[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the process of getting signed to a major record label?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1
File: 5935740.jpg (13 KB, 439x405) Image search: [Google]
5935740.jpg
13 KB, 439x405
What's the process of getting signed to a major record label?
>>
you have to suck a lot of dicks
>>
>>61352201
What's the point in a reply like that? Grow up for real.
>>
>>61352269
my dad is mick jagger
>>
Nowadays,
>get a large following on social media
>signed

Very straight forward
>>
>>61352365
Not really, there are countless exceptions, especially in hip-hop. Some semi-famous artists have an obscure and unmarketable style.
>>
>>61352269
He didn't mean it literally u dumbass, he meant that ur going to have to kiss a lot of ass when ur in the music biz. This includes collaborations with people u don't want to work with and changing your image a lot so you can stay trendy and so on.
>>
>>61352269
>>61352453
No he meant it literally. If you are super talented you will be approached and asked to sign a deal, if you are sub par you will have to suck some guys dick in a limo.
>>
>>61352448
ok
>get a large following on social media
>be marketable
>signed
>>
>>61352482
Lil Ugly Mane is rapper who plays multiple instruments, made rock music as well and created a tape that was multi-genre experimental genius. He has 1 million views on one of his songs, why isn't he signed?
>>
>>61352558
because it's not acesssible enough for the general public
>>
>>61352558 --->
>>61352587
This.
However, I could imagine Odd future fans pretending to be into LUM
>>
>>61352558
only 1 million?
>>
>>61352558
He turned down record labels, like 3 of them dude
>>
>>61352653
Can I see your music that has 1 million views?
>>61352587
Remember Eminem? When he first came out he was literally /r9k/ school shooter tier.
>>61352706
Is there any evidence for this other than some bar of On Doing An Evil Deed Blues?
>>
>>61352706
Which labels did he drop?
>>
>>61352755
>Can I see your music that has 1 million views?

So everyone with 1 million views on their youtube video deserves to be famous? Rap sucks, that's why he isn't famous.
>>
>>61352755
this guy has almost 3 million views, he also explains why rap sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EwzisBEHc
>>
>>61352833
>Rap sucks, that's why he isn't famous.
Alright, I can see you're obviously some fan of obscure heavy metal, probably a white virgin neckbeard so I don't want to hear your opinion again, it's valueless.
>>61352863
Not for the same reasons.
>>
>>61352755
>>61352757
Idk but really what would LUM gain from lying?
>>
>>61352900
Probably got a shitty contract from an indie label although I could kinda see why they wanted to sign him
>>
>>61352888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFKds0UWxNo
>>
>lots of followers
>Good sound
>They somehow hear you and like you

e.g. Bones got popular and lots of labels wanted to sign him

these days its less of a risk to them if you already have a decent following
>>
>>61352994
Did they actually want to sign him though lol, seems like indie artists say that shit to get some sort of credit
>>
>>61352558
LUM is an edgy wigger, I'm sure he could have gotten signed if he wasn't edgy.
>>
>>61352994
Bones use to make a song every 30 minutes, he was bound to get famous someday cuz he was making more music than lil b and better than him to
>>
>>61352365
How do I get signed if I don't have much of a following yet?

How can I gain a decent following, go out and play?
>>
>>61353189
>How can I gain a decent following, go out and play?
If there was an easy answer we would all be famous
>>
>>61352168
suck mad dick
>>
>>61352936
Raider Klan is a record label right? He prolly turned down spaceghostpurrp after they made that song Twistin
>>
>>61353335
reported, tripfag
>>
>>61353279
I'm not even talking about being signed to a big label, just A label, one that presses vinyl, or is willing to finance/equip a short tour.
>>
>>61353367
Not a major label.
>>
>>61353375
report deez nutz
>>
>>61353387
Find a label that could like your music and isn't a v big one, send them your music and ask if they want to release it. Depending on their budget and how into your music they are you'll get different deals ofc
Really just do it, don't expect to be contacted if you're not on anyone's map
>>
>>61353387
You have to find some really creative and talented people that have the same ambition that you do to become famous. Don't ever let people in the group that think they are the most important and also avoid people that don't want to get famous
>>
>>61353520
Unless you're by yourself of course
>>
>>61353460
This is really what I'm considering doing, sending my music to several smaller labels that press vinyl and release similar music to my own.

Though I wouldn't expect much since I haven't sold any CDs, and I've only managed to do one live show so far where I live.
>>
>>61353568
you sound like a bitch, your music is probably terrible too, change your attitude
>>
>>61353568
Keep in mind even a smaller label will probably want you to do your part too btw, if they release your stuff on vinyl and take the risk for that, they'll make most of the potential profit and want you to play shows/tour to market yourself more so you'll actually sell those records.
Very few labels will want to release something just because they like it, make it clear you can make it worth their while, and if you can't you should get to that point before considering a label
>>
>>61353607
What do you mean?

Everyone I've talked to says they have liked my music.
>>
>>61353685
Link it? What kind of music? Why do you have that small town musician mentality? So cringe-worthy
>>
>>61353685
Cuz they don't wanna make you feel bad bro. I've never heard ur music but in reality nobody wants to be an asshole to your face
>>
>>61353635
Well yes, if I get signed I expect that I have to hit the streets and play to sell material for them, that is what I expect to do.

Yet I still expect them to do some of the share of promotion, since I'm the one busy practicing or playing and working the street.
>>
>>61353748
No I know that, and a few times I have been an asshole to some people just to get either an honest or more cynical opinion out of them, and even those that do find fault with it will at least tell me something they like about it.

But that isn't the raw deal, which is whether or not it's marketable.
>>
>>61353876
This isn't your blog dude, link your music or fuck off derailing the thread
>>
>>61353958
I'm not here to link my music, I'm here to discuss the economics of the biz, which is what this thread is about.
>>
>>61354021
You aren't discussing that though. If you aren't willing to share any of your music and just bicker about your lack of knowledge of the industry to someone then it's not productive at all, you do you I guess.
>>
>>61353038
dude has a massive following so makes sense
plus he sells popular merch

Its been said on pages about him and by him

I believe it

But he was gonna get turned into this "white rapper" with macklemore and Mac Miller and he didnt wanna get controlled

Bones also has a stance that he has never paid for music so why should his fans pay for his
>>
>>61354088
That's hilarious that they would want to turn him into a Macklemore type of character. I really doubt this story ever happened though. It seems like indie artists make this shit up to aid their ego and make their fans think of them higher.
>>
>>61354041
Well I do know one thing that's important, when approaching anyone in the industry you need to keep in mind how your music could be useful to them.
>>
>>61354163
Do you even listen to mainstream music? Let me guess dude, you make noise music or some obscure type of altrock and upload it to soundcloud and get 30 views, all from people you linked?
>>
suck dick

suck big dick
>>
>>61354265
>this is a bad thing
>>
>>61354088
Mac miller is good now though.
>>
>>61354088
http://www.redbubble.com/people/kslaugh/works/13557333-sesh-x-pulp-fiction?grid_pos=1&p=t-shirt

I'd cop the fuck outta this
>>
>>61355272
because you are a cringy underage tripfag who likes mac miller.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.