[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is /mu/ too pleb for Jazz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: Bitches_brew.jpg (58 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Bitches_brew.jpg
58 KB, 300x300
Why is /mu/ too pleb for Jazz
>>
>>61371927
I like jazz my son wants to be a jazz pianist aha
>>
>>61371927

>"You don't have to actually sit down and compose thoughtful music! Just play a bunch of random notes and people will call you a musical genius!"

Jazz is an inherently flawed genre.
>>
>>61371953
That's a nice fake strawman you set up
>>
>>61371953
except jazz is composed... (and since you're comparing it to classical presumably, classical is improvised...)
>>
>>61371953
>compose thoughtful music

This is true, why aren't there more vocals and lyrics instead of all that horn nonsense?
>>
>>61371953
Improvisation in jazz isn't just playing "a bunch of random notes," it's based on chord progressions. Please refrain from posting that kind of shit if you're just some rockist/poptimist with no knowledge of music theory whatsoever.
>>
>>61372009

Creating lyrics means you'd have to think about actually putting meaning into your music. That's too hard, so just play whatever on the trumpet.
>>
>>61372087
>Creating lyrics means you'd have to think about actually putting meaning into your music.
Do you honestly think Rock and Pop shitters do this?
>>
>>61371927
>calls other plebs for not liking jazz
>posts a rock album that is only considered jazz by the very same people who don't like jazz
>>
>>61371927
i don't like the jazz you posted
>>
>>61372111

Music is just sound. It can sound nice, but it's empty. Lyrics give the song a voice, literally and figuratively, and give you something to think about.
>>
>>61371953
Almost all composers use improvisation at some point you complete retard. A lot of classical pieces were mostly or entirely based on improvisation.
>>
>>61372113
>posts a rock album that is only considered jazz by the very same people who don't like jazz
What a load of bs lol. You don't know any jazz fans my dude.
>>
>>61372113
>Bitches Brew isn't Jazz
>Music for 18 Musicians isn't Classical
>Nor is Josquin's missa l'homme arme
Nice shitty opinion.
>>61372129
You don't like Jazz?
>>61372151
Yeah if only Bach and Mozart weren't so EMPTY.
>>
>>61372152

Only at some point though. Most of it, and in all rock music too, have it so the notes go to places that make sense and there are discernible melodies and structures. Jazz sometimes has an actual tune for the first couple minutes, but it always just goes into meaningless wanking. Rock music can have a guitar solo, but usually it doesn't take over the whole song like they do in jazz music.
>>
Anyone have that live video from Miles Davis's electric band? it was bomb
>>
>>61371953

this is some next-level b8
>>
>>61372231
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSFSdcGPLM

nvm aha
>>
>>61372201
>but it always just goes into meaningless wanking
You realize how ignorant and uneducated you sound ? There is no such thing as meaningless wanking in jazz, just passages you can't handle for it lacks a melody for your attention to fall back to.
>>
/mu/ is still too pleb for jazz
>>
>>61371927
I grew up with that shit so I love it, but I can understand that it's not for everyone
What's your favorite jazz album, OP?

>>61371953
Nah
>>
>>61372255
>you can't handle for it lacks a melody for your attention to fall back to.

That's like saying you're stupid for being confused at a movie that has no story for your attention to fall back to, or you're stupid for not liking a book that's just filled with random nonsense words. Sorry I'm too pleb to enjoy randomness like the patricians do.
>>
>>61372540
>What's your favorite jazz album, OP?
Personal favorite is Chick Corea - Return to Forever or Eddie Daniels - Breakthrough
but A Love Supreme is all time for me
>>
>>61372556
Well first of all, it's not a requirement for films to be plot-driven
Second of all, soloing and improv is not random; the use of chord tones and chromatics evolving from the traditions of early bebop are often carefully selected and orchestrated in advance

And if you don't want that, listen to early jazz and swing, as well as cool jazz. Jazz as a whole is far too diverse too dismiss
>>
>>61372151

