[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I seriously want to know, I need a serious answer. How do I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2
File: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Trout_Mask_Replica.png
159 KB, 300x300
I seriously want to know, I need a serious answer.

How do I like this? Tried listening to it several times and still can't find a way to relate it with anything at all or enjoy it
>>
>>61286139
It deconstructs rock and blues trends up until that point and then slaps them back together with a partially tongue in cheek spirit.
>>
Serious answer: If you don't like it now, you're not going to like it. I love it, but it's not for everyone.
>>
It's musically pleasing to my ears, if you don't like it that's that. Why would you force yourself to like something
>>
>>61286139

Just realize that they aren't playing random notes, that these are songs with highly warped but definable rhythms, melodies, and structures borrowed from a mix of garage rock, blues, and free jazz.
>>
>>61286139
Listen to album that are influenced by it. I came across an artist (can't remember whom) that took a great deal of influence. Liking these artists has contributed to my appreciation of TMR.
>>
>>61286358
maybe this could work, can someone recommend me great albums that were influenced by TMR?
>>
>>61286139
From my experience, you listen to it a few times, then you start to realize that you recognize and remember certain parts, then you're like "Hey wait, this IS music after all" and from there on it starts to make sense.
>>
Listen to Moonlight on Vermont, Ella Guru and Veteran's Day Poppy. If you can't appreciate them then just stop trying.
>>
Sing along. I sing along to this album
>EVERYBODIES GONE
>HIGH SOCIETY
>>
MOOOOONLIIIGGGHHTTT OONNNNNNNNN VERRRRMOOOONNNNNNNT
>>
don't try so hard to like it. you don't have to.
>>
>>61286139
First you must into jazz. Then free jazz. Then this is a walk in the park.
>>
drop acid tbqh
>>
>>61286455
Ant Man Bee is fun to sing along to.
>>
>>61286555
got a panic attack and tachycardia because of a joint

If I drop acid, I'll be dead for sure
>>
Not OP, but I can appreciate a few tracks on this album (moonlight on vermont, pachucho cadaver, hair pie bake 2, neon meate dream of a octafish) but I can never stand to sit through the entire thing. Is there something else I'm missing?
>>
>>61286139
you need to have a decent background in the music from that period or else it doesn't make sense
>>
>>61286378
Y by The Pop Group and post punk in general
>>
>you will never walk down the street and hear Captain Beefheart and his magic band playing Hair Pie to a bush
>You will never have a pleasant conversation with capn beefbrain
>you will never be on the album
>>
>>61286604
>tachycardia
Can't believe you made me look that up. Weed is supposed to give you an elevated heart rate you dope.

Anyways, weed gives me anxiety and too much gives me a panic attack but every time I've tripped on acid(7 times) I've felt more content, relaxed and happy than I have felt since I was a young child. I actually felt more like myself then I feel sober. Like it tore away all the bullshit, mannerisms and habbits that society forces you to pick up.
>>
Everyone just pretends to like this album. It's not influential. It's meant to be a joke that we all treat it like it's good. That's the joke.
>>
What's with the entry level stuff today mu? Two threads about ITAOTS
>>
>>61286666
>I've felt more content, relaxed and happy than I have felt since I was a young child
This is why I love acid
>>
They spent many months perfecting each and every note and recorded it (IIRC) in a single session
>>
>>61286679
:^)
>>
>>61286718
Yup. According to a documentary I watched (don't remember the name, it was on youtube), they recorded it all in about 4 hours.
>>
>>61286608
actualyl scratch that, immediately after posting that I went to go have another crack at it and now it's actually clicking.
>>
>>61286727
>>
>>61286378
Sun City Girls
Some Tom Waits
Thinking Fellers Local Union 282
Slint
>>
>>61286378
I'm pretty sure frusciante was listening to a lot of beefheart while they were writing and recording bssm
>>
>>61287523
If so, I guess it explains Niandra Lades
>>
>>61287523
Anthony Kiedis mentioned that he used to hang out with Captain Beefheart in his biography
>>
Listen to Safe as Milk and Mirror Man Sessions to see where they're coming from
>>
>>61286679
Shut the fuck up, i love this album
I've loved it since i was a teen and i love it still
>>
>>61286304
don't listen to this

it took me a lot of listens to wrap my head around this record
>>
>>61286623
false
>>
When you're listening to Captain Beefheart, just remember that he's not like other musicians. His music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to him to even remotely understand him. I remember listening to a song on Safe as Milk (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought a song was absolute bollocks during the listen. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the song had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Captain Beefheart could just become something so different when you take a look into the music.

