[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Some of my favorite music artists are: The Beach Boys The Beatles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 531x451) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 531x451
Some of my favorite music artists are:
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
Animal Collective
Neutral Milk Hotel
Sufjan Stevens
Talking Heads

I realize that this looks like entry-level /mu/.
How do I go about finding new music? Any suggestions based on the list I have?
>>
why do you worry about what looks entry level? are you trying to impress someone?
>>
>>61280150
all of those are fine besides the beatles tb h
>>
>>61280150

Take out Sufjan out and your pleb count decreases at least 40%, the rest of those artists are passable
>>
>>61280173

gtfo if you listen to any of those bands you have shit entry level taste.

back to >>>/reddit/

stop posting anytime
>>
>>61280208
shut the fuck you contrarian fag
>>
>>61280150
Start with the greeks

>>61280234
He knows this, and doesn't wish to continue plebbiting on planet earth

>>61280208
kill thyself my son
>>
>>61280150
i would say find that stupid ass pyramid chart that lists a ton of genres. seriously, I started at the bottom, worked my way through a bunch of genres, even stuff i already knew by going to my library and finding books on history of whatever, and did the same online. Just started working my way up. I listen to music a lot, and i hate listening to to much of the same artist, unless im going through their discog, so this was a good way to spread out, hear shit i didnt like so i could at least talk about it and find some stuff that i find myself listening to again, whether it be one month out of the year or not for several years.
>>
>>61280233
>Animal Collective
>passable
It's your reason that /mu/ is a piece of shit
>>
>>61280150
Holy fucking shit I want that piece
>>
>>61280150
Pick one that you like the most and explore its genre, scene, and influences.

I think the first album I listened to only because I saw it on mu was Songs About Fucking. Then I looked into noise rock, post hardcore, hardcore punk, which lead into other genres and bands and so on.
>>
>>61280150
Pick an artist you like, research their influences, who they influenced, who they've collab'd with, who else is on their record label. Over time you'll end up branching out into other areas of music.

Try this site for size, it'll give you recs

http://www.music-map.com/
>>
>>61280234
insecure lil bitch
>>
>>61280150
listen to every alternative / indie album pitchfork gave 9.0 or higher, for starters.

then every indie / alternative they gave 8.0 or higher.
>>
>>61280150
thrash it all and listen to steely dan and madness :)
>>
this is like when people got mad about people saying Spiderland was their favorite album. Why do your favorites have to be original? They're popular with other people for a reason.
>>
File: 1424151439020.jpg (193 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1424151439020.jpg
193 KB, 1920x1080
Being insecure or judgmental about your musical taste is immature and a waste of time and energy.

I seriously don't know anyone in their 20's who hasn't grown out of being a pretentious cunt about music.
>>
>I can go from The Beach Boys to The Beatles to The Animal Collective to The Neutral Milk Hotel to Sufjan Stevens to The Talking Heads in a matter of minutes. That's how diverse my music taste is.
>>
>>61280352
Does anyone have this pyramid?
>>
>>61280810
yeah but can you go from steely dan to supertramp and then madness
>>
>>61280352
why would you fucking do this kill yourself
>>
>>61280150
Internet. Stop being a lazy fuck now.
>>
>>61280843

to discover new music probably, not him just guessing
>>
>>61280150
dude who gives a fuck listen to whatever you want
>>
Why do people care so much about what /mu/ thinks about them?? Music is fucking subjective, if you like it you like it, jesus
>>
You'd like the genres of baroque pop and Sunshine pop.

Roy Orbison
Yellow Balloon
Lost In The Trees
>>
>>61280150
sites like RYM and last.fm (even tho last.fm has a rly rly shitty update) have helped me to find good music that i probably wouldnt have given a chance otherwise
one of the main ways i find music that is related to my taste is seeing what friends with trustworthy tastes rate well on rym
i also find rly good music that is completely random by going into sharethreads and listening to samples based off descriptions
like >>61280782 and >>61280792 said, dont try to find obscure music for the sake of it being obscure, some relatively popular releases are acclaimed for a reason
>>
wew
op seems to be only in search of some recs, calm your tits everyone
>>
>>61280383
less grass mowing, more english
>>
>>61280150
Not even /mu/ desu fampai
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.