[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is John Williams a good composer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: newhopemain.jpg (242 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
newhopemain.jpg
242 KB, 752x1063
Is John Williams a good composer?
>>
He can write a great melody.
>>
Catchy. Not anything worth great examination, I don't think.
>>
Yes.

/thread
>>
>le trumpets man
>>
>>61355679
He seems very diverse, mostly Romantic style with a lot of fanfare. Cantina music is jazzy though so I guess he can do it all, does anybody have any piece of his that features counterpoint?
>>
Hans Zimmer >>>>>>>>
>>
>>61357085
lol
>>
no don't bring /tv/ here again please
>>
Possibly the greatest film composer in regards to melody, but I would probably put Ennio Morricone and Bernard Hermann above him for all time greatest
>>
what's that one where the song goes like BUM BABABABUM BUM BUM BUM BUMMMMMMMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGUI87ojtw
>>
>>61356220
He's a hack moron.
>>61357063
Check out the third movement of Mahler 9 which he rips off for March of the Resistance.
Or The Exalted Sacrifice from the Rite of Spring which he rips off for The Dune Sea of Tatooine.
Etc
>>
>>61355679
I like Dvorak, therefore I like John Williams.
>>
he's good at creating ostinatos for different characters / themes. but he really just rips off a lot of classical composers desu. check out gustav holst's mars the bringer of war and tell me it didn't inspire the score of star wars with a straight face and of course wagner's ride of the valkyries (probably already familiar to you)
but I think his close ties to classical music is why people like him, it brought a lot of classical listeners to score, and score listeners to classical.
>>
>>61357246
You are not wrong.
>>
>>61357155
>hack moron
Hi Mr. Hyperbole, how are you today?
>>
Bernard Hermann > John Williams > Hans Zimmer
But I'm into Hermann's impressionist use of strings and harmony.
>>
File: Disgust.gif (905 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
Disgust.gif
905 KB, 240x228
>>61357085
>>
>>61357085
sonically, yes. melodically, no.
>>
>>61357152
jesus i forgot about these guys
>>
So film scores are basically classical pop music?
>>
>>61358921
basically.
some are more electronic / ambient. depends on the movie and the budget desu
>>
The compositions themselves aren't groundbreaking, but his ability to read the mood of a scene and structure his music around that is absolutely second to none.

>>61357085
But most of his songs sound like a series of loud, angry farts
>>
>>61355679
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

Yea he's pretty epic.
>>
Yes, obviously.
>>
>>61355679
no

>>61357085
stop
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.