[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hip-hop is the most lyrically impressive genre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 949x940) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 949x940
Hear me out, ok? Before you spam this thread with "go back to Nigeria you fuckin nigger" or "wew lad nice copypasta" or just spouting insults like "pleb", bear with me for a minute. If I am genuinely a pleb, you can let me know by giving a constructed argument against what I'm about to say instead of spewing buzzwords.

All my life, I've heard the generally accepted idea that rock is good, hip-hop is bad. Rock is substance filled, hip-hop is about bitches, money, drugs, and violence. Even on this board, your asshole is torn apart if you even DARE to say hip-hop is a respectable genre. Why is this? Is this because of some form of racism? Is this because of cherry picking due to the popular media portraying "bangers" as the representation of hip-hop as a whole? I myself cannot give many examples without sounding like I am generalizing, but it seems that although the "pleb" side of hip-hop is usually vapid nonsense, this is only a fraction of it. Whereas "rock" seems like it is mainly dominated by bullshit. I know on this board when most people refer to rock or whatever they're speaking on its various sub-genres (indie rock, math rock, post-rock, etc.), and even if I do enjoy these styles myself, but why are they so above hip-hop? Even if hip-hop has a history of being "non-lyrical", one can plainly see that it offers a format that begs for rich lyricism and offers a convenient and logical way to deliver said lyrics. But EVERY time I indulge in even the pinnacle of folk, rock, punk, etc., I find simplistic and pretentious lyrics and arrangements when compared to the potential of hip-hop. Sure, hip-hop may be more straight forward but does the music have to be so mind-numbingly "deep" and "artistic" that it goes beyond average human comprehension? I'm not saying every song should be "killin all dese snitches, fuckin all dese bitches", just the hip-hop as a form of art offers a more poetic approach to music.
>>
music with lyrics is awful
>>
wow this isn't even a pasta
>>
>>61380401
Hip-hop has some great lyricists, BUT SO DO OTHER GENRES YOU BIG DUMMY
>>
>>61380401
All popular music is pleb
If you're looking for high art look elsewhere
Hip hop is for the most part filled with poor English and too many perfect rhymes, it's not impressive.
Hip Hop is a format that begs for rich lyricism, because the music is so mind numbingly plain and repetitive, but rarely do we get lyrics rich enough to elevate the music.
>>
>>61380541
> high-art is only old epic poems, renaissance-Dutch goldenage paintings and sheet music
>>
>>61380401
1. refer to this >>61380518
2. poetry is dead, hip-hop and rapping has really supplanted it. But even then, most rappers and lyricists have no care for utilizing literary devices.

