[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there more to country than this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 320x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 320x306
Is there more to country than this?
>>
If someone posts Old Boots New Dirt, a new metal icon well be fine.
>>
>>61356764
>queen of gums
>>
File: Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.jpg (61 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.jpg
61 KB, 400x395
>>61356764
Yes
>>
>>61356764
I can think of something more.
>>
>>61356764
post your horsefaced gf my bro
>>
>>61356764
There's lots of great stuff if you look for it.

Here's some stuff I really enjoyed...
Willie Nelson - Phases & Stages; Yesterday's Wine
Waylon Jennings - Lonesome, On'ry, & Mean; Honky Tonk Heroes
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the Circle be Unbroken
Hank Williams - 40 Greatest Hits
Merle Haggard - 40 #1 Hits
Anything Gram Parsons did (Check out the Flying Burrito Brothers & his record with the Byrds)
Anything Patsy Cline did
Loretta Lynn's singles
Jerry Lee Lewis's country output
Johnny Cash's own At San Quentin

Also, there are some great rock artists have a country slant, like The Band, Neil Young, & The Grateful Dead.
>>
Townes Van Zandt
>>
>>61356764
There's tens of thousands of other country albums in existence.
>>
>sleeping on the Musgaraves

Bitch is changing the game, son.
>>
my favorite country track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOgieFqww-U
>>
>>61356851
Does that really count? Country fans hated it, rock fans are the ones it appealed to.
>>
I don't trust anyone who doesn't like Hank Williams Sr.
>>
>>61356949
>greatest hits albums
>>
>>61357006
>having a stigma against greatest hits albums at all
>especially in primarily singles driven genres like country during the 30s to arguably the 60s
>>
Marty Robbins
>>
>>61357006
Country music just doesn't work like rock or jazz or whatever other genre you may have started with anon

Lots of country artists were very prolific, and some of the best artists (like Merle Haggard, for example) put out like two or three albums per year during their peak creative periods. Consequently, there's lots of filler, but lots of great stuff too.

Nothing wrong with a solid greatest hits package to introduce you to an older, classic artist's discog
>>
File: 1280x1280[1].jpg (568 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1280x1280[1].jpg
568 KB, 1280x1280
>>61356764
Okay, it's kind of a meme album, but pretty damn amusing if you listen to the lyrics.

>Well, I'm drivin' these backroads tryna' save my life
>'Cuz the sheriff wants to kill me 'cuz I fucked his wife...
>>
>>61357127
also, this
>>61357028

it was a singles game
>>
File: 51ExEUunrML.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51ExEUunrML.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
obligatory
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 1334x750
>>61356923
>>
Cash has a lot of good songs that aren't on that.
>>
there's a pretty great Dwight Yoakam album in the sharethread right now, OP
>>61324122

i like pretty much all the big names of the classic era. Dylan's Nashville Skyline is a damn fine album.

>>61357130
Risin' Outlaw is awesome.
>>
If you are going to be a tool about it.... Bluegrass is in shortage of musicians.

Learn the fiddle/banjo be an american folk hero!
>>
Check out the "Truckers, Kickers, Cowboy Angels" compilations. They focus on the early roots of country rock, but have a good mix of classic country and early country rock. Some really good stuff on there.
>>
Oasis
>>
File: MI0002440756[1].jpg (50 KB, 400x362) Image search: [Google]
MI0002440756[1].jpg
50 KB, 400x362
>>61357127
For a newcomer, I'd actually go with compilations, too, and not just individual musicians/bands.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Countrys-Greatest-Hits-Various-Artists/dp/B000NRRWM4/

There's nothing wrong with starting out with what are often considered some of the "classics" of the genre and going from there.

Who at this point actually sits around listening straight through Ferlin Husky albums or something? The goal is to get to the highlights.
>>
At Folsom Prison fans are to country what Legend fans are to reggae.
>>
>>61357338
Great post! Thanks for contributing
>>
File: fear and whiskey.jpg (57 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
fear and whiskey.jpg
57 KB, 400x400
Listen to this, it's the start of the alt-country movement.
>>
>>61357408
But At Folsom Prison fans aren't degenerates, Anon.
>>
Is country the most widely and tragically misunderstood genre?

Most modern "country" is literally just Top 40 style pop with pedal steel guitar, with no respect for--or even interest in--the tradition
>>
https://youtu.be/Ez2-wZGbLvg

one o my favs
>>
>>61357907
Yep. Mainstream Country these days is, more or less, a complete dead-end. Deliberately one-note music for people with deliberately one-note taste.
>>
>>61357130
Hank III is a meme but that doesn't stop me from liking his music
>>
File: 220px-UTND.jpg (13 KB, 220x221) Image search: [Google]
220px-UTND.jpg
13 KB, 220x221
And everything else they put out
>>
Personally, I'd recommend checking out the strains of Post-Punk inspired by American roots music.

Bands like The Gun Club, early Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, early PJ Harvey (Blues), Violent Femmes, Andrew Jackson Jihad (Folk), Meat Puppets, X, Jason and the Scorchers, and Lone Justice (Country).
>>
1 word: tim mcggraw
>>
>>61358356
Who hurt you?
>>
>>61356764
Try "Red Headed Stranger" by Willie Nelson. A folk-country concept album. Gave it a lot of listens while driving around during the summer. Beautiful, simple and well thought out. Very stripped down sound.
>>
>>61356806
Nice post, have a (You)
>>
>>61356983
So it's like Johnny Cash.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.