[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOW DO I WRITE A FUCKING HOOK
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_nntaiiw3xt1titub2o1_500.png (93 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nntaiiw3xt1titub2o1_500.png
93 KB, 500x422
HOW DO I WRITE A FUCKING HOOK
>>
Write something that sounds like a nursery rhyme
>>
fucking why
>>
Start beatboxing in front of your mates. If they say you sound bad do a different variety of noises and rhythms and shit. If they compliment you then you should probably get new friends

TLDR you can't ever
>>
>>61336635
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iambic_pentameter
>>
Rap "ayy bby u wan sum fuk" over a simple beat. Make sure when you rap it's in some sort of rhythm, and not just said like any other sentence.
>>
>>61336607
writing hooks requires talent, something you evidently don't have, or else they would simply come to you

sorry
>>
>>61337018
lmao
>he fell for the talent is real meme
>>
>>61336607
Hooks are overrated; you should take a lesson from math-rock and focus instead on switching up the time signature and rhythm every few seconds as a substitute for hooks or choruses.
>>
u have to bend da spoon with ur mind
it all comes to u after that
>>
>>61337058

So you're saying everyone hears hooks running through their head all day?
>>
>>61336607
Watch Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. Then you'll know.
>>
>>61336607

>steal from someone else and start changing it
>sing random words and sounds and record, go back and listen to anything that pops out
>have talent

its really not that hard.
>>
>>61338150
I do. I think im sick
>>
>>61338150
you're downplaying hard work. No body hears hooks running through their head all day. I am a stand up comedian and I hear something and think I can probably turn that into a joke. Same goes for hooks they will hear a phrase or think of a line and turn it into a hook. They also sit for hours writing each day.
>>
>>61336607
idc about the context or genre, here is a hook for u, its free my friend!

"Yeah baby, we can do the yadda yadda yadda!"
>>
>>61338209

Are you famous?
>>
>>61338267
I'm a road comic. Probably never heard of me. Never been on TV
>>
>>61338209

You're talking out your ass. If you can't improv as a standup comedian you aren't funny, period. If there's nothing floating around up there, you're just pretending to be a comedian.

You criticize me for oversimplifying the concept, but your explanation is literally "well it doesn't happen to me ;)"
>>
File: bill doto reev.png (1 MB, 1440x910) Image search: [Google]
bill doto reev.png
1 MB, 1440x910
>>61338289

>"road comedian"

Yeah I'm not listening to some loser smack hound tell me about creative work.

Please don't start talking about your unrecognized potential and your problems next...
>>
- Jumpman, jumpman, jumpman, jumpman, jumpman

- Oppa gangnam style, uhp uhp uhp

- hey qt, i gotta a lot of things to say, i feel your hands in my body, blah, bluh, blow

- like a virgin, touched for the first time

- cause i'm a man, womannnnn aaaannnnnnnnnnn
>>
>>61338319
No actually I told you how people write hooks. They sit down for hours every day writing. You want to think the difference between you and the best song writer in the world was given to them at birth when really it's they work harder than you. I know plenty of comedians that are not funny off stage but can write and perform jokes and get work because of it. Nobody is good at comedy the first time they do it.
>>61338361
I make a living doing comedy and travel the world telling jokes what do you do?
>>
>>61338382

I'm a PA who writes self indulgent music in his spare time.
You're no more of a comedian than I am a musician. I can afford shitty diner food 5 nights a week if I choose too.

Why are all of your critiques so hypocritical and egocentric? You apparently support the idea that everyone has identical potential, no?
>>
>>61338476
Comedy is my full time living. I made 70k this year from comedy so I am allowed to call myself a comedian.
I have seen many talented people not make it in comedy and music. You need a balance or talent and hard work. You can't get by with one you need both. I wasn't the one who said talent is a myth I am saying hard work trumps talent 99% of the time.
I don't support the idea that everyone has identical potential but if you have a passion for music and treat it like a full time job it will get you further than if you had hooks magically come to you but no means to produce it.
>>
>>61338632
So how did that unfunny hack Carlos Mencia manage to hit it big?
>>
>>61338648
you could say the same for a million other people
Why is Amy Schumer more famous than Tig Notaro?
Why is Aziz Ansari more famous than Mark Normand.
I don't know it's the nature of the business why is Travis Scott huge but nobody knows Charles Hamilton?
>>
>>61337787
disgusting
>>
>>61338648

By stealing a bunch of jokes and doing Mexican comedy when the immigration issue was real big

At least that's my hypothesis
>>
>>61338632

What's with all these assumptions and false premises... And you're being really inconsistent with your assertions, too. So now people DO have hooks running through their heads all days, and now it's, in fact, AS important as hard work? Why do you care what I think anyways man? I've just been acerbic to you since we started. Your arguments above clearly suggest you think that hard work is the end game, so which is it? You can't just keep reshaping your argument as you realize how stupid it is, or you can, it just makes you look like a flaky road comedian.
>>
>>61338727
>>61338695

Being opportunist helps you on the road to success.The hands of the 'champions' was dirty because the blood of the dark work.
>>
>>61338756
Hard work trumps talent is my argument. You are seeing what you want to see. Road comedian isn't an insult as you seem to think it is you're favorite comedian works the road half the year I do it all year because I enjoy traveling.
>>
>>61336890

Exactly, but I wanted to dumb it down for the guy posting frogs on an Irish potato sculpting forum
>>
>>61338852

Nah man standup comedy is fucking low art on par with you and your pet monkey juggling for cheap applause. I don't respect standups.

