[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular Opinions: /mu/ Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 22
File: PretentiousFans.jpg (262 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
PretentiousFans.jpg
262 KB, 1600x1066
ITT we post our unpopular opinions related to /mu/, I'll start.

I fucking hate Andrew Jackson Jihad. I hate his voice, I hate Folk Punk in general, I hate their fans, I hate all of it.

All of their fans that I know personally are insufferable assholes that circlejerk about anarchism and other stupid bullshit.

Tl;dr: fuck Andrew Jackson Jihad, I hate them.
>>
but its good for moshing, yeah?
>>
>>61358768
Not really imo.
>>
>>61358749
I feel the same way about that band.
>>
>>61358749
its called anti folk you sad shit cuckhold
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 594x398) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 594x398
>>61358749
She is hotter than any "Queen" of /mu/
>>
>>61358791
Thank fuck. Just about everywhere I go, people rub one out every time I mention them.
>>
Morrissey's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and therefore I really don't like The Smiths. Kanye is a mediocre-at-best rapper. Guns 'n' Roses were awful even in their heyday because Axl Rose has one of the least tolerable singing voices ever recorded. Trap music is indefensibly awful, how the fuck can you bear to listen to drums like that?
>>
>>61358814
AJJ have one good album at best
>>
>>61358805
I can dig it. She's relatively cute.
>>
>>61358829
I can agree with G'n'R and Trap. I like Kanye, respect your opinion though.

Obviously you're not a fan of The Smiths, but how do you feel about The Cure?
>>
>>61358832
People Who Can Eat People had one song that I can kind of tolerate sometimes if I'm drunk enough.
>>
>>61358805
Who is this semen demon?

Is it Goswell? If it is there's Bilinda you Oasis worshipper
>>
>>61358883
Singer for Slowdrive. Rachel something.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (4 KB, 218x160) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
4 KB, 218x160
>>61358805
>tfw no qt3.14 shoegaze gf
>>
>>61358883
It's goswell.

Also want more of my pleb taste?
I think Slowdive is better than MBV.

I can't argue against MBV being more important than Slowdive. I just like Slowdive's sound more.
>>
I don't understand hating artists, unless you're constantly hearing them against your will (pop artists being played in public places/radio, etc.).

If I don't like something, I just say it's not for me and move on. I don't know where /mu/ finds the passion to so aggressively put down all these bands.
>>
>>61358918
souvlaki spess station is literally the greatest shoegaze song ever composed so I completely agree with you
>>
>>61358945
Wow that's a first on /mu/
>>
>>61358942
I actually more or less have a reason. My brother, cousins, two of my childhood friends, and two of my teachers (one from high school and one from college) would play them FUCKING INCESSANTLY. It drove me up the god damned wall.
>>
There are lots of extremely important, influential albums that sound like garbage if you've heard any of the albums they've influenced

>>61358749
I agree with you.

>>61358829
I don't think your view of Kanye is at all controversial; it's widely acknowledged that he's a much better producer than rapper.
>>
>>61358970
First time for everything famalamadingdong.
>>
>Shoegaze is trash
>Death Grips is trash
>Young Thug is trash/trap is absolute shit
>>
>>61358749
That's not an unpopular opinion at all family
>>
TBAP was good. Not aoty, not shit, just good.
Jenny Death lived up to the hype
Marrow of the Spirit is better than The Mantle
Electric Wizard's later albums are great
>>
This has been the general opinion on /mu/ about AJJ for as long as I've been posting here.
>>
>>61359009
>people thinking Young Thug is good

Get a load of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzRGqoSKd3E&index=4&list=FLre4Se0k-BVSZ5MZIFQtLjw

Also, I'm relatively neutral about shoegaze.
>>
>>61358986
that's pretty understandable then
>>
>>61359036
GKMC was better imo. I would've liked TPAB better if it took on GKMC's narrative style. Not to knock on TPAB, I still enjoyed it, but by god is it over hyped. Thanks a lot Antoine Fandango.
>>
Montage of Heck, the documentary, as a work of art was more worthwhile than anything Cobain himself made.
>>
>>61358805
This is not an opinion, though. It is a fact.
>>
I don't understand why Wavves get so much hate. Yeah, Nathan is kind of a dipshit, but still I enjoy their music.
>>
File: 2732082_orig.jpg (48 KB, 594x331) Image search: [Google]
2732082_orig.jpg
48 KB, 594x331
The entire 1980s and a bit of the early 1990s were the musical dark ages.
>>
>>61359123
I would agree if it weren't for The Cure.
>>
Eminem is shit. All he does is whine and cry in his songs.
>>
>>61359046

people will defend that tho

>m-muh flow
>i-its ironic
>hes a genius, u just dont get it mayne
>>
>>61359123
>entire
>>
>>61359087
airbag yourself
>>
File: img.png (513 KB, 834x539) Image search: [Google]
img.png
513 KB, 834x539
>>61358749
I would say less people on /mu/ like them than people who do. I like them much less than I used to, but I still thing the Bunny album is alright.

