[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scaruffi, Fantano, Pitchfork, Allmusic, Rateyourmusic or Discogs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 1450884407922.png (286 KB, 648x540) Image search: [Google]
1450884407922.png
286 KB, 648x540
Scaruffi, Fantano, Pitchfork, Allmusic, Rateyourmusic or Discogs?
>>
>>61295707
Rym = discogs > allmusic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scaruffi > Fantano > Pitchfork
>>
>>61295753
Put RYM between Fantano and Pitchfork and you're correct.
>>
>>61295707
I watch Fantano sometimes, but generally albums I like, he rates averagely. It's more about if he brings up things I haven't thought of.

Sometimes I look on pitchfork for albums that came out recently, but I don't read the reviews, only look at the scores sometimes.

Otherwise I don't use the rest of them.
>>
I only use discogs and RYM and sometimes allmusic, but their reviews are usually useless because they are too neutral for my taste.
Fantano and p4k are just absolute shit.
Scaruffi is entertaining but not particular useful.
>>
>>61295707
I prefer Sputnik to rate your music as the userbase seems to be more patrician.
Fantano is really good, Scaruffi i don't really know about him but he seems o be really harsh.
Pitchfork is shit, Allmusic is okay.
As for discogs i don't even know about them.
>>
Discogs and RYM are good, Allmusic hit and miss

lol Fantano / p4k / Scaruffi
>>
>>61295887
same here
>>
>>61295707
RYM is useless and generally awful
Discogs is the best, dont really have much to say about the others
>>
my rym friends = scaruffi > rym > fantano
>>
Discogs >>>> Fantano = Scaruffi > RYM > Allmusic >>>>>>>>>>> Pitchfork
>>
>>61295831
I legitimately am subscribed to Fantano to see what has come out based on the video titles, so he's just only above Scaruffi.
>>
p4k > truth
>>
discogs is a storefront therefore it is irrelevant except perhaps for release info
allmusic is a critical disaster but useful for bio info sometimes
rateyourmusic is worse than discogs in terms of release info but occasionally there is a funny review for a chuckle. not worth the one hundred bad reviews in the meantime.
fantano is a meme that gained consciousness
scaruffi is a consciousness that gained meme
>>
>If electronic music is a genre so string music is too

so if jungle is a genre desert must be a genre too
and uppercase, I mean we have lowercase
>>
>>61295707
Your list has a mix of music reviwers sites/persons, music catalog and or recommendation sites
>>
Discogs is better then RYM.
But something rym has better is the rating system and also recommendation system.

Discogs allow you to rate just from 1 to 5, this is to low, tastekid allow just (like, meh! and dont like) ratings but its aimed as simplicity.

Discogs recommendation system is ultra shitty, and its based on "people own the stuff I own, also own", rym one is way better (use the rating system to do it).
There are many albums out there, if you listen to underground music you will problably be discovering (and them maybe listening some of it) different stuff than other people and the stuff you will both know that exist (and so have a chance of both liking) are entry level stuff, since they are more famous. So this is why aphex twin, boards of canada, radiohead.... is everywhere as recommendation.
The good point discogs recommendations is that it has recommendations on releases pages too, rym had for a while but removed for a reason I dont know (movie one still has it)
>>
>>61295887
wise words desu
>>
>>61295753
add some more meme arrows between scruffy and fantano and its perfect
>>
Robert "Cutegau" Christgau >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else
>>
RYM is great bc it aggregates reviews from all kinds of people so you get the normal Rolling Stone top 100 (Beatles, Zepplin), then cool stuff like GZA and Charles Mingus, and then the mucore that's p well respected like GYBE, ITAOTS, Madvillainy and Tribe Called Quest. So glad Madvillainy cracked top 100
>>
>>61298895
>atcq
>mucore
what
>>
>>61298699

thanks senpai desu
>>
RYM > Discogs >Allmusic >>>>>>>>> everything else
>>
>>61298963
FYI I only use these sites for new music I don't care about the reviews
>>
>>61297973
>discogs is a storefront therefore it is irrelevant except perhaps for release info
Nah. One of the best things to do there is to find a release you really like (even better if it's relatively obscure) and see what lists it's included on and check out the other releases on said list. Find users with good taste and trawl through their lists. This is what I'll do a lot to keep up with dance music (which is kinda discogs' specialty imo).

I do a similar process for RYM but honestly the tryhard RYM meme taste is sorta real and I don't feel like filtering through a bunch of shit. Plus its best to stick with certain genres there.
>>
>>61298963

RYM is a rockist bastion. Their top albums of all time is absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>61295707
Fantano
>>
>>61299022
I am able to find a fuck ton of great albums by looking at the top charts of genres I haven't heard much from yet. Anyone who uses the top 100 without a genre or country filter is retarded
>>
>>61299022
Don't look at the rock lists then.
>>
>>61295707
Most of that image is correct though.
>>
discogs>fantano>rym>allmusic>pitchfork>scaruffi
>>
>>61299140
Their other lists are worse
>>
>>61298863
daily reminder that he gave ITCOTCK D+
>>
Discogs is great but is missing most current jazz and art music, it kinda sucks. Other than that, they have literally everything.
>>
Prindle >>>>>>>>>> all of those
Not in taste but entertainment
>>
>>61299176
Name a site that others lists for every genre and subgenre you can think of (and plenty you haven't).
>>
>>61299166
>>61299070
>>61297815
>fantano

reported for being neo-/mu/ plebs
>>
>>61299196
daily reminder that ITCOTCK is overrated
>>
>>61295707
Discogs hands down
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.