And yeah, that's what youre saying now, because it sounds more rational, but you flat deny that "talent" is even a meaningful thing earlier in the thread.

Seriously, why do you keep putting all these thoughts in my mouth... Like that I have a "favorite standup" or that I'm dissatisfied with music I make purely for self indulgence. Come on man, you don't need the narcos, they're just slowing you down. I'm trying to help you, brother.
>>
>>61338927
lol
>stand up comedy is a low art
done with you. keep thinking the world shafted you because you don't have "talent".
>>
>>61338973

I just don't get why you think I feel that way, I was just being a dick about that guy walking into a bad argument. I really wish you'd stop trying to see yourself in some douchey stranger on a himalayan watermelon enthusiast board. Says a lot more about you than I, remember, you volunteered that you were a comedian, you asked me what I do. ;)
>>
>>61336607
you just do it. if its not good enough try again. eventually you'll get better at writing them. its called 'practice'.
>>
>>61338973

I'm not even that guy, and I can respect that you are proud of your craft, but I hope that you're not going to argue that a professional musician and a professional comedian are in the same league.

Music is an art, comedy is a skill.
>>
>>61339079

Thanks anon you scared him away, he was just about to open up to me.
>>
>>61339079
>>61338927
Not him and I should put on a biohazard suit on for this argument, but you can't compare standup and being a musician at all outside of preforming something, which always has an element of art to it. As far as I can tell he said he was a comedian and mad guy said thats for doo doo heads.

Comedy involves art and skill, same as acting, same as being a musician. You assuming there's no "art" involved in writing and preforming your own material is like me saying a melody is just random notes and playing piano is just memorizing keys. You don't know what you're talking about famalam.

>I don't respect standups
heh
Trust me soon to be nobody you're not the only one.
>>
>>61339264
Small loss
For a comedian, he wasn't very funny
>>
A hook is something annoying that just stays in somebody's brain. So, just be yourself.
>>
can we stick to the OP's question and not give a fuck about this argument HOLY
>>
>>61339335
>Trust me soon to be nobody you're not the only one.
I don't get whose side your on the comedian or the doo doo heads cause you ripped into both of them lamo
>>
>>61339335

Music can summon an entire spectrum of emotion

Comedy produces amusement. Which isn't a bad thing. Calling it art would be a stretch.
>>
>>61339335

I didn't say it was "no art" I said it was "low art"

You also should note, I didn't compare music and comedy, he did. I recognize there is artistic value in performance, but it's nowhere near the level of worth ascribed to someone who writes something as mundane as a TV show even, a self contained piece of art performed not necessarily by themselves.

This is a less appropriate analogy than comparing composers and players, but it's close enough. You're right, comparing music and comedy is apples to oranges, not sure why this devolved into that. But there is such a thing as low art, whether you're willing to accept it or not. (and you seem to already acknowledge my reasons for considering it "low art" as true)

Don't really know what that strange aside about memorizing keys or playing random notes is, because I never said you pull comedy out your ass like that, just that genuinely "funny people" can improv well.

Good call on the biohazard suit though
>>
>>61338756
You're being so autistic.

The guy is just saying that most people who have success in an area have it because of the work and practice and trial-and-error they put in, not because they have some magical gift or because of their astrological sign or some shit.

Yeah, maybe everybody doesn't have IDENTICAL potential, and some are born with genetic advantages at some aptitudes. So what. A person with a brain that makes understanding music easier, but who never practices music, won't be as good a musician as someone who isn't born with that inclination, but practices until their hands bleed.
>>
>>61339489

What's with everyone confronting me like I said talent = automatic success? I told some memeposter talent was a thing, and then back and forthed with fucking bill burr over here about his weird premises and replies. Don't really know how the wires keep getting crossed unless everyone's reading the last 1/3 of the thread and feeling the need to weigh in.
>>
this thread is so fucking shitty
>>
can we stick to the OP's question and not give a fuck about this argument HOLY
>>
I think this thread is done

I blame OP for this dumpster fire, that's what you get for starting a thread with memes.
>>
>>61339701

The question was answered by the first reply. Then another anon built upon it and gave OP a link with details.
>>
>>61336607
Just have an awful singing voice and sing BABY COME MY WAAAAAY over a shitty beat. It's not that hard m8
>>
CUNTS

ALL OF YOU
>>
>>61339354
For some reason this was hilarious to me. thanks
>>
just shout the word memes every now and again
make sure to pitch shift and you've got a winner
>>
>>61336607
>Hooks
>Not doing non-linear progressive tracks

Shame on you son
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.