Real unpopular opinon: The soundtrack to Undertale and Citizen Zombie were, by far, the best albums of 2015.

How's that?
>>
>>61359143
People use his flow as an argument? Holy fuck, he has all the flow of a dried creekbed.

What if Birdman took him under his wing (no pun intended) to create a real life manifestation of musical shitposting.
>>
>>61359123

it wasn't tho

>post punk
>p. much all "electronic music" created between 85-90 or so (hip hop, house, techno, trance, dnb, and the shitload of subgenres)

just because it was a bad decade for rawk/folk doesn't mean music wasn't flourishing elsewhere
>>
>>61359166
Nice dubs, but MGSV Soundtrack > Memertale. Citizen Zombie was nice though.
>>
>>61359123
fuck you, Morphine started in the 80s
>>
>>61359123
post punk and goth rock my dude
>>
>>61358749
People on /mu/ tend to hate AJJ because they have 1 or 2 songs that express SJW-ish views and 4chan faggots are incredibly insecure.

Personally they're one of my favorite bands. The latest album is shit, though.
>>
Townes Van Zandt was a better songwriter than Bob Dylan.
>>
>>61359227
My worst interaction with an AJJ fan was an psuedointellectual egomaniac Australian crossdresser who's vehemently opposed to any form of substance use.
>>
most dadrock, and dadfolk is really fucking good
>>
>Indie rock is completely fucking dead; there hasn't been a good new indie rock album released in years
>Listening to music "ironically" is for retards
>The 2000s were probably the worst decade for popular music ever; I matured during them and they were fucking horrific
>K-Pop is the worst genre of music besides Christmas music
>Grimes is pretty rad

>>61359123
The late 80s through like 1990, you mean. The early and mid 80s were fucking god-tier.
>>
Fascist music is actually really good, independently of the political affiliation
>>
>>61359205
To be fair, I HATE the Undertale fan base, but I can remove myself from it enough to still enjoy it and the soundtrack.

I'm a sucker for Earthbound/Mother and RPG shit in general.

MGSV was real good, but kind of a let down. I didn't really play as much vidya this year as I usually do.

>>61359123
You just turned this into an 80s love thread bby.

Talking Heads, Minor Threat, SPK, Pale Cocoon, Foetus, Swans, Negativland, Talk Talk, The Smiths, and The Cure, bitch.

But if you're talking about popular music, then yeah, you're kind of right.
>>
>>61358749
i love folk punk but i gotta say i agree with you, AJJ is sorta garbage, and they also seem like cheeky cunts too.
>>
>>61359194
That was part of the problem too though. The synthesizers people had were just kind of shit back then, but everybody felt the need to use them anyway. Combine that with the incessant gating and reverb they felt the need to put on every snare drum, the chorus effects layered on every vocal track, and you have that quintessential 80s sound that makes me claw my ears off.

I'm not saying it was all bad, but i would say the ratio of good music to bad was skewed pretty heabily towards bad in the 1980s.
>>
>>61359283
Everyone thinks the decade they came of age in was the worst for pop music, you should hear my parents shittalk Billy Joel
>>
>>61359283
>Indie rock is completely fucking dead
Pretty much yeah

>Listening to music "ironically" is for retards
Dolphinately

>The 2000s were probably the worst decade for popular music ever
Just about

>K-Pop is the worst genre of music
Besides Folk Punk

>Grimes is pretty rad
Meh.
>>
>>61359283
Agreed with the first statement actually, but I think it's been dead since the dawn of p4k and commercializing "indie" rock into alt rock with a hip aesthetic.

Ironic music isn't bad, but listening to music ironically is.