Another thing you should note about Beefheart is that it's easy to get a headache listening to him. Not because he's a bad musician, but because of how many ideas the music is riddled with and how complex it is. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just sound like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a listen the next day.

If you don't like the music, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through the lyrics, and picking apart the song itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.
>>
>>61286139
listen to more music, and keep listening to this and you will understand it eventually. it's really not that difficult
>>
>>61287914
this sounds pretentious but it's true
>>
>>61286139
you won't relate to anything from this album
nigga this is the end of your confort zone, this is where art begins and entertainment ends
this isn't music to listen in a busy day, while you do other stuff, this is a elevated, different, bold form of expression

you can't expect to "process" this kind of sonic experience the same way you do to Nirvana, Beatles, The Cure, or 80% of "rock music".
>>
Zappa > Beefheart
>>
Try tapping your foot and figuring out the time signature to each song and how every instrument fits starts to make sense. If casually listen to it on a laptop and put your hands on the laptop you can feel the instruments and you start to notice patterns. It is a pain in the ass to pick apart by ear alone. Only problem is that its hard to listen to music the same after you start to get this album, kinda like how you see life after taking LSD
>>
>>61286139
What helped me really get into it was breaking the songs apart piece by piece. Try focusing on the guitars, bass, drums and then focus on Beefheart voice as I found his voice the hardest to get into my first times listening
>>
>>61286139
>How do I like this?
The best way to 'get it' is singing along. Then you will understand a piece of what the people who made it were thinking and feeling.
>>
File: Faust.jpg (327 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Faust.jpg
327 KB, 1000x1000
>>61286139
If you cant like TMR then just listen to Faust. It's equally great and equally subversive. It's less abrasive.
>>
>>61288014
the pinnacle of autism, folks.

Captain Beefheart is great background music. Throw in on while washing the dishes or something. It's not made to be listened to attentively because then you might figure out it's fully retarded.
>>
It sounds like people got more out of the album from multiple listens. It wasn't very accessible to me the one time I listened to it. But I did get some enjoyment out of it, so if you've tried multiple times and still get nothing then maybe it's not for you.
>>
>>61286139
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPUE-s1NeZI

similar guitar
>>
>>61288881
I listened to S/T, I loved Meadow Meal
>>
You have to listen to the notes he's not playing.
>>
>>61289754
Pssh. I can do that at home.
>>
>>61286378
Don cabs best album
The residents na
Slint
Metal box by pil

Prolly sun city girls and mr bungle
>>
>>61286335
when are people going to realize that this is a retarded thing to say?
>>
this video makes me think that this "trout mask replica is the best album of all time" thing is nothing but a big joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpHgG4jILa0
>>
>>61286679
This isn't Speeding Bullet 2 Heaven you dingus
>>
>>61288881
IV and So Far are so much better though
>>
>>61289943
>all those polyrhythms
>not a single fuck up

if you're anything but impressed by this, you're an idiot
>>
>>61286139
>taking a meme this seriously
Breh its just a meme. The same people who "likes" this album are the same people that "like" kid cudis latest album
>>
>>61291610
>le contrary face
>>
>>61291687
I just really didn't care for the s/t the several times i've listened. I laughed and enjoyed the oddity at various points, but Faust IV is just...that first track with the drones. It kills.
>>
>>61286139
Listen to it until you can dive into it, and then listen to it a couple more times.
Also, listen to it actively. Don't just have it as background noise.
>>
>>61291684
>>
>>61291684
this meme is the worst

my gf got me a TMR shirt because she knows how much i love it
>>
For me, I fell in love with Shiny Beast and the 80's albums first then worked backwords.
I also really liked Howlin Wolf, Minutemen, Tom Waits, and Pj Harvey beforehand.

If NONE of those click then i dunno, try White Stripes. Then kill yourself.
>>
>>61286378
Neil Herrema has said in some interviews that TMR was a big influence in the making of Twin Infinitives
>>
>>61289943
This had the exact opposite effect on me.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.