[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the "best" jazz albums (A Love Supreme, Kind of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
>the "best" jazz albums (A Love Supreme, Kind of Blue, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady) are actually the best jazz albums.
>the more you explore jazz the shitter the music gets

Being a jazz fan must be awful.
>>
Kenny G is better than any of those albums
>>
>>61402050
Well those aren't my favorites
Every genre has its most famous albums, but to say that those are the only worthwhile albums in the genre would be highly incorrect IMO
>>
>>61402196
I agree
Just exploring a certain label such as Blue Note or Riverside is very interesting and there are many gems
>>
>>61402212
I've been haunting the Prestige and Blue Note Catalog for a while now, and it's been such an amazing musical journey all the way through
Jazz is definitely one of the last she's to dismiss entirely, especially given the variety and distinctive qualities intrinsic to the genre
>>
>>61402245
>she's
I meant genres there
My phone can be ever so bothersome
>>
I like jazz, but I really don't like the saxophone, and it's featured so prominently on all the jazz I've listened to, which is pretty much all entry level stuff, except for one Sun Ra album (he may or may not be entry level, I don't know)
What is some jazz that uses other instruments more instead?
>>
File: 71MTcCvb3CL._SL1300_.jpg (161 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
71MTcCvb3CL._SL1300_.jpg
161 KB, 1300x1300
No, OP, you're wrong. There are many fantastic jazz releases beyond the most popular stuff. I've been listening to jazz for years, and I still find new, great stuff almost every time I search.
>>
>>61402280
Look into piano trios

>>61402300
What's your favorite jazz album, mate?
>>
>>61402280
>I really don't like the saxophone
autist
>>
>>61402336
I'm not sure if I can pick a definite favorite.
>>
>>61402372
Well, then pick a few!
>>
>>61402050
now if you'll look out the window to the right you'll see a full blown pleb!
>>
>inb4 contrarians claim those aren't the best jazz albums

oh wait..
>>
at least it's not shoegaze, that's just constant disappointment from the moment Loveless ends
>>
>>61402657
agreed, the worst part is the only other shoegaze album that even comes close is the previous release from the same band
>>
>>61402657
lol seriously tho
>>
File: 61hNN3thW3L[1].jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
61hNN3thW3L[1].jpg
64 KB, 500x500
>>61402280
>>
>>61402300
you really think that album is better than all three albums OP listed?
>>
>>61403060
this, check this out anon it's pretty accessible
>>
>>61402336
>>61403060
>>61403385
thanks fellas
>>61402365
the sound makes my teeth hurt
>>
File: albinidave2[1].jpg (90 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
albinidave2[1].jpg
90 KB, 400x550
>"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical 'adulthood'. To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside 'mere' rock music. This ostentatious display of 'sophistication' is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call 'jazz'. There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere. Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the 'free' zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good. The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the disappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap."
>>
>>61403863
what an insecure hack
>>
>>61403863
S A V A G E
>>
>>61403863
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
>>61402280
Anything by Bill Evans really
>>
File: cover.jpg (151 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
151 KB, 600x597
>>61402657
This might be worth checking out ;)
>>
>>61403863
I actually see what he means, and it's a fair criticism. There are quite a few jazz albums and individual songs with moments of interest followed by stretches of something that's not even tedium; it's more like the music is a ghost of what it could be with greater thought or competence.
>>
>27 replies
>nobody has posted an album that comes close to A Love Supreme
guess you were right OP
>>
File: cover.jpg (535 KB, 1415x1415) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
535 KB, 1415x1415
>>61406935
>>
>>61407023
I'll check it out
>>
>>61402280
Plenty. What albums have you enjoyed so far, and what in particular did you like or dislike about them (other than disliking the saxophones)?
>>
>>61406935
What about Walking Dark by Phronesis or Gently Disturbed by The Avishai Cohen Trio?

I mean, they're not really comparable, since they're after a very different (less harmonically-complex, speedy hard-bop; more rhythmically-intricate, harmonically simple post-bop) sound, but the playing, composition, and improv on both is absolutely phenomenal. Look to the later for that compositional coherency and world influences which so distinguishes A Love Supreme and some of Coletrane's earlier work with Monk, and the former for that exciting (but at all unstructured) improvisational approach which marked all of Coletrane's later work (at least, where he wasn't playing free).
>>
>>61402280
Bitch, listen to Paul Desmond.
>>
>>61403261
Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz
>>
>>61402096
... elevator music
>>
>>61402050
Jazz fans need Snarky Puppy in their life. Best new jazz band in a while.
>>
>jazz albums
>>
>>61408470
>berklee band

I'd rather not
>>
>>61402050
>actually the best jazz albums
>>61402196
>to say that those are the only worthwhile albums in the genre

But you see, child, he never did.
>>
>>61402050
>>the "best" jazz albums (A Love Supreme, Kind of Blue, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady) are actually the best jazz albums.
They aren't. They are still good, though.
>>
>>61402050
Even though those 3 albums are great. I think each of those artists have atleast 2 better albums. Also Black Saint is one of the most overrated albums of all time. It's barely even Jazz (not saying it's a bad thing but that album has almost no interplay and no improvisation).