I honestly think the 10s will be much worse

Djent is worse

Grimes sucks
>>
>>61359322
Nice dubs. And this made me laugh for some reason.
>>
>>61359314
Haven't really played any recent vidya besides Undertale, MGSV, and Hotline Miami 2. And RPGs are my shit nigga, Morrowind has a god tier OST
>>
>>61359322

well that is pretty different than calling it "the Dark Ages of music"

Maybe the Dark Ages of Rock but it was the fucking Enlightement/Renaissance as far as electronic music went. In the span of like 7 years entire electronic music genres were created. Every electronic music genre that's still being played today was laid at the end of the 80s
>>
>>61359355
Rule of thumb is that if p4k can ruin it, p4k will ruin it.
>>
>>61359314
80s hater here. Talking Heads, Minor Threat are good, The Cure are ok, The Smiths are meh, and Swans are a fucking travesty. The others I don't know anything about.
>>
The Strokes are garbage except for Angles
Sufjan Stevens is boring except for C&L, The BQE and Enjoy Your Rabbit.
The first 8 Mariah Carey Albums are awesome.
Joanna Newsom's singing voice is annoying
also Have One on Me > Ys
Bjork's singing voice is annoying
HAIM is excellent
ITAOTS is the worst album ever made
Beat Happening is garbage
Death Cab for Cutie is garbage
Florence + the Machine is extremely boring
Peace Sells is the best Megadeth album
Tegan and Sara are horrible
Disclosure is awesome
Art Angels is Grimes's worst album
Kill V Maim is probably the worst track on that album

>>61359283
There were a lot of great hip-hop albums released between 1987-1990.
>>
Am i the only one who hates grunge and shoegaze?
>>
Besides "Sober," FIDLAR's new album wasn't too terrible. A tad bit whiny, but not the worst of the worst by any means.
>>
what's wrong with late 80s and early 90s rock?
>>
80's
Nobody mentions rudimentary peni or dead kennedys.. But holy fuck lets not forget swans.
Fuck swans
>>
>>61359446
I liked it too, except I also think Stupid Decisions and Bad Habits are cringey. Sometimes the chorus of Sober makes it listenable for me.
>>
>>61359429
If you hate Swans, you may love Foetus, actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYGzs7Vy_Lc

Also, if you haven't, listen to Laughing Stock by Talk Talk pls. Fucking god tier post rock. That came out in the 90s, but they had great stuff like Spirit of Eden in the 80s.
>>
>>61359439
Besides The Strokes, I agree with just about everything on this post, and that's because I have a lot of really good memories associated with their music.
>>
>>61359355
Man, djent was so disappointing. My friend introduced me to then-late-era Meshuggah and I loved it, so I looked into other bands that were supposedly in the same genre and most of it was just shitty over-distorted metalcore.

The 10s have been a mix of interesting and really, really terrible. It's certainly been a more fun decade musically, that's for sure. However, above anything else, it's been one that confirms that the music industry is basically completely fucked and is in desperate need to shaking up.

I'm honestly not sure why I like Grimes so much. I feel like she has just the right amount of restraint and attention to detail along with the ability to create insanely catchy hooks. Art Angels proved this.

>>61359166
Undertale[spoiler]'s soundtrack was incredible. Just like the rest of the game. Fuck the fanbase for turning people off of it.[/spoiler]

>>61359439
>Peace Sells is the best Megadeth album
Oh hey, you reminded me of one of mine.

Megadeth sucks ass.
>>
>>61359482
Yeah, the chorus is kinda fun.
>>
>>61359477
Punk was the only saving grace of the 1980s. Everyone was on coke, but at least the punks were using it as rage fuel.
>>
>>61359494
[spoiler]Yeah, I actually like Meshuggah, but have liked nothing else. Try look up A Very Djent Christmas by the Djentlemans' Club if you want a good laugh.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Also, spoilers only work on like two boards lmao.[/spoiler]
>>
most people on /mu/ are assholes about music they no nothing or very little about
>>
I don't care enough about /mu/ these days to know what it likes and doesn't like, but my opinion is pretty much the opposite of this >>61359123
>>
The Afterman is Coheed and Cambria's best work. IKSoSE: 3 is extremely overrated. Second Stage Turbine Blade is borderline unlistenable
>>
>>61359543
This isn't an unpopular opinion, this is common knowledge.
>>
>>61358793

>If you don't sperg out over arbitrary taxonomy you are less of a man.
>>
>>61359556
Very popular opinion: 99% of all modern prog is ass.
>>
Coma Ecliptic really wasn't all that bad.
>>
>>61359583
Audibly kek'd at this.
>>
>>61359591
Disagree entirely. But hot opinion m8
>>
>>61359487
The fucking reverb on the snaaaaaaaaaaaare! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why did every producer in the 80s have to fucking do that?

Besides that, the song was ok, Not really my thing but to each his own.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 300x268
This album is shit
>>
Blink 182 era pop-punk was really great
>>
>>61359538
LOL WHOOPS. Been a while. Will do, though.

>>61359556
I think that liking Coheed and Cambria in general is a pretty unpopular opinion on here
>>
>>61359710
There are some awesome pop-punk albums, but Blink's only good album is the one where they decided that post-hardcore was better than pop-punk the whole time anyway.
>>
>>61359452
Oh god, everything. They way they looked, the entitled way they acted, the cheap sounding synths, the production techniques making everything sound fake, the high gain destroying any semblance of tone on the guitars, the self indulgent guitar wankery, the cheese factor. Fucking everything.
>>
/mu/ is way to picky angry and bitter for its own fucking good.
>>
>>61359606
I agree with this.

