[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /mu/ I just got a violin and I'm pretty excited to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: violin.gif (60 KB, 306x800) Image search: [Google]
violin.gif
60 KB, 306x800
Hi /mu/

I just got a violin and I'm pretty excited to learn how to play it, however I have no idea how atm. I'm kinda getting the hang of it on my own but I'm looking for one of those finger charts that you stick to the fingerboard, something I can print out and just tape on there with some masking tape since I'm literally so broke I cant afford to spend $5 right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Oh, right, and it's a 4/4 size violin
>>
>>61314176
Google
Tuner
Teacher
>>
>>61314176
anon you need perfect pitch to be able to play violin well.

If you can't hear that what you're playing is wrong, you need a teacher and 10 years practice. Those without perfect pitch (most of us) need a lot of help working out a bowed instrument. shit aint easy. Literally takes a lifetime to perfect.
>>
>stringed orchestral instruments
You got scammed bro.
>>
>>61314335
better than double reed instruments
>>
>>61314317
I can tell when I'm off or just out of tune, my issue is consistent finger placement. I'd like a guide to help me along for a while until I can just let muscle memory take over. I'm not a musical prodigy, but I'm not new to it either.

>>61314335
Violin is the shit.
>>
I'll just use some tape or something to mark my finger board I guess. And for the record, I dont think a teacher is required for me to learn how to play well, I mean how did people first learn how to play one when they were still new and no one else could?
>>
>>61314488
By learning from other stringed instrument players.
>>
>>61314488
You kidding, right?
If you're serious, even a little, work on technique. Teachers teach you the best way to play though.
>>
>>61314528
Then by your logic I should be alright since I'm able to play guitar quite well. I agree 100% a teacher would help a lot and I'd love to find someone who could teach me, but theres no reason why I cant teach myself in the mean time.
>>
learn to do c major scale. keep your wrist as straight as you can, play in front of a mirror to keep your bow from sliding around. Start working on your vibrato and keep the tip of your bow thumb on the leather, your thumb should not be bending like a banana keep it hooked almost. Also practicing it slow will help your learn things faster.
>>
>>61314335
Fuck off woodwindfag

>>61314488
>"People don't need teachers!"
>mfw now

Your rampant faggoty and mistake in playing violin over any other of the family, or double bass aside... Fucking shit dude you need a teacher.

But if you insist on not getting one then, well, it's good you have the tapes. D Major is going to be your bae scale and you really just want to develop muscle memory. Lrn2bow, look on YouTube for instructional videos, keep your shoulders low and your wrist straight, and your thumb below your first finger.

Also pls remember2rosin

I'm having trouble listing all the things you need to learn because there's so much and /get a fucking teacher/.
>>
>>61314488
You want the tapes for first position, first finger, second and third and - if you're feeling adventurous, fourth finger.
>>
>>61314317
having perfect pitch and not being tone-deaf is different lol.
>>
>>61317139
If he couldn't afford $5 for a fingerboard tape thing surely a teacher is too expensive.
>>
if you're serious about learning it, don't try it without a teacher, or you'll end up fucking up basic things like posture and being in tune, which will later stop you from developing.
>>
Ok so first find the placements of each note on each string. Then use any kind of tape and cut it into strips and place it under the strings, on the fingerboard for each note. There's not really a fingering chart, you just use tape and put it where the note is in tune
>>
>>61314488
Do this. I don't think that fingering chart you're asking for even exists
>>
>>61314488
viola "player" here

GET A TEACHER, really get a fucking teacher
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.