And fully exploring Jazz should take you like 3 life times... The more you explore Jazz you understand it better and the more you understand it better you enjoy it more. Saying that I don't think Jazz is made to make people understand it. Jazz is about expression, statements, and emotions.
>>
>>61403863
people with that "punk" mentality have a really narrow view of a lot of things
take henry rollins basically dismissing electronic music as a whole, for example
>>
Why is jazz fusion so frowned upon? I've seen comparisons that jazz fusion to jazz is what poison is to metal
>>
>>61409882
because plens. jazz fusion with world music is top tier
>>
>>61403863
almost all of those points apply to rock and punk. the 'total freedom' bit is definitely more applicable to punk music
>>
>>61409882
Produced few good albums and most of it is rather bland, in a way becasue of ECM, even if that label has produced some masterpieces too.
>>61409898
>"World Music"
But yes, those are some of the good jazz fusion albums.
>>
>>61409793
>I think each of those artists have atleast 2 better albums.
well then why didn't you post them?
>>
>>61409753
what albums are better then?
>>
>>61409976
The one of those I like the most is A Love Supreme, and these are the jazz albums I like more than A Love Supreme.
1 John Coltrane - Ascension
2 Sun Ra - Atlantis
3 Art Ensemble of Chicago - People in Sorrow
4 Anthony Braxton - Saxophone Improvisations Series F
5 Evan Parker - The Topography of the Lungs
6 Cecil Taylor - Silent Tongues
7 Paul Bley - Improvisie
8 George Lewis - Chicago Slow Dance
9 Carla Bley - Escalator Over The Hill
10 Alexander Von Schilppenbach - Globe Unity
11 Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
12 George Lewis - Shadowgraph
13 Roscoe Mitchell - Sound
14 Evan Parker - Saxophone Solos
15 Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
16 Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
17 Don Cherry - Complete Communion
(18 John Coltrane - A Love Supreme)
>>
>>61409966
Because it's not relevant.

But for the record

>Miles
Miles Smiles, E.S.P

>Trane
My Favorite Things. Actually not sure if better but Blue Train and Coltrane Jazz are equal in my opinion.

>Mingus
Mingus x5, Blues & Roots
>>
>>61410025
>2 Sun Ra - Atlantis
>15 Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
>16 Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
come on m8...
>>
>>61410050
sun ra migtht be the greatest jazz musician ever. i mean how many artists inspired noise artists and pop divas at the same time. unmatched imo
>>
>>61410083
Noise is background music and pop divas are usually bad

Influencing other jazz artists > influencing lesser genres

And the influence of Sun Ra on Jazz musicians is really small compared to other great musicians.

Btw him having a lot of influence doesn't takes out the fact the he doesn't make good music,
>>
Oh look. A thread where 16 year olds are arguing about the 8 jazz albums they've heard. That's cute.
>>
>>61410137
all legit points but he was a master musician and i personaly really dig some of his music. the title track of atlantis was pure bliss and cosmos when i heard it while being sleep depraved after 2 nights of speed madness.
>>
>>61410187
ahh whatever floats your boat. I just dont really understand why someone would prefer his music over a lot of other stuff. his vibe is barely jazz.
>>
>>61410187
wow sounds like you really know what you're listening for.
>>
>>61402280
>What is some jazz that uses other instruments more instead?
You can search discogs as it list instruments (most of the time, if cd listed it)
As some example
trumpet -saxophone
then you filter by jazz only stuff.

the problem it will list also stuff where the artist has clarinet on name, album name or song name too

you can use -track:"trumpet"
to remove stuff with songs with trumpet on name, but it will remove albums with trumpet that has some song with trumpet on name
>>
>>61410289
>-track:"trumpet"
wait dont use it, I am testing it and I dont tink it does what I think it does
>>
>>61403863
>"HURR I Play guitar over drum machine and make rape jokes, SO EDGY"
Albini is a good producer but fucking worthless as a cultural commentator. He's just too much of a loser to enjoy anything without being all sarcy
>>
>>61402280
You might like some jazz flutists. I personally love that type of stuff. Very different flavor from most jazz. Herbie Mann, Yusef Lateef, Buddy Collette, and Jeremy Steig are my personal favorites.
>>
>>61408470
>Snarky Puppy
>not pandering, derivative trash

ok buddy :^)
>>
>>61402050
Jazz is like classical, except shit
>>
>>61402050
Is there a bigger jazz community site? Like azz equivalent of sites like Prog and Metal archives
>>
>>61402280
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Nbw2h3KXk
>>
>>61406935
ITS FUCKING SHIT STOP SHILLING THIS GARBAGE FUCK
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.