It's too high concept for them, they're more a stream of conciousness kind of band (see: Colors, Misdirect).

I like the musical direction they're going (Maybe with just a bit more harsh vocals), but they need to dial back on the "duuude story concept album lmao" shit just a bit.
>>
File: vip.png (230 KB, 299x298) Image search: [Google]
vip.png
230 KB, 299x298
Viper is legitimately a good producer
>>
>>61359754
the best rock subgenre was born during the late 80s early 90s though
>>
>>61359728
>I think that liking Coheed and Cambria in general is a pretty unpopular opinion on here

Honestly a few years ago that wouldn't be the case. I remember IKSOSE:3 at the very least used to be generally accepted as good.

Fuck /mu/'s really changed in the past 3 years or si
>>
>>61359810
I posted on here 3-4 years ago regularly and pretty much everyone hated modern prog
>>
>>61358793
>ajj fan calling anyone a cuckold
>>
>>61359760
Bro you should go on /v/. I browse both and this place is a fucking circlejerk compared to the pessimism there
>>
>>61359793
Stop memeing anon.
>>
>>61359847
The irony is palpable.
>>
>>61359836
Honestly, Coheed is one of the few modern prog. acts I've seen a reasonably sized fanbase for on /mu/. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're liked around here, but I have seen a good number of fans of at least their early stuff here.

Also, I like a lot of modern prog. But that's just one plebs opinion
>>
>>61359879
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQJyBLFuG4c&list=PLyzUX8t3c8sZd1PX3jBG1wBS-bJPgy5iw&index=195
>>
>>61359754
>what's wrong with late 80's early 90's rock
>lists everything great about it

I bet you consider yourself a fan of "lo-fi"
>>
>>61359046
Good god that's bad
>>
>>61359859
I go on /v/ regularly and yeah they're much worse, but this place is still pretty bad.

/lit/ and /tv/ are worse yet (but at the very least /lit/ actually knows what they're talking about)

>tfw I'll never actually be able to talk about the shit I like without shitposting.
>tfw forever a pleb.
>>
Metalcore is the most underrated genre of all time.
>>
De Stijl is the best White Stripes album
>>
I think Scaruffi gets unwarranted hate here. His 8+ albums are more or less revelatory. Tons of hidden gems there.
>>
>>61359966
Most wasted double dubs of all time.
>>
Post-hardcore is a fantastic genre and gets lumped together with the other -core genres too often
>>
>>61359920
I like lo-fi and hi-fi. I hate fake ass cawk rawkers, pseudo-badass metalheads and the more obnoxious kinds of electronic music.
>>
>>61359283
>2000s is the worst decade
it was, and the 10s will be much worse.
>>
>>61358749
this is not an unpopular opinion
and if it is, then everyone on this board should be executed by firing squad
>>
>>61359254
fact
>>
>>61359977
I went through all of Scaruffi's 9s recently. Some really shitty albums, but because of that I discovered Popol Vuh, Pere Ubu, Nick Cave, the Pop Group, Mercury Rev, Gun Club, Gong, and Foetus, which are some of my favs now :)
>>
>>61359938
I dunno man. Even if you post some wack stuff one here you'll get some people who agree with you here. You will get shit on for posting literally anything on /v/. That's why I stopped posting there all together. You can post the most basic shit there like "I think Metal Gear Solid is pretty good" and have it turn into an hour long rage thread. My taste in vidya is considered pretty patrician and I still get shit all over
>>
>>61359933
Just a bit of an understatement.
>>
>Skeletal Lamping is the greatest indie pop record of all time
>>
>>61360034
Same desu. There has actually been a notable rise in my happiness and a really significant decline in my drinking since I stopped post there a few months ago.
>>
>>61358749

- SJWs are destroying the culture with these cultural marxist overrating shit like Kendrick's To Pimp A Butterfly "social opportunism bullshit" and doing propaganda anti- straight man, youth and capitalism.

- Feminism is cancer

- Buzzfeed, Salon, Condé Naste, Pitchfork, Tumblerinas media and cia, are doing propaganda pro-SJW artists and this is cancer. They choose their favorite artists to praise, even if its degeneracy, most of them are black artists (Frank Ocean, Kanye West, Run The Jewels (Social Justice Warriors), D'Angelo)...

