[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is most /mu/core actually a required listen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: Mu-core2012.jpg (514 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Mu-core2012.jpg
514 KB, 1000x1000
The /mu/ wikia says they're not, but I think they're just trying to be nice. 90% of the time if you don't know the albums on this list you'll probably feel left out of the conversation.

Discuss.

P.S, list might need slight updating, but the basic albums are there.
>>
kid a is awful but the rest is
>>
File: 800000 seconds in harar.png (260 KB, 397x399) Image search: [Google]
800000 seconds in harar.png
260 KB, 397x399
>>61381288
Hospice = not anymore bitch

replace it with this
>>
>>61381440
>>61381271
>>
definitely need pet sounds if you want to be a part of any proper circle jerk
>>
>>61381288
if you like indie rock, you have to listen to ITAOTS
if you like rock music, ITCOCK is required
if you like rap, TMS is required
if you like alternative, OKC is required
if you like classical or strings or anything like that, Lift Yr Skinny Fists is required
if you like alt and synths at all, Kid A is required

loveless sucks but you should try it out
>>
Out of those I've only heard Crimson King and Skinny Wrists and I don't feel very much left out.
>>
mucore is dead please stop talking about mucore in the year 2015 and beyond.
>>
>>61381288
Have never made it through more than 5 minutes of ITAOTS, have never made it through more than 5 minutes of MPP, have never made it through more than 5 minutes of hospice.

rest of /mu/ core is bretty gud.
>>
Listened to all but Hospice. Of all /mu/core, that's the only one that couldn't keep my attention.
>>
File: 1448791045949.jpg (195 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
1448791045949.jpg
195 KB, 500x749
>>61381583
>>
>>61381583
It's funny, these three are the only one I've listened to and I really liked them
>>
>>61381674
>>61381813
ok am listening to Hospice now and actually very much enjoying it.

I can say confidently I will never enjoy ITAOTS or MPP just cause I am not into the style.
>>
File: 1437441152889.jpg (17 KB, 380x428) Image search: [Google]
1437441152889.jpg
17 KB, 380x428
>>61381487
>if you like classical or strings or anything like that, Lift Yr Skinny Fists is required

You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>61381829
unlike Hospice, ITAOTS is actually good
>>
>>61381845
>know kid who loves Hans Zimmer
>"why doesn't anything in rock sound like this?????"
>send Lift Yr Skinny Fists
>"wow this is cool!"

why are you so mad?
>>
>>61381288
are you unable to think for yourself
>>
>>61381905
What? Do you understand what I'm saying? This isn't one of those "I just listened to this album, what did I think of it? threads, this is "do other /mu/tants feel that these albums are required listens to be comfortable on the board".
>>
>>61381288
i've only listened to 7 of those albums and i only like 4 of them and i only love 1 of them

i think the concept of mucore is outdated. most people wind up just hating on these albums to troll or be contrarians or other petty bullshit. the fact that two of these albums were made by radiohead, the most commercially successful "weird" band ever, proves that the concept of mucore is flawed
>>
>>61381288
>a required listen
Nah. I still haven't listened to ITAOTS, ITCOTCK, or MPP, and it's been so long since I listened to OKC, Hospice, Kid A, and MBDTF that I'd hardly feel confident discussing them.

There's enough pockets and niches so that you don't have to listen to all of or even half of the essentials to feel comfortable.
>>
File: thistbhfam.jpg (16 KB, 500x170) Image search: [Google]
thistbhfam.jpg
16 KB, 500x170
>>61381487
I agree
>>
Some of these are so good though. My favourites are Godspeed and TMS
>>
>>61381487
>if you like rock music
>>
>>61381845
It has elements of classical music in it, but it's post rock...
>>
Nobody gives a shit about what you listen to in real life,just listen what you want Anon
>>
File: file.png (825 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
file.png
825 KB, 800x800
>>61381487
>if you like rap, TMS is required
I wouldn't say this. Death Grips is a lot more experimental and harsh than your average rap album.

