[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the Armond White of music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 300x279
Who is the Armond White of music?
>>
Legmond black
>>
Robert Christgau
>>
>can't tell if they're an uber try hard pleb or a genius patrician
>happens to be very intelligent, articulate, and snobbish
>also a contrarian

It's either Scaruffi or Christgau
>>
>>61394151
qwerty100
>>
>>61394170
underrated
>>
>>61394222
why do people pretend Christgau is a contrarian or snobbish? is it because everyone's too stupid to actually read the articles he writes and have to zero in on his lazy one-line consumer guide reviews from the '90s during a period when a lot of music he didn't like and they do like came out? it's fucking infuriating that the man who, along with Lester Bangs, made rock criticism a fucking artform is reduced to "le contrarian" because he didn't like your shitty sadboy screaming music (Slint) or le masters of le universe (Radiohead) as much as you think he should have. shut your fucking mouth and read his actual columns from the Village Voice, you disgusting fucking plebs. seriously, the Christgau meme is second only to the noise is not le music meme for stupidity and leddit influence on /mu/
>>
>>61394151
Scaruffi = Armond
Christgau = Ebert
>>
File: markkermodecreditbbc-LST069602.jpg (145 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
markkermodecreditbbc-LST069602.jpg
145 KB, 618x618
>>61394151
Who is Mark Kermode of music?
>>
>>61394309
Nice try. Slint and Radiohead are pleb shit. I was talking about Christgau giving albums like Desertshore a D+
>>
>>61394309
i didn't know you posted here robert
>>
>>61394352
okay, but disliking Desertshore is not contrarian. i agree with you that Desertshore is really good, but it's undeniably the contrarian position that Nico is worth anything within mainstream rock criticism, which is what Christgau epitomizes. i'm not saying his taste is good, but his influence is wide and deep and he basically defined what the canon is. to reduce him to some kind of edgy child because he stopped going with the mainstream directions of rock criticism in the '90s when it stopped being what he basically single-handedly made it is to be ahistorical and stupid.
>>
>>61394352
>posts contrarian opinion on slint and radiohead
>gets pissy over one guys opinion of top 10 scaruffi core
Dude nice
>>
>>61394151
Mark Prindle
>>
>>61394398
Mark Prindle is just a pleb who doesn't really consistently listen to anything other than buttrock. the Armond White of music criticism would have to appreciate canon high art up until a point and then suddenly have a completely inverted sense of artistry within the music industry
>>
>>61394425
I talked to Prindle about Devo for like an hour. He's a nice dude
>>
>>61394395
My problem with Christgau is that he doesn't even try to be objective, he really dislikes progressive rock for instance and it shows, and the fact that he has never reviewed a ton of all time classics ( Slowdive for instance)
>>
>>61394565
>Critic isn't objective
Critics should never be objective, they should never even try. Criticism =/= analysis. A critic exposes a point of view, something entirely subjective. An analyst tries to understand the inner orking of a piece and this tries to reach objectivity.
>>
>>61394425
buttrock normally refers to 80s hair metal/cock rock and later on, post-grunge

Prindle is a punk and hardcore guy

also it's unfair to say Prindle doesn't consistently listen to anything else when the guy's main claim to fame is reviewing the entire Miles Davis catalog even though he hates jazz

either way, Prindle isn't White -- Prindle's taste in the subset of music he covers is the "correct" one, and he calls out all the usual terrible music that everyone knows is terrible here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVYoCwoBHI

>>61394395
>it's undeniably the contrarian position that Nico is worth anything within mainstream rock criticism

That's a stretch. Bangs thought Nico's work was a thing of beauty.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.