- Drake is the most important artist of the 21th Century. A Aynd-Rand symbol, the man of people.
>>
I don't get all the Mac DeMarco hate. I enjoy his music and he seems like a pretty fun dude.
>>
>>61360021
I actually think we're heading into a good time to be a music fan. The internet has the major labels scrambling for relevance while everyone either self publishes or finds a more underground label to be a part of. You can find something new and great almost anywhere these days.
>>
>>61360100
Hes good, hes fault is being too ironic and poser sometimes.
>>
>>61360093
Accurate.
>>
>>61360093
>those first 3
a lot of people will tell you that those are not unpopular opinions here but lately they kind of have become unpopular so spot on
>>
>>61360129

Drake is just personal, favorite pop rapper, hes just a symbol to a bunch of things in the music industry.
>>
your a fucking moron
>>
>>61360093
>CIA are doing pro-SJW propogranda
oh god
>>
>>61360149
the opinion about drake is the only one I wasn't talking about lol
>>
File: 1440533643731.jpg (106 KB, 808x703) Image search: [Google]
1440533643731.jpg
106 KB, 808x703
>>61360150
Okay
>>
>>61360168
cia means company (their niche)

>>61360169
i knew , lel
>>
>>61360113
we're in the midst of a great purge, hopefully after the dust has subsided we can get to the level of creativity achieved in the 60s or 70s, but that's being optimistic

i still have hope
>>
I think I like Television's self titled over Marquee Moon.
>>
>>61360168
CIA stands for Companhia (Portuguese: company)

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Companhia-(Portuguese%3a-company)-(CIA).html
>>
>>61360029
That's what I mean, so of my now favorite albums are from his lists and they barely have a wikipedia page and are never discussed on /mu/.
>>
>>61358805
>>61358918
fuck yeah, finally someone gets it
>>
Early Dream Theater was fantastic
>>
>>61360552
bad taste
>>
>>61360056
Ehhh. Hissing Fauna's way better.
>>
>>61360093
>Using the phrase "Cultural marxism" non-ironically
>Drake
>Not degenerate
Holy fuck
>>
I can't fucking stand this resurgence of vinyl
>>
>>61360777
What's wrong with it? Vinyl's kinda nice
>>
>>61360568
Wow, I sure have seen the light. Suddenly an opinion I had bad been changed thanks to an anon saying "bad taste". Words honestly cannot describe how quickly after reading that my opinion change. Wow, awesome, good job anon.
>>
File: photo.jpg (24 KB, 274x274) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
24 KB, 274x274
>The early 2000s are immensly underrated.
>Instrumental Tourist is actually pretty great and only a slight disappointment.
>I sometimes listen to modern post-hardcore as a guilty pleasure, like Alexisonfire or Thrice.
>I only really like hip hop artists that either defy a stereotypical hip hop sound (Death Grips, Dalek) or are challenging in lyricism (Aesop Rock). I hope that doesn't come off as too fedora.
>I listen to a few game and anime soundtracks outside of the respective media, but I prefer more ambient types of OSTs
>>
>>61360799
I think he's more referring to the subculture behind it and how cringey/memey it is.
>>
>>61360815
>I sometimes listen to modern post-hardcore as a guilty pleasure, like Alexisonfire or Thrice

Post-hardcore is fantastic anon. No shame there.
>>
>>61358805
she WAS, at least
>>
File: 408524_300.jpg (22 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
408524_300.jpg
22 KB, 225x300
gothic rock isn't a bad genre but the fashion surrounding it is terrible

depressive suicidal black metal is a joke

crust punk is the best punk sub genre
>>
>>61360893
I have no shame in something like At The Drive In or Sunny Day Real Estate or hell, Circa Survive.
I'm talking modern shite. I don't get an anal fissure when I hear Dance Gavin Dance. It's not good, but I still have a bit of teen in me, I guess.
>>
>>61360777
I do own a few vinyl LPs, but its not for any pretensions about analog media having greater fidelty. For me its more about having a big, tangible object to represent the things I love, and the sweet, sweet, huge album art. All the LPs I own are of albums I know that I love. The only LP I would buy without already knowing whats on it would be if I came across some forgotten curiosity from the days of yore.
>>
File: cover.jpg (235 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
235 KB, 1000x1000
this was a 9/10
>>
>>61360996
>I don't get an anal fissure when I hear Dance Gavin Dance

There was a time when /mu/ actually loved DGD, especially their first 3 albums. I don't know what happened but I feel like the Fagtano hivemind kicked in after he gave Instant Gratification a 1.

