[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone hate Noise music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2
File: 608.jpg (67 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
608.jpg
67 KB, 709x765
Why does everyone hate Noise music?
>>
>>61408449
Why did somebody edit him to be holding the shotgun?
>>
>>61408449
Because it's just noise. It's in the name, not saying I hate the genre
>>
>>61408449
>Noise
>music
>>
>>61408619
You could call it 'sound art' instead I guess, but that's less convenient
Besides music is the art of manipulating sounds by definition
>>
>>61408636
By definition music has some rhythm.

Noise isn't music. I still like it though.
>>
>>61408781
>drone doom
>>
>>61408449
noise is just a subgenre of ambient which is a subgenre of jazz
>>
>>61408781
music=organized sound
>>
>>61408636
Music has melody, however minimal it may be.
>>
>>61408843
>>61408805
>4"33
>>
because as evidence in that other thread amateur musicians think they can make "noise music" and instead of being self aware enough to tell themselves they made trash they say "you just don't get it man" and when hundreds of artists who don't want to learn music theory or practice in any way flood a particular genre it becomes harder to find quality. Does good noise exist? yes. but the genre is oversaturated and 1% of it is "good".
>>
>>61408972
link us some good noise then.
>>
>>61408853
which is also not music, obviously
>>
>>61408972
How can I be good?
>>
>>61408972
What is even the difference between good and bad noise? It's noise alright, what do you judge it's quality on? Is there a scale of noisiness?
Noise isn't a competition.
>>
>>61408972
That's literally not a noise-exclusive problem though. People do that for all genres of music, there's just simply more bands in more popular genres.
>>
>>61409034
Some would apply that logic to all music. What makes something objectively good?
>>
>>61408805
>free improv
>>
>>61409058
Nothing. There is no such thing as "objectively good"
>>
HOLY SHIT I'M SO FUCKING STUPID THIS DOESN'T CONFORM EXACTLY TO MY PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS OF WHAT MUSIC SHOULD BE/IS I GUESS THEN THAT IT IS NOT MUSIC BECAUSE I AM THE AUTHORITY ON SUCH THINGS HAVEN'T YOU HEARD I LISTENED TO AN ENTIRE CHART OF MUSIC APPROVED BY A BUNCH OF INTERNET VIRGINS
>>
>>61409098
>autism
>>
>>61409036
yes but with noise I could sit down in front of ableton tinker for 2 hours and put out a 90 minute album. at least pop music or hip hop or pop punk or whatever you actually need to write lyrics and the song and make it presentable.
>>
>>61409106
That's shitty noise music. Proper noise music requires a lot more creativity and effort
>>
>>61409086
Then what makes music better than other music? Surely, u cant argue that all music is of equal quality?
>>
>>61409117
>implying merzbow doesn't do exactly that
>>
>>61409143
depends when. Now he kinda does but some of his albums are great. If you want structured noise I can rec you either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8qXMAtNCFo
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp40rW_7cN0
>>
>>61409143
>implying i said merzbow is good
His current stuff is bleh but his early shit is fucking good
>>
>>61408781
not true btw
>>
>>61408449
>Noise music
How does one hate something that doesn't exist?
>>
>>61408636
then talking is music
>>
because it barely counts as music in it's purest form.
I can take some elements but in general, noise artists do some of the most obnoxious music out there
>>
>>61410788
what is spoken word
>>
>>61408781
if you accept that free jazz is music you can accept that anything can be music; free jazz can lack consistent rhythm or consistent melody
>>
>>61410788
It's what rappers do so I guess you're right
>>
>>61410759
Now this
This is true autism
>>
>>61410796
not music
>>
>>61408972
>music theory or practice

Many talented, famous, and innovative musicians started writing with little to no formal training.
>>
there are regular noise generals here so I wouldnt exactly say thats true
>>
Awww, I still love noise.
>>
>>61408801
If anything ambient is a subgenre of minimalism which is a subgenre of classical you mong
>>
>>61410934
Yeah of maybe 15-22 devoted people of a forum of hundreds.
>>
>>61411230
I'd say 40 cause they sometimes archive the bump limit in one day
>>
That "noise guide" forum or whatever its called is filled with noise fans.
>>
>ITT: plebs thinking music is a ding an sich

inb4: epistemology once. Come up a real answer
>>
>>61411833
too many memes to be readable
>>
>>61408781
>>61408843

hurrrr durerrr=rrr look at me I can use definitions

from Merriam Webster:
>the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity

note that I don't subscribe to a "definition" of music, but you two are pretty much retarded.

>>61408853
>>61408972
>>61409098
>>61410821
>>61411833
agreed

talking, cars driving down the street, the wind in the trees are all music

it blows my mind how close-minded some of you are in regards to music
>>
>>61408449
I've never listened to any noise music. Can you recommend me something good?
>>
>>61412026
this 100%
>>
>>61412026
>talking, cars driving down the street, the wind in the trees are all music
>it blows my mind how close-minded some of you are in regards to music

lmao

saying that everything is music doesn't make you the smartest

it just makes you ignorant of what the word means

a field recording could be music, but not every noise of the wind is music

you fucking retard
>>
>>61412136
what is the difference? that it's recorded?

so live concerts don't create music?

if a field recording is music then why isn't the "source sound" music?

