[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vaporwave Explanation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: Vaperwave.png (586 KB, 871x782) Image search: [Google]
Vaperwave.png
586 KB, 871x782
Can someone explain Vaporwave to me?
>>
meme
>>
meme
>>
>>61397869
AESTHETICS
>>
meme
>>
>>61397869
Imagine remixed music slowed down to less than 100BPM.
>>
use google and look it up yourself, you stupid trend hopping nigger
>>
its just Sade but slower
>>
What is there to explain about it.
>>
>>61397869
slowed meme aesthetics
>>
it's a aesthetic and music genre that used to revolve around capitalism and then just stopped having a definition but it's basically slowed down and cropped and spliced songs made to make a new song usually but there are some songs with no samples. Theres a twenty minute documentary on youtube
>>
>>61399411
That documentary is essentially a twenty minute advertisement for Dream Catalogue.

Avoid.
>>
>>61399701
not really

what even is wrong with dream catalogue?
>>
>>61399739
nothing

it's just a meme to hate dream catalogue when in fact they're a fine label
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpP0mXOlWM
this explains everything.
>>
>>61399739
>what even is wrong with dream catalogue?
http://tinyletter.com/mbmelodies/letters/make-believe-mailer-vol-6
>>
>>61399772
They've released some alright stuff but unfortunately they viral market their stuff here incessantly.

That and the owner, HKE, is a prentious tool that actually believes he is taking vaporwave to a new artistic level and that he is one of the original creators of what we know as vaporwave:

https://www.change.org/p/reddit-reinstate-cocainejesus-to-r-vaporwave
(actual change.org petition started by HKE)

>This petition is also a call to reinstate OESB (username: oesbee), one of the original creators of vaporwave along with HKE and Vektroid

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporwavepolitics/comments/3yl8q7/clearing_up_further_misconceptions_about_me/
>>
>>61399774
see >>61399701
>>
>take an 80's track
>match the tempo
>cut a section
>loop it
>add presets
>call it "art"
>>
>>61397869

Vaporwave, from what I've read, appears to be chopped and screwed "elevator music", which in this case means smooth jazz, etc. Also, like with all new subgenres of music, a lot of vaporwave is about the image factor, and now that we're in the internet age it's moved from being something you wear to being something you post.

And like all subgenres of music and so on, someone's going to do a really good job figuring out how to make this music work, usually people NOT committed to the image or being purists, instead mixing genres to synthesize better music. The rest just argue over semantics and wallow and shit until they get sick of it in however many years and move on to the next "new" subgenre, desperate to be hip culture's interlocutors.
>>
>>61399739
the correct question is what is right with Dream Catalogue?
>>
File: IMG_0130.png (182 KB, 180x258) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0130.png
182 KB, 180x258
>>61397869
check out girlwave, its like vaporwave but with more girls

/r/girlwave
>>
>>61399739
lol the same person who made the video has an album on dc under the same name. sure it starts out kind of neat but near the end he's just sucking hke's dick.
>>
File: vaperwave_fans.jpg (219 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
vaperwave_fans.jpg
219 KB, 1600x1067
vaperwave allows guy like me to masquerade as producer

i dare you to fucking tell me im not a record producer i'm the exact same as nile rodgers i have 3k soundcloud followers and get 18 comments on every video uploaded to artziemusic by youtube comments with anime avatar,s, fuck you
>>
File: Panzer-Dragoon_2.jpg (75 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Panzer-Dragoon_2.jpg
75 KB, 640x480
>>61397869
Plunderphonics using samples mostly from late 80's music and TV broadcasts, often touting an aesthetic that's not unlike the cutting-edge picturesque lifestyle in the late 80's/early 90's if it was thrown in a blender.

In other words, it's slowed down 80's pop music and japanese car commercials.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.