I'm honestly a huge fan of them myself tbph. I love all the soul and Mathcore influences in their writing. Im also a pretty big Johnny Craig fan too
>>
>>61360996
those bands are all on the right side of the bell curve of modern post-hardcore, even DGD
>>
Gucci Mane is a talented rapper and in his prime was a better lyricist than Jay-Z, tupac, hell even kanye. He fell off but shit, most artists do
>>
>>61360962

>depressive suicidal black metal is a joke

its this a genre? top kek
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6401286
>>
Ween is literally the greatest band of all time.
>>
roman candle is the best elliott smith album
>>
>>61360691
>not Passion Pit's Gossamer
It's a close call though, because I really want to know if Shuggie did it yet
>>
>>61361503
2003 asshole
>>
>>61361503
>no 1997
>>
Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer is the best love song ever recorded
>>
>>61361503
http://strawpoll.me/6401390

Fixed
>>
>>61361400
The wrong side of the curve is metalcore famm. Post-hardcore is just all around decent, even the "average" stuff in the genre.
>>
File: Neutral-Milk-Hotel.jpg (762 KB, 1582x1079) Image search: [Google]
Neutral-Milk-Hotel.jpg
762 KB, 1582x1079
>>61358749
i'm so fucking tired of poptimism on this board
PC music is shit, your waifu (taylor swift, marina, lavren, etc) does not make good music, top 40 is shit, young thug is awful. i hate all these wannabe avant teens from RYM that bring this shit here. post irony meme shit started all of this. who else here /new sincerity/?
>>
>>61359123
i don't see this as an unpopular opinion, in every "rank the decades" thread, the 80's are always placed last or near last, but i couldn't disagree more. the 80's were a key developing time for post punk, indie rock, and hip hop - all the genres that /mu/ cares about today.
>>
>>61361452
True but his new music while not his best is still better than what ye and jay are doing now
>>
File: laughing slags.jpg (159 KB, 1280x1155) Image search: [Google]
laughing slags.jpg
159 KB, 1280x1155
>>61361470
unfortnately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAP-iHaL_x0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mygIU9tzrP0
>>
>>61358749

nah, I agree.

Folk punk is a fucking shit genre. That and new age "edgy suburban kid" hardcore need to die already.

Tired of seeing local music venues book 4 local bands and every single one is shitty folk punk/pop punk/brocore.

Fucking 17 year olds are why I barely bother with local shows anymore.
>>
>>61359494

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "Djent" is Meshuggah. Unfortunately now, it just means shitty metalcore with a few odd chug patterns.
>>
>>61360093

Straight white middle-upper class men with zero perspective on how the rest of the world works are fucking hilarious.
>>
>>61360902
This
>>
>>61362849
I kinda feel like that too sometimes
>>
>>61359439
>Peace Sells is the best Megadeth album
I thought we all agreed on this
>>
>>61358942
It's fun to act over the top
>>
>>61361452
What are some "prime" Gucci Mane projects? Mr. Zone 6?
>>
Taylor Swift is good sans 1989

Pink Floyd were the great band all time and Dark Side was their magnum opus.

Swan are the second best band.

Poptimism is stupid retarded shit and is ruining music.That might contradict my opinion of tswift but I don't care.
>>
>>61365852
Whiny leftist faggots who are so delusional that they think they have some sort of higher way of thinking and are super in touch with reality are fucking hilarious.

Tl;dr: wrap your lips around a glock or quit being such a stupid faggot.
>>
File: 8764567890.jpg (35 KB, 400x475) Image search: [Google]
8764567890.jpg
35 KB, 400x475
Bon Iver is one of my favorite musicians. I really don't understand why so many people hate him.

Also fuck Andrew Jackson Jihad.
>>
>>61365739
Shit man, isn't that the fucking truth. Except that in my town we get some pretty rad country music and there's always shitloads of booze there.
>>
Future is a legit good artist, an amazing lyricist and the future (heh) of hip-hop

Emo revival is played out and should stop

Psychocandy > any shoegaze album ever

Ariel Pink is just an R. Stevie Moore rip-off, his music is good but people need to realize it
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 320x213
This guy is an incredible songwriter and musician and deserves to be taken seriously and not just looked at as a meme.
>>
Kendrick Lamar really isn't anything special.
>>
>>61358749
i unironically like Green Day
>>
File: 1433782071864.jpg (27 KB, 400x675) Image search: [Google]
1433782071864.jpg
27 KB, 400x675
Jay Electronica is boring.

There isn't enough variation in emo music.

I love 808s & Heartbreak by Kanye West.

Odd Future aren't amazing, but they're not as bad as people make them out to be.

I can't get into Death Grips.

