[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is so fucking horri- >he died you know Wow it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: donuts.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
donuts.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
This album is so fucking horri-
>he died you know
Wow it's amazing we lost a real talent.
>>
literally reddit the belief
>>
> James Yancey, who had inaugurated his "alternative" career with the EP Ruff Draft (2002 - Stones Throw, 2007) under the moniker J Dilla, upped the ante of samples-based (and schizophrenically fragmented) hip-hop with Donuts (2006), credited to both his nicknames J Dilla and Jay Dee. This cauldron of 31 brief audio skits (that rarely exceed the two-minute mark) sounds like a mash-up of soul, easy-listening and soft jazz of the 1970s. Shuffling around fragments of lost vocal hits (Light My Fire, Two Can Win), hypnotic psychedelic loops (Waves, People), catchy instrumental jams (The Diff'rence), even a martial hard-rock riff (Walkinonit) and a great satire of industrial music (Da Factory), plus sociological parodies of commercials (Lightworks) and of mass hysteria (The Twister, one the surreal peaks), Yancey paint a vast fresco of the consumer society, a sort of digital version of what Frank Zappa used to do in the 1970s. Where it works, the project is a triumph of a phantasmagoria. Unfortunately, half of the album could have been trimmed away.
6.5/10
>>
Thats honestly how i feel. Its overrated as hell. Nothing special about it
>>
>>61384114
KILLER MIKE IS EVERYTHING

BERNIE SANDERS OR WE RIOT
>>
daily reminder this song has 300 samples god tier never been done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5azBmHDQvY
>>
File: Bazinga.jpg (10 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
Bazinga.jpg
10 KB, 300x279
rip

in the trash can
>>
you better stop and think about what youre doing op
>>
>>61384097
This was exactly with Nujabes
>>
did he clear all those samples? how did he sell this album and get away with it?
>>
Dilla is a master in sampling and is hugely influential.

/mu/ just circlejerks over this one release and not his massive discography for some reason. Donuts is god tier though.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7 KB, 426x72) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7 KB, 426x72
lol
>>
it's alright

it was never "horrible"
>>
>>61384097

pretty much motorhead over the past couple of days
>>
he's a great producer but this isn't his best work in the slightest, though it's still good. i mean, i'm not gonna be too hard on him, he made the thing on his death bed with one sampler. the emotion injected into it is what's really impressive, even though he didn't manipulate the samples that much. it does sound like the work of a dying man.
>>
He's one of the most legendary and respected producers in hip-hop, so the fact that he died DOES influence the impact of the album. The album released in the same week that he died. He was making the album with full knowledge that he was in his eleventh hour, and it would be the last piece of music he could create.

It's not like he died and people started retroactively liking it. The album was the final act of expression of a dying man.
>>
>>61384517
>>61384518
these guys know whats up
>>
>>61384097
This is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard in my life.

It sat in my libary as mediocre "muh dead man who made shitty proto kanye post gza beats" for a year or two.

and then I wanted to really know what the fuss is about.

Listen to songs like U-Love and Gobstopper, get famaliar with them and try to understand the beauty in his mortality, it's really for real the only work of music I have heard in my life with that post modern TRANSCENDENTAL quality, it's fucking..... it's beyond life, kind of his "rage against the dying of the light" kind of statement.

There's a rym review that puts it perfect let me find it.

In all seriousness, you guys should really look into it. No more neo /mu/ bullshit you fucking teenagers.
>>
>>61384590