Niggas on the Moon has the greatest lyrics of any release in the last 10 years

fact
>>
>>61380605
>poetry is dead

aaaaaaaand the record for amount of wrong in one post has been breached
>>
>>61380605
>poetry is dead
Just because you don't read contemporary poetry doesn't mean its dead
notm is phenomenal though
>>
>>61380460
Fair argument if you don't enjoy lyrics anyways. Do you enjoy instrumental hip-hop/turntablism?
>>61380490
:-(
>>61380518
That's true. My point was, hip-hop has an abundance of talented writers when compared to other genres. That's why hip-hop instrumentally is viewed as repetitive and simple, because that's just not where the focus should be.
>>61380541
>All popular music is pleb
Underground hip-hop is more artistic than other "patrician" genres. Pop rap is more fun that other "pleb" genres.
>Hip Hop is a format that begs for rich lyricism, because the music is so mind numbingly plain and repetitive, but rarely do we get lyrics rich enough to elevate the music
Hm, I see your point. I think that since the rapper's lifestyle is glamorized, everyone tries to be a rapper. This saturates "the game", so although there's a butt ton of your run of the mill trap rappers and just shitty rappers in general, what comes out of the over-saturation is something poetic and beautiful.
>>61380592
This too. As I already stated, I don't think music should be dumbed down or simplified per-say, just that hip-hop has a good balance of (dare I say) "patrician" and "pleb" elements.
>>
>>61380605
>poetry is dead
Objectively false.
>But even then, most rappers and lyricists have no care for utilizing literary devices
Hip-hop is basically driven by metaphors and similes. If we're taking relatively complex literary devices, then sure, but that goes for all genres.
>Niggas on the Moon has the greatest lyrics of any release in the last 10 years
I disagree. That was a fairly solid release but I don't think it was even the best in regards to lyricism in hip-hop in the past 2 years, or even this year
>fact
Music is objective (except for tastes), lyrics are subjective.
>>61380633
>>61380636
Thank you
>>
>>61380401
First of all, Anon, even if this isn't a pasta, you sound exactly like one. Second of all, the people who would call you a pleb or a nigger for liking hip-hop are people with ignorant opinions, so who gives a fuck about what they think? Third of all, while I agree hip-hop has plenty of great lyricists, I wouldn't say that it's lyrically superior to any genre. I think all genres have their great lyricists, hip-hop just has a unique style.
>>
>>61380763
Who in hip-hop has done a better James Joyce impression than MC Ride?
>>
>>61380794
>you sound exactly like one
Pasta is usually extremely hyperbolic, caustic, preachy and forcing. I was just addressing both sides while asking questions to other people on this board.
>long=cringe
No wonder there hasn't been much serious conversation on here the past couple years
>the people who would call you a pleb or a nigger for liking hip-hop are people with ignorant opinions, so who gives a fuck about what they think?
I care because it pollutes this board and it's nonsense, and all you can do at this point is question why they even do it? I want everyone to be able to freely discuss music regardless of genres, but it seems like you're fuckin ostracized and belittled if you enjoy hip-hop. I'm not personally offended, I just feel like it overall worsens this board
>while I agree hip-hop has plenty of great lyricists, I wouldn't say that it's lyrically superior to any genre. I think all genres have their great lyricists, hip-hop just has a unique style
Ok, so at the least we can agree hip-hop is not inferior to other genres lyrically? My point was, hip-hop is the perfect format for music in regard to a poetic approach. Even if no one took the opportunity of using this format (they do), it still offers artistic freedom unmatched by other popular genres (and some unpopular genres). AND that the "lyricists" that do exist are somewhat better than "lyrcisists" of other genres.

tl;dr even if you disagree that hip-hop is the best in these fields, it deserves respect. Or at least more than it fuckin gets
>>
>>61380811
Good point
>>
I don't care about the OP's point or the counterarguments, just dropping in to say that pic related is fantastic
>>
>>61381202
Ok. Cool.
>>
>>61380633
>>61380636
just because people are still writing poetry doesn't mean it's alive. It has long lost all meaning and attachment to reality thanks to folks like Joyce and Stein and a complete disregard for the world to play with ideas and concepts

i'm a fan of that stuff, but it's absolutely killed poetry for the masses

>>61380811
that was absolutely my point and frame of reference when calling NotM the best
>>
>Even on this board, your asshole is torn apart if you even DARE to say hip-hop is a respectable genre. Why is this?
hip hop is the most popular genre right now and people who dont like it are going to be vocal because they are constantly exposed to it.
>Is this because of some form of racism?
mostly not, this is a very liberal website.
>Is this because of cherry picking due to the popular media portraying "bangers" as the representation of hip-hop as a whole?
most people on here have heard some critically acclaimed albums in all the popular genres, including hip hop.
>>
>>61380938
>long=cringe
I never said that. What I meant was that large posts stating unpopular opinions sound like pastas. My point was that going into /mu/ saying hip-hop should be respected is like going to /pol/ saying black people should be respected. Your point may be right, but you're going to a place that won't listen, so why try?
>I care because it pollutes this board and it's nonsense
There's still discussion of hip-hop, it's just punctuated with "THIS DICK AIN'T FREEEEEEEEEEEE!" The people who don't like hip-hop will never like hip-hop. It's not a matter of reason; there mind is already made up.
>Ok, so at the least we can agree hip-hop is not inferior to other genres lyrically?
Yes, I agree. Hip-hop is a very lyrically-focused genre, but saying that it is superior to other genres is a generalization too.
>>
>>61380401
no one is defending shit like acdc or 80s stadium arena metal or even some of the more mindless beatles songs as having 'lyrical substance'
>cherry picking false equivalency etc
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.