Crystal Castles has fallen apart and the new singer seems like a replacement for Alice.
>>
>>61366111
>Emo revival is played out and should stop
>Psychocandy > any shoegaze album ever
>Ariel Pink is just an R. Stevie Moore rip-off, his music is good but people need to realize it
this
>>
i don't mind AJJ but Smith Street Band are the cringiest trash ever
>>
File: stranger.jpg (98 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
stranger.jpg
98 KB, 500x500
I used to be a huge music snob and listen to a lot of indie/folk/post rock/obscure electro/hipster shit like 5-10 years ago, but now I really like EDM and listen to it almost exclusively.

There's still some of that hipster stuff I like but for the most part I find it rather pretentious, badly produced and nauseating. I'm convinced that most of the shit out there hipsters/obscure music snobs listen to is in fact, garbage and they only listen to it to seem special. I know I was that way, looking back at what I listened to in high school/college.. not all of it though, some of it was great stuff.

But yeah, EDM rules. Deal with it.
>>
File: 1413903664415.jpg (63 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1413903664415.jpg
63 KB, 640x640
>>61366403
>>
>>61359703
hell no
>>
>>61360034
>My taste in vidya is considered pretty patrician and I still get shit all over
that's because it's all a joke
stop taking this place so seriously
>>
I don't even know if I like Jazz that much, but I fucking love collecting it.
>>
>>61358945
FINALLY
>>
>>61358749
My opinions of them aren't that strong but I dislike them
>>61358805
No arguing against this
>>61358829
You couldn't be more right
>>61359123
I'm afraid no
>>61359142
Couldn't be less wrong
>>61359283
>indie rock dead
Depends on what you consider "indie rock" to be
>music ironically
Yup
>2000s
No
>kpop
Yes
>grimes
Disgusting
>>61359355
>>61359494
The only good djent is Meshuggah. Anything else is essentially Scene Metalcore 2.0
>>61359439
>strokes
The Strokes are garbage, full stop
>sufjan
Sufjan is boring, full stop
>mariah
lolno
>newsom
Off yourself
>ys
Please die
>bjork
Shit taste maximum
>haim
What is a HAIM?
>itaots
Stopped reading
>>61359440
Grunge no, shoegaze yes
>>61359606
Yeah it wasn't, it was just disappointing
>>61359710
lol no
>>61359760
That took you a while
>>61359793
He's avant-garde as hell. He literally did vaporwave before Eccojams was even a thing
>>61359966
Not of all time, but it get's more flak than it deserves. There's so much fucking good underground metalcore out there, especially with how loosely defined the genre is.
>>61360013
yee
>>61360093
>sjws
Yes
>feminism
Not even unpopular
>buzzfeed
Not even an opinion
>drake
Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves
>>61360552
I agree
>>61360777
Waste of trips
>>61362849
I sort of do agree
>>
>>61366994
>I have to reply to everyone to let everyone know MY opinion
Might as well get a trip
>>
I genuinely dislike Neutral Milk Hotel. I hate their name. I hate Jeff's voice. I hate how Pitchfork re-reviewed the album and gave it a 10 after all the positive attention it started to get.
>>
>>61358942
in my experience, usually when someone says they hate a band or musician, in reality, they just really hate the fanbase
>>
>>61365852
I'm almost certain that dude is hispanic, and I agree with you but it applies universally, the perspective of a person with one set of identities is going to be incredibly difficult for another person who has a completely different experience to understand or empathize with. Sure that guy might be retarded in his simplistic worldview but your reaction honestly isn't any better and that kind of reductionist reactionary bullshit is just shitposting.

It's true that that particular demographic is somewhat of an idealogical ubermensch living parts of life on easy mode but to blind yourself to the lives of others and their issues is to throw the baby out with the bathwater

Enjoy your moral superiority though friend
>>
>>61359036
To Bimp a Putterfly
>>
>>61358793
Its called oogles fuckwad
>>
File: 220px-Tomorrow_We_Die_Alone.jpg (22 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-Tomorrow_We_Die_Alone.jpg
22 KB, 220x220
This album wasn't an abomination like most people thought. Yeah it doesn't hold a candle to the Discovery but it did have awesome tracks like Exhilarate and Source Field.
>>61360815
>>I sometimes listen to modern post-hardcore as a guilty pleasure, like Alexisonfire or Thrice.
I wouldn't really call those bands modern. They aren't very old but aren't very new either.
>>61366111
I find most the emo revival bands to be uber pretentious.
>>
>>61358749
I hate Sufjan Stevens his music is fucking gay and dull.
>>
>>61359142
this, so much
>>
>>61366994

I suggest leaving the house once in a while to get a bit of perspective about how little anyone cares about your opinions.
>>
>>61367025
>>61367542
Not him but do you want this thread to be just be a shout box for you to voice opinions and not get challenged, because you can always just go scream at a wall.
>>
>>61367145

2nuanced4/mu/ brother.