it's been a long time since 2006 when i heard this for the first time alongside the roots Game Theory - both of which quite frankly went over my head at the time. Donuts more noticeably since i guess i didn't really understand dilla at the time. although if you don't understand dilla i don't really see how the roots' offering would make much sense either considering that still has to be the most emotionally-charged post-dilla death record i've ever heard. i probably just listened to "here i come" over and over again and totally passed over "can't stop this" b/c of it'slength. YEAH MAN LOUD RAPS GAME THEORY WOO. talk about weird. anyway i guess it didn't finally hit me until.....a year later?? yeah that sounds right. ever get the feeling like you've walked into a funeral service for someone you don't know but you're invited anyway? that's probably what this record is like for a lot of people. you show up and everyone seems nice and you save face and "oh wow i bet he really was a nice guy" but at the end of the day you're just sort of cycling through manufactured sympathies and while death doesn't really make you happy you know that deep down there's no knot in your stomach. is that bad?? well no. my problem is that with Donuts people hear this (and only this) and as the only document by jay dee in their library i'm 100% certain that you can't fully appreciate this in the way that those more familiar with slum village/tribe/de la soul/common/etc's discographies are. i was thinking about this earlier and wanted to write a review but it was going to be far too vitriolic with me calling out bandwagon types* but that doesn't help anything and really music is love and something with this much love in its core doesn't need an arm of raised veins clutching a sword to keep all the demons away. true people will come in. light guides.
>>
Wtf no. People dick ride Biggie and Pac because they died at the pinnacle of their careers and therefore have a stainless discography. For Jay, it actually fuckin matters because it adds to the story and passion behind this album.

Biggie didn't make fuckin Ready To Die on his death bed, working religiously knowing he can only make one more lasting memory on this planet before he fades away. Jay had months to go knowing he would die, and this is what we get out of it.

As a piece of music? It's like a 7/10. But as a piece of art and music history, it is unscorable.
>>
>ITT: Time: The Donut of the Heart is not the pinnacle of music
>>
>>61384615
this album (i say that a lot THIS ALBUM) in one swoop has essentially nullified beat tapes for me ever since i "got it" and i dunno it's like why even listen to others. it's so robotic. HERE ARE BEATS I HAVE COMPRISED. listen 2 them. thanx u. nothing against dudes like madlib but it's not the same. well no Dil Cosby Suite was something special. yeah. if Donuts is a phoenix falling apart in a whirlwind of embers then that beat konducta suite is like the ashes flying across the countryside and blessing the children with eternal life. oh god HA. that's so over the top but iiiii don't care. theres a lot of might here. it's moving. i've never cried to this album but it makes me Emotional. you know. a few days ago i was out for a walk and Stop came up and uuugughgh. if there was one song i could choose that'd just go on forever~, then itd be that one. but instead it's less than two minutes. that SUCKS right? nah actually it's cool because it also reinforces a lot of things i feel strongly about. moments don't last forever; love is but one patch in life's grand tapestry - move on/love on. cool, eh? 1:39 of heartache and my god i feel that's just enough because human <3s are so small and delicate.
>>
>>61384636
nvm read it ur self, pls https://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=28926474&id=28926474
>>
ALRIGHT WE GET IT YOU LIKE DONUTS. fucking americans
>>
>>61384622
This. Is a dead man's final means of expression in the only way he ever knew how. Dubs confirm.

Rip Dill
>>
>>61384502
tfw never listened to a Motorhead album, was going to, but then stopped myself because I'd feel like a bandwagoning piece of shit for doing so
>>
>>61384661
I'm suprised at /mu/'s lack of trying nowadays.

Instead of someone coming in and saying it's obviously good you just don't get it...yet, everybody listens to something once or twice and if they don't like it they all circlejerk over their collective plebbery and say it's shit without giving it another glance or maybe understanding that it's good, they just dont get it yet
>>
>>61384691
don't worry about it anon, they're just counterculture faggots
>>
>>61384728