I'd say this is your essential "if you like rap, you MUST listen" album.
>>
>>61381436
edgy
>>
>>61382530
that is an absolutely fair statement

for me though, i think TMS is great to show rap fans just hwo out there the genre can get. It's not quite Dalek level out there, but still
>>
>>61381436
Kid A, but not OK Computer?
>>
>death grips
>>
File: Berserker-SCII.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Berserker-SCII.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
Tfw when on /mu/ for 4 years and have never listened to Radiohead
>>
loveless itaots and itcotk are
other than that its just essential for fitting in on /mu/, and why would you want to do that
>>
MBDTF, ITAOTS, Ok Computer, ITCOTCK, and Loveless are required listening,
>>
>>61381288
In The Aeroplane, Loveless, OK Computer, Lift Your Skinny Fists and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy are good

the rest is really mediocre, except for Hospice which is terrible
>>
>>61382867
illmatic is better
>>
>>61383611
Honestly, if you didn't listen to /mu/core before coming here, there's no way you can look at it with anything approaching an objective eye after spending some time here. The constant ultra-positive and ultra-negative discussion scrubs away any other influence.
>>
It helps but discussion on those albums is always pretty shitty anyways. I've never loved any of the main /mu/core stuff, but a lot of the other stuff talked about here is great.
>>
>>61381487
>not liking Loveless
Is this like a new fucking meme or something?
>>
>>61384004
different guy, I agree
I, similarly, had only heard OK Computer a long time ago when I first started coming to /mu/ and barely remember it

but after browsing /mu/ for a year I listened to Kid A and remember thinking it was trash

it probably wasnt actually that bad, I was just too far away from being able to give in an open honest chance
>>
I really love about half of /mu/core
the other half I can't stand

I think it's all worth listening to because these albums are great for introducing you to more niche genres. at least that's what they did to me.
>>
>>61384189
same here except I like all of them (except for the Radiohead ones which I'm still trying to like and Hospice which bored me to death)
>>
>>61381288

Hospice no, that's not even /mu/core anymore, there's probably a hundred+ albums discussed more than it. You could probably avoid MPP, MBDTF, and TMS but the rest are a lot harder to avoid.
>>
>>61381288
The Antlers is a sort of an odd choice, but a lot of people on here like emo and feelsy shit so I guess it makes sense. The only reason there are two Radiohead albums is because of pitchfork lists, I don't think it's really that important to listen to both. OKC is probably a good enough intro to their mix of rock and electronics, and a listener can move forward from there.

I don't really love any of those albums, except for maybe Loveless (how ironic), but I think it's a good starter kit for someone who wants to learn the major genres of /mu/: memes, indie, p4k, anco, shoegazi, DG, prog, feels, etc..

Geez there should be some older albums on there. No TVU&N? No Pet Sounds? No TMR? No RiL? Maybe not those specifically, but there are definitely some older albums that are talked about a lot on here.

>>61384549
Anco and DG are talked about quite a lot, and that Kanye album is basically an intro to the sound of most post-2010 hip hop.
>>
>>61384748
>>61384549
This chart is about 3 years old. It came out in mid-to-late 2012. It's been inaccurate for at least 2 years. Hospice was hated/loved constantly back then.
>>
>>61384748

I feel like Kanye, AnCo, and DG fans usually stick to their own threads though, whereas the other six (not including Hospice) show up a lot more elsewhere.

>>61384793

Yeah I know, I was just going off the OP.
>>
I'd say you should listen to them all eventually. Everyone likes music for the same reason deep down, it makes you feel something, anything. All those records are pretty spaced out on the genre map, so they're all good jumping off points for tons of good music, which is what the entire point of this fucking board is. to share and discuss musics.
>>
>>61381583
>Have never made it through more than 5 minutes of ITAOTS, have never made it through more than 5 minutes of MPP

those are the two best albums on there you tasteless faggot
>>
>>61384161
no it was honestly horrible
>>
>>61381288
These albums get more hate than praise on here. Maybe except for Loveless and ITCOTCK.
>>
>>61385431
It's not for everyone. Your opinion isn't objective.
>>
>>61385452
because it's cool to hate them
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.