Get your balanced reasonable viewpoints the fuck out of here.
>>
>>61367582

If only it were possible to just give opinions on like a couple things at a time instead of posting monstrosities that attempt to respond to the entire thread at once.

Sadly, until science makes some major leaps it will only be a beautiful dream.
>>
I find Trent resnor's voice to be extremely irritating most of the time.
>>
I didn't get Deafheaven or Death Grips until I listened to them a shitton. This method did not work with Surfjan or Kanye
>>
>>61358749
Actual unpopular opinion: I love AJJ super much and was a big fan of their latest release.
>>
Djent was never good, Meshuggah is only marginally more listenable then their numerous imitators

There is literally nothing wrong with Dadrock/Dadmetal

Iron Maiden hasn't made a good album since 1988
>>
I like jam bands, Umphrey's McGee and Phish especially. I want to highlight some stuff specifically about them too because I never get a chance to discuss them on here.

The version of UM's 40s Theme from the 12/3/2004 Variety Playhouse has a guitar solo that is an absolute clinic in pacing and atmosphere in soloing that I'd put somewhere near the level of the sax solo in Bruce Springsteen's Jungleland in terms of those two aspects (not comparing the two in any other ways though). At least up until the last minute or two, when Brendan takes over and does a bunch of unnecessary sweep picking and it ends up overstaying its welcome a bit. But Jake's long portion of it builds effortlessly and ends up amazing by the time he finishes.

The instrumental portion from Harry Hood at Phish's New Years Eve 1993 show in Worcester MA makes me unreasonably happy. Same for the entirety of Fly Famous Mockingbird > Shine > Fly Famous Mockingbird from New Years '95. Also they covered ITAOTS when they played at Merriweather Post Pavilion in 2010 and it seems too crazy to be a coincidence.

>>61368794
I haven't listened to Christmas Island but AJJ will always have a special place in my heart. Also because I feel obligated to say this every time there's an AJJ discussion, American Tune is tongue-in-cheek and the whole point of the album is summed up in People II 2 where it literally outright says that everyone's suffering is legitimate regardless of where you come from.
>>
>>61369171
That first Animals as Leaders album was really cool to be honest but I agree that djent was never good as a whole
>>61366111
>Ariel Pink is just an R. Stevie Moore rip-off, his music is good but people need to realize it
This is true, but is the album they did together is anything to go by, R. Stevie is not only okay with it but supportive of it. I do think more people should give him credit as one of the patriarchs of lo-fi though.
>>
Chicago by Sufjan Stevens is probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life

Lavren is only attractive with makeup and even then she's only like a 7/10
>>
>>61359178
Your writing style makes me think you're like 55 years old but I like it.
>>
>>61370275
I get that more than I should. That's the result of constantly reading as a kid because I was completely devoid of any social aptitude.
>>
>>61359439
shit taste
>>
>>61358793
the whole ideology behind anti folk is shit
>>
I think a lot of people who are really judgey about music and fanbases are completely delusional and toxic because they spread misinformation and blind hatred like aids. If you don't like someone, don't spend time and energy trying to undermine and attack it, it's autistic. sensible likeable human beings indulge in what they like and ignore what they don't like.
>>
The Rolling Stones are better than the Beatles, but not many people dig deep enough into their discography as they do in the Beatles'.
>>
Nine Inch Nails is actually a good band.

The Fragile > The Downward Spiral
>>
>>61371764

fuck off thats not unpopular NIN is universally loved
>>
Kim Gordon's vocals are good.
Grimes' Visions is probably the worst critically acclaimed album I've ever heard. Art Angels is better, but still only a 4/10.
MPP is Anco's worst release.
>>
>>61373027
>>61373027
I agree with this guy. Kim Gordon's vocals carry the perfect naive attitude of the punk rock movement and it works.
>>
ITT: People who don't understand [insert any artist in thread]

does some of this music seriously go this far above your heads?
>>
>>61374719
It's not that I don't get it fucknuts, it's that I hate AJJ because I've been forced to listen to it and get it too much, and their fans are cunts.
>>
>Knife Man by AJJ is just fine

Is the fanbase really that bad?
>>
>>61375945
>get it too much

LOL

:^)
>>
>>61376247
Yes.

>>61377546
"Liberalism is good and stuff! Bad stuff happens! Here's some sort of narrative! Did I say I'm liberal! Just to be safe, I'll say it again! Here's some folk-y chords!"

Accurate enough?
>>
>>61358749

Sainthood should be the standard poptimist should use when ranking albums. Not grimes or charlie xcx releases, as it sets the bar really low and is way too contemporary to set an objective standard.
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.