As long as you don't claim they're your one of your favorite bands afterwards you'll be fine.
>>
nah but seriously how did he clear all those samples? aspiring sample fag here literally no one gives their shit up
>>
>>61384210
>circlejerk over Killer Mike
>"lol what's R.A.P. Music??"
>>
>>61384751
But you know what REALLY pisses me off? Almost every hip-hop artist who died was either a prick or deserved it. Only exceptions that come to mind are Sean Price, Nujabes and Dilla. Sean was well respected and celebrated, and Nujabes was kinda underrated for his time. But my god, EVERYONE loved Jay, even before his death. Kanye, Common, D'Angelo, Black Thought, Busta Rhymes, Q-Tip, Madlib, Nas, pretty much every artist from Detroit. Everyone else too. Yet people will still claim to this day Dill got hype of his death, when in reality the back story to Donuts is just emotional, inspiring and at the very least interesting as hell. The album isn't great out of context, but when you consider that this was a representation of a man's god damn life, his career, his final project on this planet that he will ever create, it's beautiful.
>>
>>61384553
>>61384518
>>61384517
Samefags
>>
HOW DOES HE DO IT WHY CANT I DO THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fuyUawGs8
TO THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwTyR6_kLjY
i shake with envy whenever I listen to this
>>
>>61384946
but those aren't edgy opinions... are you the guy who made the reddit posts?
>>
>>61384964
This song's one of the one or two that's legit made me cry.

I don't think what he did was hard, but crazy creative, like he saw exactly what to do with it
>>
>>61384215
stoupe and shadow.
>>
>>61384964
holy kek thats literally the original song with "boom boom chck" added on loop.

i mean i thought there was some integrity to sampling but I guess now
>>
>>61385027
KILL YOURSELF HERES A BETTER ONE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItQLvgJ-4No
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5azBmHDQvY
>>
>>61385027
thats y u need to listen to donuts, there's a lot of subtle crazy stuff, not that simple
>>
>>61385050
holy shit
>>
>>61384308
nujabes' music is fucking beautiful and his death was extremely sad. you don't have to like anything but please get over yourself.
>>
why did he have 2 kids when one is enough?

why are both his kids and mother starving now tgat he died and living on social insurance?
>>
>>61384857
No doubt man, even the new kids (capital steez RIP, and joey bad for ex) give shout outs to Jaydee and use his instrumentals. Jay will never be forgotten, his production is widely celebrated and will always be.
>>
>>61384857
man eazy e didn't deserve the aids gun...
>>
>>61385138
I think they're just talking to talk. I doubt most people even know Nujabes still. Shit the only reason I know nujabes is because I grew up watching adult swim bumps and watching Samurai Champloo and actually gave a damn about the music they used. I bet if I didn't watch any of that and you asked me who nujabes was I wouldn't be able to tell you.
>>
>>61385138
As much as I like nujabes, I feel like some of the rappers that he gets to hop on the beat kind of kill the song for me. When the song starts I'll be thinking
>Damn, this is pretty good
Then Shing02 comes in and the song's mood is ruined for me. Maybe if he got some rappers that were a bit more laid back in delivery, some of the songs could've been better.

and as much as people might disagree with me, I feel as though jojibeats is better than nujabes at times
>>
>>61385420
Well not every song is always going to be good from any one artist. I do very much enjoy joji's songs though, I just hope he actually does something with it. I got a whole comp of his songs so far and I really like what I hear so far.
>>
I didn't like it either. Was listening to similar music and had just finished listening to Since I Left You and Endtroducing but this album didn't strike me as anywhere near as good after those two. Shame too because my hopes were high after everyone talking about it all the time like it was the best thing ever. Didn't like the format of a bunch of short songs either.
>>
>>61384435
fucking pathetic
>>
>>61385138
I know his music was beautiful and his death was awful (along with Dilla's).
I'm just pointing out that people make threads like op's and will do the exact same shite for artists in the same genre.
I do like Nujabes as well though.
>>
>>61384097
>>61384308
hey did u know they were born on the same day
>>
File: .....jpg (91 KB, 800x457) Image search: [Google]
.....jpg
91 KB, 800x457
>>61385755
what the flying fuck.........
>>
>>61385782

>They died the same month 4 years apart

Illuminati?
>>
>>61385755
I've seen conflicting dates. Pretty sure Jun was actually born later in February, but now that people have picked this up and spread it everywhere it may as well be true. Whatever.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.