I mean I realize that "music" is a subjective thing so I don't claim to be objectively correct, it just seems dumb to have such a narrow view.
>>
>>61412136
>a field recording could be music, but not every noise of the wind is music
Why not? Give your definition or atleast WHY you think >>61412026 is a "fucking retard"
>>
>>61412191
>not every single noise is music
>such a narrow view
'no'

>>61412196
there is no scientific definition, it has to be case-by-case and subjective
>>
>>61412074
just FYI, /noise/ is one of the best generals on this board and the dicks in this thread (myself included) don't represent the whole

For starters:

Merzbow - Venereology

I am a Lake of Burning Orchids - Summer in My Veins

Prurient - Pleasure Ground

Merzbow - Merzbuddha

Pharmakon - Abandon

some of these aren't pure Noise, but are good intros (in my opinion)

>>61412252
>there is no scientific definition, it has to be case-by-case and subjective

So would you say that:

If someone is sitting on a park bench and the rustling of the leaves makes a sound that they consider "music", then that sound at that moment is music.

But if someone is in their room watching a film and a stick falls onto their roof but they pay no mind to it, then it isn't music?

I could agree with that
>>
>>61408781
>>61410808
This.
Noise has pretty much the same characteristics as free jazz.
Same goes for EAI, onkyo, field recordings, and free improv
>>
>>61412346
>So would you say that:
>If someone is sitting on a park bench and the rustling of the leaves makes a sound that they consider "music", then that sound at that moment is music.
>But if someone is in their room watching a film and a stick falls onto their roof but they pay no mind to it, then it isn't music?
>I could agree with that

yeah basically this is a good way to put it

it just upsets me when people falsely reason from "anything can be music" to "everything is music"
>>
>>61412410
yeah discussions about noise/onkyo/field recordings/lowercase outside of /noise/ and occasionally /bleep/ usually get me pretty needlessly defensive, thanks for the good argument/perspective
>>
>>61412488
I get overaggressive too but you must to get the replies you know :^)
>>
>>61412074
Pure - Fetor
Yellow Swans - Going Places
Aube - Sigh in Depressive Blue
>>
>>61410934
And funnily enough it's one of the more civilized and mature music discussions on this board
>>
>>61410811
Or rappers aren't musicians but are instead incredibly derivative poets
>>
>>61412026
Thank you. Almost did not think I'd see a post like this on /mu/
>>
>>61412026
>talking, cars driving down the street, the wind in the trees are all music
untrue
>>
>>61412812
a post this ignorant and incorrect? I actually see them all the time
>>
>>61412410
your definition is basically: sound is music when someone considers that sound to be music.

It's not a definition of what music is, but it rather describes the linguistic side of things. It says nothing about the term music itself
>>
>>61408636
I wouldn't call all noise sound art.
Music by definition is organized sound through time so some noise is made to be perceived as music in the sense of listening but sound art corresponds to the forms of creation in contemporary art. Understanding sound as a matter that the artist can shape as he wishes, like clay or something. Various forms of noise doesn't have any structure but present a sound in it's purest form, it's the length of the track the one that suggest the time for contemplating it.
For example, taking sound away from its time condition and putting it into the space (sound installation). The sound starts playing with the different elements of the environment.
>>
>>61413354
>Music by definition is organized sound
When will this meme die? It implies that one can distinguish organized sound from non-organized sound. I don't see how this can be defended from an epistemologic stand point.
>>
>>61412196
music is sound that is created with the intention of it undergoing an aesthetic evaluation. so wind isn't music until you record it and put it on soundcloud. there you go :)
>>
|0\
>>
>>61413553
>music is sound that is created with the intention of it undergoing an aesthetic evaluation
check >>61413467
>>
>>61408449
>Why does everyone hate Noise music?

The cross-cultural aspects of music are pretty simple:

meter based roughly around natural human patterns- ie. walking tempo = andante, breathing, pulse rate, 128 being the dance tempo of an elevated dancing pulse of a healthy person

a melody based around the vocal range of an average person, because this is what we hear when we're young. simulacra of motherhood or fatherhood

the limit to the human memory and human attention, ie. repetition.

a lot of noise music violates all of these things.
>>
>>61412026
that's cute and sappy, but still untrue
>>
>>61409286
not who you were responding too, but great recommendations! thanks!
>>
>>61408449
Most of it is boring as fuck and most noise artists are edgy fags
>>
>>61408781
>By definition music has some rhythm.
>>61408843
>Music has melody, however minimal it may be.

you dumb shit

>>61408972
There's shit music in every genre, that doesn't invalidate anything.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.