls on it
>"JTG DRONE JTG DRONE"
I feel like they do it to try and avoid the fact that they haven't heard any of the other albums
>>
>My Dad works for Nintendo and...

But for real my Dad is a well reviewed jazz artist and obsessive collector, as well as personal friends with Charles Lloyd, the late Nat Adderley and others, and he's really impressed by the album. Anecdotal, who cares, etc, but this meme of he's only for p4k kids is meritless. It's nothing earth shattering, but it's very good for all ages of jazz fans.
>>
>>61435961
"If Birdcalls isn't on your jazz list... You don't have a jazz list"

-JTG
>>
>>61436050
lol what would fantano have rated bird calls?
>>
>>61435961
This.
There has been people talking about Manthappa on here since before Gamak came out. That's how I heard him first.
These people care more about trying to undermine a person's sense of individuality than they do about actually talking about the music they've listed.
>>61436019
>personal friends with Charles Lloyd
Could you get me an autograph?
>>
>>61435732
>Newfag
The fact that you think this album is acclaimed here shows you're projecting.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a positive thread about this shit. Its always a blend between valid complaints about its length and mediocrity or "wahhh why is this famous but x album isn't"

Maybe if you tried sharing more of x album /mu/ wouldn't be so pleb/ignorant of it

Alternatively you could post somewhere else where said albums are more well known

But who are we kidding, you're not going anywhere.
>>
>>61436161
>The fact that you think this album is acclaimed here shows you're projecting.
That's not what I said, try reading my post again.

I said that /mu/ only cares enough to discuss music that is discussed by pitchfork or fantano. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, it matters if they don't have to do anything to ''discover'' it.

If you post something outside of those tastemakers it is ignored because they don't care.
>>
>>61435723
Laurent Coq & Walter Smith III - The Lafayette suite
Samuel Blaser - Spring rain
Sylvaine Hélary - Spring rolls / Printemps
Dieter Hilg - Mein Beethoven
Antoine Hervé - Complètement Stones
Arnault Cuisinier - Ainima
Alban Darche hyprcub - Crooked house
Rudresh Manhanthanppa - Bird calls
Erik Friedlander - Oscalypso
Emil Spanyi & Jean Bardy - Very blue
Nat Birchall - Invocations
>>
>>61436214
>If you post something outside of those tastemakers it is ignored because they don't care.

That's blatantly false though, a lot the best albums I've found here haven't been mentioned by either of those sources

Also do you really not see how you're adding to the problem by making yet another thread about something p4k/fantano appraised?
>>
its epic
>>
>>61435622
God knows this board needs more people like you
>>
>>61436019
I'm really interested to know who your dad is
>>
>>61436252
>a lot the best albums I've found here haven't been mentioned by either of those sources
It's very rare that a good album outside of those sources is posted. Most of the time they're just contrarian-core like Long Season or VDC.
I didn't make this thread btw.
>>
>>61436421
>contrarian-core like Long Season or VDC.

I don't think you know what contrarian means
>>
>>61436563
Those albums only got popular because they're seen as "so much better" than /mu/core like Kid A and LYSF.
Like I remember back when people posted 10/10 threads more often that people would frequently say the /mu/core albums are shit and then say shit like cLOUDDEAD and Fishmans were GOAT. It's embarrassing.
>>
>>61435732
>Maybe it's because /mu/ is too pleb/ignorant of the good albums.

I'm sorry, but this is really not true. Just think about how much good music you wouldn't be aware of if you had never come to /mu/.
>>
>>61437198
>Just think about how much good music you wouldn't be aware of if you had never come to /mu/.
/mu/ gave me the essentials chart and nothing else.
>>
Vandermark and Potter are pretty popular bro. Is that really your go to for "obscure" jazz?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.