[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any technical progressive, fusion, math rock, or mathcore guitarists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad1.jpg (17 KB, 357x426) Image search: [Google]
womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad1.jpg
17 KB, 357x426
Any technical progressive, fusion, math rock, or mathcore guitarists on /mu/?

What is your songwriting process like?
>>
File: lollinatu.jpg (20 KB, 332x432) Image search: [Google]
lollinatu.jpg
20 KB, 332x432
No
>>
File: womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad2.jpg (17 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad2.jpg
17 KB, 400x267
>>61319693
come on. help a brother out
>>
File: womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad3.jpg (19 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad3.jpg
19 KB, 267x400
I'll share mine. I pace around my room in circles singing to myself while leaving audacity running. Once I get a good idea, I stop the recording once the riffs start coming out generic. Then I sit and map it all out on guitar
>>
technical / mathcore guitarist here... my process is: if it sounds good then do it. no rules. and i use guitar pro
>>
Math rock/math pop guitarist here

Can you specify a bit what you are looking for?
>>
>>61320038
Man getting the timing right on that program is so fucking tedious... and I still do it
>>
File: womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad4.jpg (20 KB, 229x350) Image search: [Google]
womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad4.jpg
20 KB, 229x350
>>61320084
How do you come up with a song? Do you work around a single riff over and over until it expands?
I'm also curious in how much theory gets put behind these songs.
How do you stay motivated?
Do you tend to copy your guitar idols or try really hard not to?
What helps you feel content with what you've written?
>>
>>61320038
did you guys see a tutorial for tabbing in guitar pro?
do you guys use it to come up with things?
test riffs out?
or record riffs?
I knew of a guitarist who wrote really complex songs on guitar pro that he struggled to learn them. that sounds amazing
>>
>>61320246
>How do you come up with a song? Do you work around a single riff over and over until it expands? I'm also curious in how much theory gets put behind these songs.
I mix riffs and chord parts a lot and the approach is a lil different in writing these.
For riffs it starts with me jamming something out on a guitar, tabbing it down and listening to it while at the same time playing the guitar, trying to feel where it is going next. When I got it, I tab that out and continue until I got a good sequence and feel a new part is coming up.
I don't think about the time signatures until it's time to tab it out.
For a chord part I usually first the decide what kind of groove, time and rhythm I want, and then write chords around that.
It's hard for me to pinpoint how I use theory since it's been with me a long time and I don't really "think" about it, it's more that I feel where I want to go and know how to do so really.

>How do you stay motivated?
I just love making music

>Do you tend to copy your guitar idols or try really hard not to?
I definitively embrace it, I never copy a riff or part straight up but I cand definitively take the general idea someone had for a song/part and make something new with it. In my mind this is all music anyway, I just choose to be very upfront with it.

>What helps you feel content with what you've written?
Scrutinizing yourself is good, rewrite, tweak and listen to your stuff a lot and you'll learn a lot about what you like, and from there it gets easier to end up writing what you want and like in the end.
>>
File: womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad5.jpg (23 KB, 268x400) Image search: [Google]
womanlaughingwhileeatingsalad5.jpg
23 KB, 268x400
>>61320484
thanks for the answers m8. I've learned from your answers.
I need to love making music. I only love playing difficult riffs But music making always feels like work to me
>>
>>61320622
I feel you, there's something very rewarding about learning and perfecting a difficult riff, but in the end I think it's even more rewarding to write it yourself first.
Don't feel discouraged if you don't just feel the inspiration flowing, I rarely do until I decide I need to write a song and force myself to sit down write it, really. Inspiration starts coming when I got the first blueprint of a part
>>
>>61319679
This is my method for making methrock: start out by finger picking a basic chord progression, smoke some rock, then I figure out a way to work each chord in the progression into a different time signature.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.