[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some music criticism that isn't just overwrought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1440625884027.png (155 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1440625884027.png
155 KB, 512x384
What are some music criticism that isn't just overwrought descriptions of the sounds or gossip about the artist's celebrity life? I want to read something that will actually increase my understanding of the music and help me appreciate it more.
>>
scaruffi takes a sociological perspective in a lot of the reviews - like he explains from what conditions that created the artist
>>
File: 1449447368174.png (200 KB, 1433x516) Image search: [Google]
1449447368174.png
200 KB, 1433x516
>>
>>61345505
that didnt answer OP's question at all
>>
Anything that isn't western art music isn't to be appreciated, it's just superficial badges of ""taste""
>>
>>61345553
didn't it?
>>
>>61345543
this
>>
>>61345564
Why only western?
>>
>>61345691
Everyone else is so far behind the times and meaningless on the road to future that all other music might only be seen as anthropological curios.
>>
I like it when a reviewer can integrate some music theory into the proceedings without sounding like a textbook.

http://www.allmusic.com/song/crazy-train-mt0011964175

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/03/lady_gaga_s_bad_romance_owen_pallett_explains_the_pop_diva_s_genius_using.html
>>
Music criticisms can never be objective
>>
>>61345386
>these teutonic vampires injected angst, like burning lava, into a sound that was deliberately fastidious, repulsive, incoherent.
>>
>>61345801
this. nowadays, in most modern music, mentioning its theoretical components only makes sense if you want to highlight whatever they convey
>>
>>61345386

The problem is a lot of musicians don't have actual music theory knowledge. They just go off what sounds good to them. Not that this is bad, and usually I prefer music like this, but there isn't much to talk about if it is a simple chord progression that has been used a million times.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.