[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John Zorn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: John-Zorn.jpg (15 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
John-Zorn.jpg
15 KB, 320x213
Can someone give me the run down on Zorn? He is just a musician that has such a huge backlog of music and projects pumping out album after album since I think the seventies. I have listened to some Naked City and some of the experimental stuff with Patton. Where do I start to really sink my teeth in? Are there any era's or projects that stand out with him?
>>
>>61267088
He's a meme

Don't bother

Listen to Mozart and Bach instead
>>
>>61267088
Guy looks like a dork.
>>
>>61267101
Untrue
>>61267088
He has a wide variety of musical projects. What are you into now?
>>
The Big Gundown, Bar Kokhba and The Circle Maker are the best places to start.
>>
File: Top 50 albums.jpg (2 MB, 1485x950) Image search: [Google]
Top 50 albums.jpg
2 MB, 1485x950
>>61267120
Ill probably regret posting this since it's dated and has no jazz actually on there. Just give me the what's what.
>>
>>61267288
Cont

Albums I'm going to check out tomorrow are John Zorn's A Dreamers Christmas because it's Christmas and Electric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness. If I have time (mountains of madness is pushing three hours I think) Ill look into the masada project.
>>
>>61267288
>shaolin death squad
aye
>>
>>61267101
>Listen to Mozart and Bach instead

What? How is that at all similar. You don't seem very musically knowledgeable.
>>
Here's a complete guide: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheJoeyTaylor/john_zorn__ranked/

Since you already have listened to Naked City, I'd recommend Mount Analogue next, or a Dreamers album like O'o or The Goddess if you don't mind softer, upbeat music. And a Masada/Bar Kokhba release (maybe Book of Angels X: Lucifer) for Jewish music. Electric Masada: At the Mountains of Madness is great if you like fusion jazz.
>>
>>61267594
>How is that at all similar
you''re right it's not it's just musically better in every way.
>>
File: adsf.jpg (446 KB, 1280x1569) Image search: [Google]
adsf.jpg
446 KB, 1280x1569
>>61267088
he's like albini's long lost brother or something
>>
>>61267921
>hurr I listen to entry level classical instead of avant garde jazz, i'm so smart and cool pls pay attention to me
>>
>>61267924
Aw fuck man I opened this thread so I could make an albini joke and you ruined it
>>
>>61267288
>>61267319
Check out Simulacrum. They put out three albums this year. Also the Dreamers Christmas album is great, check out the other Dreamers albums as well.
>>
>>61267147
I'd say these and:
Pain Killer - Guts Of a Virgin
Pain Killer - Execution Ground
Electric Masada - At The Mountain Of Madness
Spy Vs. Spy: The Music Of Ornette Coleman
Mysterium
Mount Analogue
Nova Express
50th birthday celebration Vol.2
Nani Nani
Nani Nani II
Masada - Live In Middelheim, Tonic or Sevilla
>>
Moonchild is top tier

Also the shit he's done with Trey Spruance is great as well
>>
>>61267101

But anon, Mozart and Bach are memecore classical. I'd strongly advise to off yourself family
>>
File: 1450846496164[1].jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1450846496164[1].jpg
12 KB, 480x360
people on here jerk off his abrasive projects but they have no idea what they're talking bout

his game piece concepts are pretty fascinating. his mid 80s concept albums are just pure music-nerd candy

he's worked exclusively with some of the best musicians in the world since like 1979 so reading the credits of his albums will give you two to fifteen new artists to check out

his label tzadik is fucking based and you should check out stuff off of it at sheer random

i love tons of his projects but recently he's focused on chamber shit and metal trash that sounds very samey and pretentious to me

i can tell you tons of projects of his to check out

he also plays a MEAN sax once you get used to his vibing.

Overall great entry point into lots of modern styles and concepts of music, if you can get past his douchy personality. Anyone who calls him a hack has no idea what they're talking about and anyone who says he's the best fucking thing ever has no idea what he's talking about. Take a good long time to explore his discography, his collaborators (Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, George Lewis, Derek Bailey, Mr. Bungle clique) and fucking enjoy the ride and when you're done you'll be fifty times more patrician if you paid attention
>>
>>61269398
I agree with this guy, especially
>his label tzadik is fucking based and you should check out stuff off of it at sheer random
bunch of neat stuff there
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.