[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shit turntable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 41QuV4wxslL (1).jpg (30 KB, 500x434) Image search: [Google]
41QuV4wxslL (1).jpg
30 KB, 500x434
Got this for holidays. Have no background in turntables but I can tell from just looking at it its shit. Can anybody tell me exactly how damaging this thing will be to any records I put in it?
>>
your records will literally break in 1 play
>>
The tone arm has a plastic needle and no counterweight. Both of these are sure to damage the records
>>
>>61270860
I have had one of these for a year (until I got my LP-120 today)
They won't destroy your records, however the sound quality won't be very good and you will get out what you payed for it.

Sometimes they have issues with heavier vinyl, the moter will start to suck, and you won't get a good experiance.

That being said, for people just starting off their collections it's a good thing. There is no need for someone with 10 LP's to buy a 120.
>>
>>61270860
I wouldnt play most records on it more than 15 times. If you have any rare ones I wouldnt put it on there more than 3 times. That being said dont ever use this ever.
>>
>>61270899
How many times did you play your records on it?
>>
never talk to whoever bought it for you again
>>
>>61270899
>Sound quality
>Vinyl

Warm me up pharm
>>
>>61270894
any replacements I can buy or should I just replace the whole thing?
>>61270899
Ok cool thanks
>>61270935
just once or twice to test it out
>>
>>61270935
I didint play my records every single day on it, and if you do than im sure it would start to be an issue on the cheap player.
But if you play your LP's constantly than you should really consider investing in better shit for sure.

Vinyl is what you put into it. If you go cheap you will get shittier stuff and less of a great experiance it can offer.

I suggest the LP-60 if you want a cheap temp player. It's not as good as the 120 but it won't destroy your albums if you listen to them regularly. The only bad thing is that it is belt driven so you might have to replace that.
The cover also scratches easy, but who gives a shit. It won't hurt the vinyl and its doing its job.
>>
>>61270992
Belt-drive is not a problem. Having a ceramic cartridge in almost 2016 is.
>>
>>61270992
definitely gonna look into that in the future then. Right now I only have three LPs anyway. thanks dood
>>
>>61270992
Im not OP, I was just wondering what you meant by "wont destroy your records." I currently have and LP-60 and I'm reluctant to play my mint/rare records more than a few times because it lacks an adjustable counterweight (seriously what the fuck).
>>
>>61271072
Yeah. That's seriously fucking retarded and I would refrain from putting your rare records to that. Counterweight is important.
>>
>>61271063
the lp 60 has a magnetic cartridge i believe
>>
>>61270899
r u me
>>
>>61270899
>They won't destroy your records

If you had an electron microscope you should shit your pants if you saw what the 7 to 8 grams of pressure with a shit stylus does to your records.

These cheap Crosley and offbrand turntables do in fact ruin your records whether you want to believe it or not.
>>
>>61270992
>I suggest the LP-60 if you want a cheap temp player

Don't listen to this guy for the love of christ. Just save up your money and get at least an AT120 or better, or look on craigslist and get a Technics. DO NOT waste your money on the LP60, it's a complete waste and only barely better than a Crosley.
>>
>>61270860
4+ times as damaging as a decent player, and that's only taking into account the fact that they apply more tracking force. Add the lack of anti-skating and other adjustments, and you get something looking more and more like a vinyl torture device than a turntable.
>>
File: 1450991575696.jpg (40 KB, 285x375) Image search: [Google]
1450991575696.jpg
40 KB, 285x375
Guys should I go to guitar center to buy a turntable? I just want to get something technics
>>
>>61271631
Technics aren't made anymore you can only get them on the secondhand market.

Your best bets are Stanton, Audio-Technica (in the lower price range). A lot of people recommend the U-Turn Orbit but that thing is a piece of shit imo. They want an extra $40 for a cue, it's a massive rip off. Expect to spend at least $250. The only way to get something quality for less than that is to buy used, but keep in mind you will need to buy a new stylus when you get a used player so that will add to your costs.
>>
>>61271754
Would a Stanton T.92 be good for scratching and listening to vinyls?
>>
i got a jensen for xmas. am i fucked?
>>
>>61271754
Why is uturn orbit a piexe of shit
>>
>>61272019
I have a suspicion that lowend belt driven turntables like the U-Turn don't keep accurate rotations. It likely will play the songs longer or shorter than they are supposed to. I know crosleys definitely rotate at wonky speeds because I have tested it myself personally. The main thing that bothers me about the U-Turn is that it's bare bones as hell, costs extra for the cue, and doesn't have a proper dust cover. It's overpriced for what it is honestly.

>>61271884
The T.92 is a good turntable. Make sure if you're going to scratch that you have a stylus suited for it or you will break it. Also make sure you set up the turntable correctly (use the correct tracking weight, and make sure the stylus head is centered for example). I've posted this before but I'll post it again, it's essential for anyone new to turntables that wants to know how to set it up properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsvAqTBI_7Y
>>
>>61270899
not like Oasis records are worth preserving

im just glad you got the 120 in time to not ruin suffys masterpieces
>>
File: 281430i8_ts.jpg (131 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
281430i8_ts.jpg
131 KB, 1155x1155
No counterweight, had to attach a hair tie to weigh it down :/

That being said, it's only for decoration now.
>>
>>61273064
This. Crosleys are pretty okay for a retro aesthetic if you're not serious about actively playing records on it. Maybe for a party once in a while. I wouldn't spend the money though.
>>
>>61270899
i have a lp60 collecting dust cause i read that itll damage your lps (i only have 6) saw a 120 for $150 on craigslist, buy or no?
>>
>>61271378
Obviously, they do. But it's only noticeable if you play them every single day.
>>
>>61271408
This is a meme.
The only bad thing about the LP60 is that is has no counterweight.
It will do less damage than crosley and is a very good record player for people with small collections or casual listeners.
>>
>>61273414
For fucking sure. And sell your LP60 too.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.