I don't know how to explain it, but to me, jazz feels very vocal.
>>
>>61372613
*to
Why did my autocorrect fuck up so badly

>>61372594
My overall favorites:

>Don Cherry- Orient
>Monk- Brilliant Corners
>Bill Evans- Waltz For Debby
>Getz/Gilberto
>Ellington At Newport
>Charlie Parker With Strings
>>
>>61371953
>people falling for this obvious b8
Oh /mu/
>>
>>61372151
Lyrics and words are simply ways of expressing certain ideas. Musical motifs can convey all of those same ideas just as effectively (hence the existence of The Four Seasons and similar pieces)
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (561 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
561 KB, 1000x1000
This is the best jazz album
>>
>>61372734
Have you heard Live At Cafe Bohemia? Fantastic Jazz Messengers performance
>>
>>61372734
Who the fuck are you to judge?
>>
>>61372750
yeah vol.1 has soft winds which is a god tier song
>>61372762
its my opinion
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 499x498) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 499x498
>>61371927
Because we've been updated to J-Dilla
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fqOHA3EHU
He saved my life.
>>
>>61372795
Definitely
I always felt Art Blakey was an incredibly effective bandleader and I always loved performing his tunes when I was in jazz band

What other jazz albums do you like?
>>
>>61372795
>its my opinion
Then please don't say "This is the best jazz album" like some kind of kid looking for cred.
>>
>>61372198
Music for 18 Musicians is definitely classical, but it'd be completely erroneous to post it as the poster child for classical music.

In the same vein, I can see what the person you're replying to means about saying "Bitches Brew isn't Jazz"

They're wrong, but they're trying to say that it isn't a good poster child for jazz because it isn't standard.
>>
>>61372849
too many to name probably but my other top five:
Cannonball Adderley - Cannonball Enroute
Wayne Shorter - Schizophrenia
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard, Volume 2
Miles Davis - Dig
Theo Jörgensmann - Laterna Magica
>>
because every jazz thread is incredibly, and I hate this word, pretentious.
like, all of /mu/ works under a pretense and is contrarian and elitist, but jazz threads especially are just filled JTG and people trying to show off rather than discuss or have any sort of fun. that's all blindfold test threads are, and everyone says those are the best jazz threads on /mu/ so you know something is wrong.
>>
>>61371927
it's shit

https://youtu.be/TE7949ypVCw?t
>>
>>61371927
Get your fusion out of my fucking board
>>
>>61373096
>I've literally never been in any jazz thread on /mu/ but I'll make assumptions anyway
>>
>>61371927
>anyone is too pleb for Bitches Brew
sure thing
>>
>>61372556
>That's like saying you're stupid for being confused at a movie that has no story for your attention to fall back to
Please stop. Or no, go ahead, insult poetry or something now, so we know you really snob patricians.
>>
>>61372113
Hey Wynton how are your bros doing? Is everything fine in the Marsalis family?
>>
Depends who you ask. I consider Miles's psychedelic era the most pleb, considering that it mostly attracts edgy teenagers. I prefer his hard-bop and modal stuff the most.
>>
>>61371953
Obviously bait, and pretty good bait too. But the fact is, there ARE people that believe this and it's mind boggling.
>>
>>61375011
>>61375160
all of jazz is ignored don't be faggots
>>
File: 51Gh03v7nJL._SY300_[1].jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51Gh03v7nJL._SY300_[1].jpg
19 KB, 300x300
Art Tatum masterrace here.
>>
>>61371953
>I've never heard of swing jazz
>>
I can sympathize with both sides. I've been in jazz ensembles in school for most of a decade. I understand what all's going on, but it's definitely something I like playing more than listening to. The soloing can drag on, and it does oftentimes.

Improv is a great tool, but even the best musicians I've heard aren't always doing something interesting, Coltrane and Davis included. I understand the theory and everything, yet I still don't always "get" the appeal.
>>
>>61371953
>random notes

EPIIIIICCCCC
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.